• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd360

This weeks episode was so good. Who would have thought a story about a vacuum and a coffee maker would be so good.

how the hell did she not fall for qt? I'm calling shenanigans. He carried her outside and she's never seen the outside world. They shared a beautiful moment! Lol

duckroll

Since everyone has finally seen the episode I can post more impressions!

I liked it quite a bit. The characterizations were done pretty well, and honestly, any episode where we see less of Dandy and Meow being dumbasses is already a much better episode. The designs were really creative, especially for the cityscape. One of the better "futuristic" looks the series has had. I'll say the space train in ep5 and the city in ep13 are my favorite sets in the first season.

I'm really glad the direction was pretty solid too, because the first episode of the series really made me question Natsume's ability in storyboarding and directing for a show like this. While that was a misstep, he definitely showed that he can do a lot better here. It's nice to see a character driven episode lead up to really nice action in the end which actually meant something, instead of just random crazy antics. Dai Sato did a pretty good job with the script, so that certainly helped.

The insert song is one of my favorites this season as well. I've listened to it several times now. Maybe I'm just addicted to autotune... help! :)

Jarmel

Banned
The insert song is one of my favorites this season as well. I've listened to it several times now. Maybe I'm just addicted to autotune... help! :)

My understanding is that it's an old school vocoder since they couldn't use modern instruments anyway.

Pete Rock

So excited for more Space Dandy! Prefer the subbed versions with the full length opener, saw two dubbed episodes and it just didn't jive on the same level. This last episode was absolutely beautiful.

Levyne

Banned
So excited for more Space Dandy! Prefer the subbed versions with the full length opener, saw two dubbed episodes and it just didn't jive on the same level. This last episode was absolutely beautiful.

I know this is a small thing, and doesn't affect your opinion of the dub itself, but they did manage to get rights to the full opening about half way though.

Clov

QT is my favorite character, so having an episode all about him was a nice change of pace. I think I even got a little teary eyed near the end. Over a vacuum cleaner!

That fight at the end was great too! The animation was just so fluid in it. I'm really looking forward to the second half in July.

I learned while watching the latest episode that QT was a dude. Always thought he was a girl the whole time for some reason, the voice (in the english dub at least) is pretty feminine lol.

Great episode. Loved the crazy futuristic skyline. If i can find a high enough resolution version of it I might put it as my wallpaper.

Grakl

episode 13: it was okay, didn't really feel for QT, but a couple parts were funny -- definitely one of the meh episodes, and QT was way better in ep 12

I'd rather just go watch wall-e

9 > 7 > 12 > 2 > 4 > 11 > 10 > 8 > 13 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 5

aechris

Here's my preferred order:
10 > 13 > 12 > 4 > 11 > 6 > 2 > 7 > 8 > 3 > 1 > 9 > 5

Overall I don't love the show, but I am compelled to keep watching. There's something here, although I think it just misses the mark too often. The fanservice Boobies bullshit pisses me off to no end, but then you get something like ep 10 or 13 and it's amazing. Actually the last few eps were really good in the regard. I don't mind him being a perv, but you can write it tastefully without being so "teenager-y" (I don't care what the demographic is, I want it for me only, haha).

I watched a mix of dubbed/subbed episodes, and while I think the dub is really great, I think I prefer the sub.

Will definitely continue in the summer, which is nice to say considering I was ready to drop it before the amazing end of episode 6 hit.

Not gonna bother ranking but I didn't like episodes 1, 4 or 11. I enjoyed every episode aside from those and episode 13 was pretty good but the realization that it wasn't QT was kinda dumb.

tumblr_n38ij6Kz011qzqnxxo1_500.gif

WAX ON
WAX OFF
WAX ON
WAX OFF

Man this show was such a good chill out watch for me. I gotta find something else to fill that niche til july I guess.
Great show, ep 7 was amazing.

Mature

everyone hating on ep 5 :(

i just googled to see which ep it was..

that was one of my favourites!
It was pretty divisive, but there was a handful of people who really enjoyed it.

I thought it didn't have enough substance, it felt a bit too by the numbers for me, but I still enjoyed it.

I liked it as an episode, but not as an episode of space dandy if that makes sense. I think an episode like that would have worked better later on in the season or in s2.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't see why it doesn't fit.

I wish they would make more serious episodes than random ones.

[A]ny episode where we see less of Dandy and Meow being dumbasses is already a much better episode.
Perfectly stated.

I see a lot of parallels between this show and Panty & Stocking because of the wide range of good and bad episodes. I wish they would focus on story and make Dandy less of a fool . . . or only a fool when it's funny. When it misses, it makes the whole show suffer.

I really found it hard to watch, personally. Though, ever since I found out about moe, my skin starts to crawl whenever a little girl character jumps on screen in an anime.
Had to quit the dmc anime 1 ep in over that.

I don't see why it doesn't fit.

I wish they would make more serious episodes than random ones.

Perfectly stated.

I see a lot of parallels between this show and Panty & Stocking because of the wide range of good and bad episodes. I wish they would focus on story and make Dandy less of a fool . . . or only a fool when it's funny. When it misses, it makes the whole show suffer.

I started that yesterday. The bee's episode was the only one I didn't enjoy so far. But I Had to stop after Pulp Addiction. Tears were running down my face. That segment..episode, might be the funniest piece of entertainment I've ever seen.

fallagin

This show confuses me to no end. At points it feels like it might get more serious and start to have a central plot, but they usually throw that on it's head. What gets me is the more sentimental episodes that hint at something deeper. I suppose it might just be like futurama where sentimental episodes are the exception. Very interested in seeing season 2.

Dresden

Really liked the episode (13). Some good focus on the best crew member, and the last third or so was fantastic stuff.

p.s. coffee maker was moe as fuck

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This show confuses me to no end. At points it feels like it might get more serious and start to have a central plot, but they usually throw that on it's head. What gets me is the more sentimental episodes that hint at something deeper. I suppose it might just be like futurama where sentimental episodes are the exception. Very interested in seeing season 2.

You can still be substantial and be episodic.

Jacob

I can't say I ever got that impression. The more sentimental episodes were usually still pretty goofy by the standards of most non-gag shows. I do think the show got a lot funnier after the first several episodes, though I think the zombie one (4?) is still my overall favorite. That's probably in part due to my expectations being so low at that point, though. The really out-there episodes like the plant one and the book one didn't do it for me so much, though it's cool that Watanabe is able to give experimental animation like that such a high-profile platform.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I started that yesterday. The bee's episode was the only one I didn't enjoy so far. But I Had to stop after Pulp Addiction. Tears were running down my face. That segment..episode, might be the funniest piece of entertainment I've ever seen.
I remember being very confused by that episode. I think most people in the thread were. However, I think that the show had some very good moments, that were muddled by those that didn't really land.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRURRRU is still one of my favorite things to laugh about on occation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom