• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I can see what you mean about Kill la Kill's story, (dead dad, revenge etc)
I just having a hard time quantifying 'Kill la Kill' and 'serious' in the same sentence.

Its just too damn ridiculous, kinda like Space Dandy.

There's a lot of comedic fluff around Kill La Kill and even how they tell the story at times but the show definitely has a serious edge to it.

Kusagari

I can see what you mean about Kill la Kill's story, (dead dad, revenge etc)
I just having a hard time quantifying 'Kill la Kill' and 'serious' in the same sentence.

Its just too damn ridiculous, kinda like Space Dandy.

I think the bigger thing is that Kill la Kill does focus quite a bit on its story and does have some sort of tension to it, even if the show itself is ridiculous.

Judging off the first ep, I'd be surprised if Space Dandy ever has any real semblance of a story in it.

Just sat down to watch the subbed version and I have to say I enjoyed the dub more, both are good but I feel like the dub voices match the shows style a bit better. People who say the dub is awful truly are just haters and can't appreciate good dubs.

Evilisk

There's a lot of comedic fluff around Kill La Kill and even how they tell the story at times but the show definitely has a serious edge to it.

Yeah I mean just look at the first episode

It starts off with a student breaking the rules, getting the tar beaten out of him and then being left for dead by the school afterwards. It's over the top but there's definitely a somewhat dark and serious undertone, even without pointing out the
barely addressed
revenge plot

Totakeke

Space Dandy will have a main story somewhere within those 26 episodes and the ending will be amazing.

mark my words

Well it's definitely setting up something with the villains there.

zonezeus

I watched this without any expectations and I loved what I saw. Great animation, great soundtrack, solid humour - everything I need.

Space Dandy will have a main story somewhere within those 26 episodes and the ending will be amazing.

mark my words

Well it's definitely setting up something with the villains there.

I'm with you on this, I can feel it.

Ath

I liked the first episode quite a bit. Lots of moments in the second half of the episode got me chuckling. Even Wakanim's improved a little bit since my awful first impressions of the site in October, so I think I can put up with streaming the rest of Space Dandy on it, though the video quality wasn't the best.

Yawnier

Banned
I watch 95% of my Anime shows and movies with subs but I thought that the dub in this first episode was pretty good myself *shrug*, looks like I'm not alone here.

LayLa

1st half not v good, 2nd half much better.
shame that i had to use Wakanim's poor service, the subs were out of time with the audio :/

Mit-

So if Adult Swim airs this first, when does it air in Japan?

And if there is anyone who enjoyed the sub more, I'd be interested in why.

Damn, so much hate.

Like Bebop and Champloo, the show will get real serious once they start doing the main story arc episodes. Like the other two shows, they have the wackiest, random episode previously, then shift to a dark and serious tone the next episode, sometimes within the same episode.

The first episode doesn't indicate the whole series will be like this (though a large portion will probably be similar). If anything, the first episode just introduced the characters and is non canon :p
the ending part anyway

Damn, so much hate.

Like Bebop and Champloo, the show will get real serious once they start doing the main story arc episodes. Like the other two shows, they have the wackiest, random episode previously, then shift to a dark and serious tone the next episode, sometimes within the same episode.

The first episode doesn't indicate the whole series will be like this (though a large portion will probably be similar). If anything, the first episode just introduced the characters and is non canon :p
the ending part anyway

Watanabe has said that this show is going to be 90% comedy and maybe 10% serious.

Firemind

But who will accompany Space Dandy? The reason why Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo worked as episodic shows is because of the fantastic chemistry of the protagonists. Not just when they're together, but also their individual story arcs are amazingly well-written and give superb depth to their characters while explaining their motives of staying in the (misfit) group.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I must be the only person who LIKES QT's auto-tuned voice. I thought t sounded robotic and funny,

I thought it was the best part of the show honestly. Which says what I think about the first episode overall.

Evidently the Japanese version doesn't use autotune which makes the character and the show in general sound even less interesting.

7Th

But who will accompany Space Dandy? The reason why Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo worked as episodic shows is because of the fantastic chemistry of the protagonists. Not just when they're together, but also their individual story arcs are amazingly well-written and give superb depth to their characters while explaining their motives of staying in the (misfit) group.

Dandy, QT and Meow are the entire team. I was gonna be snarky and say something like "did you miss the OP sequence?" but then I remembered Funimation's dub is so shit they cut it.

dan2026

Haha I liked it even more on my 2nd viewing.

Someone must have had a great time designing all the creatures. And the part where Dandy spins his gun and then drops it is probably my favorite bit.

Also it seems obvious to me that Honey and Scarlet (the smartly dressed lady from the preview) are going to be reoccurring characters. Considering they are in the Opening and Ending and everything.

Wow at the dub hating snobs in this thread. Sheesh.

Anyway I have to agree with a lot of the others, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so silly and over the top wacky. The visuals and music are amazing though. Will watch for that.

dan2026

Wow at the dub hating snobs in this thread. Sheesh.

While I personally have no use for dubbed anything.
I can tell the quality of anime dubbing has improved dramatically over the years and whatever gets good anime in the hands of more people is fine by me.

Terminator-Thumbs-Up-as-he-Melts_zps87d20094.gif

Anime saved

The first half was a bit weak, but the second half more than made up for it with those wild
colossus
designs for the aliens. I like the two characters accompanying Dandy too. It's real refreshing to see some real non human characters instead of the token humanoid designs that flood anime (I'm an alien abomination, but I look just like a highschool girl!). The music was trippy and the animation was Bahi JD on motherfucking steroids. I love that
Terminator
reference towards the end too haha. I watched the sub since Adult Swim doesn't support Time Warner and it was still plenty enjoyable. Space Dandy must look amazeballs in actual 1080p as opposed to Funi's barely SD stream. Hopefully they continue to go full throttle on the weird alien designs. The
colossi
were truly alien in every sense of the word.

Space Dandy was exactly what I expected it to be. A goofy show that doesn't take itself serious. Works for me. A very good dub is also pretty good.

I liked it. It wasn't Bebop or Champloo, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Very good dub, too. I thought the autotune for QT fit the character very well.

Bio-Frost

Great dub and animation. Not getting the hate for the first 10 min.most of you guys act like seeing a boob is the most horrid thing in the world. Watched with my fiancee and we both thought it was hilarious. Glad the tone is not like bebop or samurai, its nice to have something not serious.

Amikami

Banned
Great dub and animation. Not getting the hate for the first 10 min.most of you guys act like seeing a boob is the most horrid thing in the world. Watched with my fiancee and we both thought it was hilarious. Glad the tone is not like bebop or samurai, its nice to have something not serious.

Not sure if anyone is acting like boobs are horrible. The jokes just fell flat for a lot of people and then it kept going for a full 15-20 minutes of the show and became annoying. Nothing wrong if you liked it and nothing wrong that many did not.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Dandy, QT and Meow are the entire team. I was gonna be snarky and say something like "did you miss the OP sequence?" but then I remembered Funimation's dub is so shit they cut it.

wtf? why didn't we get that OP? for fucks sake funimation, ugh!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so going by the OP the blonde girl that appeared in the first episode and the one in the preview of the 2nd episode will be part of the crew?

TheRancor

The animation was a little weird. Some of the rotoscoping really stuck out to me (perhaps purposely?)
There wasn't any rotoscoping involved in the first episode at all. These are talented animators and designers being given a lot of freedom which result in what you see.

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419283702192291840

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419905990700826624

https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/419908454485327872

https://twitter.com/SushioHiroyuki/status/419912334564274177

Although on a related note, the movements of the singer in this seperate music video for the OP song are rotoscoped but stylized and enhanced with animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3UdjC4o_Ds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom