• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, I need Smash X PlayStation All-Stars.

mindsale

Why would Nintendo characters waste their precious Smash time on B-listers?

That and nobody wants Kratos around. He bums people out.

What about new Norse Papa Kratos? I'm genuinely intrigued now that he isn't exclusively a rage factory.

Edit: I'm guessing that original Greek-flavored Kratos would have a more unique moveset.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why should Nintendo characters hang out with people not in their league?

Sony doesn't own Crash nor Snake/Raiden. The rest of the characters mentioned aren't that big nor do they have a rivalry like Sonic vs Mario

mindsale

Why should Nintendo characters hang out with people not in their league?

That's a case by case.

I think Parappa is a more resonant cartoon canid than Star Fox. I think Nathan Drake is more noteworthy than Shulk (and I am a colossal Xenoblade fan).

Obviously Pokémon, Zelda, and Mario are peerless for notoriety within and without of the industry, but for every Link, Nintendo's got an Olimar.

EvB

If you want a crossover with a terrible Smash brothers clone, why not go the whole hog and have it vs Dreammix TV fighters.

mindsale

I don't know why I made this list, but here's a contemporary Sony roster. Heavy on humans.

Adult Ellie - The Last of Us Part II
Aloy - Horizon Zero Dawn
Bentley - Sly Cooper
Captain Quark - Ratchet & Clank
Chloe Frazier - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Cole MacGrath - Infamous
Colonel Radec - Killzone 2
Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot
Dart Feld - Legend of Dragoon
Delson Rowe - Infamous
Diver - Abzu
Elena Fisher - Uncharted
Fat Princess - Fat Princess
"Fetch" Walker - Infamous
Gallahad - The Order 1886
Ico & Yorda - Ico
Isi - The Order 1886
Jak, Daxter - Jak and Daxter
Jodi Holmes - Beyond Two Souls
Joel - The Last of Us
Joseph Cappelli - Resistance III
Kara - Detroit, Become Human
Kat - Gravity Rush
Knack - Knack
Kratos - God of War
Kratos - God of War (2017 - assuming he no longer wields Chains of Chaos)
Lammy - Um Jammer Lammy
LocoRoco - LocoRoco
Madison Paige - Heavy Rain
Maya "Echo" Visari - Killzone Shadow Fall
Murray - Sly Cooper
Nariko - Heavenly Sword
Nathan Drake - Uncharted
Nathan Hale - Resistance
Nefarious - Ratchet & Clank
Nil - Horizon Zero Dawn
Parappa - PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon - Patapon
Pilot - Wipeout
Psycho - Until Dawn
Rau - Mark of Kri
Raven - Gravity Rush
Ratchet & Clank - Ratchet & Clank
Revenant (player character) - Bloodborne
Robbit - Jumping Flash
Scott Shelby - Heavy Rain
Tati - Mark of Kri II
Trico - The Last Guardian (this will be Sony's Ridley - "too big," they'll cry)
Sackboy LittleBigPlanet
Scarf Folk - Journey
Sir Daniel Fortesque - MediEvil
Sly Cooper - Sly Cooper
Spike - Ape Escape
Sweet Tooth - Twisted Metal
Toro Inoue - Doko Demo Issyo
Victor Sullivan - Uncharted
Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
Yunica - Gravity Rush
Zeus - God of War

Pizza

I'd rather Sony just make the competitive smash game that Nintendo refuses to

Like, copy the control scheme blatantly and focus up on balancing and good competitive stages instead of "lol u can play on final destination I guess"

If the game was tight and kickass, I could see it getting a following even if they still couldn't get the mondo third party characters that everyone wants

mindsale

Like, copy the control scheme blatantly and focus up on balancing and good competitive stages instead of "lol u can play on final destination I guess"

If the game was tight and kickass, I could see it getting a following even if they still couldn't get the mondo third party characters that everyone wants

The mechanics of PlayStation All Stars are incredible. Characters like Radec and Kratos combo smoothly and everything feels right about how they accrue percentages.

The problem is that the finishers - specials that you activate at a percentage threshold - are woefully imbalanced and ruin the tight, excellent gameplay.

Sadist

What about new Norse Papa Kratos? I'm genuinely intrigued now that he isn't exclusively a rage factory.

Edit: I'm guessing that original Greek-flavored Kratos would have a more unique moveset.
I was joking somewhat;

I just don't think the majority of Sony characters have enough starpower to assemble a roster with enough appeal to fight a Nintendo roster.

Kratos vs. Pitt... eh

mindsale

I was joking somewhat;

I just don't think the majority of Sony characters have enough starpower to assemble a roster with enough appeal to fight a Nintendo roster.

Kratos vs. Pitt... eh

That fight would not end happily for the ESRB. Kratos has a pretty bad habit of doing awful things to pretty winged creatures, especially those rooted in religion.

Why would Sony or Nintendo ever make a game that would help the other company? I'd assume you'd have Sakurai make the game, since All-Stars was shit, but why would Nintendo want one of their biggest IPs on a competitor's box? And if it was only on Switch, how does that benefit Sony at all? It isn't like Nintendo is hurting to push sales of Smash and needs a colab with Sony.

This is mindless wishful thinking.

If PSASBR copied Smash exactly, it would've been more well-received. What a disappointment its gameplay is.

Jamix012

I really enjoyed PSASBR, but reading your list made me chuckle with how bad Sony's side compares to Nintendo's. I would welcome a PSAS 2 or a Nintendo X Capcom (a much better roster) but this idea...nah, it's a joke in my opinion. Hell Nintendo X Sega would be better...

Note: I think overall Sony's roster of games as a whole compares pretty well to Nintendo's, but when it comes to recognizable and iconic characters...

A Sega crossover makes a ton more sense and that won't happen either.

Which is good. Focus resources on making a ton of Nintendo characters with a select few guests from various third-party. companies.

mindsale

It'd be cool to see it both on the Switch and the PS4 if that would happen.

It's a glorious pipe dream.

A greater leaning on Sony stages on the PS4, A greater leaning on Nintendo stages on the Switch. The best ones shared between the two. Like the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros. That'd be something.

casiopao

I don't know why I made this list, but here's a contemporary Sony roster. Heavy on humans.

Aloy - Horizon Zero Dawn
Bentley - Sly Cooper
Captain Quark - Ratchet & Clank
Cole MacGrath - Infamous
Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot
Delson Rowe - Infamous
Diver - Abzu
Elena Fisher - Uncharted
Fat Princess - Fat Princess
Ico & Yorda - Ico
Isi - The Order 1886
Joel - The Last of Us
Kat - Gravity Rush
Knack - Knack
Kratos - God of War
Lammy - Um Jammer Lammy
LocoRoco - LocoRoco
Murray - Sly Cooper
Nariko - Heavenly Sword
Nathan Drake - Uncharted
Nathan Hale - Resistance
Nefarious - Ratchet & Clank
Nil - Horizon Zero Dawn
Parappa - PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon - Patapon
Pilot - Wipeout
Psycho - Until Dawn
Rau - Mark of Kri
Raven - Gravity Rush
Robbit - Jumping Flash
Tati - Mark of Kri II
Trico - The Last Guardian (this will be Sony's Ridley - "too big," they'll cry)
Sackboy LittleBigPlanet
Scarf Folk - Journey
Sir Daniel Fortesque - MediEvil
Sly Cooper - Sly Cooper
Spike - Ape Escape
Toro Inoue - Doko Demo Issyo
Yunica - Gravity Rush
Zeus - God of War

Except for a certain few from the list....the only thing we will get from that list is too many human size character lol.

mindsale

Except for a certain few from the list....the only thing we will get from that list is too many human size character lol.

Aloy - Horizon Zero Dawn
Cole MacGrath - Infamous
Delson Rowe - Infamous
Elena Fisher - Uncharted
Isi - The Order 1886
Joel - The Last of Us
Kat - Gravity Rush
Kratos - God of War
Lammy - Um Jammer Lammy
Nariko - Heavenly Sword
Nathan Drake - Uncharted
Nathan Hale - Resistance
Nil - Horizon Zero Dawn
Psycho - Until Dawn
Rau - Mark of Kri
Raven - Gravity Rush
Robbit - Jumping Flash
Tati - Mark of Kri II
Yunica - Gravity Rush
Zeus - God of War

I trimmed the list to all the characters who're all human-heighted. It's uh, a few.

The only Rachet and Clank they need is the original version from the PS2 era.
New one is lame.

Sony should just give all stars another shot. Make it scream Love Letter to PlayStation

Jezan

PS All-stars and I wonder what stars are they talking about, there is nothing outstanding there, most characters look like "safe iconic" characters, if that makes sense.

That's a case by case.

I think Parappa is a more resonant cartoon canid than Star Fox. I think Nathan Drake is more noteworthy than Shulk (and I am a colossal Xenoblade fan).

Obviously Pokémon, Zelda, and Mario are peerless for notoriety within and without of the industry, but for every Link, Nintendo's got an Olimar.
You are doing it wrong, you don't compare Star Fox to Parappa, it's actually like:

Kirby is more resonant than Parappa. Link is more noteworthy than Nathan. Shulk has only one game and Nathan has 4, what do you expect?

Nintendo vs Capcom, makes more sense and there's "iconic" everywhere.

mindsale

PS All-stars and I wonder what stars are they talking about, there is nothing outstanding there, most characters look like "safe iconic" characters, if that makes sense.

You are doing it wrong, you don't compare Star Fox to Parappa, it's actually like:

Kirby is more resonant than Parappa. Link is more noteworthy than Nathan. Shulk has only one game and Nathan has 4, what do you expect?

I was just quickly comparing canids (dog vs fox) and humans (plunderer vs savior).
The biggest game characters in the world are Mario, Link, and Pikachu.

Samemind

I mean, yes. Part of the appeal of massive crossover projects is just the idea that companies are able to bring down the legal barriers keeping these IPs apart, when they are otherwise immovable mountains. So the idea of the most insurmountable of barriers coming down for this concept is exciting for the sheer novelty.

But this is just like a smaller part of the dream of "Fuck it, put everything in it" a-la MUGEN. One of those dreams that's possible on paper, but so infeasible that we may as well forget it.

A sequel to Playstation All-Stars, on the other hand...

Or we can keep Smash separate and have a good game rather than a fleeting selling point.

There's already project m if you need to see all these characters fight each other, regardless of quality.

RIP All Stars

mindsale

You need mascots for it, Realistic characters are better suited for traditional fighting games.

A lot of these characters are gun-toting though, so I think a brawler works more favorably than say, a Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat fighter.

Also you kind of need Snake and Cloud and Lara and Crash and Spyro, and getting Nintendo on board smoothes out some of the Snake and Cloud licensing in this million-to-one proposal.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'll just take a Sony and Microsoft rep for Smash 5. They can put Kratos or Nathan Drake in, and Microsoft can put Master Chief and Banjo in.

Just let every company have one or two reps.

mindsale

Metacritic of 74. Publishers hate anything below a 85.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale

Plus, a fighter without a hardcore community isn't gonna last.

I can only guess at the sales numbers.

Nowhere to go but up!

All-Stars felt so rushed. The campaign pairing was terrible. The finishers were imbalanced and weak compared with a Ring-Out combat. But models were good, and characters' base movesets were excellent. That said, characters necessary for the game just weren't licensed (Team Ico, Lara, Snake, Cloud, Spyro, Crash), and that was pretty problematic in and of itself because of how much third-party identity Sony cultivated, especially during the PS1 era, and how much brand-association came with them.

Menus were pretty awful from what I recall and the whole thing felt bare-bones. Writing for taunts and intros was also pretty poor ("It's Drake time!"). If Sony were to iterate on a sequel and apply a Ring-Out format rather than a super-focus, I can see a very capable game being made.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I think you can keep your hopes up and this will probably launch alongside PS4 Remote Play for Switch

dh4niel

I'd rather have a traditional fighting game as opposed to another Smash clone if we had another PlayStation All-Stars.

Top Bottom