• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Reaver 1&2 Remastered branding spotted at SDCC.

anthony2690

34009603.jpg

My dad will love this, he played through Soul Reaver many many times on the psone & Dreamcast :)

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’d rather they finish the story. I just watched these games playthroughs on YouTube and don’t need to replay them.

Anyone know if the original voice actors are still working? Kain is the GOAT.

Solarstrike

Not getting my hopes up just yet. However, there is hope as referenced by Draugoth Draugoth :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Jinzo Prime

Dark Horse and Eidos are both owned by Embracer so maybe they are starting to synergize between their various companies.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I called it last year, looks like it was legit!

One of the guys who was in my band moved to London years back, he does QA stuff, we had a catch up online last night and he knows I love LOK. He asked me if I played the "legacy of kain enhanced edition" yet. No, there's no such thing released.
Apparently he done QA on this.
Bit of background: Soul Reaver PC version is inferior and crap for many reasons - no dynamic music which ruins the atmosphere, bad controls etc.
This is like a Nightdive esque remaster/QOL change

He says the game has a launcher (like old PC games) where you select your res and a few other things before starting the game. Then it puts you to the classic main menu where the priests change to vampires slowly.
it has dynamic music and a quicksave. I told him Arnie's dad in Twins was the elder god, but he's died, had the voices changed? He says he doesn't think so but he mostly skipped cutscenes because that's not what he was checking (cutscenes couldn't be skipped in all original versions).

Why I don't believe him:
-He is a joker

Why I do believe him:
-Soul Reaver hasn't been relisted on GOG or Steam, and even after many required mods the releases are bad due to no dynamic music and other bugs
-This playtest is PC/mac only
-This playtest is being arranged via email with random survey participants over the internet - hardly leak proof for a big new game. Suits something smaller and low-key
-he said his QA work was done "a few months ago

I’ll never doubt him again!

CamHostage

Aww shit... They better throw in Blood Omen too though, dammit.

The Blood Onens could be their own pack. Would be more attractive as a 4pack (or 5pack? not sure where Defiance fits best?), but these two are the most in demand, plus Blood Omen 1 would likely need a lot of reconstruction work (though I'm curious how that GoG re-release performs?)

CamHostage

I welcome this with open hearts, however they need to release these in proper order! You need blood omen to understand the complete story IMHO they should remake it

I'm sure it helps (even though the Shifter roots don't completely intertwine, ) but the fact is, Soul Reaver was the hit. Any resurrection of the franchise would do best to play off the SR nostalgia and then regrow the rest of the series rather than trying to get SR old timers to also consider Blood Omen. (They had a hard enough time getting BO2 to catch on back when this series and its characters were all viable. )

Also, a good Blood Omen 1 remake/remaster would be a pretty involved project, even if it was a bolt-on visual upgrade like the TR remaster; the game engine itself would need work, and the audio likely needs remastering (though I don't know that original recordings would have been preserved to go back to the tapes, and it would be a shame to re-record.)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Will probably be LRG again like with tomb raider trilogy 🥲
I think LRG is handling the collector's edition and the Xbox physical release. The PS5, Switch standard and deluxe edition should be available at retail (already pre-ordered my tomb raider deluxe edition from a local video game store).

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I never played SR2. The reviews about it were very mid.

The first was strange, it was a very good game, but blantantly unfinished.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I applied for the beta and wasnt selected. But stoked it's finally coming out. Never did get around to playing Soul Reaver 2 but played the first one several times on PS1.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Fucking yawn
Another remaster. Gamers born before 1966 must be really excited

Last edited:

jcorb

For me, what would totally seal the deal would be some kind of “visual novel/animation” of Blood Omen. Adding the cut content would be awesome, however I could imagine that could fuck with the narrative of future games.

Concept art, behind the scenes footage (if any exists), and interviews with the original devs would be awesome as well.

Top Bottom