• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So almost every episode ends with "To be continued" except for a few

I don't feel like looking up episode names so brief descriptions:

1. the one with the space race, where Dandy goes so fast he travels to the deep future and finds a Buddha statue but of him instead. It said "The End"

2. Planet Grease, the dancing episode, said "Thank you"

3. Planet Trendy, the fake dating with Scarlett episode, had nothing

Did I miss any? I suspect that the episodes are out of order and if they ever explain the multi dimension thing, it'll make more sense.

So almost every episode ends with "To be continued" except for a few

I don't feel like looking up episode names so brief descriptions:

1. the one with the space race, where Dandy goes so fast he travels to the deep future and finds a Buddha statue but of him instead. It said "The End"

2. Planet Grease, the dancing episode, said "Thank you"

3. Planet Trendy, the fake dating with Scarlett episode, had nothing

Did I miss any? I suspect that the episodes are out of order and if they ever explain the multi dimension thing, it'll make more sense.

They did explain the multi-dimensional thing though...

They did explain the multi-dimensional thing though...

they did a few times. not necessarily contradicting but I'm hoping for something more concrete

Planet Limbo spirit sent him to other dimensions
there was an early episode where he hit the warp drive button too many times and QT said he could split them into other dimensions that way
the fabric of space threads where he actually merged several dimensions and put them back

I might have missed some but there were 2 times where 1 dimension's crew remembered stuff from another dimension's

Meow said "better than that 1 time we were all zombies"
and I think there was another recent one but I can't remember

I think Meow mentioning the zombie thing was from the gallant space-gentleman episode. If I recall correctly, Meow says that Dandy looked better as a zombie than his then-current malnourished state.

Renekton

I might have missed some but there were 2 times where 1 dimension's crew remembered stuff from another dimension's

It could be the episodes happened in the same dimension, just that the crew/universe recovered from the
zombie outbreak

UpperCaseN said:

I remembered my 2nd point:

Gel and Bean had a conversation on how it sucks that they get blown up and die all the time

TimmiT

That episode was surprisingly tame for Space Dandy. A tame Space Dandy episode is still surreal though, so I guess that just kinda says something about the series as a whole.
I'm surprised that they actually explained the multiple universes thing though.

Soma

That was fun. Kinda expected them to run with the concept a bit further but it was a pretty solid episode. Honey kinda felt tossed into this episode randomly.

Dr. Gel never catches a break either lol.

Two more Saturdandys left. :(

So good. Soon good at being pliable and not breaking due to changing conceptually week in and out.

They went 2D and we got the Space Invaders homages that were deserved. The rest of the 2D animation for Dr. Gel was impressive. It had good depth even though the image was flat. And the 4D cube for Catherine/Katherine was exceptional. The cubes were always changing their shape.

duckroll

Episode 24

This was a good change of pace after the last bunch of episodes. Much more laid back, more subtle, and a story which simmers without boiling over. It's much less insane than Toh Enjoe's previous episode (ep11), but the foundations of the episode's ideas are definitely just as disturbing and crazy if you think about it. I really liked how they handled the 2D stuff, and it was pretty funny. Dr Gel got quite a bit of good screen time here. Too bad he's going to be a jobber to the end.

So Dandy actually knows that every time anyone warps, they don't really "teleport" from one place to another, but rather another them in the closest similar dimension in that place and time just becomes "aware" of having warped. That's pretty crazy. And he doesn't even care. That's so dandy. :)

Finalow

I'm not sure if I got that last part, basically everytime you warp another version of you, from another universe, takes your place? But you can't tell the difference unless you're like Catherine. she says "you're not the Dandy I loved/you're not the same guy before and after the warp". Dandy is 'special' anyway.

besides that, another great episode. I really liked how they handled the whole 2D universe thing.

K(C?)atherine was a Tesseract. She is a hypercube, which is a cube with dimensions greater than three, and a tesseract is a 4 dimensional hypercube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

The cool thing they did with her is her animation. In a tesseract model when it is rotated, the inside edge moves outside and becomes the outside edge rotates in to be the inside edge.

Renekton

So Dandy actually knows that every time anyone warps, they don't really "teleport" from one place to another, but rather another them in the closest similar dimension in that place and time just becomes "aware" of having warped.
Basically, the warp technology used by 3rd dimensionals doesn't warp someone - they're destroyed, and a copy of them is created light years away.
Words cannot describe how uncomfortable I am with that concept... took a shower after the show <_<

K(C?)atherine was a Tesseract. She is a hypercube, which is a cube with dimensions greater than three, and a tesseract is a 4 dimensional hypercube.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract
Wow nice find. Thanks!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm not sure if I got that last part, basically everytime you warp another version of you, from another universe, takes your place? But you can't tell the difference unless you're like Catherine. she says "you're not the Dandy I loved/you're not the same guy before and after the warp". Dandy is 'special' anyway.

besides that, another great episode. I really liked how they handled the whole 2D universe thing.

Basically, the warp technology used by 3rd dimensionals doesn't warp someone - they're destroyed, and a copy of them is created light years away.

Since the technology is made by 3rd dimensionals, though, it only copies the parts of them that they can observe - it copies their lower 3 dimensional physical attributes. the 4th spacial dimension part of their physical being, which catherine could observe as a 4th dimensional, doesn't get copied properly.

Imagine if after warping, the width of your body at various points was all fucked up. Or the thickness/thinness. Or the height/length.

That's what it's like for catherine observing a 3rd dimensional after warping. They're completely fucked up on one plane.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
@all these explanations

leon_s__kennedy___resident_evil__damnation_by_soldier_cloud_strife-d5g11pz.gif

Mortemis

Banned
So its like the realization that the dudes in star trek came to, that when you warp you are destroyed and a clone takes your place? That shit is unsettling as fuck.

I'm so damn confused still, like what did they mean about a Dandy from another dimension becoming aware or something.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
WELL I dunno about this "the original is destroyed" stuff, dudes. That's the theory behind teleportation sure, but this inter-dimensional stuff sounds a little different.

Basically, there's a "self-awareness" that just transfers between dimensions. I don't think the Dandy that the self-awareness "leaves" is necessarily destroyed, it's pretty unclear what happens there really. It's kinda like Quantum Leap.

It's not super clear why to Catherine it's not "her" Dandy, though. You'd think that the Dandy you loved is defined by his awareness, yeah? Not his body? Unless the implication is that the awareness is CLONED during a warp, and overwrites the awareness of the body it arrives in, rather than being actually transferred. A three-dimensional transfer being a file copy, while you'd need a fourth-dimensional transfer to do an actual "move."

Either way though yes it's pretty unclear what happens to the original.

...though I guess from the perspective of someone watching a warp, the warp-ee just disappears huh. Maybe they're being destroyed after all. D:

DarkKyo

The green lawyer sounds just like Dean Venture!

Edit:
Dandy captured by the Gogol Empire!!
Next episode looks amaaaazing..... From the looks of the preview you can really tell they saved a huge chunk of the budget just for the finale .

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wasn't a big fan of the way the case ended
a bratty twitter feud? Really?
but excellent audio and visual direction this time around. And then the sudden outburst of plot at the end.

Tomorrow's gonna be a hell of a ride. I will miss this show. :(

DarkKyo

Meh episode...but suddently plot.

Was DarkKyo more right than we gave him credit for all along? :p

There was just no way they could close out the series without having Dandy finally encounter the Empire... also we just learned another tidbit about Dandy,
his pionium(sp?) levels are through the roof lol

Also, did anyone notice
Johnny
in the preview!? Looking awesome!!

Space Dandy 25

"Then what was the point of this whole trial?"

Meta show audience commentary?

I wasn't too much of a fan of this episode. I guess if anime had bottle episodes this would be Space Dandy's. If anything the most enjoyment I got out of this episode, outside of the end, was the alien designs. We had all of those really extra terrestrial looking aliens, and we also had the glasses kid who looked straight out of an 80's anime.

The scene with baseball was great though, looked amazing visually. I guess my biggest disappointment is that for a show about Space Dandy, he had little to do this episode. I want to learn more about him, and none of the characters here got a focus. It was entirely focused on throw-away characters with a 'cameo' by the recurring cast.

All I can see as the reason this was made into an episode is the Pyonian energy/particle explanation. I know I know, complaining about the point of an episode in Dandy seems pointless since it's an episodic show, but out of all the episodes I've seen this seems the most like it was used to fill up an episode count (outside of the Honey one). Dandy having little to say is a big part of it I guess. I mean the whole point of the trial at the end seemed to be that
younger generations don't know what not to say in social media

The ending I liked and was especially satisfying since
they were discussing the question of why Dandy attracted the ball, and lo and behold we have the army ready to capture him
. Next episode, the finale, seems like we have all of the main recurring characters (which were all present in this trial) hanging out. I don't expect any resolution on some minor plot lines, such as a certain romantic spark that wasn't explored further and made audiences sad, but I do expect the whole 'Dandy being special' story line to end. And it'll be glorious, baby.

Crocodile

This week's episode was good. Haters gonna hate; different strokes for different folks; etc.

All the twitter references are going to date the show big time in a decade or so though :(

THAT PREVIEW THOUGH O_O

Branduil

Not a fan of this episode. The baseball part was good, but the humor derived from an American courtroom drama set in space only lasts so long, and that length isn't 24 minutes.

The regular uploader has the preview for the next episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoeXX8jc5Ps

Hey surprise surprise, the rock n roll bro who was
the leader of the opposing empire
shows up again. Who could've seen that coming, besides everybody because there was no other reason to give him that position lol.

Looking forward to the episode. I wish it were western tv, its chances of being a 1-hour finale would be higher if it were.

duckroll

Epsiode 25

For an episode which seems to be written with the message of "this is a huge waste of time, but hey the finale is coming up next week!" it was pretty fun. In the end it was an episode which really had nothing to do with Dandy at all, and was mostly an excuse for the show to pretend to have a court case. I liked the camerawork a lot, and while it's clearly a very, very economical episode, I think it looked interesting most of the time. I think the only drawback is that there just wasn't much content. It's the sort of gag which would have been much better as a short bonus episode rather than a full runtime. I don't think it was actually bad though, until episode 19! *cough*

Next week is going to be insane in terms of animation. They're going to go all out for the finale with all the major supporting characters and stuff. Can't wait. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom