• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The "Gamma Ray Galaxy": Million-Light-Year Wide Gas Plumes of a Supermassive Black Hole:

The radio galaxy Centaurus A, which is one of the brightest sources of radio waves in the sky, also radiates extremely high-energy gamma-rays, new observations from NASA's Fermi Gamma-Ray Telescope have found.

"This is something we've never seen before in gamma-rays," said Teddy Cheung, a Fermi team member at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C.

Scientists think these gamma-rays, the highest-energy form of light in the universe, began as remnant radiation from the Big Bang thought to be the beginning of our universe about 14 billion years ago. But this radiation has been amped up to higher energy levels by the energetic particles zooming around magnetic fields in huge lobes that extend from either side of the galaxy, researchers said. This ramp-up in energy of photons is thought to be a fairly common process in the universe, but is the first time it has been observed in this particular situation.

Active radio galaxy

Centaurus A, also known as NGC 5128, is the closest so-called radio galaxy to Earth, located about 12 million light-years away in the constellation Centaurus. (One light-year is the distance that light travels in one year, about 6 trillion miles, or 9 trillion kilometers.)

Centaurus A is also an active galaxy, which means that its central region that exhibits strong emission across many wavelengths of the light spectrum. Active galaxies are powered by an actively feeding black hole millions of times more massive than the sun.

In a radio galaxy, "the black hole somehow diverts some of the matter falling toward it into two oppositely directed jets that stream away from the center," explained Yasushi Fukazawa of Hiroshima University in Japan, and a member of the team that studied the gamma-ray emission.

These jets contain magnetized particles that move near the speed of light. Over the course of tens of millions of years, the jets expand out into two large lobes that straddle the central source of the galaxy and extend out into space about 1 million light-years. The radio waves from the lobes arise as high-speed electrons spiral through the lobes' tangled magnetic fields.

When Fermi turned its eye on Centaurus A during its first 10 months of data collection, it found quite a surprise: In addition to the radio waves known to emanate from the lobes, Fermi also detected gamma-rays radiating from the galaxy.

"Not only do we see the extended radio lobes, but their gamma-ray output is more than 10 times greater than their radio output," Cheung said.

How to get gamma-rays

The gamma-rays arise through a process that involves the spiraling magnetic fields of the radio lobes and other low-energy radiation that permeates the universe: Photons from the cosmic microwave background (the remnant radiation of the Big Bang), as well as infrared and visible light from stars and galaxies, can collide with the high-energy particles zooming through the lobes of Centaurus A.

"When one of these photons collides with a super-fast particle in the radio lobes, the photon receives such an energy boost, it becomes a gamma ray," said team member Lukasz Stawarz of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) in Japan.

The process that accelerates the photons up to gamma-rays is called inverse Compton scattering and is a common way of making cosmic gamma-rays.

The process had been known to produce X-rays in dozens of active galaxies, but Centaurus A is the first case where astronomers have solid evidence that that microwaves can be boosted up to gamma-ray energies. Cheung had theorized before Fermi launched (in June 2008) that the process would work and produce gamma-rays in this way for galaxies like Centaurus A.

The team is also looking for the gamma-ray emission from another active radio galaxy, Fornax A.

The discovery is detailed in the April 2 issue of the journal Science.

The giant elliptical galaxy NGC 5128, show here in visible light:, hosts the radio source known as Centaurus A:
centaurus-A-optical-100401-02.jpg

It takes the addition of radio data (orange) to fully appreciate the scale of Cen A's giant radio-emitting lobes, which stretch more than 1.4 million light-years. Gamma-rays from Fermi's Large Area Telescope (purple) and an image of the galaxy in visible light are also included in this composite:
centaurus-A-galaxy-100401-02.jpg

RankoSD

NGC 602 and Beyond

9ghppg.jpg

Explanation: Near the outskirts of the Small Magellanic Cloud, a satellite galaxy some 200 thousand light-years distant, lies 5 million year young star cluster NGC 602. Surrounded by natal gas and dust, NGC 602 is featured in this stunning Hubble image of the region. Fantastic ridges and swept back shapes strongly suggest that energetic radiation and shock waves from NGC 602's massive young stars have eroded the dusty material and triggered a progression of star formation moving away from the cluster's center. At the estimated distance of the Small Magellanic Cloud, the picture spans about 200 light-years, but a tantalizing assortment of background galaxies are also visible in the sharp Hubble view. The background galaxies are hundreds of millions of light-years or more beyond NGC 602.

yoopoo

Banned
Must listen - Mysteries of the Solar System from Astronomycast

Part 1 http://www.astronomycast.com/astron.../ep-174-mysteries-of-the-solar-system-part-1/
Part 2 http://www.astronomycast.com/astron.../ep-175-mysteries-of-the-solar-system-part-2/

Pioneer Anomaly
Uranus and Venus axial tilt
What is under the ice on Europa?
Methane on Mars
Where does Titan's atmosphere come from?
The temperature of the Sun's corona
The Kuiper Belt Cliff
Why are there long period comets?
Why does Enceladus have geysers?
The Hexagon on Saturn

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome, NASA finally greenlighted my image usage for a record cover. Once we have shot the artist photos and done the mash ups, I'll post it here. It'll be the definitive Space-gaf album.

Of course...clicked on this thread while listening to "Life Is A Dream" from Star Trek V (haters be damned, that's still the best version of Goldsmith's theme)

Nolan.

Orgun said:
429291main_131_690_apr10.jpg

Anyone know where I can find a higher resolution of this image? I've tried looking through the images on NASA's site but can't see it :(

Also, Wonders of the Solar System ended on such a perfect song :)

Carpenters - Calling Occupants with Interplanetary Craft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2-blWgVk-A

I still haven't seen the last episode yet but I saw the last 5 or so minutes and it makes you feel so much wonderment. I love how excited he is about being the subject too. When he mentions our existence being laid bare on our planet for all to see *flash shot of earth at night lit up by beams of light* that sent goosebumps through my body. The series has taught me so much without even noticing, before I knew next to nothing about space and now I at least know how atmospheres work etc. Also Jupiter scares me for some reason, it's not even solely because of the red spot alone. The fact that it's our protector as well as potential destroyer is chilling to think about. Also this might seem a silly question (to anyone that can answer) but could there be other elements out there that we don't currently have mapped on our periodic table.?

Orgun said:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1638.html

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/443719main_image_1638_946-710.jpg[img]

Looks like they're working on some kind of giant space laser :D[/QUOTE]
Finally! Money put in some good use. <[I]laughs sinisterly[/I]>

[QUOTE=Windu][URL="http://chamorrobible.org/images/photos/gpw-20061021-NASA-GPN-2000-001097-Earth-sunburst-clouds-ocean-robot-arm-STS-77-Space-Shuttle-Endeavour-May-1996-medium.jpg"][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/biljb.jpg[IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]
Fake!!! Where are the stars? [spoiler]joking ;p[/spoiler]

Amazing picture.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A top NASA official said U.S President Barack Obama will announce plans to continue development of a stripped-down version of the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle for use as a crew lifeboat on the International Space Station.

Obama, who is scheduled to deliver a space policy speech at NASA's Kennedy Space Station in Florida April 15, will also unveil plans to initiate development of a heavy-lift launch vehicle by 2015, NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver told reporters following remarks at the 26th National Space Symposium here April 13.

Orion – part of NASA's five-year-old Constellation program designed to replace the retiring space shuttle with new rockets and spacecraft optimized for the moon – was targeted for termination in Obama's 2011 budget request. Since then lawmakers from both parties have sharply criticized Obama's proposal to scrap Constellation in favor of investing in privately developed crew taxis capable of ferrying astronauts in low Earth orbit.

Garver said NASA's Orion contract with Denver-based Lockheed Martin Space Systems would be restructured to develop a variant of the space capsule that could be launched unmanned to station within the next couple of years to serve as a crew lifeboat. Garver said the plan would allow the agency to retain some of its multibillion-dollar investment in the program while reducing U.S. reliance on Russian Soyuz spacecraft currently used as an emergency crew escape capability on the space station.

"It allows you to keep the ability to go beyond low Earth orbit with humans," Garver said, adding "the investment we made in Constellation along those lines is something that will benefit our program as well as allows us to rely on the Russians for a shorter period of time."

Garver said NASA has no plans to continue development of Orion for exploration beyond low Earth orbit.

"We will ask them to focus Orion for the government purposes on our unique requirement of crew escape," she said, adding that Lockheed Martin would be welcome to use the Orion capsule to bid on the agency's $6 billion commercial crew program proposed in the president's 2011 budget.

"That would be a company decision on bidding for commercial crew technology," she said.

Garver said Obama also would announce a plan select a heavy-lift vehicle design by 2015, an element previously missing from the human spaceflight plan put forward in Obama's 2011 budget. That omission has drawn fire from lawmakers concerned that a heavy-lift development program is needed to maintain the nation's leadership in manned space exploration.

"We're going to have a date specific to make a decision about the heavy lift vehicle in 2015," she said, adding that the $3.1 billion Obama proposed to study advanced heavy lift propulsion capabilities over the next five years "is going to have us much further along down the path, and when we choose that vehicle we'll be able to have a running start."

Meanwhile, NASA will have five years to flesh out concepts for other technologies that could be developed to support human space exploration beyond low Earth orbit, including on-orbit propellant depots, inflatable habitats, and in space resource production.

"Things that allow you to size your architecture in a way that we'll be able to go beyond [low Earth orbit] farther, faster, with a heavy lift that truly makes sense for the program," she said. "And using more of the advanced technology that we've invested in the heavy lift program."
http://www.space.com/news/obama-spa....com+Headline+Feed)&utm_content=Google+Reader
sigh.

I would give anything to fly into space and see the Earth from above. Better yet, go beyond low orbit and do an EVA.

I think that's one of the greatest experiences a human could hope for, and I envy every astronaut that got the chance to do it. Seriously if they told me you could that, and afterwords we'd have to kill you and harvest your organs, I'd probably sign-on right away.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

The International Space Station is the largest object ever constructed by humans in space. The station perimeter now extends over roughly the area of a football field, although only a small fraction of this is composed of modules habitable by humans. The station is so large that it could not be launched all at once -- it is being built piecemeal with large sections added continually by flights of the Space Shuttle. To function, the ISS needs huge trusses, some over 15 meters long and with masses over 10,000 kilograms, to keep it rigid and to route electricity and liquid coolants. Pictured above, part of the immense space station was photographed out of a window by a member of the visiting Space Shuttle Discovery STS-131 crew. Visible in the foreground is Japan's Kibo research module, while a large truss is visible toward the left. On the far right, a crescent Earth slices through the blackness of space.

Why isn't spiral galaxy M66 symmetric? Usually density waves of gas, dust, and newly formed stars circle a spiral galaxy's center and create a nearly symmetric galaxy. The differences between M66's spiral arms and the apparent displacement of its nucleus are all likely caused by previous close interactions and the tidal gravitational pulls of nearby galaxy neighbors M65 and NGC 3628. Spiral galaxy M66, pictured above, spans about 100,000 light years, lies about 35 million light years distant, and is the largest galaxy in a group known as the Leo Triplet. Like many spiral galaxies, the long and intricate dust lanes of M66 are seen intertwined with the bright stars and nebulas that light up the spiral arms.

Dwarfed by space shuttle Discovery and with Earth's horizon and the blackness of space providing the backdrop for the scene, NASA astronauts Rick Mastracchio (right) and Clayton Anderson worked in Discovery's aft payload bay during the mission's third and final spacewalk. During the six-hour, 24-minute spacewalk, Mastracchio and Anderson hooked up fluid lines of the new 1,700-pound tank, retrieved some micrometeoroid shields from the Quest airlock's exterior, relocated a portable foot restraint and prepared cables on the Zenith 1 truss for a spare Space to Ground Ku-Band antenna, two chores required before space shuttle Atlantis' STS-132/ULF-4 mission in May.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
OK SPACE GAF.

I've recently got a job, so have money. I live in an area outside a city, no street lights, no light pollution! so I'd love to get into.. space a bit more. Mainly just observing stars and what not!

Where to begin!

before i buy myself a telescope I figured it wont hurt to just go by eye, learn the night sky. then just a pair of semi decent binoculars? or should i just jump into a cheap telescope once i'm more comfortable with whats up there.

Any programs or videos or texts anyone can suggest I read?

No reason really other than just looking up there, seeing what I can see, but doing it properly.. what is there to look for up there?

derFeef

Syth_Blade22 said:
OK SPACE GAF.

I've recently got a job, so have money. I live in an area outside a city, no street lights, no light pollution! so I'd love to get into.. space a bit more. Mainly just observing stars and what not!

Where to begin!

before i buy myself a telescope I figured it wont hurt to just go by eye, learn the night sky. then just a pair of semi decent binoculars? or should i just jump into a cheap telescope once i'm more comfortable with whats up there.

Any programs or videos or texts anyone can suggest I read?

No reason really other than just looking up there, seeing what I can see, but doing it properly.. what is there to look for up there?
My first telescope I got was a 8inch dobson. Its a great beginners telescope because of the azimuthal mount. You learn a lot of the sky by searching objects "by hand" and it really is a great telescope for small money.

Oh, and later on, you can buy a parallactic mount and put the newton tube on it. This is what I did :)

edit: Bought the Dobson for 500€ (much cheaper now) had awesome fun for two years and then upgraded to a parralactic mount for about 2k€

this is what it looks like now (not mine, but it is all the same equipment I got).
dobsonnewton.jpg

HolyCheck

ooo ty derFeef, didn't know any brand names either so this gives me somewhere to start!

looking at something even cheaper, theres a dobson 79mm (3inch?) for only $100 AU (about 50 euro i think)

good place to start? Or would something that small be a useless investment? even if it's just to teach me the basics for a few months.

derFeef

Syth_Blade22 said:
ooo ty derFeef, didn't know any brand names either so this gives me somewhere to start!

looking at something even cheaper, theres a dobson 79mm (3inch?) for only $100 AU (about 50 euro i think)

good place to start? Or would something that small be a useless investment? even if it's just to teach me the basics for a few months.
3 inch dobson? Sure its a newton telescope? :)
Do not go under 8inch if you want to look at deepsky objects as well. At 10 inch the "pro" stuff begins so I would say 8 inch is a sweet spot. For the brand - I got a GSO.

Not wanting to convince you but with an 8 inch dobson you get so much.
- big mirror for small money
- yo learn the sky probably because of the mount
- you can watch planets very awesomly and deepsky is great as well
- you can upgrade it with a paralactic. mount for automatic positioning and even take deekspy photos if you want and have the equipment.

I would reccomend this baby here. http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=51&class1=1&class2=106

Really, I can not recommend Dob´s enough as they are so much fun to use (and show-off ;)

Norml said:
Here is a neat article I saw.

Mysterious radio waves emitted from nearby galaxy

http://www.newscientist.com/article...by-galaxy.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

110lz0l.jpg

Having a hard time understanding this phrase:

"Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal"

I know that galaxies moving away from each other was super-luminal speeds does not mean each is moving faster than the speed of light, but the distance they clear is faster. But how does this optical illusion work?

DarkJediKnight said:
Having a hard time understanding this phrase:

"Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal"

I know that galaxies moving away from each other was super-luminal speeds does not mean each is moving faster than the speed of light, but the distance they clear is faster. But how does this optical illusion work?

Ok wait it went from being a huge mystery to just radio waves from quasars?

fallout

derFeef said:
Not wanting to convince you but with an 8 inch dobson you get so much.
I'd have to agree with this. If you're willing to jump in a bit, an 8-inch dob provides a lot in terms of range and flexibility.

Also, one thing you didn't mention was how easy it is to setup. One of the biggest complaints people have about starting out with astronomy is that they spend more time fumbling around than looking at things. Obviously, the dob still requires some of that attention (collimation, aligning the finder, etc.), but the mount is so stupidly easy to setup you just can't go wrong.

As an alternative, I'd also recommend a small apochromatic refractor. Not something that you would find in a department store, but something that has some decent optics. I recently picked up a William Optics 70ED and it's been absolutely fantastic to play with. Something in that 70 mm range would be affordable and provide some very nice views for a beginner.

Also, you can do a lot with any decent pair of binoculars. I make this recommendation to any amateur astronomer, actually.

derFeef

fallout said:
I'd have to agree with this. If you're willing to jump in a bit, an 8-inch dob provides a lot in terms of range and flexibility.

Also, one thing you didn't mention was how easy it is to setup. One of the biggest complaints people have about starting out with astronomy is that they spend more time fumbling around than looking at things. Obviously, the dob still requires some of that attention (collimation, aligning the finder, etc.), but the mount is so stupidly easy to setup you just can't go wrong.

As an alternative, I'd also recommend a small apochromatic refractor. Not something that you would find in a department store, but something that has some decent optics. I recently picked up a William Optics 70ED and it's been absolutely fantastic to play with. Something in that 70 mm range would be affordable and provide some very nice views for a beginner.

Also, you can do a lot with any decent pair of binoculars. I make this recommendation to any amateur astronomer, actually.
Yep, some pairs of good binos are a must. But I have to say they cost me more than my dobson back then and I can not use them when I am in the mountains where the night is dark as it should be, as they provide too much sight.

Nice to see another Dob friend. And yes, setup is very easy. Just give it an hour of fresh air and then you can start to suck in the sky without fumbling around with buttons and so on :D

Orgun

universalmind said:
When you have infinite time there is only one possible outcome.

LOST.jpg

?

Just to keep this on-topic here's a shot of some astronauts

445000main_image_1641_946-710.jpg

Group Portrait

The crews of STS-131 and Expedition 23 gathered for a group portrait in the Kibo laboratory of the International Space Station while space shuttle Discovery was docked at the station. STS-131 crew (in light blue shirts) are commander Alan Poindexter, pilot James P. Dutton Jr., and mission specialists Clayton Anderson, Rick Mastracchio, Dorothy Metcalf-Lindenburger, Stephanie Wilson and Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency astronaut Naoko Yamazaki. Expedition 23 crew Commander Oleg Kotov, cosmonauts Mikhail Kornienko and Alexander Skvortsov, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency astronaut Soichi Noguchi, and NASA astronauts T.J. Creamer and Tracy Caldwell Dyson.

Image Credit: NASA

HolyCheck

fallout said:

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm looking away from binoculars, I dunno why.. I just figure if i start off even with a small telescope.. i'll just get used to its workings! reckon I might go the 8 inch! will wait a few weeks before I get that. Any interesting software out i should look into at the moment? I downloaded Microsofts WorldWide Telescope, seems good.

another reason I'm not too keen on the binoculars.. I have shakey hands :(

Top Bottom