• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Looking forward to your review too man! Really enjoyed your dragons crown review and was one of the tipping points leading me to picking it up in this recent sale. Loving it!

Ahhhh I loved that one with the paper figures. Had a blast. Wish I had more time to do videos of that nature but with baby almost here. Had to revert to a more simplier style. Regardless thanks and hope you enjoy it when I upload it. :D

Finalow

I've finished the game and am reviewing it for IGN. I don't want to anger the review embargo gods, so all I'll say is that I just don't want to see people in here disappointed if they're expecting a 30-hour game.
I'm sure that people didn't expect it to be that long, especially since that's just your first (and probably rushed) run.
but yeah, I expect it to have a lot of contents.

RPGCrazied

20 hours is the sweet spot for for RPG's. Not to long, and not to short. Hopefully the game has lots of side quests to do though.

Is Imaginationland in the game? Those are my favorite episodes of South Park.

Ryan_IGN

I'm sure that people didn't expect it to be that long, especially since that's just your first (and probably rushed) run.
but yeah, I expect it to have a lot of contents.

FWIW I definitely wasn't rushed, and I am a South Park superfan so I made sure to do EVERYTHING I could in the game.

FWIW I definitely wasn't rushed, and I am a South Park superfan so I made sure to do EVERYTHING I could in the game.

Interesting. Any chance you can answer this question:

Would you have warned us not to set ourselves up for disappointment if the expectation for finishing everything (main quest, side quests, collectables, etc.) had been rumored at 20 hours?

adj_noun

There's a launch trailer ad on the 360 dashboard I haven't seen anywhere else. It has stuff I hadn't seen before, so I suppose it may be spoilery.

edit: it was a random ad I haven't been able to get to pop back up. I swear it was there, though!

abundant

According to a few from Gamefaqs (I know, not really reliable), the average play time for most will be between 12 and 16 hours.

According to a few from Gamefaqs (I know, not really reliable), the average play time for most will be between 12 and 16 hours.

And it sounds like some people there are saying well under 20 hours, even including the side quests. I'm still extremely excited and I'm sure what's there will be great, but that would be a bit disappointing. What ever happened to the guy on here who estimated 16-18 hours for the main quest + only 3 of the side quests? Maybe there aren't too many side quests and they're fairly short.

ZoddGutts

For anyone who played the game, how does the battle system compare to the Paper Mario games? Did they add any additions features to the battle system compare to those games?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
After placing a pre-order for the game on Amazon almost a year ago, I finally got a confirmation email from them an hour ago, lol.

Hopefully they'll give out Steam codes once we can pre-load.

10-15 hours would be fine, especially considering how much detail and fan service seems to have gone into all the writing. It'd be hard to expect more

ieatzombies

I'm really interested in how the classes differ enough for playthroughs. How they(if at all) matter to gameplay and story.
To me that means more than a 20 or 30 hour run. Hell, even if one playthrough is quality enough, that would be gold. Have dragons crown, dark souls 2, strider and infamous on top of this so not really concerned with too lengthy of an rpg.

10-15 hours would be fine, especially considering how much detail and fan service seems to have gone into all the writing. It'd be hard to expect more

Uhu, I would be satisfied with that. Got so many RPG's currently that I would probably prefer that and not any grinding or recycled quests.

Milennia

I have titanfall in a week and infamous 2 weeks after that.. Don't have time for a massive Rpg.
The original 16-18 is what I'm hoping for with optional side quests as extra content.

As a married and fully employed 37 year old, I play games in my scant free time. 12 to 20 hours is perfectly acceptable for a game like this, especially if it features the voices and humor of Trey and Matt.

Aporia88

Neo Member
Some people were actually expecting a 30 hour game? Anything around 8 hours would be golden for me.

I certainly wasn't expecting a 30 hour adventure, but come now an 8 hour turnbased-style RPG would literally have like an hour of actual story. I hope it is at least a bit longer than that.

LAM09

Not sure what the scale is on how long the game actually lasts, but games don't normally take that long to complete nowadays.

I certainly wasn't expecting a 30 hour adventure, but come now an 8 hour turnbased-style RPG would literally have like an hour of actual story. I hope it is at least a bit longer than that.

Ok then add or remove some buffer time for the combat.

I'm still not expecting that much in terms of length. The mechanics and the world exploration from videos seems very limited, can't see how you'd extend it out much longer without it feeling padded.

I'll be happy with a concise and focused adventure

Would anyone want this game to be 30 hours?

Never expected 30 hours, but damn straight I'd take it. I'd happily take 50 hours. The issue would be to maintain the humor for that long. But I'll take whatever I can get. Under 15 hours would be a pretty big disappointment for me though (including all side content).

I've finished the game and am reviewing it for IGN. I don't want to anger the review embargo gods, so all I'll say is that I just don't want to see people in here disappointed if they're expecting a 30-hour game.

Well, the last couple games I was told were shorter than people hoped (although you aren't exactly giving us a number here, and I personally consider anything in the 18-20 hour range to be perfect), I was able to play and enjoy for much longer than reviews suggested was possible. One such example was Mass Effect 2, a game I was told was quite short.

Never expected 30 hours, but damn straight I'd take it. I'd happily take 50 hours. The issue would be to maintain the humor for that long. But I'll take whatever I can get. Under 15 hours would be a pretty big disappointment for me though (including all side content).

Amen, plus I always take quite a bit longer to complete games than people say I should anyway, maybe because I stop to take in and appreciate the experience of them a lot more. I'll just have moments where I'm just stopping to appreciate a particular scene or location, checking every possible area, interacting with as many characters as possible and really trying to get the most out of the in-game customization options, that kinda thing.

People expecting crazy long lengths need to realize it is a South Park game first and an Obsidian rpg second. A more focused adventure which remains varied and comedic through out at <20 hours would be fantastic. You can't get much longer than that without the pacing taking a hit or fatigue of the seemingly simple combat starting to set it.

Almighty

20 to 30 is what I consider a minimum length for RPGs. That number includes all side quests and exploration. If I can do everything in less then 20 hours I am not happy and if I paid 60 bucks for the game I am even less happy. Lucky for this game I got it for $22 so I am more lenient.

Rich!

Can't wait for this - played through Paper Mario 2 in anticipation.

It'll ease the pain of getting Dark Souls 2 late, whenever Bamco finally release the sodding thing.

Salsa

you guys are weird

the game is probably as long as it needs to be. I dont see the problem as long as it feels fullfiling, wich im sure it will.

Lunzio

12 to 20 is perfect for a me. If it's as packed to the brim with South Park lore as it seems, then it's more than enough.

Salsa

It's a south park game sure, but it's also a RPG made by obsidian, 20-30 hours isn't a crazy expectation.

I guess. I just feel like others here have said ; South Park game first, Obsidian RPG second. I mean is anyone really expecting crazy depth or character development/party building? It's probably along the lines of Paper Mario with some more customization..

Paper Mario is what? a 25 hour game or so for most. I think 12-20 seems about right.

Vamphuntr

Seems like the rumored 15 hours completion time might be spot on. That would be disappointing to me as a big RPG player but I'm still a huge South Park fan so I'll enjoy what is there to enjoy anyway.

EDIT : The expectation tempering is fairly funny to read in this thread though. Seems like any RPG that lasts more than 20 hours is filled with MMO style fetch quests or terrible filler and that there is so much games to play in March that it's actually good the game is short.

Almighty

I guess. I just feel like others here have said ; South Park game first, Obsidian RPG second. I mean is anyone really expecting crazy depth or character development/party building? It's probably along the lines of Paper Mario with some more customization..

Paper Mario is what? a 25 hour game or so for most. I think 12-20 seems about right.

Sure which is why I didn't expect it to be a 30 to 40+ hour game with branching paths and plenty of choices and consequences. i just don't think expecting 20 to 30 hours for a 60 dollar RPG is asking too much. South Park or not.

Edit: All I am saying is if i can do all the side quests, explore, and goof around a bt in less then 20 hours I will be slightly disappointed. If I can do all that in less then 15 I will be very unhappy that they had the balls to charge 60 bucks for it.

Milennia

Next time they need to have 10hrs of fetch quest MMO style just to stretch it out

I'm not for long RPGs but I just finished xilia at 100 hours for the platinum and enjoyed all of it.
It's normally 32 hours for a playthrough.

Also, why are people talking this way? There's only been like 2 people who said they prefer it be a longer game.. Doesn't warrant responses like this.

Top Bottom