• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any info on what kind of specs a computer will need in order to play this decently?

I don't play many games, but this is one I want to and I just bought a retina mbp (13 inch i5 with intel iris).

I know it's still an integrate gpu, but I doubt that this game would require much. I still have time to exchange it for the 15 inch, but I prefer the portability of the 13 inch.

There are system specs on the game's Steam page:

Minimum:
OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2 GB GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD2600XT (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers

Recommended:
OS: WindowsXP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E4400 @ 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800GT or AMD Radeon HD4870 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0) or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers
Anything built within the last 7 years will be able to run it just fine.

Mononoke

Banned
Writing off games based on outside perception of length is so 90s. If you want a 40 hour game with 20 hours of tutorials go play Final Fantasy. Or, maybe wait and see what the overall quality of a game is before pre-judging it based on such a vague metric of quality. Games can be too long, too short, or just right and you can never know which it is until you've played it.

The Godfather and Lord of the Rings are great, long movies. Does that mean you shunned The South Park movie or Team America because it didn't last 3 hours? No. Because that would have been ridiculously stupid.

Eh not everyone thinks a short game is worth $60. You don't have to write off the game just because you are let down by length. It doesn't mean you are assuming its a bad game. Some will just wait till the price drops to match what they think the game is worth to them.

Writing off games based on outside perception of length is so 90s. If you want a 40 hour game with 20 hours of tutorials go play Final Fantasy. Or, maybe wait and see what the overall quality of a game is before pre-judging it based on such a vague metric of quality. Games can be too long, too short, or just right and you can never know which it is until you've played it.

The Godfather and Lord of the Rings are great, long movies. Does that mean you shunned The South Park movie or Team America because it didn't last 3 hours? No. Because that would have been ridiculously stupid.

The South Park and Team America movies have concepts that would get old if they lasted longer.

South Park RPG is a big concept filled with all sorts of possibilities. If the game is short it risks ending before those possibilities are given a chance to be fully fleshed out.

Mondy

Banned
I really don't mind if the game is 15 hours so long as I am thoroughly enjoying myself for the whole 15 hours. Also, reviewers, PLEASE don't tear the game a new one for some sort of mainstream perception of being too short for the price tag. We need this to review fairly well so we can have more South Park games in the future.

Trey and Matt have been fucked around by our industry for far too long. They can be the spearhead that drives the second coming of comedy games and encourages more like it from different sources. BRING BACK FUNNY GAMES.

asdad123

Great, thanks!

The portability (plus the price lol) caused me to pick the 13 inch over the 15 since I don't really need the extra power and this is probably the only game I'll ever play on it haha.

The fact that there isn't an exclusive review that releases a week early is what worries me. Generally, ign or similar website will try to make a deal with the dev/ publisher for an exclusive early review if the review by showing a good review. If they can't produce a good review for the game, they can't get an exclusive early review.

The game is awesome, but this game is all about going in fresh. I'm sure they didn't want spoilers to get out from early reviews. The PS3 has some stuttering issues in the city when you enter a new section sometimes that lasts for maybe a second or two(will probably be fixed in an upcoming patch), but other than that the game is everything you could want as a Southpark fan. I haven't beat the game yet, but as of now I'd rank it a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. With the heart they put into this game, it really does deserve everyone's support who's interested in it at all. There have already been so many great moments that you will want to experience and I'm not finished yet.

I think the people thinking this was a downloadable game when it was originally announced are remembering Tenorman's Revenge. An Awful game that i played for the first two levels.

Also, since this is a spin off of the larping episodes, i think it would be cool if they were to do a sequel based off the Coon & Friends series.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I really don't mind if the game is 15 hours so long as I am thoroughly enjoying myself for the whole 15 hours. Also, reviewers, PLEASE don't tear the game a new one for some sort of mainstream perception of being too short for the price tag. We need this to review fairly well so we can have more South Park games in the future.

Trey and Matt have been fucked around by our industry for far too long. They can be the spearhead that drives the second coming of comedy games and encourages more like it from different sources. BRING BACK FUNNY GAMES.

MGR:R got good reviews and it was 4 hours long. 15 hours is very long for a story driven game, especially if there is limited filler and no grinding. Not every game can be Skyrim, nor should it be.

that's not what those specs say
a hd4870 as recommended is several times more powerful than the integrated intel gpu of the guy who asked (almost equivalent to a hd7750), even a gt8800 as minimum spec is much more powerful as well
the cpu requirements are really low though

adj_noun

WEEEEEELLLLLLLL
Embargo is a bitch
'Cause you don't know which
System that won't glitch this South Park game
I don't have the strength
To discuss potential length
So let's explain March 4 some more

On Monday it's the same
On Tuesday it's the same
On Wednesday and Saturday still the same
On Sunday still the answer hasn't changed
Embargo's door drops on March 4

Come on! You all know the words!

Have you ever seen a game delayed
It makes the fanbase quite dismayed
Embargo's a bitch
Systems that won't glitch this South Park game
Glitch, glitch, glitch, glitch, glitch, glitch, glitch, glitch
I don't want no glitch!
Please Obsidian
Just don't drive into a ditch

Talk to gamers round the world and it might sound a little bit something like this!

[Censorship discussion sung in 4 different languages by other gamers]

It starts a stormy shit parade
A ripped hole which
You cannot stitch
Until the goddamn game is made
Made made made made made made made made
Now the game is made!
This song was only made
'Cause my sanity's been frayed

I really mean it,
This waaaaaait
Been a big long-ass endless waaaaaait
Long-ass endless wait for
South Paaaaaaaark

Yeeeeah. Chaaaaa!

MGR:R got good reviews and it was 4 hours long. 15 hours is very long for a story driven game, especially if there is limited filler and no grinding. Not every game can be Skyrim, nor should it be.

MGR:R is endlessly replayable and the encounters and how you approach them differ greatly depending on your difficulty.

South Park's combat system from what we've seen is not nearly as complex.

Milennia

WEEEEEELLLLLLLL
Embargo is a bitch

On Monday it's the same
On Tuesday it's the same

Embargo's a bitch
I don't want no glitch!
Please Obsidian

Talk to gamers round the world and it might sound a little bit something like this!

A ripped hole which
You cannot stitch
Now the game is made!
This song was only made

I really mean it,
This waaaaaait
South Paaaaaaaark

Yeeeeah. Chaaaaa!

LOL
March 4th 12 AM PST has been burned into your soul

The Cowboy

The game isn't out yet, shouldn't the pics (the censored image sections) be spoiler tagged?, as they are actually from within the game and are story related.

jschreier

WEEEEEELLLLLLLL
Embargo is a bitch

On Monday it's the same
On Tuesday it's the same

Embargo's a bitch
I don't want no glitch!
Please Obsidian

A ripped hole which
You cannot stitch
Now the game is made!
This song was only made

I really mean it,
This waaaaaait
South Paaaaaaaark

Yeeeeah. Chaaaaa!
If you're worried about glitches, wait for reviews of the game on all three systems.

"From what we've seen."

The combat isn't super complex, but it is fun. It's closer to something like Costume Quest than something like a Final Fantasy. You still have a ton of different weapons, upgrades for weapons, upgrades for your skills, special moves, and some hilarious "ultra" moves. You also have to use certain moves against certain opponents due to things like armor, resistances, etc.

NHale

Just saw a trophy list of someone that got the trophy for finish the game 12 hours after the 1st trophy.

This don't mean the game is 12 hours long because I don't know if the 1st trophy is given at the start or not and the 12 hours is a maximum considering he might have done a break during his play time. But at least the 20 hour for a normal playthrough seems unrealistic.

kudoboi

Any info on what kind of specs a computer will need in order to play this decently?

I don't play many games, but this is one I want to and I just bought a retina mbp (13 inch i5 with intel iris).

I know it's still an integrate gpu, but I doubt that this game would require much. I still have time to exchange it for the 15 inch, but I prefer the portability of the 13 inch.

if you are using macbook pro you would need to bootcamp and run windows 7/8 since this game doesn't support macs

Mononoke

Banned
I've never worked in the game industry, but I've worked in other sections of the entertainment industry. And I have to agree with Jason, that an embargo kind of keeps things in check. Since everything is driven by clicks, sites would be foaming at the mouth to get their review out first. You would think that people would have restraint, and care more about the quality of the review. But nope. People just can't resist, and it would all be about getting it up first. Sadly, it's usually things that get posted first that gets the most traffic. There are things that don't have embargos, and this happens all the time at other levels (it's a terrible environment/feeling as a writer).

What I hate though, is when there is an embargo that leads all the way up to the release date. I get why. Why would a game company want to put all the flaws on the table and possibly impact initial release sales? But to consumers, it comes off as being dishonest (or like they are hiding something). I guess at the end of the day, no one is forced to buy things at release though. If you can't have a little restraint and wait before purchasing on day 1, then that's on you and not the game makers.

Still, it sucks waiting.

Just saw a trophy list of someone that got the trophy for finish the game 12 hours after the 1st trophy.

This don't mean the game is 12 hours long because I don't know if the 1st trophy is given at the start or not and the 12 hours is a maximum considering he might have done a break during his play time. But at least the 20 hour for a normal playthrough seems unrealistic.

oh goddammit. It keeps getting lower, huh? At 20 hours or more I would have been happy to pay the full sixty, but at this point it seems like it might feel rushed. Glad I paid less for it, in retrospect. At least the Jew class means I'll be playing through it at least twice, given that the combat is apparently pretty good.

oh goddammit. It keeps getting lower, huh? At 20 hours or more I would have been happy to pay the full sixty, but at this point it seems like it might feel rushed. Glad I paid less for it, in retrospect.

Don't forget what I said about the in-game time versus my steam time. Which of course, console gamers won't see.

Petrae

Everyone is different, of course, but 12-15 hours for an RPG to me doesn't justify spending $60. For now, I'll cancel my preorder, wait for post-launch testimony, and perhaps pick up the game when it either goes sub-$40 or when an "ultimate edition" hits with extra content and such.

I'm glad that word broke pre-embargo on this. Saved me a bit of money. Interesting that this makes three preorder cancellations already this year (along with Ground Zeroes and Lords of Shadow 2). Good that I'm saving money, disappointing that excitement I had for these games has been dashed.

Mononoke

Banned
Can't believe the worry about the length of this game.

I really don't get why people are surprised by this, I find this counter-reaction baffling. Ever since games have been $60 (which they pretty much have always been, when you consider most games cost even more than $60 with inflation included), people have always wondered if the price is worth it for them. What people "value" is totally subjective to the individual.

I would even argue this perception of value even extends to genres. I think people expect more from an PRG than an action/story game. Mostly because gameplay isn't as much a focus in an action/story game compared to a traditional RPG. This isn't to say RPGs aren't story driven. They obviously are. But a huge aspect of RPG's is their gameplay/combat, and that often extends far beyond just the story.

So when people hear it's a 12 hour RPG, then it makes sense that to some, that doesn't seem worth $60. Not everyone feels that way of course, and that's fine. Everyone has their own "value", and what something is "worth" to them. I try not to judge people, because everyone (well almost everyone) has to work for their money, and are thus the best judge of what something is worth to them and the work they put into obtaining that money.

NHale

Everyone is different, of course, but 12-15 hours for an RPG to me doesn't justify spending $60. For now, I'll cancel my preorder, wait for post-launch testimony, and perhaps pick up the game when it either goes sub-$40 or when an "ultimate edition" hits with extra content and such.

I'm glad that word broke pre-embargo on this. Saved me a bit of money. Interesting that this makes three preorder cancellations already this year (along with Ground Zeroes and Lords of Shadow 2). Good that I'm saving money, disappointing that excitement I had for these games has been dashed.

The question here is the side quests. Skyrim could be finished in 12-15 hours and no one would say the game is short of content.

Real Hero

when i think about how many times i did the same puzzle in skyrim or fought the same enemy i really wouldn't care if this game was 6 hours long

Gurrry

I honestly dont care about the length. (thats what she said)

When some people hear, "RPG", they expect the game to be long and tedious. Its almost a stigma attached to the genre at this point.

However, you cant look at this game like a standard RPG. Its a South Park game first and foremost. It just happens to be styled after an RPG because that was the best route to go stylistically.

DukeBobby

The question here is the side quests. Skyrim could be finished in 12-15 hours and no one would say the game is short of content.

Skyrim has a billion side quests, but I can count the number of good ones on one hand.

I wouldn't say Skyrim is short of content, but it's short of quality content.

Mononoke

Banned
when i think about how many times i did the same puzzle in skyrim or fought the same enemy i really wouldn't care if this game was 6 hours long

Skyrim isn't a good example, because of lot of the dungeon/caves are exactly the same. A lot of the missions lack the creativity/fun of the other games. Skyrim was amazing in terms of being able to traverse this open world. But in all honesty, the game didn't really work when it came to missions. Skyrim was the best game to mod though, you could spent countless hours on PC completely re-working the entire game.

To me, that is what Skyrim will be defined by (which I know is blasphemy, for those that loved that game). But it's just how I feel. I thought Oblivion had better missions (especially the guild quests). A better example would be the Fallout series.

adj_noun

It just happens to be styled after an RPG because that was the best route to go stylistically.

While I agree, I tend to be biased in that respect. I want just about everything turned into an RPG. It's a personal weakness.

Heck, I think you could make a pretty good King of the Hill RPG, I tell you what.

Burt

This thread has become absolutely unbearable to read. A lot of you guys need to just bail for a few days and come back when the game comes out, instead of sitting here arguing in circles.

Real Hero

The game is awesome, but this game is all about going in fresh. I'm sure they didn't want spoilers to get out from early reviews. The PS3 has some stuttering issues in the city when you enter a new section sometimes that lasts for maybe a second or two(will probably be fixed in an upcoming patch), but other than that the game is everything you could want as a Southpark fan. I haven't beat the game yet, but as of now I'd rank it a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. With the heart they put into this game, it really does deserve everyone's support who's interested in it at all. There have already been so many great moments that you will want to experience and I'm not finished yet.

yay positivity

Gurrry

I havent been watching much south park lately. Im starting to wonder if I should go on an all sunday binge to get in that south park mindset... or If i should just wait until the game comes out and play it with a fresh mind.

Hmmm.. first world problems

The obsession with game length is getting way out of hand at this stage. First MGS:GZ and now South Park. I know some people like RPGs to be long with a lot to do but if the game is still really well made and I have fun playing it from start to finish then I don't really care.

Would you rather a concise well made RPG that's maybe a little shorter or one that exaggerated it's length due to tedium or padding? In a perfect world maybe we'd have the best of both

Milennia

The obsession with game length is getting way out of hand at this stage. First MGS:GZ and now South Park. I know some people like RPGs to be long with a lot to do but if the game is still really well made and I have fun playing it from start to finish then I don't really care.

Would you rather a concise well made RPG that's maybe a little shorter or one that exaggerated it's length due to tedium or padding? In a perfect world maybe we'd have the best of both

I think the game just needs to come so people can see it for themselves.
Should curb a ton of the caution some people are experiencing regarding the length.

Petrae

For me, it becomes a matter of price. Given that most games are discounted by at least $20 within 45-60 days of release, length plays into whether I want to spend the premium $60 on launch day, whether I want to wait for that $40 sale, or even perhaps skip the game altogether.

Ground Zeroes at $30 is still too pricey for me given what we know about the length. Once it hits $20 or less, I'll consider it after reading more testimony from other ayers. Lords of Shadow 2 went on my no-buy list after hearing about the stealth elements; I do not want any of that in a Castlevania game, so I'm skipping it. South Park is something I'll probably get down the line, but given that I expect a bit more length from an RPG for $60, it's not a premium, day-one buy for me.

But that's just me. Others will have different decisions.

I think the game just needs to come so people can see it for themselves.
Should curb a ton of the caution some people are experiencing regarding the length.

Precisely. People need to get a feel for what the game is and does rather than basing their judgements on what they think the game might be.

I wouldn't be surprised if many people finish the game and go "Yeah any longer would have felt padded out or filler" or some might even say "Yeah the mechanics aren't really suited to a big 30 hour RPG"

Then again the complete opposite could happen too lol

For me, it becomes a matter of price. Given that most games are discounted by at least $20 within 45-60 days of release, length plays into whether I want to spend the premium $60 on launch day, whether I want to wait for that $40 sale, or even perhaps skip the game altogether.

This then is the type of scenario where you wait and see. A lot of people in here seem to be of the mind that they NEED to buy it day 1 even if the game doesn't meet the standard they have for a full priced game. like they can't wait a little bit for a price drop or second opinions. They're judging a game they know barely anything about yet

phanphare

Banned

I checked with my laptop just to see and it said I could run it at High settings without any frame rate issues fwiw and my laptop is nothing special. I've got an Intel i7 3571U with integrated HD 4000 graphics and 8gb of RAM

well that doesn't sound promising...

Top Bottom