• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound problem...HT subwoofer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCX

DCX
Klee... anyone elseneed some help with my surround soun system. I have a JBL speaker package and a Sony STR-DE 595 reciever. The problem is my subwoofer cuts in and out...i noticed this alot when playing music on my DVD player (mp3) but now it does it on DVD movies and game systems, all of them :( I wonder what i'm doing wrong or is something messed up.

DCX

Shompola

Banned
sounds like its on auto sense(.e. it powers on when there is a signal in and otherwise powers off). Leave it on ON and see what happens.

DCX

DCX
Leave what on? The subwoofer is always on...i thought it was a subwoofer cable problem but i just bought a new one.

DCX

Shompola

Banned
Ok most subwoofers I know have something like OFF-Auto Sense-ON. I thought you possibly had your subwoofer on Auto Sense.

Vlad

I assume you've tried wiggling the wire? After we had our receiver for a while, the subwoofer would do the exact same thing that yours did. For some reason the connection keeps coming loose, even though both ends of the cable are in as snug as they can be. Jiggling it makes everything work just fine and dandy for about another week, though.

DCX

DCX
Yeah i tried wiggling it...i'll have to check my reciever to see if everything is kosher with settings and stuff, then i'll check my connections and then the subwoofer. Everything is fairly new so i would hate the problem be something faulty. I'm sure it's something small i'm overlooking.

DCX

DCX

DCX
Still no luck...I want to fix this because it's sooooo annoying to have the sub cut out especially during an impact scene in a movie or even tackles in ESPN :(

DCX

DCX

DCX
Could it be that i have the sub level set to high? I have the sub levels on my reciever maxed, and have my levels on my sub just about maxed...

DCX

Shompola

Banned
you mean the cut off frequency is set to max on both? Easiest is to set the subwoofer on max, and then let the receiver cut the signal 80hz or whatever you itend to cut it.

DCX

DCX
Yeah..i read it was better to max it on the receiver to give a strong signal into the sub and just adjust the sub...i don't know, sound is so subjective lol i just want the thing to work properly :)

DCX

Shompola said:
Ok most subwoofers I know have something like OFF-Auto Sense-ON. I thought you possibly had your subwoofer on Auto Sense.

have you tried this yet? The sub I just got had this same problem but I opened it up and changed the jumper settings so it's always on now.

Shompola

Banned
DCX said:
Yeah..i read it was better to max it on the receiver to give a strong signal into the sub and just adjust the sub...i don't know, sound is so subjective lol i just want the thing to work properly :)

DCX

But I was talking about the cut off frequency and not the adjustement of how strong it is.

DCX

DCX
Well i did everything you guys said except opening it up and don't ask me what one thing did it but it's working now :p Ah...the symphony that is 5.1 surround sound :) Thanks for the help guys.

DCX

DCX

DCX
There is switch in the back that is label on-auto i have it set to on. I just bought this subwoofer cable a few weeks ago. It was working non-stop for about 2-3 hours i was listening to an mp3 disc i made...then it started the phase in and out thing. I played a game of ESPN and it sounded OK...almost like it was working but i could tell it wasn't on all the time...it's hard to explain. Well i'm just going to live with it for now...i can't find the manual.

DCX

DCX

DCX
If i had any of the speakers connected to the reciever mixed match (negative in positive vice versa) would that effect the signal to the sub? I have black speaker wire with a grey line on one of the wire i'm assuming the grey line would represent the red, which would be positive correct?

DCX

DCX

DCX
guess not...argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got one more question... "Position arrows on directional path so that the signal path points toward input.." Input being which the Reciever or the sub? Meaning which way is the arrow supposed to be pointing to?

DCX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom