• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Reaver 1&2 Remastered branding spotted at SDCC.

cZSJNs6.jpeg

emivita

Soul Reaver 1 is great. Soul Reaver 2? Not that much, I remember I hated the backtracking and the long ass cutscenes.

If a remaster is coming I hope they fix the missing dynamic music from the PC version and use a higher polygon count on everything, or at least the DC version as a base version.
They probably will use AI. Esrgan or something similar and call it a day. But I hope to be proven wrong.

Results in Thief.

What do folks want for a remaster of this?

For me 4k, 60 fps, and improved controls with the obvious higher res textures is all I suppose.

I just want better controls, restored dynamic music, and hopefully the Dreamcast character models.

There's actually a really good fanmade HD texture patch for the Dreamcast version which currently makes it my favorite way to play 1.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Maybe if these see success (if even true) we might see a new entry or even a reboot of the series. Blood Omen also deserves some love.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Maybe if these see success (if even true) we might see a new entry or even a reboot of the series. Blood Omen also deserves some love.
But why would you want that? All the original creatives are long gone, the Dead Sun game (rightfully and thankfully cancelled) looked diabolical and an insult to the series.

If there were a reboot it would probably be just as derivative as Dead Sun, I'd expect a souls-like because of course.

Really hope SR1 is based on Dreamcast version, which is still to this day the best version. How they are anot also throwing a collection with Blood Omen 2 and Defiance? And finally, hope someday Dreamcast Soul Reaver 2 gets leaked!

00_Zer0

GOG only and there's a superior version out there anyways.

They need to bring Blood Omen to ALL platforms. Doing just Soul Reaver 1 & 2 remastered is shit.
Where is the superior version of Blood Omen? Is it someone who modded the game with better results than the GOG version?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I love the LOK series and I'll always cherish my memories I had with them and that includes even the mediocre blood omen 2 and Defiance, thing is, these games' strong points were always the narrative and amazeballs voice acting (for the time), gameplay always came a very distant second and I'm pretty sure that it has aged like milk by today's standards...

I really, really don't know if I want to play them again to be honest.

These games need to be remade IMO and after that have some sort of sequel - simple "remasters" just ain't gonna cut it I'm afraid...

But why would you want that? All the original creatives are long gone, the Dead Sun game (rightfully and thankfully cancelled) looked diabolical and an insult to the series.

If there were a reboot it would probably be just as derivative as Dead Sun, I'd expect a souls-like because of course.
For starters because I love the characters, setting, and lore of the world. Even the mechanics of shifting between realms is a cool thing that just isn't done enough. And because I'm not cynical enough to think that there's no one able to make good games anymore.

Mossybrew

I know I played these games when they originally came out but honestly I remember fuck all about them. Didn't make much of an impression I guess.

I know I played these games when they originally came out but honestly I remember fuck all about them. Didn't make much of an impression I guess.
I remember a bunch of bits and pieces. And also an amazing voice acting which puts shame to many modern games along with excellent script and mannerism and articulation of some words.

Check out these videos:

Also bonus:

Since there is much talk about AI these days :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Last edited:

Švejk

Banned
I don't ever want to hear Vae Victus again after playing that game. It would need to be a complete remake to make it playable. The Soul Reaver games however are still playable as is.
Honestly, it's been so long since playing it... It was the first PS1 game I ever owned, so it has a certain nostalgia riding on it for me. Lol

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Did this storyline ever complete? I never played Blood Omen 2 or Defiance.
Defiance ended it one of two ways, depending on how you handle story.

Did the series have an ending? Yes.

Do you need a series to end with a simplistic “and then they all went home for lunch. The end”? Then no.

Dazraell

...Hmm, the show is open but no announcement from Crystal Dynamics yet, wonder when we'll finally catch a glimpse?
I wouldn't be surprised if statue thing was just a vague tease for Comic-Con and this will end up officially revealed next week on THQ Nordic's showcase / later next month during Gamescom's Opening Night thingie or during one of upcoming Nintendo partner showcases (like how Tomb Raider Remastered was announced in the past)

Last edited:

DonF

this are the kind of games that REALLY need a remake, not a simple remaster. Texture and res improvements are not enough. Both games are solid, but feature old style gameplay, I don't think both would do well in the current gaming landscape.

CamHostage

I remember this franchise was really well received back in the days. Never understood how it just disappeared into thin air.

It didn't really dissappear into thin air; it slowly but surely faded away in plain sight. The series had one cult hit original game, one blockbuster side-game (which was originaly its own thing, but they grafted it well,) and then 3 follow-ups which didn't do enough to keep the series alive. (There was also a multiplayer game as late as 2015/16, but it didn't make it out of early access.)

The BO/SR fanbase is fervent and vocal today, and maybe it can get started up again now, but the franchise peaked with Soul Reaver and at the time the reasons were clear why it stopped with Defiance. (That game even had a series-finale story to its structure/ ending, just in case it was the end or if the series went into full reboot after it on the next gen of platforms, which didn't happen since the reboot was canned. )

Last edited:
this are the kind of games that REALLY need a remake, not a simple remaster. Texture and res improvements are not enough. Both games are solid, but feature old style gameplay, I don't think both would do well in the current gaming landscape.
They probably wanna gauge interest after survey, if remasters sell rather well they just might consider doing a remake. But hell, with Embracer I honestly am not so sure anymore.

I suspected Deus Ex could ride the Cyberpunk 2077 wave and make a ton of money maybe with changes to it's design- make it more open and seamless. And they just killed it off.

So even if we only get remasters we can count ourselves kind of lucky, I guess.

Honestly it's kind of crazy to get a hold of such IPs like Thief and Deus Ex and do nothing with them and for a while Legacy of Kain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom