• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's true that Cowboy Bebop really only has a handful of truly overarching story relevant episodes, most of the other episodes were more than just strings of random nonsense, hey wouldn't this look cool, and breast, butt, and voyeur gags all thrown together like monkeys flinging shit at a wall.

pretty sure it was more than a string of random nonsense. they're alien hunters, they meet a cat, he makes their warp drive go haywire, they arrive at a random planet, they go alien hunting. it's bare-bones, but that doesn't make it any more "filler" than something you see in Cowboy Bebop that's entirely unrelated to just about anything except it has the main characters. hell, this actually had some story elements being established.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Didn't really enjoy it and I thought I would from the low brow previews, just didn't feel connected at all.

Mit-

What's the story with this as far as languages? I heard it debuted worldwide on Adult Swim? Did it also debut on some Japanese channel already?

I didn't catch it tonight but I'm torn on what language to choose. I typically watch subs but like many I watched all the old Adult Swim anime like Cowboy Bebop in English.

What's the story with this as far as languages? I heard it debuted worldwide on Adult Swim? Did it also debut on some Japanese channel already?

I didn't catch it tonight but I'm torn on what language to choose. I typically watch subs but like many I watched all the old Adult Swim anime like Cowboy Bebop in English.

the show airs first on Adult Swim, before Japan.

Am I the only one who adores QT's voice? Adorable and rather unique.. I like Meow's voice as well.

Nah, you're not alone. I love them both and liked them as characters right away.

The beginning was... straight guys like tits and ass. News at ten. Thanks for reminding me. Anyway, I totally loved the show and can't wait for more. Ended far too quickly.

The animation was a little weird. Some of the rotoscoping really stuck out to me (perhaps purposely?) and I felt like a few scenes were a bit blurry like it was an older digital show. I loved the trippy colors and scenes. More please!

obin_gam

Major dissapointmet. Too bad :(

Also, the robots voice was fucking atrocious. Gave me a headache like no other. Dont think I can watch anymore episodes because of that horrible misuse of autotune.

Evilisk

I thought this episode was a lot of fun. I was laughing quite a bit, and I don't really laugh at many shows which is good. The dub was pretty neat, QT's auto tune was a bit grating at first but I got used to it pretty quickly and Meow's voice just felt right. Space Dandy's voice is okay, it definitely has the same level of haminess that I'd expect from the character but I was also kind of expecting a bit more than that too.

Have to agree with the sentiments that the first half dragged quite a bit. Not a great way to start a show to be really honest. Second half was a lot of fun but it sped by so quickly and it was hard to enjoy the animation.

I'm not really sure if I like this show yet

Conan-san

The misuse of the term "filler" is the worst.

We do need a word for something that does not nessasaryly continue the story though.
Though I get the suspicion that this will play it Excel Saga like at most as far as episode to episode continuity is concerned,

dan2026

Sounds like the dub isn't as good as the original. As expected really.

Did they also dub the opening and ending songs, or just sub them?

Wow, did this thread sour on Space Dandy, but that is the hype la hype for you.

I'd say that reception overall is somewhere between positive and cautiously optimistic but the content of the first half overshadowed a bit of the awesome that was its second. Hard to say what the direction of the show from this point on will be with such a polarized first episode.

Still the best thing on Toonami at the moment.

Ratrat

Did not like. Next episode looks a bit more promising.

The va for the 3 main characters is kind of atrocious for both dubs. The Japanese one more so.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'd say that reception overall is somewhere between positive and cautiously optimistic but the content of the first half overshadowed a bit of the awesome that was its second. Hard to say what the direction of the show from this point on will be with such a polarized first episode.

Still the best thing on Toonami at the moment.

A fair point, I am just noting that already this feels like the Kill la Kill hype all over again.

DiscoJon

Banned
I liked it, don't know what some of you were expecting. It's not Cowboy Bebop, so just relax and go with the flow.

Is Space Dandy going to be the next Pacific Rim in terms of GAF-HYPE Backlash?

Gartooth

Its definitely no Cowboy Bebop, but I really enjoyed it regardless. A lot of style, action, and humor gave this show a really fun identity. The Boobies gags got a little grating so hopefully that won't be 50% of future episodes, but I think it made for a funny look at what kind of people Dandy and Meow are. Definitely staying with this on Toonami.

jett

D-Member
That was pretty funny, enjoyed it! I wonder if the three of them dying at the end of every episode will be a thing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It was alright.

I don't really like the look. It's very garish, too slick, and lacking in cohesion. Occasionally the mixing of styles results in gold though, like the slide ride at the end of the episode.

This 'Boobies' sequence reminded me of Faye's introductory episode in Cowboy Bebop, but a lot less interesting. There's nothing grounding this show. I saw a few comparisons to Kill la Kill when I was scanning over impressions earlier, but that show's first episode established the stakes of an outlandish cartoony universe a lot better than this one. There wasn't any reason to care about Dandy's adventures here.

The villain's ship caught me off guard. Pretty funny. I was spoiled about the ending, but I didn't expect that to be as funny as it ended up being either. But for the most part, the writing is pretty boring. Rather than being unfunny, it just...doesn't have many jokes.

OP and especially ED are terrific.

Well I liked it. I didn't watch the leak or whatever so I didn't know what to expect. The voices are okay (dubs are easier to watch IMO) and I loved the action sequence. The music was phenomenal. Will be continuing.

RPGCrazied

Wasn't bad. I actually laughed at some of the jokes. And the dub isn't half bad either! I'll stick around for a few episodes see if it stays good or starts to suck.

Totakeke

Dub version desperately needs a proper OP and ED, without it, the show really seemed cheap and rushed. The actual OP and ED is so good.

Otherwise the first episode was kinda meh except for the trippy sequence, but never had any risk of being dropped anyway. :p

kirblar

I really liked this. Watched the Sub, though. The show's obviously not taking itself seriously, and I loved the ending.

Mazre

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy reimagined as an anime? Yeah that'll work for me. Enjoyed the first episode a lot, will definitely stick around. Particularly liked the technological dysfunction of the ship/QT and sense of scale on the planet bit.

Jarmel

Banned
This 'Boobies' sequence reminded me of Faye's introductory episode in Cowboy Bebop, but a lot less interesting. There's nothing grounding this show. I saw a few comparisons to Kill la Kill when I was scanning over impressions earlier, but that show's first episode established the stakes of an outlandish cartoony universe a lot better than this one. There wasn't any reason to care about Dandy's adventures here.

Kill La Kill at its core is a very serious story, this isn't.

Cwarrior

Space dandy ep 1 (dub)

First half was dog shit, old tired cliche unimaginative jokes that had me mind boggled at how anyone could write this and think this passes as comedy, very boring first half.

Second half was a lot better, the off the wall alien chase scene with superb animation was really entertaining to watch and that ending was interesting.

+ Dub > japanese va, the voice for the cat,robot and especially the narrator are better then there japanese counter part.

Edit oh yeah by the kill la kill sucks through even if it does sort have a story it's really a shallow and poorly written one.

It was alright.

I don't really like the look. It's very garish, too slick, and lacking in cohesion. Occasionally the mixing of styles results in gold though, like the slide ride at the end of the episode.

The villain's ship caught me off guard. Pretty funny. I was spoiled about the ending, but I didn't expect that to be as funny as it ended up being either. But for the most part, the writing is pretty boring. Rather than being unfunny, it just...doesn't have many jokes.

Well, the first episode should be the only one written by Watanabe himself, so perhaps future episodes will have writing that's more interesting to you. (Though perhaps not in the dub script, not convinced about that one.)

The lack of cohesion is deliberate though, since Watanabe is giving the director of each individual episode (and the animators and so forth) freedom to determine their own visual look. There's a different art director each episode, even. Conceptually I think the best point of reference is Panty and Stocking - a show which just gets a bunch of different people from the anime industry together and lets them do whatever they feel like.

dan2026

Kill La Kill at its core is a very serious story, this isn't.

I can see what you mean about Kill la Kill's story, (dead dad, revenge etc)
I just having a hard time quantifying 'Kill la Kill' and 'serious' in the same sentence.

Its just too damn ridiculous, kinda like Space Dandy.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Kill la Kill is a serious story told in a goofy way.
The lack of cohesion is deliberate though, since Watanabe is giving the director of each individual episode (and the animators and so forth) freedom to determine their own visual look. There's a different art director each episode, even. Conceptually I think the best point of reference is Panty and Stocking - a show which just gets a bunch of different people from the anime industry together and lets them do whatever they feel like.
I got the same impression from this episode that I got from a lot of Panty & Stocking. Some cool visual ideas, but a prevailing sense of 'who cares?' The bareness of the plot and character dynamics is probably by design and could lead to some glorious episodes with the right staff, but I have a feeling a lot of the show will be aimless nonsense.
We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom