• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Skilletor

It's kinda hard to win a match by standing far away.

It's kind of hard to hit somebody with a linear, slowish low attack. I mean, it has its uses...but, it's hardly a problem. I don't consider that move a threat. I'd be more worried about Ezio's 11_77k. Or the simple 1k.

GrayFoxPL

It's kind of hard to hit somebody with a linear, slowish low attack. I mean, it has its uses...but, it's hardly a problem. I don't consider that move a threat. I'd be more worried about Ezio's 11_77k. Or the simple 1k.

Yeah, it's super obvious. A few good uses of it(low one on wakeup), and that one BE where he shoots it a few times can be good, but it's really easy to see. Didn't stop me from getting perfects with it online going for the 10 wins, though! Even landed the gunshot on people that don't seem to understand sidestepping.

Not hard enough it seems.

lol, yeah, this is true. As good as online might be, I don't judge how good a move is from online matches.

And I was talking about online.

Does anyone on XBL want to play for a while? I still don't really know how to use my characters. I won't be mashing, but that doesn't mean I'll have any idea of what I will be doing XD

GrayFoxPL

/shrug. I can win online matches just doing BB, AA. That doesn't mean much.

Not to you maybe. But if my gameplay environment is online, because there's not other choice, then it means much. Don't exaggerate, online isn't laggy enough to win with just AA unless someone on the other side is snoozing or playing fg for the first time.

CSX

Too fast. Soon as I see him crouch its pretty much too late to block so I try to side step.

I think when I get off tonight I'll play some more ranked matches. I've been cheesily setting the search settings to rank similar to mines, which was the lowest rank in the game.

Cant some characters punish on block? Ezio has to go with the animation of returning it back to his inventory and CPU has hit me back when i thought i guarded immediately.

Then again, i suck ass at this game so I can just be doing it wrong

Skilletor

Not to you maybe. But if my gameplay environment is online, because there's not other choice, then it means much. Don't exaggerate, online isn't laggy enough to win with just AA unless someone on the other side is snoozing or playing fg for the first time.

Which is exactly why it's easy to land horrible moves. The skill level isn't very high.

Edit: Low crossbow is i30 and -30 on block.

lol, yeah. Horrible move.

Noaloha

Is the frame data on a guard crush known yet? I'm interested in the size of the window you have to punish. How many frames is it between the attacking player being able to input a command and the victim being able to input a command? And, for the attacker, does the usual 20 frame buffer window apply to that weird slow-down when crush occurs? I've pressed buttons during the slow-down bit and nothing came out.

Someone on a stream at some point recently said you have a full second to do what you want, but it doesn't feel like 60 frames.

CAS question, do you unlock more chinese symbols later? I can't find the one I need for my Xiba dressed as Goku :(

Speaking of those, is there a translation of those things? I could identify a few of them if they weren't so hard to read at times x__x

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
They don't let you change a lot of things with present characters. Astaroth skin color, Yoshi's mask, etc.

I agree it is all beyond lame.

Whaaat? I thought that maybe it was just Ezio since he's a guest character and what not, had no idea they limited other characters edits as well. Wow.

Bladenic

Alright, so I have a few questions.

1) For those whom identify SC 2 as their favorite like me, how does this game stack up? I didn't much care for 3 and 4 was better but no 2 in my eyes.
2) Is single player content expansive? Best part about 2 in my opinion, and the series overall.

Thanks!

How are you liking Mitsu?

We need to play some games soon. I'm stuck doing homework this week, but I want to fight a good Mitsu. He's always given me issues.
I think he's okay. I was upset at the loss of Relic, but Mist has been improved and his non-stance game is better overall (33B,B and the 6B series in particular). The loss of easy-mode 2KB made a lot of people angry, but with meter it's more beastly than ever. I've come to accept that I won't get to use the pretty Critical Edges like most characters all that frequently since Mitsu's is barely better than using 66A+B. I mostly stick to Brave Edges and need to start trying to use GI's since I often have meter laying around.

I've been trying to practice up against Natsu since she certainly does seem S tier so I'd like to get some matches in with you as soon as possible as well.

I also need to pick up a second character, but Raph seems so bad and I don't have the best execution in the world (because I'd love to pick up Patsuka). :-(

maomaoIYP

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I quite liked past entries single player so it's disappointing to hear how bad it is. It's what I used to play hours on end in SC2 and 3.

I like to dabble in the online in fighting games but often get frustrated by lag or other issues, and I've never played a Soul game very competitively before. Also I'm in Australia so I don't really know how many local, non that serious, players there are. Unless I can somehow vs overseas players online with no lag I don't think I'll play a lot of it.

Anyways, I'm still considering it because my local GAME has a trade in deal where you can trade in a PS3 version of Skyrim and get this game for $28. Seems like a good deal even with all the issues in the game?

You're from Australia? Good luck finding ANYONE online to play with. I'm in asia, and the lobbies for Australia are forever empty, so are the ones in Asia, with the exception of Tokyo and Osaka.

DR2K

Banned
Viola is so fun to play as. Not as difficult as I thought she would be. SCV has really cut down on the overly hard to execute for no reason moves.

Skilletor

I think he's okay. I was upset at the loss of Relic, but Mist has been improved and his non-stance game is better overall (33B,B and the 6B series in particular). The loss of easy-mode 2KB made a lot of people angry, but with meter it's more beastly than ever. I've come to accept that I won't get to use the pretty Critical Edges like most characters all that frequently since Mitsu's is barely better than using 66A+B. I mostly stick to Brave Edges and need to start trying to use GI's since I often have meter laying around.

I've been trying to practice up against Natsu since she certainly does seem S tier so I'd like to get some matches in with you as soon as possible as well.

I also need to pick up a second character, but Raph seems so bad and I don't have the best execution in the world (because I'd love to pick up Patsuka). :-(

I'm messing around with Hilde, but she seems really limited. Her super is really good, but her BE options seem...not there I guess her grab is good, but for the meter, I'd probably just use it for GIs. I want a ranged character, but the only people with range I really like are Sieg and Hilde.

ZWEI seems like he'll be really fun. The JJBA in me calls to him. Patsuka is also an option, since I've used Setsuka since 3. I wish they had a kimono in the game. I'd make her character...:/ lol

As it should be. Hail!

YUP! My goal is EVO! At least...making it out of pools at EVO anyway. :p

Ferrio

Banned
ZWEI seems like he'll be really fun. The JJBA in me calls to him. Patsuka is also an option, since I've used Setsuka since 3. I wish they had a kimono in the game. I'd make her character...:/ lol

Paid DLC for kimono is coming out on Valentines day.

I'm messing around with Hilde, but she seems really limited. Her super is really good, but her BE options seem...not there I guess her grab is good, but for the meter, I'd probably just use it for GIs. I want a ranged character, but the only people with range I really like are Sieg and Hilde.

Yeah, it does seem like characters in many cases are slanted towards having either good BEs or good CEs. I'm also interested in ZWEI, but I'll let better fighting game minds than mine figure him out first.

The kimono is in DLC pack #2, so maybe I'll *attempt* to train up the Patsuka moveset before it comes out.

EDIT: Mist will probably suck as soon as people figure out the mids are slow as hell, lol. I should have said "I use it more".

FinKL

Trying to win 10 on Ranked with Ezio then would like to play with others. What happened to the Global Collosso idea of picking an empty room for us?

"Trying to win 10 on Ranked with Ezio then would like to play with others. What happened to the Global Collosso idea of picking an empty room for us?

Someone just mentioned Jacksonville as being the room.

remz

You're from Australia? Good luck finding ANYONE online to play with. I'm in asia, and the lobbies for Australia are forever empty, so are the ones in Asia, with the exception of Tokyo and Osaka.

You guys can play with me! I'm in Australia on xbox, Ninjasandwhich is my GT.

You're right in that the lobbies are dead in australia/asia though. It's terrible.

Ties

Banned
I'm having a lot of trouble punishing whiffs with Viola.

With or without the orb, it seems like her range is extremely limited. I usually use 5AA for up close, but what move can I use to punish long ranged whiffs?

Ties

Banned
Just bought the CE and im impressed real fancy shit. Is it tue that the netcode is really good?
There are some random disconnects and communication issues; but other than that, every match I've played so far has been pretty fluid.

So after raging with Ivy for 12-13 hours in Online, I finally can say I'm starting to get the hang of her. If I get knocked down, it's basically game over for me because the only people who can knock me down and punish badly are Nightmare, Siegfried, Natsu, Leixia, Patsukas, and Pyrrhas. Everyone else is free win in this game to Ivy. Just you wait! I'm taking Ivy to the top! :D

Ferrio

Banned
I'll be on PSN later tonight, currently drinking at a bar. Guess I'll have to see how well a drunken Ties works. So are the Jacksonville people on xbox or psn?

Roto13

Yeah, alright, for a little while. I want to get this stupid room going. :p

I don't have a keyboard or anything so, I won't be very chatty. :p

Roto13

I'm fighting someone and have no idea if it's you. :p

EDIT: I'm guessing not because I assume you know about the block button.

Top Bottom