• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Wotanik

Banned
The Godfather and Lord of the Rings are great, long movies. Does that mean you shunned The South Park movie or Team America because it didn't last 3 hours? No. Because that would have been ridiculously stupid.

I actually think that LOTR movies are way too long and could be fit into more compact space. That is the reason I don't like them (also that horrendous CGI!). Hobbit movies are even worse because the source material is even thiner and Jackson decided to make three 3-hour-long insanely boring movies, GG.

So you're kinda right. South Park being that short might be a good thing. :)

I can tell you that I'd usually skip alot of side quests and just searching around in games as they felt meaningless, but I want to see and do everything in this game. Plus you need to do at least 2 play throughs of the game to see and do everything. I can't see how someone can be a fan of South Park and not love this honestly. This will be one of the few games I feel will be worth to platinum.

Which version did he review again? I know I've seen some load times before fights and transition areas on the ps3 version on a twitch stream

Megasoum

Banned
I'm so tired of all that omnious and teasing shit.

On the other hand, it is an Obsidian game after all so having a ton of technical issues is par for the course.

Edit: And I hope it's only an issue with the length... March is WAY too busy anyway so I wouldn't mind a shorter game.

Edit2: That too

klicks for kotaku review

erawsd

Could be regarding the length. A 10-13hr RPG is def something people need to be wary of before deciding to plunk down the $$$ or not.

Or it could just be Jason teasing the upcoming review and making people aware of when it's up.

So much tension in this thread, it seems like people are grasping at anything.

Milennia

klicks for kotaku review

He does say "reviews" as opposed to "our review, or review".
Pretty global.
Its just him saying it, you could say the same about any games journalist who says the same.

Tomorrow night we will know all we need to know.

Milennia

I'm guessing 5s-6s

Im still in the ball park of 9s.
I feel that its going to come down to whether the technical issues are annoying enough for the reviewer to dock points.
Im assuming most will put their resident south park fans on the project.
Not to generate bias, but to experience the game as fan service more than someone who isn't a fan.

-GJ-

To be fair the reviewers aren't playing with the day 1 patch, I don't think. Most of the technical issues could be fixed.

The patch has been available on Xbox since (iirc) Friday. That being said, personally I didn't experience any of the bugs in the patchnotes pre-patch.

Supposedly Obsidian changed the way they logged and did bug changes with this game, which was supposed to minimize issues. Guessing that didn't work.

That said, I haven't ever had too much trouble with their games. I know others have, but I have played KOTOR II on PC and Xbox, Neverwinter Nights 2, and FO:NV on 360 and have yet to run into game crippling bugs.

To be fair the reviewers aren't playing with the day 1 patch, I don't think. Most of the technical issues could be fixed.

I don't know if there are any other patches on the way for the release date. There have been already a patch (1.01 as for as i remember) for the game. (on PS3 version)

RPGCrazied

The patch has been available on Xbox since (iirc) Friday. That being said, personally I didn't experience any of the bugs in the patchnotes pre-patch.

Ah, but a GAF user that is playing the PS3 version says it stutters in the main town. So maybe the patch about hitching is for the PS3 version.

btkadams

i have the ps3 wizard edition preordered at $40, but i'll return it to the store after it ships if jason's gonna break my heart with bad news on tuesday.

Nobody's more tired of it than I am. Hate having to keep things from readers. "Don't preorder games" is good advice in general, though.

The same advise came from Trey Parker and Matt Stone as well. Well they don't say "don't preorder games" just "When you pre-order a game, all you're getting is a big dick in your mouth."

Rich!

The only games I ever preorder are Souls, Valve, 3D Mario and Zelda games. I'm happy to wait for reviews on literally everything else.

If you are getting any game it's a good idea to wait for reviews. Why would this game be an exception?

I can't tell anymore... am I to trust review scores and buy only what they say is good or is the entire games media in the pockets of corporations and I'm to trust nothing and no one?

Guess I'll just have to play things and make up my own mind.

My God. The horror.... the horror......... the horror...........

Zukuu

Banned
why do people pre-order at all tho? It's not like there is a shortage of supply. Only reason I see is pre-load for digital versions, but that's about it.

MarkusRJR

why do people pre-order at all tho? It's not like there is a shortage of supply. Only reason I see is pre-load for digital versions, but that's about it.
Usually there is exclusive bonuses or something, otherwise there's no point. For example in Canada, BB and FS had a deal where you get upgraded to the Wizard Edition of South Park for no added costs when you preordered.

Massa

I can't tell anymore... am I to trust review scores and buy only what they say is good or is the entire games media in the pockets of corporations and I'm to trust nothing and no one?

Guess I'll just have to play things and make up my own mind.

My God. The horror.... the horror......... the horror...........

Games must look pretty ugly in your black and white world.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hey guys, you're acting like Obsidian games are critical darlings and always 90% metacritic or something

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alpha-protocol - 72%
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dungeon-siege-iii - 72%

It does help publishers decide if they want to further the relationship. I know people think it's just some money scam, but the guy for SEGA was on CGR a while ago talking about how people need to preorder Yakuza because it gave them a good idea of if they should look further into it. They make those decisions pretty early, so pre-order numbers help

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

In the case of South Park:

- I've been looking forward to the game for some time
- I'm a sucker for pre-purchase-exclusive goodies
- It's a licensed game, so at some point in the relatively near future Ubi is going to lose the licence, meaning the game will be pulled from Steam
- It was $20

Nobody's more tired of it than I am. Hate having to keep things from readers. "Don't preorder games" is good advice in general, though.
I suppose the game must be a little dodgy then:( It is probably lucky that I am in the UK then, I'll have a chance to cancel my order if it is a train wreck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The issue with embargos is that they're really the fault of everybody. If I leak a review, I get replaced. So that's on me. Gamers generally won't wait to read reviews that come out days after release, so we have to rely on advance code. So that's on everybody. Companies have a vested interest in making sure their game is held in the best light, so they institute embargos and tightly-controlled preview events. That's on them.

There really isn't a way to "fix" the game reviews process, without changing the nature of enthusiast journalism, consumer spending habits and then also suddenly make game publishers purely altruistic.

So, embargos and frustration on all parts it is.

Top Bottom