• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lot of you are bonkers. Dub Dandy was great, if not completely fitting character-wise.

Only voice I'm the fence about is Meow, but even that wasn't anywhere near "bad".

Narrator is based though.

7Th

Dub apologists getting blown the fuck out:

dubsux.png

I enjoyed the first ep..but I expected more from the dude who created Bebop and Champloo.

Did you want him to make the same exact shows that he's done before?

Watanabe is most likely trying something different with Dandy. Only time will tell if it's a success.

Dub apologists getting blown the fuck out:

dubsux.png

Instead of posting silly Twitter pics, tell us what was changed in the dub from the sub.

You might be taken seriously then.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn! I forgot to record this before I went out last night. Gotta see if it airs again tonight.

Herla

Well animated weird looking shit, the anime.
I went in blind, had no idea what to expect...and I still have no idea. What is that. Why is that happening. Why did he drop the gun.

I think I love it?

He didn't say that. He said that he expected more and I agree. The writing and story were shit. I had no reason at all to care about Dandy. Meanwhile I liked Spike and Mugen and crew.from the first time they open their mouths.

What exactly were you two expecting?

The promos and trailers gave you all the information you needed to know what the show was going to be about and what to expect.

Not sure what was shit about the writing or the story. Mind going in detail for me?

"Silly Twitter pics"...Bahi JD is one of the animators on the show.

[citation needed]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Whatever. Give an example of something that was changed and why it's important.

Jex

I'm sure people will do comparisons later on, but you can be sure Bahi won't. He has a habit of having to delete his tweets for posting things that his employers would rather he didn't. I imagine someone, perhaps at BONES, wasn't pleased that he waded into the debate.

7Th

Bahi said they're changes that feel minor but will become important later on in the story; killing the ED was probably one of these. The ending of the episode may be tied to the original ED which talks about...
parallel universes.

Even if the sub is "better" I'm going to be sticking with the dub because I'm getting to the point where I'm sick of reading while trying to watch a TV show. Did that with Attack on Titan, may never do it again.

Gazoinks

I've watched both now. They changed stuff, obviously, but it's more along the lines of rephrasing. You know, stuff you have to do. I honestly can't imagine any of the changes having a significant impact on the characters unless I completely missed something.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Bahi said they're changes that feel minor but will become important later on in the story; killing the ED was probably one of these. The ending of the episode may be tied to the original ED which talks about...
parallel universes.

I picked up on that just based on what was in the episode.

See?

So I'm guessing that the warp malfunction and the cosmic string tugging led to some kind of quantum split with Dandy and crew, so we get to see multiple Dandy lives or some such thing.

aka that version of Dandy and crew totally died, and we're going to see another version next week?

like that one episode of TNG with Worf and the different quantum realities

Read the last few pages. The trailers were fine. I didn't expect boob and butt jokes to be extended to 15 minutes though. I also expected a hint of cohesion.

I watched the entire episode and the boob and butt jokes didn't even take up more than five minutes of screen time.
And what exactly wasn't cohesive about something as simple as the plot of this show? It's an obvious genre parody that likes to break the fourth wall.

Let's say that 2012 and 2013 were the best years for anime since 2002-2004. Ive seen a lot of anime in the past two years and Space Dandy's first episode was the worst one I've seen in that time period.

That's your opinion, so I won't question you that.

P.S. Have you seen Sword Art Online by any chance?

I was going to ask where were his tweets, but Jexhus answered my question.

There's probably a lot more to these changes that we don't know about yet.

Levyne

Banned
At least we'll be able to see the degree of changes made as the show goes on and judge for ourselves whether it's significant or not.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that the supposed changes were minor rephrasing of lines that wouldn't have made sense/would have been lost in translation in the English language.

Levyne

Banned
why what?

you have no idea what the fuck he's talking about

you're just assuming something got screwed up in translation because reasons

Or because an animator might know? I just hope it's minor stuff like turns of phase and word play that wouldn't catch in english.

Conan-san

I wonder whose call it was to give QT the Glados voice. No complaints, it works but damn if it doesn't remind me of FMA and the metal bowl thing they did for that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Let's say that 2012 and 2013 were the best years for anime since 2002-2004. Ive seen a lot of anime in the past two years and Space Dandy's first episode was the worst one I've seen in that time period.
Pfft, more like 2004-2007 was the best recent period for anime. 2002 and 2003 were both average.
That's your opinion, so I won't question you that.

P.S. Have you seen Sword Art Online by any chance?
Sword Art Online is shit. Don't watch it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
2006-2007 were fucking awful as the moe boom started. At least 2002-2003 had things like RahXephon, Wolf's Rain;etc.
2007 had Oh Edo Rocket! Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Kaiji, Gurren Lagann and other smaller but decent shows like lovely complex, moribito, emma, nodame and moyashimon. Which I'd certainly take over most of the crap in 2002-2003 any-day. And what do you mean by "moe boom?" give me some examples of shows in that period that are representative of that? apart from I guess the obvious contenders like Lucky Star and Clannad? :p but there was so much good stuff in that year that outweighs any "moe" crap that came out.

2006-2007 were fucking awful as the moe boom started. At least 2002-2003 had things like RahXephon, Wolf's Rain;etc. My actual timeline is 2000-2004. Early 2000's were fine. Mid to late 2000's were fuck awful. I didn't say 2002-2004 were the "best recent" period of anime.

I hate to do list wars, but seriously, 2007 was and will likely forever remain the best year for anime in terms of quantity and quality combined. It had stuff like

Baccano
Big Windup
Dennou Coil
Emma: A Victorian Romance S2
Gurren Lagann
Kaiji
Lovely Complex
Minami-ke
Mononoke
Moribito
Moyashimon
Nodame Cantabile
Oh! Edo Rocket
Shigurui
Skull Man
Toward the Terra

Seriously.

It feels like the Spaceman Spiff tv show I always wanted! I wasn't completely sold until Dandy spun his gun around and threw it away without noticing. Of course Dandy is playing second fiddle to the true star of the show, QT. The most endearing robot since Wall-E. I hope the show has a Inspector Gadget feel where Dandy is the idiot but gets all the credit as QT and Meow fixed the situation. The short scenes with the Empire chasing him already suggest in that universe everyone mistakes Dandy's idiocy with brilliance.

I'm not a fan of breaking the forth wall but thankfully they got away from that after the first few minutes. I didn't really like the boobies stuff either but I was relived when that took over and QT stopped commenting on the narration

Just got done watching the JP version. Dub > Sub. The changes to the OP and ED are ridiculous however.

On the actual content of the episode:

Dandy is
ridiculously bad at his job. Can't wait to see how he kills everyone again in episode 2.

Mature

why what?

you have no idea what the fuck he's talking about

you're just assuming something got screwed up in translation because reasons
An animator who worked on the show is saying that the English dub changes important story elements that later become misleading. What am I assuming..?

An animator who worked on the show is saying that the English dub changes important story elements that later become misleading. What am I assuming..?

I would say wait until we see how it's handled later. We don't really know if Funimation added dialogue to other episodes for clarification, either.

redhood56

Banned
I watched it last night and loved it! I will continue following the dub though,with all the possible translation issues aside.

Conan-san

2007 had Oh Edo Rocket! Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Kaiji, Gurren Lagann and other smaller but decent shows like lovely complex, moribito, emma, nodame and moyashimon. Which I'd certainly take over most of the crap in 2002-2003 any-day. And what do you mean by "moe boom?" give me some examples of shows in that period that are representative of that? apart from I guess the obvious contenders like Lucky Star and Clannad? :p but there was so much good stuff in that year that outweighs any "moe" crap that came out.

2003 had Astroboy: Tetsuwan Atom and therefore is excused from all criticism I could levy on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom