• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 2: Which Console Version Should I Buy?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Journeywalker said:
Wait, the GCN version sold the most! It must be the best!

...by that logic, 90% (AT LEAST) of the multiplatform titles are at their worst on Gamecube. ;P

I piss people off with this move :D

015.jpg

After playing SFAC I've concluded that no one should purchase it, because Capcom is retarded and somehow made the graphics worse than ports from years ago.

But don't buy SCII either though, its equally as bad in the gameplay dept. :(

Agent X

DarkGiygas said:
After playing SFAC I've concluded that no one should purchase it, because Capcom is retarded and somehow made the graphics worse than ports from years ago.

Please elaborate.

Oh, and did you play the US version?

Import.

You know how the DC version had all those different video modes, and de-interlaced made the graphics crisp? Well the PS2 version only has a filter that you can turn on and off, and even with it off it's still twice as blurry as the normal DC graphics. My eyes were actually hurting after like 20min of playing.

I guess it would be worth it because they have the original guard system in it, which allows for unblockables, and also the arcade parry timing, but the graphics are just retarded looking.

Damn you Capcom.

dark10x said:
I play so much better with a Cube pad.

Remember that time I trounced everybody in the room (thou included) when I used the wavebird? God damn that could have been some good round robin... then I told the retarded guy that Ivy was supposed to be on the back of his shirt. Yeah, I guess I'm the asshole.

And another thing, D, why the hell don't you call me up when a thread like this is going on? It ain't hard.

I have to agree that the XBOX version is the best version to get, since the frame drops somehow made it into the PS2. But do consider carefully who you are going to be playing with. If your visitors are likely to be more used to a Dual Shock 2 than anything else, you'll get fewer complaints by providing them one. Remember that the skill of your opponents is going to make your game experience, and they won't even try if they think they can't get used to the controller.

Course, you could always get a coupla proper sticks and eliminate the question, usually works eventually.

If anybody wants to hear stories about SC2 complaints or about adaptor hell, just ask me. I will write you a fucking book.

Sysgen

Eggo said:
Don't understand all this love for 720p. Soul Calibur 2 in 720p sucks on Xbox. For some stupid reason, 720p doesn't support widescreen TV's, but 480p does. Although I have the option to run in 720p, I play in 480p all the time. The Xbox version suffers from no slowdown, which the PS2 has in abundance.

The PS2 version is the one most tournaments are run on, so if you're in it for the $, might want to go PS2.

NGC's controller is good if you like it, but you'll have a major problem switching over to Xbox, PS2, or arcade if you learn on that controller because the buttons are laid out completely different from the other three.

It does not suck.. My TV upconverts the game into 1080i and I play it in FULL mode or widescreen and the game looks incredible.

Dujour

Banned
I've got all three versions, and the best one in my opinion is the Xbox one. The GC controller does pose some problems that can't totally be adressed by reconfiguring the buttons. Unless you want to keep repositioning your hands, the xbox controller (buttons stick out more) followed by the ps2 version are the ones you want. The PS2 has the slower loading time, but it's only a pain if you're used to other superior ones (in that respect). Spawn's great for speed and power, but doesn't have much distance (aside from his fireball). Link's quick and kinda weak, but you'll have so much fun with his projectiles (which aren't really as cheesy as I originally thought) and classic moves. Heihachi's really damned strong, but he's only effective at close range. If you've played tekken, this is your game (only one kick button, though).

Dujour

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Why is it that really good games like SCII have its share of haters? ::sigh::
Because 1) not everyone has taste/skill or 2) they want to be unique, damned middle children.

segasonic

dark10x said:
No, actually it isn't. However, you've just admitted that you know little about Soul Calibur...
Okay, I'll correct myself then:

Buy the Dreamcast version. It's the better game.

ourumov

I'll take good taste over soul anyday of the week. SF has been milked beyond belief to the point where it has become a parody of itself.

I don't see the good taste in choosing SC2 over ANY SF title...but that's me.

About your question I liked the PS2 version the best, although I own the GC one.

Link < PS2 controller + Sharp IQ

AniHawk

ourumov said:
I don't see the good taste in choosing SC2 over ANY SF title...but that's me.

About your question I liked the PS2 version the best, although I own the GC one.

Link < PS2 controller + Sharp IQ

Shouldn't a PlayCube solve most people's problems? Or are the button arrangements completely different?

I can never understand ppl who buy a version of a game for each console. What is the point exactly? Do enjoy unlocking everything 3 times over and paying 3 times the price for the same game?

Anyway I would have voted GCN version unless you can take advantage of the Xbox's nice features.

Dujour

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
I can never understand ppl who buy a version of a game for each console. What is the point exactly? Do enjoy unlocking everything 3 times over and paying 3 times the price for the same game?

Anyway I would have voted GCN version unless you can take advantage of the Xbox's nice features.
Neither could I until the opportunity presented itself to me. I bought the other two versions at $17 each. And I'm a completist to a fault, so please envy me.

I can't play SC2 on a GC controller, the buttons are just mapped very awkwardly. Trying to hit B+K is a chore on that controller. If you have a MAS stick that works with all three systems then go with the version(s) with the exclusive characters you want to play as. Otherwise go with the Xbox version, best overall everything ... I never play the exclusive characters anyways.

I once dissed 'hachi on the PS2, but in the right hands its downright scary how quickly 'hachi can kill you. He has some crazy juggles.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
FYI -

720p is 4:3 only. In fact, IIRC, it's not even full screen at that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shompola said:
From his own opinion. what a shock.

Yeah, because he stated as an opinion. Where's my god damn rolleyes?

He CLEARLY doesn't understand the game and is not presenting his statements as opinion, but rather, FACT.

Red Dolphin said:

-So I always have the right version to play based on present company. That XBOX version rarely gets out 'round here. If your weaksauce opponents are going to agree to play against you, again, then they're going to want their favorite controller and sometimes Link.

-So I can practice with the concole specific characters so I know hwat I'd be up against.

-So I can have fun with the Gamestop clerk.

ASM: I'd like a copy of Soul Calibur 2 please.

CLERK: Ok, which version.

ASM: Oh... Why don't you decide.

CLERK: Ooooook. Well, the Gamecube version has Link. Here you are.

ASM: Thank you. Now get me the other two versions please.

CLERK: Allri- WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?!

Greekboy

Banned
One quick question guys. Does SC2 have that gallery mode where you can see each fighter perform their moves as the DC version of SC had?

shuri

Banned
720p doesnt go all the way widescreen in the xbox version. That was a gigantic letdown that nearly got me to return the game.

I cant tolerate technical fuckups.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Right now if you buy the Soul Calibur 2 arcade stick you get Soul Calibur 2 (for Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube for free). [at Futureshop]
Link

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Link is really awesome in the GC version and is by far the best special character. If you can deal with that darned GC controller I would go for Link. Though I think the ps2 and Xbox versions both sport superior control. At any rate every game has Hwa..err the Assasin anyway he's a GOD!

Nos_G

Futureshop has a deal where you could get a free game from a selected list when you buy the Soul Calibur 2 arcade stick. *

Check it out folks.

*(just saw it in this week's flyer, not sure when it starts or ends) :p

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Nos_G said:
Futureshop has a deal where you could get a free game from a selected list when you buy the Soul Calibur 2 arcade stick. *

Check it out folks.

*(just saw it in this week's flyer, not sure when it starts or ends) :p

lol
two posts up from yours :p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Hero said:
720p is awesome. Too bad it doesn't support 16:9.

Link > Spawn > Heihachi.

Imported the GCN version last year.

WRONG

Heihachi > Link > Spawn

Blackace

Drinky Crow said:
Heihachi > Link = Spawn

However, since all three games have Necrid, NO-ONE WINS.

That is so true... Necrid makes the game worse by just being in it....

Blackace

Matlock said:
Heihachi sucks. Oooh, I'm an old man who has extra-lame combo abilities.

Completely unbalanced.

I like you Matlock... but... you suck for saying such words...

LakeEarth

Link is the best. He's the cheap MASTER! To be fair, I never played as Spawn or Heitachi, but do they have a front throw that will let you win a ring out if you're even remotely close to the edge of the screen?

Hellraizah

Question : Which one is the best ?

A) Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)
B) Soul Calibur 2 (PlayStation 2)
C) Soul Calibur 2 (GameCube)

Answer :

74b9a291-3ecf-49f9-9c23-cde6289b1e6f.gif

SaitoH

I agree with Hellraizah, but I bought the Xbox version of SC2 and a PS2 controller adapter.

Spawn > Heihachi > Link

^w^

Top Bottom