• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Eh, hypernova? Those can be so massive they leave no remnant (neutron star or black hole), right? I think i read that somewhere...

And... near future? People mean the light will be arriving soon? It seems Eta Carinae is some 7.5k ly away, which means it blew up ages ago. I know, i know, nitpicking.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with space and how we view it.

Everything we see or will see has already happened. A long, long time ago. But fuck it, whatever. It's still awesome.

You can take it all poetic and all. Looking up to space is like time travelling. You got huge distances that the mind can't handle. You have size and scale that mind can't handle. You see things for which our current knowledge just can't fully explain. Wrap that shit up with the fact that everything you can ever see has already happened.

You don't need gods to be humbled. Just look up and think.

FACE

Banned

130253511823273636v3ozj.jpg

Huge ancient river found on Mars (ESA)

Reull_Vallis_in_context_node_full_image.jpg

Reull_Vallis_large.jpg

ESA’s Mars Express imaged the striking upper part of the Reull Vallis region of Mars with its high-resolution stereo camera last year.

Reull Vallis, the river-like structure in these images, is believed to have formed when running water flowed in the distant martian past, cutting a steep-sided channel through the Promethei Terra Highlands before running on towards the floor of the vast Hellas basin.

This sinuous structure, which stretches for almost 1500 km across the martian landscape, is flanked by numerous tributaries, one of which can be clearly seen cutting in to the main valley towards the upper (north) side.

Perspective_view_of_Reull_Vallis_large.jpg

The new Mars Express images show a region of Reull Vallis at a point where the channel is almost 7 km wide and 300 m deep.

The morphology of Reull Vallis suggests it has experienced a diverse and complex history, with analogies seen in glacial activity on Earth. These analogies are giving planetary geologists tantalising glimpses of a past on the Red Planet not too dissimilar to events on our own world today.

Socreges

Banned
Threatening to wipe an entire nation from existence is one thing. But sending a monkey perilously into space? How do these people love with themselves

the monkey Iran shot into space. poor little guy

I know he came back alive, but it just makes me feel awful seeing him looking so unhappy, and realizing he has no fucking idea what's happening to him. :(

It also doesn't help that his face looks a little like my dog's face, and it pains me to see him upset by anything, and I imagine him being strapped down like that and terrified.

That picture elicits so many feels.

How could they fuck up on the coverup so bad? Did nobody notice the monkey's mole before they shot it into space? This is Iran we're talking about here... those guys had to know there was a chance they'd fail. That's pretty clearly a different monkey than the one they showed in the press conference.

RiZ III

Being shot into space isn't nearly as bad as the medical tests performed on these little guys :/ I'd rather be shot into space than be infected with the Ebola virus for example.

UrbanRats

Shooting him into space... well, assuming we're talking suborbital, fine, ok. But strapping him down like that? Come on, Iran.

What do you mean? I would think strapping him down is better for his safety, as an animal is not rational and could go fucking insane, being shot into space, you don't want a crazy monkey in the cockpit.
Plus i guess it made whatever measurement they were going for easier/possible.

Unless it was a joke post, in which case nevermind.

CTLance

Shooting him into space... well, assuming we're talking suborbital, fine, ok. But strapping him down like that? Come on, Iran.
It's a necessity.

Just look at the US space monkeys, Able for example. She was the first US monkey ever to return from space alive - and she died from an incompatibility with medicine when they operated on her within a few weeks after she landed. Her copilot however died of old age.

derFeef

Being shot into space isn't nearly as bad as the medical tests performed on these little guys :/ I'd rather be shot into space than be infected with the Ebola virus for example.

You do actually know what happens, that monkey don't - it must have been a horrifying experience and it would not surprise me if he would have died of physical and psychic stress :(

Quazar

LINK

Using publicly available data from NASA’s Kepler space telescope, astronomers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) estimate that six percent of red dwarf stars in the galaxy have Earth-size planets in the "habitable zone," the range of distances from a star where the surface temperature of an orbiting planet might be suitable for liquid water.

The majority of the sun's closest stellar neighbors are red dwarfs. Researchers now believe that an Earth-size planet with a moderate temperature may be just 13 light-years away.

"We don't know if life could exist on a planet orbiting a red dwarf, but the findings pique my curiosity and leave me wondering if the cosmic cradles of life are more diverse than we humans have imagined," said Natalie Batalha, Kepler mission scientist, NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

Pretty cool. Snagged off of the Kepler facebook page

LINK

Using publicly available data from NASA’s Kepler space telescope, astronomers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) estimate that six percent of red dwarf stars in the galaxy have Earth-size planets in the "habitable zone," the range of distances from a star where the surface temperature of an orbiting planet might be suitable for liquid water.

The majority of the sun's closest stellar neighbors are red dwarfs. Researchers now believe that an Earth-size planet with a moderate temperature may be just 13 light-years away.

"We don't know if life could exist on a planet orbiting a red dwarf, but the findings pique my curiosity and leave me wondering if the cosmic cradles of life are more diverse than we humans have imagined," said Natalie Batalha, Kepler mission scientist, NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

Pretty cool. Snagged off of the Kepler facebook page

Dammit, just came to post this.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/06/earth-like-planets-are-ri_n_2632324.html

Top Bottom