• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

It had the best humour though. A bunch of rapid-fire jokes and gags that may hit or miss, but they kept up the variety and didn't linger too much on a single idea. Props to the funny faces throughout the episode, and especially the ones on the quiz cracked me up.

The preview looked really good and it's Natsume, it should be a pretty highly produced episode.

Jintor

I felt like maybe this was one of the better - or at least more traditionally - composed episodes recently. I enjoyed it a good deal.

TheRancor

It may not have been as experimental or weird as some of the previous episodes but I really enjoyed this one, loved the humor and it's sheer variety involving the characters. Show continues to look great with some heavyweight assistant animation directors in this one. Really great character acting.

Mature

YOGfUHg.png

QT pretty much stole the show in this one. So funny.

Dr.Gel using a Psmove Wiimote hybrid.

When the chamoleonian first made its appearance as the middleaged man, that part had me laughing quite a bit, it was just so random .

Episode 12 was GRRRRRRRRRRREAT

I just marathoned all 12 episodes so far, this show is now one of my biggest anime favourites of all time, personally I rank it above Kill la Kill for over-the-top fun and overall character design/likeability. The English dub is surprisingly good too! :eek:

Also, Dr. Gel's character design. SO EXQUISITE, 5/5 *mmmmmwah*

Where's the Dr. Gel love on GAF? WHO'S WITH ME?!

edit: Does anyone know where to find the full version of the song in episode 12, that plays in the background at
the 'Meanwhile at Boobies' narrated scene at the episode's end
?

Seda

I don't know if it's because the humor is actually better or if because I now know better what to expect, but I'm more positive of the show now than I was after 5 episodes. This one was pretty consistent with the joke (a shape shifting alien that can be anything) throughout, and never lingered on a particular 'punchline' for too long before taking the joke in a different direction. Perhaps not the most clever episode, but solid.

duckroll

There was a BONES fan event a few hours ago, and part of it was a Q&A with the Japanese cast of Space Dandy along with Watanabe. There wasn't a ton of info, but they did mention that there'll be more new creators contributing to the second season, it'll be crazier than the first, and Dandy's voice actor mentioned that there'll be a few episodes in season 2 where Dandy will sing. Lol.

There was a BONES fan event a few hours ago, and part of it was a Q&A with the Japanese cast of Space Dandy along with Watanabe. There wasn't a ton of info, but they did mention that there'll be more new creators contributing to the second season, it'll be crazier than the first, and Dandy's voice actor mentioned that there'll be a few episodes in season 2 where Dandy will sing. Lol.

Man Ian Sinclair is gonna get a lot of singing in two of his three biggest roles (Brook from OP, Toriko, and Dandy)

Mature

You said that Yuasa's episode is 16 earlier. You don't happen to have more staff listings past episode 13 you can share, do you?

Grakl

episode 12: QT was hella funny this ep, and I liked the chameleonian being a generic japanese guy that was probably modeled after one of the people working on the show

rankingz, newer eps are noticeably better for the most part

9 > 7 > 12 > 2 > 4 > 11 > 10 > 8 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 5

duckroll

You said that Yuasa's episode is 16 earlier. You don't happen to have more staff listings past episode 13 you can share, do you?

I only know what people bother to talk about, mostly on Twitter. When episode 9 aired, Takashi Hashimoto thought that it was Yuasa's episode, and he made a remark implying that he was looking forward to seeing Shinya Ohira's work show up. He might have heard something or something, but someone else (I think it was Okuno?) corrected him that Yuasa's episode was coming later, and that it was episode 16.

Bahi tweeted yesterday that he completed his work on episode 14, which would make that the first episode of season 2. Considering Bahi last worked on episode 1, which was a Natsume episode, and Natsume being the director of the show and having handled the first and last episodes of the first season, I think it's probable that he'll be doing the first episode of season 2 too.

Aside from that, we know that Mihara is working on another episode, and today at the BONES event Watanabe mentioned that the Noragami director Kotaro Tamura and character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto will also be joining the creative team for season 2, so they should be doing an episode too. Out of the current existing creator's list on the official site, the director/animators who haven't done anything in season 1 other than Yuasa would be Masashi Ikeda, Takaaki Wada, and Fumihiko Takayama.

I think that's all we know at the moment.

Crocodile

Episode 12

What I think I liked the most about this episode was how the characters moved and emoted; it really brought them to life and amped up the humor. I agree with the above in that QT was the standout this episode :)

In other matters, any word if Season 2 retains the same OP/ED or if any of them are new?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Episode 12

In other matters, any word if Season 2 retains the same OP/ED or if any of them are new?
Watanabe said he heard what fans wanted internationally, so they're officially ditching the JP OP/ED for the ones Funimation made.

Mature

I only know what people bother to talk about, mostly on Twitter. When episode 9 aired, Takashi Hashimoto thought that it was Yuasa's episode, and he made a remark implying that he was looking forward to seeing Shinya Ohira's work show up. He might have heard something or something, but someone else (I think it was Okuno?) corrected him that Yuasa's episode was coming later, and that it was episode 16.

Bahi tweeted yesterday that he completed his work on episode 14, which would make that the first episode of season 2. Considering Bahi last worked on episode 1, which was a Natsume episode, and Natsume being the director of the show and having handled the first and last episodes of the first season, I think it's probable that he'll be doing the first episode of season 2 too.

Aside from that, we know that Mihara is working on another episode, and today at the BONES event Watanabe mentioned that the Noragami director Kotaro Tamura and character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto will also be joining the creative team for season 2, so they should be doing an episode too. Out of the current existing creator's list on the official site, the director/animators who haven't done anything in season 1 other than Yuasa would be Masashi Ikeda, Takaaki Wada, and Fumihiko Takayama.

I think that's all we know at the moment.
Ahh, thanks. Still got a lot to look forward to in terms of talent. And of course Kawamoto needs to be brought on to design Cowboy Andy for his imminent cameo...

I haven't done this in awhile, let's see...
10>11>2>8>7>12>9>4>1>6>5>3

Ninjimbo

I think I'm partial to the episodes written by Kimiko Ueno. If I'm not mistaken, they've been more grounded fitting into the type of comedy I like.

Cwarrior

seeing that season 1 is ending soon I decide to catch up with space dandy.

Episode 5

This is episode is so Terrible cliche that it hurts to watch, the script so bad it's typical Anime movie script levels of bad.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people got paid for this.

Worse then episode 3 but still not as bad as 1 making it the second worse episode of space dandy.

3/10

Episode 6

I've seen this type of story done lots of times before, of two similar/parallel sides locked in an never ending conflict problem here is I've seen it executed a million times better, with this episode being the weakest execution of it I can think of.

Dandy living out his silly surfing dream ending was cool but not enough to make up for having to go through samey boring scenes & conversation about pants/vests.

4.5/10

Going to post the rest for 7 to 9 later.

This statement confuses me a great deal.

I kinda agree [can't comment on the style thing though]. Japanese opening is better, western closer is better. But making it less 'Japanesy', is probably the best route.

Anyways, I was suprised to see a preview on this ep, is 13 coming next week, or is it still second season?

Either way, 12 was great, QT killed it. Lmao at his game show troll face.

Since this is the end for now[maybe], I'll go ahead and rerank em.

7, 3[even with the trashy fanservice, super hype monster fight cures all wounds], 1, 2, 8, 12, 10, 4, 6, 9, 11.................................................................... and then 5, in that order, best to worst in my oppinion.
Can't wait for season 2. While I can easilly agree this isn't on par with Champloo or Bebop, this anime has quite surpassed my initial hopes for it. Watanabe is back.

I kinda agree [can't comment on the style thing though]. Japanese opening is better, western closer is better. But making it less 'Japanesy', is probably the best route.

Anyways, I was suprised to see a preview on this ep, is 13 coming next week, or is it still second season?

Either way, 12 was great, QT killed it. Lmao at his game show troll face.

Since this is the end for now[maybe], I'll go ahead and rerank em.

7, 3[even with the trashy fanservice, super hype monster fight cures all wounds], 1, 2, 8, 12, 10, 4, 6, 9, 11.................................................................... and then 5, in that order, best to worst in my oppinion.
Can't wait for season 2. While I can easilly agree this isn't on par with Champloo or Bebop, this anime has quite surpassed my initial hopes for it. Watanabe is back.

13 is next week. then it'll be back in July.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How is "anime scenes hacked to pieces and set to random OST track" an '80s thing?

Well....
Fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight
Never running from a real fight!
She is the one named Sailor Moon!
Cardcaptors
A mystic adventure
Cardcaptors
A quest for all time
Each card possesses a power all its own
We've got to find them to bring the power home
Give or take 10 years.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Bahahahaha.

"A planet that looks like it has chameleons"

Also someone gif that 100 million woolong reaction face

We need a gif of bronze, statuesque Dandy after the quiz. It's when he's confused about his true identity.

Edit:

INCREDIBLE TIMING

Edit2;

↓ There it is.

Man I never saw the japanese credits before, never even considered a multiverse theme for this show before. But it makes a lot of sense now and I've gained a whole new appriciation for this show on top of the great one I already had. Just wanted to bring this convo back up for a second to say something..

DarkKyo, just answer this question, will you feel a stinging sense of disappointment when the entire series ends and it never establishes any sort of continuity nor does it confirm that any of those random stuff in various episodes are connected? Because I'm fairly sure that's exactly what is going to happen.

I think theres a good chance that this will be the case, BUT I think that it doesn't matter. Its all there for people who want to dig that deep into the anime to find it, so we can just piece it together ourselves and go "yeah, thats fucking awesome" without the anime actually going through the lengths of spelling it out plainly for all the more casual viewers who don't want to go that far. FLCL is a great example of this, you can really dig deep into that show if you want to, and theres quite a lot to find, but the show never actually forces you to, you can just as easily (far far easier actually) just enjoy it for its chaotic fun.

Aside from this multiverse stuff, I think a lot of these episodes have one-off themes that are quite deep as well, social, scientific and philosophical themes, even though they are never forced in your face like a South Park episode or something. I'm sure i'm not the only one who got a major social commentary vibe from the zombie episode. It was these single episode themes I had been focused on before, but now thanks to this trhead I've become aware of this greater show-wide theme. And it just happens to be one of my favorite subjects ever.

This show, my god I love it.

Gorillaz

ehhhhh it wasn't a bad episode but not one of the better ones

I liked the beginning of the doppelganger joke but it felt like it went on a little too long by the mid way point. Which was the problem since it was what the whole episode was about.

So I take it the show is now on break until a new set of episodes later in the year or just a plain normal season 2?

Cwarrior

US Opening

Japanese Opening

Japanese Opening with lyrics

I think the Japanese opening sets the mood better for the craziness that is about to follow. And I'm also partial to Scarlet showing off her moves.

I really like the japanese opening the music sounds catchy but the lyrics are just rubbish, I was better of not knowing what there saying :/

They probably couldn't find an english speaking human being that's willing to say that crap :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really like the japanese opening the music sounds catchy but the lyrics are just rubbish, I was better of not knowing what there saying :/

They probably couldn't find an english speaking human being that's willing to say that crap :p

It's obviously at least a little tongue in cheek though. I mean when you talk about a character like Dandy and his flowing tears or whatever... it's funny!

todd360

QT falling in love with fishing made was hilarious. The glasses and the fact that he had a blog is what did it for me.

You never know what to expect with this show.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd actually like it more if the robot would also look gender-neutral. Makes the "robots have no gender but can fall in love" a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom