• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korean Paper Reports China Has Deployed 150,000 Troops To North Korea Border

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

China's only real interest here is probably just detaining or murdering any North Koreans who fled their way after a US strike.

The main reason China props up the regime is because they don't want the refugees and as long as they keep getting the minerals they don't really give a shit who's in charge

Well they also don't want S. Korea (or any Nato ally) at their border.

telasoman

I have wonderful timing.

I'm flying out to SK tomorrow to visit a friend, and the first thing hes having us do is visit the DMZ in case they close it down in the next week.

This should be kind of intense.

Ac30

A complete surprise carpet bombing of their artillery line pointed at Seoul might work, but you better be damn sure to take out all their nuke sites as well.

Let's hope they do because it'll be the Somme 2017 if they don't. NK will have no qualms about using nukes.

blackflag

Trump's not going to attack NK because of Seoul, Taiwan and Japan. Particularly Seoul, since it's right on the border. If I had to wager, this is going to be on China taking him out.

I agree. Having been stationed there for awhile and at the DMZ. It is super touchy situation. If we attack N. Korea Seoul will get turned into rubble.

Mark L

To be fair China only intervened when UN forces actually (stupidly) crossed the Yalu.

EDIT: This is incorrect.

Kinyou

How long would that shelling continue if US Airforce operated with complete blessing of China in the region ?
I'm not sure how fast the US could take them out. NK has supposedly 13.000 artillery pieces positioned within range. Probably wouldn't take long for them to cause significant damage.

slit

I wouldn't be surprised if this was more about China fed up with NK more than anything concerning the U.S. I think China's patience with North Korea has just about run out.

Kinyou

The implication here being that Trump actually gives a shit what happens to Seoul?

I'll be heartbroken if/when this happens, because Seoul is my second favorite city on the planet (behind NYC). But I fully expect Trump to say "fuck Seoul."
Trump is nuts, but that's something I think even he wouldn't do.

The only reason Americans care about NK in the first place is because SK and Japan are so significant.

I didn't say Americans. I said Trump.

Trump wants any excuse possible to level NK and prove that he's a tough guy who took out a crazy dictator. I really don't think he gives one iota of a shit about SK, and he might only marginally care about JP on the periphery because Abe was so nice to him.

China is showing Kim that he has no more allies in this World.

I'm not sure how fast the US could take them out. NK has supposedly 13.000 artillery pieces positioned within range. Probably wouldn't take long for them to cause significant damage.

That's assuming they are in working condition and are allowed to fire non-stop for days on end.

slit

I didn't say Americans. I said Trump.

Trump wants any excuse possible to level NK and prove that he's a tough guy who took out a crazy dictator. I really don't think he gives one iota of a shit about SK, and he might only marginally care about JP on the periphery because Abe was so nice to him.

Trump does care about money though. Seoul being burned to the ground would cause Asian markets to sink which in turn effects the whole world.

If North Korea does fall to the US and SK, China would likely want a buffer zone. I see those troops serving two purposes. One, to keep North Koreans out of China and to move forward to secure a buffer zone.

I have wonderful timing.

I'm flying out to SK tomorrow to visit a friend, and the first thing hes having us do is visit the DMZ in case they close it down in the next week.

This should be kind of intense.

I really want to go out there before something maybe happens, just to visit those places as they are now.

Trump does care about money though. Seoul being burned to the ground would cause Asian markets to sink which in turn effects the whole world.

I still don't think that Trump cares about the whole world. If he can't draw a direct line between himself and the money coming from a place, I really don't think he's interested. The only real hope we have is that Kushner has the good sense to explain to his syphilitic father-in-law that SK's economy tanking will also tank China's economy which will hurt the fuck out of Trump brands (specifically Ivanka's).

Thank god we elected the fucking guy from the Apprentice to deal with these extremely sensitive and delicate situations.

I'm still not convinced I'm not living in an episode of Black Mirror.

He already has nukes that can reach the big cities on the chinese east coast.

If that's true, why bother using artillery on Seoul when he could just nuke it? I know they have done some nuclear testing, but they still don't have them equipped on missiles last I hear. The whole point is to stop them from equipping them to begin with.

Xando

A complete surprise carpet bombing of their artillery line pointed at Seoul might work, but you better be damn sure to take out all their nuke sites as well.
Considering they have mobile nuclear launch sites and their new SLBM should be operational by now i doubt that's a good idea unless you're willing to sacrifice Japan and SK.
If that's true, why bother using artillery on Seoul when he could just nuke it? I know they have done some nuclear testing, but they still don't have them equipped on missiles last I hear. The whole point is to stop them from equipping them to begin with.
You mistake the different type of missiles.
They already have short to mid range missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads. The reason the US is nervous is because they are fairly far into development of ICBM(inter continental ballistic missiles) capable of reaching the west coast of the US

Because the artillery is ready to be fired at literally a second's notice. It takes longer than that to prepare and launch a nuke.

slit

I still don't think that Trump cares about the whole world. If he can't draw a direct line between himself and the money coming from a place, I really don't think he's interested. The only real hope we have is that Kushner has the good sense to explain to his syphilitic father-in-law that SK's economy tanking will also tank China's economy which will hurt the fuck out of Trump brands (specifically Ivanka's).

He's interested. He has mucho money invested in Asia. Say what you want about Trump but he knows how business works.

Actually it does, he bankrupted them because it made more financial sense to do so. It was slimy move but it got him where he wanted to be.

I have no idea how that means he's good at business. All that means is that he knows how to pocket the most money for himself, which is an idea completely divorced from being good at running a business or knowing how the intricacies of a global economy work.

ZOONAMI

Considering they have mobile nuclear launch sites and their new SLBM should be operational by now i doubt that's a good idea unless you're willing to sacrifice Japan and SK.

You mistake the different type of missiles.
They already have short to mid range missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads. The reason the US is nervous is because they are fairly far into development of ICBM(inter continental ballistic missiles) capable of reaching the west coast of the US

Right, but as crazy as Kim is you still have to think he doesn't want his entire country glassed.

Even talking about this as a practical reality is depressing.

slit

I have no idea how that means he's good at business. All that means is that he knows how to pocket the most money for himself, which is an idea completely divorced from being good at running a business or knowing how the intricacies of a global economy work.

Him being good at running a business isn't what I'm talking about. He knows how the stock market works. He may be a dolt at everything else but he knows how to make money hence he knows what world markets crashing would mean.

Artillery is easily hidden, cheap, fast and has been along the boarder since the Korean War.
Artillery is relatively far more challenging to shoot down.

ZOONAMI

Maybe we could weaponize Dennis Rodman and remove Kim that way?

The best practical option by far is an NK military coup/assassination jointly backed by China and the US. Allows the appearance of maintained status quo sort of, then slowly have the military in NK dismantle the nuke program, and maybe even modernize economy with SK help, and bring down the DMZ.

If trump wants an unprecedented IR win that's how you would do it, although China could do all of this on their own and take all the credit.

Him being good at running a business isn't what I'm talking about. He knows how the stock market works. He may be a dolt at everything else but he knows how to make money hence he knows what world markets crashing would mean.

Bankrupting his own companies has nothing to do with knowing how the stock market works. Trump didn't get rich via stocks. He's a real estate scammer and a marketing guy who's good at pushing a brand. As an actual company owner trying to navigate the economic landscape, though, he's totally clueless.

Trump doesn't think he exists in the global economy; it's why he's such an isolationist in the first place. Will the factories in China remain open for Ivanka's clothing to be made? Will the Russian steel mills remain open for the building of hotels? That's what he's worried about, and that's why I said that he needs someone like Kushner to explain to him how the ripple effect works in the global economy.

KingBroly

Banned
The best practical option by far is an NK military coup/assassination jointly backed by China and the US. Allows the appearance of maintained status quo sort of, then slowly have the military in NK dismantle the nuke program, and maybe even modernize economy with SK help, and bring down the DMZ.

If trump wants an unprecedented IR win that's how you would do it.

Now would be a perfect time for that. Bring in China on one side, the US on another, sneakily send in a covert ops team and overthrow the damn thing. But you'd probably have to keep things quiet for a few years.

Artillery is easily hidden, cheap, fast and has been along the boarder since the Korean War.
Artillery is relatively far more challenging to shoot down.

Well, either way I'd take my chances with artillery shells raining down than a nuclear missile. At least a city can come back in a relatively short time from a conventional attack. A nuclear strike makes it uninhabitable for decades. So if shit goes down,they better evacuate not just the city, but a large area around it.

ZOONAMI

Now would be a perfect time for that. Bring in China on one side, the US on another, sneakily send in a covert ops team and overthrow the damn thing. But you'd probably have to keep things quiet for a few years.

Yep, if they could release the details on said plan by 2020 he'd probably easily win reelection, if he even wants it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would the rest of the world be fine with a China-controlled NK if it meant they weren't threatening nuclear war every other week?

Hmmm.. how about the fact that any territory China has ever historically held, they tend to consider it a part of China now and forever even if it falls under others' control?

Tibet and Manchuria used to be their own countries... but once they became a part of China they were never thought of as anything but by the Chinese. Might be a dynastic trait not applicable to modern times but still.... imagine China never letting Korean territory go, ever.

Well, either way I'd take my chances with artillery shells raining down than a nuclear missile. At least a city can come back in a relatively short time from a conventional attack. A nuclear strike makes it uninhabitable for decades. So if shit goes down,they better evacuate not just the city, but a large area around it.

The thing that really still makes it more of a challenge is that artillery can have chemical weapons in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom