• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Roto13

Ezio's one of the few characters with projectiles, which are handy since the range of a lot of his attacks are pretty short.

Ferrio

Banned
Algol is fine, anyone complaining about his "raging demon", cause that's exactly what it is. Are just bad. Maxi hits hard but he sorta needs it. Natsu on the otherhand.... what the fuck? Doesn't piss me off as bad as devil jin who is lame as fuck, but still her damage on some of her stuff needs to be scaled down about 10%

As far as the single player discussion. I got good at GG buy playing survival.... and beating it..... every time I tried eventually. LOL there is a reason I play on reaction now and not based on set ups... YOU HAD TO ON THAT. Which is why any amount of online lag fucks me bad, Im bad at predicting but good at reacting. *which is why I'm honestly not that great at marvel*

Got time to play tonight? Seems Global Colosseum has better lag for some reason. I was disconnecting with SleepyKyo a lot yesterday, we went into the Colosseum and had 0 issues.

Speaking of the Global Colosseum, that's one of the coolest things I've seen in an online fighter. It needs to be a mandatory thing in all fighting games.

njean777

Algol is fine, anyone complaining about his "raging demon", cause that's exactly what it is. Are just bad. Maxi hits hard but he sorta needs it. Natsu on the otherhand.... what the fuck? Doesn't piss me off as bad as devil jin who is lame as fuck, but still her damage on some of her stuff needs to be scaled down about 10%

As far as the single player discussion. I got good at GG buy playing survival.... and beating it..... every time I tried eventually. LOL there is a reason I play on reaction now and not based on set ups... YOU HAD TO ON THAT. Which is why any amount of online lag fucks me bad, Im bad at predicting but good at reacting. *which is why I'm honestly not that great at marvel*

That throw of her's where she grabs you in mid air is fucking ridiculous. That move alone does the same as my super as Raphael.

Esura

Banned
Got time to play tonight? Seems Global Colosseum has better lag for some reason. I was disconnecting with SleepyKyo a lot yesterday, we went into the Colosseum and had 0 issues.

Speaking of the Global Colosseum, that's one of the coolest things I've seen in an online fighter. It needs to be a mandatory thing in all fighting games.
I never tried this Global Colosseum thing before. When are you guys doing it? I don't mind tagging along.

kiryogi

Banned

Where have you been the last two nights?!

CPS2

The move set on my main character (Yoshi) seems almost identical to SC4. This is the main thing.
I mostly played Yoshi in SC4, and after seeing the changes but not having spent a lot of time with SC5, i much, much preferred the SC4 version. That's pretty much why i've gotta find a new character. I'll keep using Yoshi as well, but i kinda doubt he's moved upward tier-wise if i had to guess.

Welp, just got the Ezio achievement. Ringing out with the crossbow is still hilarious and sidestepping an attack and countering with a CE will never not make me feel badass XD

The online is really damn good. Even the one time the connection became 1 bar for some reason played pretty well.

Alx

Three times with the same move, it must be really annoying. :D
I like the Aeon character for all his different moves allowing for ring-outs, by thrusting a punch, headbutting, grabbing or launching the opponent over his shoulder... At the moment I mainly play the IA, but it is surprisingly good at ring-outs too.

Ferrio

Banned
Hrm you can upload to YT once you import to XMB right?

Import to XMB, then you have to grab the file off your PS3 and put it on your computer and upload it to youtube like normal. Least I believe that's the only way.

The file sizes for me were around 45MB for 5 rounds played.

Esura

Banned
This upload function is awesome. Its even better than 3rd Strike's upload feature.

Now I can finally use my four year old YT account for once. lol

Esura

Banned
Watched Patroklos fight. That was close and tough. You should try ranked, right now it's much easier.

I'll probably try it out before I go to work. I'm a huge punk though, was scared to try Ranked at first.

It sucks that the one win I had I couldn't upload in replay. Right now I only know maybe six or seven core moves for Pyrrha and P. Omega.

GrayFoxPL

I'll probably try it out before I go to work. I'm a huge punk though, was scared to try Ranked at first.

It sucks that the one win I had I couldn't upload in replay. Right now I only know maybe six or seven core moves for Pyrrha and P. Omega.

You'll find that half don't even block in ranked. You have a quick block reflex, so you should get few perfects.

Coliseum matches are way tougher for me now. Later it's likely that weaker players will leave and only strong will stay, but right now ranked is "feels good" city. :)

I'm no Pyrrha player but my only advice would be... Stab! Stab! Stab! Mercilessly.
That 236B and 2BB(I guess?) is so annoying and it gets in way more often then it should, especially 2BB. Move when she crouches hits with shield and suddenly gut stabs, might be in crouching state.

Roto13

Import to XMB, then you have to grab the file off your PS3 and put it on your computer and upload it to youtube like normal. Least I believe that's the only way.

The file sizes for me were around 45MB for 5 rounds played.

You can also use the PS3's built in video editor/uploader and just upload it to YouTube or Facebook directly from your PS3.

I haven't touched story mode or legendary souls and I have all characters unlocked. I am proud of myself, hehe.

Hope my normal play can get me to level 53 soonish.

Noaloha

Feeling bummed out by being UK right about now. I'm gravely in a mood wherein I want to watch some SCV streamed, with commentary. I assume there'll be SCV at 8 On The Break tonight but I'll be forced into a state of sleep by the time it gets going.

Does anyone know of any EU streams that run the game? I understand the French love themselves some Soulcalibur. Do they have any weekly tournie scenes or suchlike with an accompanying twitch channel?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Easy pickings online, until I ran into someone who was 337W and 17L. He did a 14 hit combo with Nightmare with a wall bounce. It was beastly.

Do not I repeat DO NOT let up on nightmare if he gets meter, if he gets distance on you YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT SAFE AS FUCK. He's not that bad, but he hits like a truck with meter. DAT OTG BE *why he has it I dont know lol* Oh and dont just spam attacks like a dumbass either lol get countered :p

Do not I repeat DO NOT let up on nightmare if he gets meter, if he gets distance on you YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT SAFE AS FUCK. He's not that bad, but he hits like a truck with meter. DAT OTG BE *why he has it I dont know lol* Oh and dont just spam attacks like a dumbass either lol get countered :p

Yeah. I think letting up in Soul Calibur is usually a pretty bad idea. As they say, "the best offense is a good defense." (Or did I get that backwards? =P)

Esura

Banned
You'll find that half don't even block in ranked. You have a quick block reflex, so you should get few perfects.

Coliseum matches are way tougher for me now. Later it's likely that weaker players will leave and only strong will stay, but right now ranked is "feels good" city. :)

I'm no Pyrrha player but my only advice would be... Stab! Stab! Stab! Mercilessly.
That 236B and 2BB(I guess?) is so annoying and it gets in way more often then it should, especially 2BB. Move when she crouches hits with shield and suddenly gut stabs, might be in crouching state.

Aside from a Hilde player who murdered me, its not too bad. I'm not steamrolling anyone but it feels like my kind of skill level though.

I'm pissed I lost to this Ezio player though. Although its my fault for losing because I got too cocky. He was doing the same moves over and over and his gameplan was predictable so I started getting overly offensive with Pyrrha. Then he did a Critical Edge I did not anticipate.

His whole plan was to try to knock me off the ring with Ezio's gun. It worked the first time but it wasn't happening again.

GrayFoxPL

Aside from a Hilde player who murdered me, its not too bad. I'm not steamrolling anyone but it feels like my kind of skill level though.

I'm pissed I lost to this Ezio player though. Although its my fault for losing because I got too cocky. He was doing the same moves over and over and his gameplan was predictable so I started getting overly offensive with Pyrrha. Then he did a Critical Edge I did not anticipate.

His whole plan was to try to knock me off the ring with Ezio's gun. It worked the first time but it wasn't happening again.

I think he was going for trophy with Ezio. Funny, before release I noticed Ezio crossbow seemed too good, but people were like "No, no it's easily avoidable! No problem!"
Damn me if that shit isn't fast.

sleepykyo

Does anyone else find some characters in this to be horribly unbalanced? Viola, e.g., does almost no damage and others seem overpowered, I'm talking mainly about Natsu and Algol, and to a certain extent Cervantes.
They are so fast that I all I can do is block and when I attack they teleport or throw unblockable moves at me, like that bomb from Natsu. Whenever I play against them online, I'm lucky to win one round and then I get annihilated. The Algol/Natsu players I faced also have ridiculous win/loss ratios like 90 wins/ 10 losses. But maybe I just suck too much (this is my first fighting game since SC2 & the first Tekken for PS2 lol).

Too early to call. Alpha Pat's damage is comparable to Natsu's (if you can hit those fastest 2143 moves). Algol and Natsu just have some great options against tech rolling and that'll catch a lot of players online.

Zwei and Viola's unconventional (by SC standards) style means their strengths aren't going to be uncovered in the first couple of weeks.

It would have been better if they just made it happen after losing the final round by a big hit.

Doesn't it still change damage though?

Esura

Banned
I think he was going for trophy with Ezio. Funny, before release I noticed Ezio crossbow seemed too good, but people were like "No, no it's easily avoidable! No problem!"

Too fast. Soon as I see him crouch its pretty much too late to block so I try to side step.

I think when I get off tonight I'll play some more ranked matches. I've been cheesily setting the search settings to rank similar to mines, which was the lowest rank in the game.

Skilletor

I stand by this assessment. If you're far away, he shouldn't be hitting you. It's a linear attack.

Do you guys think sometimes the bars are really truthful?

I swear to god, some of my 3-4 matches are worse than the 0-1-2 matches sometimes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I stand by this assessment. If you're far away, he shouldn't be hitting you. It's a linear attack.

Yeah, it's super obvious. A few good uses of it(low one on wakeup), and that one BE where he shoots it a few times can be good, but it's really easy to see. Didn't stop me from getting perfects with it online going for the 10 wins, though! Even landed the gunshot on people that don't seem to understand sidestepping.

Top Bottom