• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 2: Which Console Version Should I Buy?

Greekboy

Banned
I apologize for the topic but I own all 3 consoles and have yet to even rent this title but I've noticed that it is now selling for a paltry $29.99 here in Canada and want to pick it up. I'm leaning towards the GCN version but the controller has me worried. Should I be?

Thanks for any help.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Unless you're set on playing as Link, I'd recommend the Xbox version--better gfx (nothing too crazy of course) and control w/ the stock controller.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
If you don't have a problem with the GCN controller otherwise, it probably won't bother you in this game. If you find yourself consistently wishing you could use something else instead, SC2 will probably only compound your frustrations.

Also, as was mentioned, the Xbox has the 720p mode, if you're equipped to use it. Fighting as Link is undeniably cool, though.

beerbelly

Banned
Get the Xbox version if you want the best looking version. Link is not really a useful character but if you want GCN's version because of him, then get it. I have the PS2 version and I don't really like the game...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
GC version. It has Link and the stock GC controller actually works pretty well. It's the best selling version of the three. All those people can't be wrong can they? ;)

Shompola

Banned
Spawn is surprisingly well implemented in the game. But to be honest I don't recommend the game at all. It's kinda bleh.

ge-man

The controller isn't much of problem on the GC. However, 720p and the best surround sound track make the Xbox version the best buy for those who might not be too concern about the exclusive characters, which is the only substanstial difference between each version. If the characters are more important to you, then IMO Link would be the best choice.

Matlock

Banned
I'd recommend the GC version myself. The controls are a-ok, Link is a great (albeit goofy) exterior character, and the graphics and sound are right up there with the Xbox version.

Heck, when I first bought the game (Imported) I took it up to play on a 50 inch widescreen HDTV with a 5.1 surround. Even though it didn't take full advantage of the setup (widescreen, dpl II), it was still pretty damn impressive.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
beerbelly said:
Get the Xbox version if you want the best looking version. Link is not really a useful character but if you want GCN's version because of him, then get it. I have the PS2 version and I don't really like the game...
Actually, Link isvery useful if your not a fighting game afficando and has a small learning curve. Definetly a better char than Spawn or 'heichi. And the difference in resolution is better on xbox, the GC rev is very pleasing to the eye. If the idea of playing with Link appeals to you, then definetly get that version. If not, then its really a crap shoot with whatever version you get.

PS2 if you like heihachi. ps2 also supports some wierd 480Progressive i think?? I lose around 200 lines from the top/bottom of the screen.
It looks pretty good on my crappy HD TV, dont know about surround, i hate using my Audio reciever when playing games.

Shompola

Banned
CurlySaysX said:
PS2 if you like heihachi. ps2 also supports some wierd 480Progressive i think?? I lose around 200 lines from the top/bottom of the screen.
It looks pretty good on my crappy HD TV, dont know about surround, i hate using my Audio reciever when playing games.

Sounds like a SHITTY PAL 50 implementation with those borders.

Sounds like a SHITTY PAL 50 implementation with those borders.

It doesn't have borders, and it's on progressive mode.
the picture which I lose is outside of the screen area, doesn't really affect the game as you can move the life bars up or down anyway.
Maybe my tv doesn't detect the proper Progressive mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't get addicted to the GC controller!! It is a CRUTCH.

I imported the GC version, and became decent with the GC pad...but I find it hard to move around to other control devices for this game. The GC pad is fine if you plan on sticking ONLy to the GC version, though...

Shompola

Banned
CurlySaysX said:
It doesn't have borders, and it's on progressive mode.
the picture which I lose is outside of the screen area, doesn't really affect the game as you can move the life bars up or down anyway.
Maybe my tv doesn't detect the proper Progressive mode.

Ok I know the 720P mode on Xbox does that, but not 480P mode,

I love playing as Link and have no trouble with the controls on a GC controller whatsoever. Hori digital pad might help if you're used to SNES/PSX style though.

belgurdo

Banned
Get a stick and buy any version. Shame on you if you only buy one version just to play as the exclusive characters (who aren't that great anyway)

dark10x

akascream said:
Hehe, usually the GCN controller isn't good enough.. but for SC2, its just too damn good. Damned if it is, damned if it ain't.

It actually IS very good (though not necessarily better). I love using it, but it has seriously damaged my ability to play in any tournaments or against other people in unfamiliar settings. I play so much better with a Cube pad over an arcade stick or DS2...but that has become a major prorblem.

Deg

Banned
Its fine in SC2. Luckily because of the button setup. Wouldnt work that well in a game like Tekken. Arcade sticks rule. They make you use the analogue stick on the controllers because of habit.

Lisa Lashes said:
I apologize for the topic but I own all 3 consoles and have yet to even rent this title but I've noticed that it is now selling for a paltry $29.99 here in Canada and want to pick it up. I'm leaning towards the GCN version but the controller has me worried. Should I be?

Thanks for any help.
gotta catch em all.. like i did...

dark10x

segasonic said:
Buy the Dreamcast version. It's the same game...

No, actually it isn't. However, you've just admitted that you know little about Soul Calibur...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Xbox version edges out as the best one, no question about it. All three are very close in every way, though, but if you have an HDTV, Xbox version has 720p, so it's the clear choice for that fact alone.

belgurdo

Banned
dark10x said:
No, actually it isn't.

Yeah, no walls that add nothing to the gameplay and a full roster of clones instead of "new" characters created out of the movesets of two or more characters

Greekboy

Banned
The gaming store around the corner from where I live said they should have a copy in for me in about a half hour. Let's see if they can deliver.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For me, it was between the GCN and PS2 versions, and I got the GCN one. Fantastic game, and very slick controls.

Link rox. And the two Zelda themes in the game are lovely.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Don't understand all this love for 720p. Soul Calibur 2 in 720p sucks on Xbox. For some stupid reason, 720p doesn't support widescreen TV's, but 480p does. Although I have the option to run in 720p, I play in 480p all the time. The Xbox version suffers from no slowdown, which the PS2 has in abundance.

The PS2 version is the one most tournaments are run on, so if you're in it for the $, might want to go PS2.

NGC's controller is good if you like it, but you'll have a major problem switching over to Xbox, PS2, or arcade if you learn on that controller because the buttons are laid out completely different from the other three.

Greekboy

Banned
AniHawk said:
I should probably pick up SCII someday. Always wanted to play the first, but never picked it up.

Damn you Anihawk! I went nuts when I saw HOTD2 and Sega Bass Fishing on my brotherinlaw's imported DC. When I bought SC I went really nuts. I hope SC2 brings some of that nostalgia back although I am not foolish enough to expect a full SC DC experience.

EDIT: So I just picked up the GCN version of SC2 for $29.99 ($19.99 US) but the shocker was this. They also had VJ brand new for the same price and I was soooooo tempted but I didn't pick it up.

Why is VJ priced so cheaply?

Renegade

Banned
Thankfully I have the Xbox version and a modded Xbox. Best of all 3 worlds.

Oh, and Spawn is overpowered. He just slaughters every other exclusive character. So far you can swap Link's/Heihachi's movesets into SC2 Xbox replacing a former characters but textures are still a bit off. Work's being done on it though.

AniHawk

Lisa Lashes said:
Damn you Anihawk! I went nuts when I saw HOTD2 and Sega Bass Fishing on my brotherinlaw's imported DC. When I bought SC I went really nuts. I hope SC2 brings some of that nostalgia back although I am not foolish enough to expect a full SC DC experience.

EDIT: So I just picked up the GCN version of SC2 for $29.99 ($19.99 US) but the shocker was this. They also had VJ brand new for the same price and I was soooooo tempted but I didn't pick it up.

Why is VJ priced so cheaply?

VJ didn't sell like they wanted it to (over 300,000, I guess was their projection). So my guess is that stores had a lot of copies sitting around, and to move them they had to lower the price.

signet

my 2 cents,

Xbox version if you want the best version.

or

GC version if you want a good fighter for the system.

there is no reason to get the PS2 version.

Hero

720p is awesome. Too bad it doesn't support 16:9.

Link > Spawn > Heihachi.

Imported the GCN version last year.

Top Bottom