• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a TV in my dorm but there's a TV down in the lobby. I really need to watch Space Dandy. Although I'm worried it might go on a tangent about boobies and butts and I might get some weird stares.

*Note, I don't wanna watch the sub

So guys i dropped this show after like the 3rd or 4th ep of the 1st season cause it looked like it was going to be just a bunch of random shit with a side of boobies. Does it have some actual funny moments now or at least a plot? Im ok with either as long as the jokes arent boobs related

Shergal

So guys i dropped this show after like the 3rd or 4th ep of the 1st season cause it looked like it was going to be just a bunch of random shit with a side of boobies. Does it have some actual funny moments now or at least a plot? Im ok with either as long as the jokes arent boobs related

It's an anthology series, and while some episodes have had good humour, I don't feel like that side is the main appeal.

It seems with the preview for 24 and some of the staff saying it will be a 'key' episode for the show, they will be introducing some kind of plot to end the show on.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

If you're looking for a strong overarching plot, you're looking at the wrong show.

Space Dandy gets a lot better as it goes, though there is the occasional dip since the show is so episodic.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't think "plot" is one of the key points to Space Dandy. They have lowered the number of boobie's jokes. It's better than the first season, but I don't know if it's going to be much of an improvement if you couldn't tolerate it.

Crocodile

Space Dandy 23

-First 22 minutes
carlton-dance-o.gif

-Last 2 minutes
angry-duck-o.gif

Soma

Aw that was really nice.

That was pretty much everything I could've hoped for with a set up like this week's episode. Comedy was solid, some great brief animation cuts and the music was really on point through out the entire episode. Scarlet's a pretty cool character and I appreciate the brief moments the show allows her to take the spotlight. Ending was to be expected but still had impact. It felt like a bit of a slight homage to 5 Centimeters Per Second in a way.

But yeah definitely one of the best non-"experimental" episodes so far.

Branduil

Space Dandy 23

Another really strong episode. Great use of montage, and Dandy showed there's more to him than just a flat stereotype. It's surprising how much it got me to root for something that was obviously never going to happen.

Space Dandy 23
You know I feel that if this had been any other show, it would have been just another episode of Dandy being a jackass the whole time. But it wasn't. And that's the beauty of Dandy, baby. Just when you think you've got him all figured out you are hit with character development, and god damn was it good. I was always curious when Scarlet was going to get her proper episode, especially after the episode where they meet up in the singles retreat.

The amount of chemistry they had was incredible, and the sweetness of
both of them having a shared passion and being utterly geeky about it
was actually damn adorable. I find myself sad with the ending, because as much as I love jokester Dandy I find myself loving serious Dandy even more at points.

God damn. That stung. Especially at the end
they were so close in meeting up and cementing a relationship, yet missed each other
. And now it seems like it's back to the status quo, but with
a bit of lingering feelings towards each other, which makes me hope that maybe they do end up together
. But knowing the format of the show this show as largely a comedy and free-roam experiment, it won't happen. Which again is a shame, but thems the deals with Dandy baby. A sweet and sour experience.

Next episode looks like
another romantic themed one
and a very sci-fi one at that, the preview made it seem like it might be another one to join the ranks of the best of dandy episodes which is a lot to say based on a preview alone. I'm pretty sure this might be where Dandy shedding a tear in the opening comes from.
Tragic romances
are among the best topics to do in sci-fi, it somewhat happened here and now seems like it'll go full throttle next episode. Cannot wait.

This show is not the same miss and hit we got in the first season. Which leads me to believe that they chose what they saw as the weaker episodes and put them largely in the first half to get them over with and end amazingly.

I shit you not, Dandy might be my AOTS.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Is this the thread where we complain and sulk the the OTP is not complete
because thats where I came for

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I got to say the semi serious episodes where dandy has to interact heavily with a female (the dog counts too) are so far usually the best ones in the show.

I got to say the semi serious episodes where dandy has to interact heavily with a female (the dog counts too) are so far usually the best ones in the show.

Gotta agree. Mainly because he shows his sweeter side in these episodes as well, and he actually is quite a gigantic puppy once you get past his womanizer mask. Even the girl in the high school musical episode saw it.

duckroll

Episode 23

Yeah that was a really enjoyable "straight" episode of Dandy. Nothing particularly artsy about it, not of a off the rocker comedy episode, but was surprisingly emotional and worked out really well. I'll say it felt a lot like episode 5 and episode 10. It's always nice to see totally random mecha action on Dandy too. As usual. the music really sets the right tone for the show too. I really like Scarlet as a character, wish she would get more episodes. It's a pity ep19 turned out so poorly, would have liked to see her in an episode where she gets to really shine - like in ep2 and here.

Next week is probably going to be super weird, so it was good to have an episode like this to relax first. :)

Jigolo

That ending though. FUUUU. Reminded me of that one anime movie (forgot the name)

Man I might need to buy the BR's when they come out, the show has been fantastic throughout the whole second season.

Htown

Got a question for the people who watch this with subtitles.

What does the narrator say in his introduction to Planet Trendy in the Japanese version?

Archgan

Got a question for the people who watch this with subtitles.

What does the narrator say in his introduction to Planet Trendy in the Japanese version?

I don't usually watch the subs, but I just watched the introduction. It was disappointing. It said, "There, couples can find all kinds of fancy places suitable for dates. Going on trendy dates on this planet is a sign of status for chic couples."

Archgan

Why? What does it say for the English version?

"This is Plant Trendy, a popping joint where you will find the hippest couples in the universe dropping it like it's hot. If you want to show your bae that you da man, then you best turn up here. Er'body in the place be swaggin'. Don't matter whether shortie like hangin' outdoors or getting crunk in da club. If you got the scrilla, Planet Trendy got yo back."

"This is Plant Trendy, a popping joint where you will find the hippest couples in the universe dropping it like it's hot. If you want to show your bae that you da man, then you best turn up here. Er'body in the place be swaggin'. Don't matter whether shortie like hangin' outdoors or getting crunk in da club. If you got the scrilla, Planet Trendy got yo back."

That was incredible. I love all the extra touches they add to the dub.

Anyways, I thought this episode was fantastic. This second season (or part 2 of one season?) has been consistently much better than the last one in my opinion.

dan2026

It doesn't actually say that right?

Htown

I don't usually watch the subs, but I just watched the introduction. It was disappointing. It said, "There, couples can find all kinds of fancy places suitable for dates. Going on trendy dates on this planet is a sign of status for chic couples."

Lame as hell.

It doesn't actually say that right?

It sure does.

I laughed my ass off.

trains are killing the love game man! :{

that train is the most disgusting villain in anime history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom