• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

-MD-

The thing is, and this is totally fine, your experience is based on WRPGs which are very much world based and are nine times out of ten very long playing experiences. South Park is very much a JRPG through and through, with Trey and Matt citing Earthbound and Paper Mario as massive influences. These games are very much story and gameplay based, and favour shorter more concise experiences rather than the sprawling epics you are used to from the likes of Bethesda.

You're expecting something that you were never going to get with this game.

This was the reply I was aiming to write with the question I posed but you said it better than I would have.

The thing is, and this is totally fine, your experience is based on WRPGs which are very much world based and are nine times out of ten very long playing experiences. South Park is very much a JRPG through and through, with Trey and Matt citing Earthbound and Paper Mario as massive influences. These games are very much story and gameplay based, and favour shorter more concise experiences rather than the sprawling epics you are used to from the likes of Bethesda.

You're expecting something that you were never going to get with this game. Criticize it all you want, but doing so on the basis it isn't the length of Skyrim or Morrowind is completely incorrect - it's not supposed to be!

I haven´t followed this game at all but..

I NEED this game inside me and I´m not even a Southpark fan.
Obsidian´s take on Earthbound/ Paper Mario....oh boy.

theytookourjobz

That's almost 10 years ago. And seriously, almost all TV/Movie adaptated games suck. There are exceptions, but at least I'm not waiting anything that special out of this... and with around 10h playtime, no thanks. And in the end, that's my opinion, so why I even need to defend my position?

Yes, I like what Trey and Matt are doing, it's really special, but I don't like how their stories, their scripts started to go downhill. Same happened to The Simpsons, haven't watched that in 10 years or so. I still think both have great first 6 or so seasons. What's wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that but this game was written by later Trey and Matt so I'm just letting you know the humor will probably be closer to the seasons you haven't seen.

Wotanik

Banned

You're expecting something that you were never going to get with this game. Criticize it all you want, but doing so on the basis it isn't the length of Skyrim or Morrowind is completely incorrect - it's not supposed to be!

And I understand this very well. And that is why I'm gonna vote with my wallet. Like said, I like my RPGs to be long. But I'll most likely check SP out from some Steam sale - if it gets positive feedback. Maybe I was too harsh with my fanboy critique, because it seems like other people don't mind the short gameplay. It's really ok. I hope the game delivers, so we can add it to the really short "good TV/Movie adaptation game" list. ;)

Nothing is wrong with that but this game was written by later Trey and Matt so I'm just letting you know the humor will probably be closer to the seasons you haven't seen.

I of course know this and that's why I said that I'm not waiting it to be anything special to me.

Finalow

not sure if it has already been posted, this is what you see during the censored scenes.

1393734122-censored-version-of-south-park-the-stick-of-truth.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm trying to order the game from Green Man Gaming but the coupon code doesn't seem to be working. Anyone had any problems?

Which code are you using? OQE4LG-WEQPSE-SMCME1 is the one you want (20% off). If you'd like to save a few bucks, though (~$42.65 versus $48), you can buy the game from Nuuvem.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah that's the one I tried and it doesn't work. Does nuuvem need a VPN to work?

In some cases a VPN is required to purchase from Nuuvem but this doesn't apply to South Park, and since you're in the US you also don't need to worry about the possibility of using a VPN to activate the key on Steam.

th4tguy

When are reviews supposed to be posted? I'm optimistic about the game and will grab it if reviews don't reveal it to be a giant Mr. Hankey.

eggwolio

That image should be hidden behind a link or a spoiler tag.

Also, for those who are saying they'll just buy the Cartman figure seperately, the one you can buy is *tiny* compared to the one in the grand wizard edition. On paper, it doesn't seem like a three inch difference is that much, but when you take his circumference into account, it's really quite staggering. The large one is much larger than I expected.

Third, I was given a steam code for the samurai spaceman pack. I have the 360 version coming on Tuesday, but intend to eventually double dip on the pc version in a sale. Steam won't let me redeem the code since I do not own the game and it says it expires in July. Are these expiration dates actually valid or just a way to cover their bases. I know I've redeemed Xbox codes years after they "expired" with no problems.

th4tguy

The Eembargo lifts the 4th at Midnight PST.

The fact that there isn't an exclusive review that releases a week early is what worries me. Generally, ign or similar website will try to make a deal with the dev/ publisher for an exclusive early review if the review by showing a good review. If they can't produce a good review for the game, they can't get an exclusive early review.

RPGCrazied

Does the game time pause when in menus and watching cutscenes maybe? I guess that would explain why in game time is different than steam says how long you played it?

This is very good point but let it be known I've sadly not watched Southpark in years now. Simply no time and other various reasons, as much as I'd like to. I still laughed my ass off. Take that as you will. :) Tuesday is almost here!

erawsd

So I was listening to some of the South Park commentaries, and it turns out they've already been using game ideas in the show.

Insecurity commentary.

The insecurity episode started off as a game idea where you'd break into people's homes and have to get past their securitiy systems.

Why are there so many assumptions going on right now? :p You can tell we're close to release.

Any EU PC folks planning to play it on Tuesday instead of waiting for official EU launch day?
I'm conflicted!

It's a little light on length.

This is a very subjective comment. You may think that a sub-20 hour RPG is short, but this is a South Park product, first and foremost. I don't want a 50 hour game that gets stale in both story and gameplay after 20 hours in. I'd rather have a shorter, hilarious experience than feel like it's outstayed its welcome.

You have to remember, South Park is 22 minutes long per episode. The longest story lines that they've done are 3 episode arcs, which is still only 66 minutes. This game is roughly 16-18 times that long. Keeping something funny for that length and yet still relevant to a single plot line is very difficult.

Here's a much more recent interview from Trey...maybe you should read this and stop being so salty...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/18/4536822/how-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-got-too-big

Parker said they were urged to "cut it down, cut it down, cut it down," and "that everyone kept saying to us [make that extra content] DLC" — drawing jeers from the crowd — "and I agree... fuck that."

LAM09

I not a fan of RPG's, but the fact it is a South Park is the reason I am interested in it. RPG's are normally notoriously long in the length, but some of them differ. I am still on the fence as to whether or not to purchase it as I am only after a PS3 copy.

This is a very subjective comment. You may think that a sub-20 hour RPG is short, but this is a South Park product, first and foremost. I don't want a 50 hour game that gets stale in both story and gameplay after 20 hours in. I'd rather have a shorter, hilarious experience than feel like it's outstayed its welcome.

You have to remember, South Park is 22 minutes long per episode. The longest story lines that they've done are 3 episode arcs, which is still only 66 minutes. This game is roughly 16-18 times that long. Keeping something funny for that length and yet still relevant to a single plot line is very difficult.

Well said. If the game was 50 hours long, it would have some serious filler and end up a worse game for it in my opinion. Keep it short and sweet.

I just went back and watched some trailers from a year ago or sooner and there is some stuff in there I did not see in the final game. So unless I somehow missed some things. Either cut content or future dlc. For example
I did not ever fight crab people, but more notably I never saw a castle/mansion location at night with goth kids, etc

Extremely curious now. There is a download content in the main menu so.... hmmmmm.

there are plenty of lengthy games that don't have filler. Especially RPGs that are around the 30 hour mark.

Yes, but are those RPGs attempting to be funny for the whole time in a way that South Park does? I'd wager that the ones you are thinking of are more serious, with melodrama dripping from every corner.

there are plenty of lengthy games that don't have filler. Especially RPGs that are around the 30 hour mark.

Those RPGs also dont have a show tied to them and and massive undertaking of voice work to be used for each and every character. Cause lets face it. Reading stuff from these classic characters wouldn't nearly be the same as their voices they provide. Aside from menus everyone talks. No reading whatsoever concerning dialog. I get people s issue with length and the whole time/versus money/versus quality Yet in some cases I feel a shorter length for rpgs is completely acceptable. Plus when was there ever a rule that a RPG "had to be long" I guess I don't play by them rules.

Wasp

Generally if a game is 15 hours long or less I will play it through twice.

I'm fine with the length. Second Son is out 14 days after South Park anyway.

The World Ends With You was a lot shorter than South Park seems to be and I loved that game. If it was any longer, I don't believe the game would have even been as good. It wasted no time, said what it wanted to say and finished leaving me wanting more rather than feeling burnt out. That's exactly what I want from South Park.

asdad123

Any info on what kind of specs a computer will need in order to play this decently?

I don't play many games, but this is one I want to and I just bought a retina mbp (13 inch i5 with intel iris).

I know it's still an integrate gpu, but I doubt that this game would require much. I still have time to exchange it for the 15 inch, but I prefer the portability of the 13 inch.

Any info on what kind of specs a computer will need in order to play this decently?

I don't play many games, but this is one I want to and I just bought a retina mbp (13 inch i5 with intel iris).

I know it's still an integrate gpu, but I doubt that this game would require much. I still have time to exchange it for the 15 inch, but I prefer the portability of the 13 inch.

if a 2d game doesn't run on a toaster then idk what
then again it's obsidian so we'll see at launch I guess

Writing off games based on outside perception of length is so 90s. If you want a 40 hour game with 20 hours of tutorials go play Final Fantasy. Or, maybe wait and see what the overall quality of a game is before pre-judging it based on such a vague metric of quality. Games can be too long, too short, or just right and you can never know which it is until you've played it.

The Godfather and Lord of the Rings are great, long movies. Does that mean you shunned The South Park movie or Team America because it didn't last 3 hours? No. Because that would have been ridiculously stupid.

Top Bottom