• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Calantus

I just find it so amazing that we can't even view what's currently going on in the universe, only past events. Kind of depressing to be honest.

Neo C.

The Wise Telescope:
http://nasascience.nasa.gov/missions/wise

Look at these infrared pics:

image-60718-galleryV9-nvqw.jpg

image-60711-galleryV9-dxjn.jpg

image-60716-galleryV9-hisj.jpg

image-60709-galleryV9-gjwp.jpg

image-60710-galleryV9-vupm.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jesus those photos of Andromeda are awe inspiring.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sonic boom effect on the sky (watch 720P version): VIDEO

I thought it was cool as hell so I'm posting it here. Amazing pics from Wise Telescope btw.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does anyone know where I could acquire legally images from Mars and of the earth from space? I would love to use them for an album cover as I feel far too few people get to see them - but I haven't found yet a commercial way to get them. My other option is ofcourse to fake with Sahara etc., but I'd love the real deal.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Chittagong said:
Does anyone know where I could acquire legally images from Mars and of the earth from space? I would love to use them for an album cover as I feel far too few people get to see them - but I haven't found yet a commercial way to get them. My other option is ofcourse to fake with Sahara etc., but I'd love the real deal.

Most images from NASA itself should basically be public domain, I believe.

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/formedia/features/MP_Photo_Guidelines.html

And: NASA image galleries

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Chittagong said:

From NASA Wesbite

NASA still images, audio files and video generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.
This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA sponsored.

If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services. If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. Any questions regarding application of any NASA image or emblem should be directed to:

Photo Department
NASA Headquarters
300 E St. SW
Washington, DC 20546
Tel: (202)358-1900
Fax: (202)358-4333

Chittagong

Gold Member
Verdre said:
Most images from NASA itself should basically be public domain, I believe.

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/formedia/features/MP_Photo_Guidelines.html

And: NASA image galleries

Wow, thanks guys. That's pretty amazing - those images should indeed be shared. I will use them with good taste, to inspire people to think of what is possible. The album comes out in May, I will post the cover here once ready.

Just one more quick question - is Ares the first rocket capable of getting to Mars?

Came across this a few minutes ago... very cool.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/02/23/bang-a-boom-a-boomerang/

eso_fornaxdwarf.jpg

I’ve seen pictures of this little guy before. It’s a small galaxy, maybe 20,000 light years across (the Milky Way is 5 times that size), and part of the Fornax cluster, a small but rich cluster of galaxies about 60 million light years away. The picture here was taken with the monster 8.2 meter Very Large Telescope in Chile, and uses filters that give a somewhat true-color appearance, though it also accentuates warm hydrogen (the pinkish glow).

Even though I’ve looked at it before, I don’t think I really saw it, because the boomerang shape is obvious, and to anyone familiar with galaxy dynamics the reason behind it is obvious too. Maybe it’ll help to know that this diminutive galaxy is screaming through the Fornax cluster at 600 kilometers per second, a ridiculously high speed.

See it now? NGC 1427A looks like it’s got a swept-back shape because it’s being swept back. In between galaxies there is an ethereally-thin fog of gas, but there’s enough there to have an effect on a passing galaxy. The boomerang shape of the galaxy is because that side is facing into the wind, so to speak, and being compressed. The pink curve in the image is due to rigorous star-formation going on there, where the gas clouds are collapsing from the pressure and birthing stars at a prodigious rate.

Looking at this image, it’s so obvious what’s going on I’m surprised I didn’t notice it before. I guess sometimes you miss stuff right under your nose if you’re not paying attention. If you consider 60 mega-light-years under your nose.

I wonder where it's heading towards.

derFeef

I need to dig out some pics I did of Saturn, Jupiter and the Moon. My telescope is also collecting some dust, time to go out and look into the sky again.

I can't believe how naive I am... I used to think all these hubble images were true color, and just the other day I found out some guy at Nasa Photoshops them, they come in black and white! :lol

Still amazing shots nonetheless, I'd just love to see them in their true beauty, I would imagine they are even more spectacular than we know.

favorite thread on gaf

chase

innervision961 said:
I can't believe how naive I am... I used to think all these hubble images were true color, and just the other day I found out some guy at Nasa Photoshops them, they come in black and white! :lol

Still amazing shots nonetheless, I'd just love to see them in their true beauty, I would imagine they are even more spectacular than we know.

favorite thread on gaf

I remember when I found this out. Disappointment total.

zalemale

Just in case you're interested, there are some really fascinating / stimulating videos of discussions that took place at the Quantum to Cosmos festival last October up online to view at:

http://www.q2cfestival.com/program

Not all are space related, but there are a bunch that are. Most of them are around an hour long and have some really great experts speaking.

Orgun

Orgun said:
Wonders of the Solar System with Professor Brian Cox on BBC Two this Sunday 2100 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8551157.stm

Sounds like it could be an interesting show, looking forward to it.

Anyone watch the show? I just caught up with it on iPlayer and found it really enjoyable. The presenter was pretty good (he's no Carl Sagan though heh) but the northern way he said "Us" kept bugging me :D

Shame we won't be alive for the 7 minute Eclipse or the year when there will be 5 Eclipses in one year :(

The view of the Northern Lights from orbit was fascinating and oddly creepy :) Looked like the earth had an engine or a gas hob on it heh

lookign forward to the next episode.

Teknoman

Forget about the sensationalist headline:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2889372/Earth-under-attack-from-Death-Star.html

AN invisible star may be circling the Sun and causing deadly comets to bombard the Earth, scientists said yesterday.

The brown dwarf - up to five times the size of Jupiter - could be to blame for mass extinctions that occur here every 26 million years.

The star - nicknamed Nemesis by Nasa scientists - would be invisible as it only emits infrared light and is incredibly distant.

Nemesis is believed to orbit our solar system at 25,000 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun.

As it spins through the galaxy, its gravitational pull drags icy bodies out of the Oort Cloud - a vast sphere of rock and dust twice as far away as Nemesis.

These "snowballs" are thrown towards Earth as comets, causing devastation similar to the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Granted its nothing that'll actually glide by our own planet, but does this mean those Planet X believers were half right?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So utterly fascinating. Seeing this makes me wonder how anyone couldn't believe there's other intelligent life out there, somewhere.

BTW, what's going on with black holes? Are they still considered simply theoretical or has science pretty much proved these exist?

fallout

Darkmakaimura said:
BTW, what's going on with black holes? Are they still considered simply theoretical or has science pretty much proved these exist?
They've effectively been proven to exist. You can't actually see a black hole, but the effects of black holes have been observed many times over at this point.

it kind of makes me sad that we'll never get to see first hand what is in our own universe, let alone the thousands of other galaxies. so much we dont know, so much we've barely begun to understand.

CougRon

Teknoman said:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2889372/Earth-under-attack-from-Death-Star.html

Granted its nothing that'll actually glide by our own planet, but does this mean those Planet X believers were half right?
The idea of Nemesis being out in the far parts of the solar system is not new. i remember seeing virtually the same story occurring in tabloids 20-30 years ago.

A quick search of Wikipedia brought up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(star)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Teknoman said:

AN invisible star may be circling the Sun and causing deadly comets to bombard the Earth, scientists said yesterday.

Nemesis 'theories' have been around for a long time now, and thats all they are at the moment.

Darkmakaimura said:

They exist. We cant 'see' them for obvious reasons, but we can observe their effects, such as gravitational lensing. It's theorised that at the centre of nearly every, if not every, galaxy there is actually a supermassive blackhole too.

Vespasian

Neo Member
An excellent thread. Now that I finally have an activated account, I can applaud everyone for the fantastic image that have been posted, and hopefully contribute some of my own.

Orgun

Doh, forgot to watch yesterdays Wonder's of the Solar Sytem :(

Wonders of the Solar System episode 2 - Order out of chaos

Professor Brian Cox visits some of the most stunning locations on earth to describe how the laws of nature have carved natural wonders across the solar system.

Brian reveals how beauty and order in Earth's cosmic backyard was formed from nothing more than a chaotic cloud of gas. Chasing tornados in Oklahoma, he explains how the same physics that creates these spinning storms shaped the young solar system. Out of this celestial maelstrom emerged the jewel in the crown, Brian's second wonder - the magnficent rings of Saturn.

On an ice-choked lagoon in Iceland, he sees the nearest thing on Earth to Saturn's rings. Using the latest scientific imagery and breathtaking graphics, he explains how the intricate patterns round Saturn are shaped by the cluster of more than 60 moons surrounding the planet.

One of those moons makes a spectacular contribution to the rings and is the third wonder of the solar system. Brian describes the astonishing discovery of giant fountains of ice erupting from the surface of Enceladus, which soar thousands of kilometres into space.

---
An interesting article about the cancelled Lunar missions
Obama Nasa plans 'catastrophic' say Moon astronauts. Of course they will say that :)

Mar

I don't know how I missed this thread in the 4 years I've been here. But I'm here to stay now. It's taken me a good 3 days to go through it all...

Such awesome stuff.

Everyone should be following this guy on twitter by the way: http://twitter.com/Astro_Soichi

Get a heap of pictures every day from the space station. It's amazing sometimes how much some of them look like other planets like Mars and so on.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2dqvq5l.jpg

Virgin Galactic announced today that VSS Enterprise has completed her inaugural captive carry flight from Mojave Air and Spaceport.

This very first captive carry was a huge success and both the mothership and spaceship looked absolutely stunning against the blue back drop of the Mojave skies.

Commenting on the historic flight, Burt Rutan said: “This is a momentous day for the Scaled and Virgin Teams. The captive carry flight signifies the start of what we believe will be extremely exciting and successful spaceship flight test program.”

Sir Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Galactic added: “Seeing the finished spaceship in December was a major day for us but watching VSS Enterprise fly for the first time really brings home what beautiful, ground-breaking vehicles Burt and his team have developed for us. It comes as no surprise that the flight went so well; the Scaled team is uniquely qualified to bring this important and incredible dream to reality. Today was another major step along that road and a testament to US engineering and innovation.”

The VSS Enterprise test flight programme will continue though 2010 and 2011, progressing from captive carry to independent glide and then powered flight, prior to the start of commercial operations.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item/vss-enterprises-first-flight/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UowczynfKPk
also, the Space Shuttle's computer apparently only uses 1 MB of Ram.

http://www.popsci.com/node/31716

http://www.motherboard.tv/2010/3/23...of-ram-but-at-least-there-s-no-blue-screen--2

McNei1y

This is a poor post with no addition to this amazing thread but I just rewatched Apollo 13 in the longest time. We need more space travel/info ASAP. Such an amazing thing.

McNei1y said:
This is a poor post with no addition to this amazing thread but I just rewatched Apollo 13 in the longest time. We need more space travel/info ASAP. Such an amazing thing.
Apollo 13 comes out on Blu-ray on April 13!

pringles

Memphis Reigns said:
Was going to post this. It's spot fucking on. I love how random shit in the universe can perfectly resemble a variety of things (also see the God's Hand pic)
http://thehumansaredead.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hand-of-god-nebula.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
God caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Orgun

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/436530main_PIA12572_full.jpg

A Subtle Difference

Subtle color differences on Saturn's moon Mimas are apparent in this false-color view of Herschel Crater captured by NASA's Cassini spacecraft during its closest-ever flyby of that moon.

The image shows terrain-dependent color variations, particularly the contrast between the bluish materials in and around Herschel Crater and the greenish cast on older, more heavily cratered terrain elsewhere. The origin of the color differences is not yet understood, but may be caused by differences in the surface composition between the two terrains. False color images from Cassini's previous closest encounter, in 2005, also showed such variations.

The natural color of Mimas visible to the human eye may be a uniform gray or yellow color, but this mosaic has been contrast-enhanced and shows differences at other wavelengths of light.

During this flyby on Feb. 13, 2010, Cassini came within about 5,900 miles of Mimas and these images were obtained with Cassini's narrow-angle camera on that day at a distance of approximately 10,000 miles from Mimas. The images were re-projected into an orthographic map projection. A black and white image, taken in visible light with the wide-angle camera, is used to fill in parts of the mosaic.

Image Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute

So much detail, god damn I love high res space pictures :)

RankoSD

Millions of Stars in Omega Centauri

2i87wi1.jpg

Explanation: Featured in the sharp telescopic image, globular star cluster Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) is some 15,000 light-years away and 150 light-years in diameter. Packed with about 10 million stars much older than the Sun, Omega Cen is the largest of 200 or so known globular clusters that roam the halo of our Milky Way galaxy. Though most star clusters consist of stars with the same age and composition, the enigmatic Omega Cen exhibits the presence of different stellar populations with a spread of ages and chemical abundances. In fact, Omega Cen may be the remnant core of a small galaxy merging with the Milky Way.

Just imagine the possibility of other life in this picture...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
RankoSD said:
Explanation: Featured in the sharp telescopic image, globular star cluster Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) is some 15,000 light-years away and 150 light-years in diameter. Packed with about 10 million stars much older than the Sun, Omega Cen is the largest of 200 or so known globular clusters that roam the halo of our Milky Way galaxy. Though most star clusters consist of stars with the same age and composition, the enigmatic Omega Cen exhibits the presence of different stellar populations with a spread of ages and chemical abundances. In fact, Omega Cen may be the remnant core of a small galaxy merging with the Milky Way.

Just imagine the possibility of other life in this picture...

Probably not as great as the possibilities are in other galaxies, or in other solar systems at the edge of our galaxy. The stars of galactic cores aren't expected to have many planets (afaik) because there is so much intense gravity there, orbits can't be sustained. Also, if we're dealing with clusters of red giants you can pretty much forget about it. Many of them probably already ate planets in their habitable zones eons ago.

Top Bottom