• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

frequency

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I quite liked past entries single player so it's disappointing to hear how bad it is. It's what I used to play hours on end in SC2 and 3.

I like to dabble in the online in fighting games but often get frustrated by lag or other issues, and I've never played a Soul game very competitively before. Also I'm in Australia so I don't really know how many local, non that serious, players there are. Unless I can somehow vs overseas players online with no lag I don't think I'll play a lot of it.

Anyways, I'm still considering it because my local GAME has a trade in deal where you can trade in a PS3 version of Skyrim and get this game for $28. Seems like a good deal even with all the issues in the game?

The online is very well done. I haven't played that much (about 30 matches), but I get very little lag compared to other games - even when playing with people overseas.

The lack of single player does really suck, but for $28, I'd get it right now.

I've put about 40 hours into the offline stuff and will do more.

Skilletor

If casual options are the focus here, then that's fine. But this part is patently false. I've said it before but the system changes in SCV are the biggest jump in a sequel since SoulEdge -> Soulcalibur.

In terms of move speed, not much has changed from SC4. Movement speed is below SC2 but higher than SC4. The main thing is that frames on block and hit are the best they've been since SC1. So good players can build an offensive momentum and it makes it seem as if the moves are faster because sitting on the block button won't help you get out and if you don't have meter you can't GI.

It's a shame we never got SC3AE or SC4BD on home consoles or the rankings would look much different, IMO.

To me it goes:
SC1 > SC2 > SC4 > SC3

But if you swap out the last two with their final versions it's more like:
SC3AE > SC4BD > SC1 > SC2.

I think SC5 is going to be the best in the end either way.

/respeknucks

I agree completely. SC3AE was awesome, BD seemed really good but never played anybody. SC5 is fuck awesome.

Sullichin

:)

For me, that's why fighting games are made. The online is amazing, the gameplay is awesome, and there's no better time to get online and fight people than at launch.

For all my complaining (which is really only focused on SP) I don't disagree with you here. The online is wayy better than SC4, just wish I still lived with my friends still to get the most out of local multiplayer as well. Because SC4 for me had the local multiplayer AND online going for it.

I agree fighting games are obviously made to fight against other people. But then it just leaves me wondering why the really terrible story exists :p

And Master Thespian, I'm somewhere between casual player and knowing what the hell you're talking about. I still played the shit out of SC4. It feels like an incremental upgrade in that:
- Much of the interface is the same
- The move set on my main character (Yoshi) seems almost identical to SC4. This is the main thing.
- The gameplay feels very similar but a bit faster, although I don't know the mechanics deep enough to articulate this.

I think the 2QCF supers are actually really easy to pull off (and better than whatever the super attacks in SC4 were called), it's the new guard impact that I can't get used to. Although, I used GI most when I was fighting a friend that I've fought a million times, and we knew each other's strategies in and out.

Roto13

For all my complaining (which is really only focused on SP) I don't disagree with you here. The online is wayy better than SC4, just wish I still lived with my friends still to get the most out of local multiplayer as well. Because SC4 for me had the local multiplayer AND online going for it.

SCIV was so bad online that as far as I'm concerned, SCV is the first one with a proper online mode. There was so much lag in IV it was like playing a different game. Guard Impacts were basically impossible without guessing or predicting the future.

Sullichin

SCIV was so bad online that as far as I'm concerned, SCV is the first one with a proper online mode. There was so much lag in IV it was like playing a different game. Guard Impacts were basically impossible without guessing or predicting the future.

Oh SC5 is definitely improved so much over SC4s online. It was MOSTLY laggy matches and "Session not found" messages. Really shit. Every once in a while I'd get a good match though. Really happy with the much better online in this game.

Ferrio

Banned
I should be defined it as does Tira anything in Natsu's AA league?

When I was in training Natsu's A interrupts the B follow up at close range. At the edge of 4A, the B followup wins. The A follow up. Well most people can see it anyway. Come to think of it, Natsu's A might not have been the best choice given it's high speed.

No, she has no high speed moves. Quickest she has is her headbutt (self damaging move and risky) at i13.

Relinking these vids, just in case anyone has any good SC tips on stuff I'm doing wrong.

Tira (ferrio) vs Pyhrra (SleepyKyo/DojiKyo). The endings to round 1 and 3 are awesome in this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObS1M7yo8TY

Tira (ferrio) vs Pyhrra (SleepyKyo/DojiKyo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrFiMGTgP_k

FinKL

Hrmm looked up the attack. 4A is at -8, which means there's nothing I can do to interrupt the next attacks I believe. Not sure how the impact / disadvantage works with chains....

Guess I'll have to test.

I play Pyrrha, pretty much single digit and 10, 11, sometimes 12? frame disadvantage is completely safe (I think Natsu has the fastest attack at 9-11? Don't remember)

Although it's safe (you can't punish it), you should be attacking since anything she throws out will be hit with a counter hit as long as you pick a fast-medium speed move. (AA or BB is a good choice if range permits and she's mashing AA/BB). Watch the videos above, I noticed a lot of side stepping so AA would of been a good choice. Although its not a lot of damage, it's something + it puts you in Advantage for a frame trap. Just be aware that some of Pyrrha's moves have evasive properties. If she 4A's again or Angel Steps, it ducks Highs, if she B+K (Sidestep Shield Swipe), she hops over Lows & evades Non-tracking Verticals. So find a move that hits Mid, fast-medium speed, and is safe after her 4A :p

Ferrio

Banned
Although it's safe (you can't punish it), you should be attacking since anything she throws out will be hit with a counter hit as long as you pick a fast-medium speed move. (AA or BB is a good choice if range permits and she's mashing AA/BB). Just be aware that some of Pyrrha's moves have evasive properties. If she 4A's again or Angel Steps, it ducks Highs, if she B+K (Sidestep Shield Swipe), she hops over Lows & evades Non-tracking Verticals. So find a move that hits Mid, fast-medium speed, and is safe after her 4A :p

Only one I can think of, and it's in Gloomy Stance only. Will best later.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Natsu's A is 8 frames. She has a buff version of A:6 that is 8 frames with KND. But again it has to be done perfectly (both as a punish and as a just frame).

Noaloha

I think I read somewhere about one of the character's Critical Edges being 8 frames too. Alpha-Pat?

(Off-topic - I spent way too long mulling over the apostrophe in that sentence. EDIT: in fact, I'm changing it again. EDIT2: nope, nope, don't like it there. I'm putting it back before the s.)

Doomshine

I think I read somewhere about one of the character's Critical Edges being 8 frames too. Alpha-Pat?

(Off-topic: I spent way too long mulling over the apostrophe in that sentence.)

This is completely off the top of my head, but I think I remember Aris saying it was 13 frames on stream.

Skilletor

(Off-topic - I spent way too long mulling over the apostrophe in that sentence. EDIT: in fact, I'm changing it again. EDIT2: nope, nope, don't like it there. I'm putting it back before the s.)

The guide says aPat's CE is 8 frames with invincibility after the 4th frame.

The guide does have typos, though. It says that natsu is at disadvantage after her b,[K], when it's a break attack that nets her a free PO A:6 on block.

Natsu is sooooo good!

Noaloha

The guide does have typos, though. It says that natsu is at disadvantage after her b,[K], when it's a break attack that nets her a free PO A:6 on block.
Uuugh. Just when I think I've learnt all of this game's notation, something like that pops up. Is 'PO' a game-system term or an abbreviation of a Natsu special? And what's the colon-six refer to?

Skilletor

Uuugh. Just when I think I've learnt all of this game's notation, something like that pops up. Is 'PO' a game-system term or an abbreviation of a Natsu special? And what's the colon-six refer to?

PO is Natsu's stance, Possession. The colon means a just attack.

GrayFoxPL

rushed.

Can you play anyone in Story aside from the Pratrokoloses and Pyrras?

Zwei 2 times.

Just finished Story mode. I liked it. Better then anything in IV.

The Japanese voice actor for Patroklos is just fantastic! Who is it?

Tried En voice but it's drab and lifeless.

zlatko

Banned
So I was thinking of finding a different main other than Devil Jin. After messing around with the cast I really only dig at this point alpha Pat, although maybe a little more messing around with Cervantes or Natsu might make me want to pick one of them up instead.

Anyways, is it safe to assume that alpha Pat combos are hard as shit when compared to Devil Jin ones? I'd like to learn him, but he might be a bit above my execution level. :(

I'm trying to get the win 10 times with Ezio achievement, and man, he's pretty fun. I hope I don't forget what little I knew of Pat and Xiba after this XD

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
As a person who plays SC casually (though I am a big fan), fighting feels like a downgrade for me.

So the above is not necessarily true.
Seems to be true for the competitive core fighter people though.

Note: I am one of those freaks who really really enjoyed SC4 though.

Didn't you say before that you don't even care about multiplayer?

I just don't get only playing fighting games against the CPU.

FinKL

Natsu's A is i8, fastest attack confirmed?

Skilletor's right, although the guide is godly, there are a couple typos here and there. There should be an errata, make it feel like a real college text.

Does anyone else find some characters in this to be horribly unbalanced? Viola, e.g., does almost no damage and others seem overpowered, I'm talking mainly about Natsu and Algol, and to a certain extent Cervantes.
They are so fast that I all I can do is block and when I attack they teleport or throw unblockable moves at me, like that bomb from Natsu. Whenever I play against them online, I'm lucky to win one round and then I get annihilated. The Algol/Natsu players I faced also have ridiculous win/loss ratios like 90 wins/ 10 losses. But maybe I just suck too much (this is my first fighting game since SC2 & the first Tekken for PS2 lol).

Esura

Banned

I don't know about that poster but until online play became commonplace for fighters, I had no one else to play with but my two elder brothers and that was only once every blue moon.

CE aside (and that's burning allll of your meter), Algol doesn't really do more damage than anyone else in the cast. Certainly not as much as the big slow heavy hitters or Natsu. Maxi hits like a truck, too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't know about that poster but until online play became commonplace for fighters, I had no one else to play with but my two elder brothers and that was only once every blue moon.

That reply was directed to that poster. He specifically stated that he did not want to play against other people online.

As for your comment, that was then and this is now. Back before online was standard I didn't always have someone to play against, but I spent time in practice mode or playing the CPU as a way to practice for matches against human opponents when I got a chance to play with others on weekends.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
CE aside (and that's burning allll of your meter), Algol doesn't really do more damage than anyone else in the cast. Certainly not as much as the big slow heavy hitters or Natsu. Maxi hits like a truck, too.

Algol is fine, anyone complaining about his "raging demon", cause that's exactly what it is. Are just bad. Maxi hits hard but he sorta needs it. Natsu on the otherhand.... what the fuck? Doesn't piss me off as bad as devil jin who is lame as fuck, but still her damage on some of her stuff needs to be scaled down about 10%

As far as the single player discussion. I got good at GG buy playing survival.... and beating it..... every time I tried eventually. LOL there is a reason I play on reaction now and not based on set ups... YOU HAD TO ON THAT. Which is why any amount of online lag fucks me bad, Im bad at predicting but good at reacting. *which is why I'm honestly not that great at marvel*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm trying to get the win 10 times with Ezio achievement, and man, he's pretty fun. I hope I don't forget what little I knew of Pat and Xiba after this XD

He has some extremely fast moves. 3B(IIRC) was a godsend for me, it does more damage on counterhit as well.

Yeah, his speed makes up for his lack of range. Also, man, whenever I get ringouts with his low hitting crossbow (and they have been plenty) it just feels wrong and hilarious to me for some reason XD

frequency

I'm mainly in it for the single player.
I don't know if I would go as far as to say I don't care about multiplayer.

But like 95% of my playtime in past SC games have been single player. 5% would've been playing locally. I did like less than 10 matches online in 4.

I don't normally play fighting games because of the multiplayer focus. SC was different. SC had a robust single player experience. I could put in over a hundred hours easily just unlocking bios, art, music, costumes, etc. And then playing through the story with all the characters. Or the tower in the last one. There was a ton of content.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand there's more to SC than competitive play.

Top Bottom