• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

derFeef

Syth_Blade22 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm looking away from binoculars, I dunno why.. I just figure if i start off even with a small telescope.. i'll just get used to its workings! reckon I might go the 8 inch! will wait a few weeks before I get that. Any interesting software out i should look into at the moment? I downloaded Microsofts WorldWide Telescope, seems good.

another reason I'm not too keen on the binoculars.. I have shakey hands :(
Cartes Du Ciel is probably the best sky chart program out there.

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
TimeLike said:
The odds of spinning space dust around long enough that people come out of it are slim to none.

No. The odds are at least one, since such a case has just happened here with us, on this very particular planet. The odds of what we call "people" happening elsewhere are probably slim to none, given that our evolutionary needs were matched by an adaptation to unique environmental conditions. Life elsewhere might be so far removed to what we're acquainted with that it probably won't fit the term "people" anymore.

ILikeFeet

Banned
what ever happen to those rockets that could get us to Mars in 3 months? I heard of it awhile ago but then nothing.

also, Obama better pull a Kennedy since he said that he thought we could get to Mars by 2035 :/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Journeys to the International Space Station - The Big Picture - Boston.com said:
April 12th marked the 49th anniversary of human spaceflight, when Yuri Gagarin became the first person to orbit the Earth in 1961. At this moment, 13 humans are currently in low-Earth orbit, aboard the International Space Station. Several were already aboard the ISS when a Soyuz TMA-18 brought a fresh crew up from the Baikonur Cosmodrome on April 2nd - they were later joined by the crew of the Space Shuttle Discovery on the 131st shuttle mission to date (only three remaining launches scheduled). NASA recently signed a new deal with Russia for six more round-trips to the ISS, at a cost of $55.8 million per seat. Collected here are recent photos of the Space Station, its current crew, their launch vehicles, and the views from above (38 photos total).
9ifchv.jpg

Two Russian spacecraft docked with the International Space Station are featured in this image photographed by an STS-131 crew member while space shuttle Discovery remains docked with the station on April 8th, 2010. (NASA) #
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/journeys_to_the_international.html

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

After an oxygen tank exploded and crippled their service module, the Apollo 13 astronauts were forced to abandon plans to make the third manned lunar landing. The extent of the damage is revealed in this grainy, grim photo, taken as the service module was drifting away, jettisoned only hours prior to the command module's reentry and splashdown. An entire panel on the side of the service module has been blown away and extensive internal damage is apparent. Visible below the gutted compartment is a radio antenna and the large, bell-shaped nozzle of the service module's rocket engine. On April 17, 1970 the three astronauts returned safely to Earth.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Poor little Robo.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/phoenix-mars-lander-no-signal-1004014.html
Long-Silent Mars Lander Appears to Be Officially Lost

It looks like it really is the end for NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander, which spent five months digging in the Martian arctic before succumbing to the icy winter conditions that set in at the end of its mission.

The third and final attempt to listen for any signs of survival from the lander, conducted last week, didn't turn up a peep.

Phoenix landed on Mars on May 25, 2008, and operated successfully in the Martian arctic for about two months longer than its planned three-month mission, which confirmed the presence of water ice under the Martian surface. But once the sun and temperatures dropped and winter set in, the spacecraft didn't have enough power to keep going. The lander went silent in November 2008.

Phoenix was not designed to withstand the extremely low temperatures and the ice load of the Martian arctic winter. But in the unlikely event that the lander's components survived and the spacecraft received enough energy from the rising spring sun, mission managers planned on listening for any signals that Phoenix was waking itself up.

Two attempts at listening were conducted by NASA's Mars Odyssey Orbiter in January and February, neither of which turned up any signals.

The listening flyovers conducted last week were the third and final attempts planned by NASA. These orbits also turned up no signals from the lander, which seems to be gone for good.

"In the unlikely event that Phoenix had survived the harsh Martian arctic winter and been able to achieve a power-positive state with the return of continuous sunshine, there is a very high likelihood that one or more of these 60 overflights would have overlapped with a transmission attempt by the lander," said Chad Edwards, chief telecommunications engineer for the Mars Exploration Program at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.

"This was the last of our three planned Phoenix search campaigns. The Mars program will evaluate the results in hand to assess whether further action is warranted," Edwards said.

fallout

Disappointing that they couldn't pick up a signal from Phoenix, but not entirely surprising, given that the solar panels probably cracked and fell off under the weight of the ice. Still, it lasted longer than it was expected to and collected some pretty fantastic data, especially given the harshness of the environment.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
'Spectacular' First Images from New Solar Observatory Released

The first images of the sun beamed home from NASA's newest solar observatory have wowed mission scientists with their extraordinary detail and unexpected findings.

NASA released the first new images today from the Solar Dynamics Observatory, a probe launched on Feb. 11 to peer deep into the layers of the sun, monitor solar storms and investigate the mysteries of the sun's inner workings.

"The spacecraft and the instruments are working very well," said Richard Fisher, director of the Heliophysics Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington, D.C. "What we've seen is truly, in my view, spectacular."

The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) carries three instruments that constantly stare at the sun, generating images that have a resolution 10 times better than an HD television.

"I believe this is going to be a revolutionary view" of the sun, Fisher told SPACE.com, who likened the new observatory's impact to that of the Hubble Space Telescope.

SDO will be revolutionary to the study of the sun "in the same way Hubble was revolutionary for astrophysics," he said.

The young solar observatory will also be generating an astounding amount of data.

It will stream the equivalent of half-a-million songs per day down to a ground station from its geosynchronous orbit. That's about 150 million bits of data per second, 24 hours a day and seven days a week — almost 50 times more science data than any other mission in NASA's history.

The simultaneous monitoring of several wavelengths of the sun's light coupled with the more rapid pace of observations will give scientists an unprecedentedly detailed view of the features present on the sun. It will also help monitor the solar flares and storms that can impact Earth, as well as shed light on the influence of the sun's magnetic field on the processes that take place within the sun.

"The nice thing about SDO is that we have all of the sun all of the time," said Philip H. Scherrer the principal investigator for SDO's Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager instrument at Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif. Already observations of solar features and their evolution is showing that "the magnetic field is really much more dominant than we thought," Fisher said.

It's also very dynamic: "That magnetic field is never the same twice, it is always changing," said Dean Pesnell, SDO project scientist at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

And though the spacecraft is still in its commissioning phase — meaning all of the instruments are being properly calibrated and the probe is entering its final orbit — it has taken images that are already making unexpected revelations.

One particularly interesting observation, Fisher said, shows the evolution of an active region of the sun, also known as a sunspot. The dark spots on the sun's surface are connected to intense magnetic activity. SDO caught this sunspot in decline that didn't look quite how scientists expected it to.

"It's a little bit baffling about what happened," Fisher said.

SDO observed that tiny changes in the magnetic field due to the decline of the sunspot "have a huge impact on the upper solar atmosphere," Fisher said, likening that to a situation on Earth where a lightning bolt in Indiana would cause a hurricane on the East Coast.

The sunspot is associated with a blast of solar material out into space known as a coronal mass ejection or CME. SDO was able to see the sunspot associated with this CME as well as the waves rippling across the sun's surface associated with it and the flare that caused it.

The CME ejected as much material as is contained in the entire Mississippi River at a speed of about a million miles per hour; the material was accelerated up to that speed in just one second, said Alan Title, the principal investigator of SDO's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly instrument at Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory in Palo Alto, Calif.

That SDO is already stumping scientists with its findings even though it's not yet in full observing mode (which will happen sometime next month) shows what a useful spacecraft it is, Fisher said.

"The hallmark of a successful science experiment [is] that you don't understand what you've gotten back," he said.

Such solar events aren't just interesting to scientists — they can have a major impact on the Earth by knocking out communication systems, GPS satellites and even electrical grids. Scientists hope that SDO will allow them to make better predictions on when solar flares and CMEs might erupt in Earth's direction.

"The more we know about these flares the better we'll be able to be proactive instead of reactive" to space weather, said Tom Woods the principal investigator of the Extreme Ultraviolet Variability Experiment instrument at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

And by allowing scientists to better understand the sun, SDO will also shed light on the workings of other stars.

spaceweather3.jpg

SDOspaceweather.jpg

sdo-first-light-2-100421-02.jpg

sdo-first-light-100421-02.jpg

multiwave_zm_171.jpg

multiwave_zm_193.jpg

AIA_00000.jpg

AIA_00094.jpg

AIA_00116.jpg

AIA_00169.jpg

AIA_00194.jpg

AIA_00236.jpg

20100330_304sub_043.jpg

20100330_304sub_069.jpg

20100330_304sub_102.jpg

multiwave_zm_131.jpg

Naked Snake said:
Holy fucking shit @ those close-up images of from SDO, puts hollywood special effects to shame :lol

The Sun is quite scary.

Scary? Yes, I suppose it is quite horrific when you get up close. But I also happen to think its a beautiful fascinating machine. Stop and think what the sun actually is and what it does for us, you'll never stop appreciating its power and magnificence.

edit: Those photos are great. I can't wait until we can see other stars or even extra solar planets with that clarity.

cjdunn said:
Amaaaaaazing!
That SDO shit needs to go on a Blu-ray. I'd seriously pay money.

Blu-ray and your HDTV won't cut it. SDO produces 10 times the resolution! :lol

Memphis Reigns said:
Scary? Yes, I suppose it is quite horrific when you get up close. But I also happen to think its a beautiful fascinating machine. Stop and think what the sun actually is and what it does for us, you'll never stop appreciating its power and magnificence.

edit: Those photos are great. I can't wait until we can see other stars or even extra solar planets with that clarity.

Of course I appreciate, and would even say love, the sun for what it is. If it wasn't for the Sun we wouldn't be here. And it is fascinating and beautiful, but also quite scary on a multitude of levels. Coronal Mass Ejections not only look terrifying, they are a real threat to our accustomed way of life on earth.

Naked Snake said:
Blu-ray and your HDTV won't cut it. SDO produces 10 times the resolution! :lol

Of course I appreciate, and would even say love, the sun for what it is. If it wasn't for the Sun we wouldn't be here. And it is fascinating and beautiful, but also quite scary on a multitude of levels. Coronal Mass Ejections not only look terrifying, they are a real threat to our accustomed way of life on earth.

What's even more terrifying is that there are other stars hundreds of times bigger that make our sun look like a speck.

By the way I was just saying that people in general should consider those things. I assumed you already appreciated it since you were in the official Space thread. :D

Memphis Reigns said:
What's even more terrifying is that there are other stars hundreds of times bigger that make our sun look like a speck.

Yeah but those other stars are a bazillion light years away and have no immediate effect on our lives. While our sun is literally our cosmic neighbor (or parent), and if it burps directly in our way it could wreck havoc. I recommend watching the episode "Secrets of the Sun" from The Universe series if you haven't, it's the first episode of season one and goes in depth on what "a perfect solar storm" can do to us.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2d9te1h.jpg

Gas and dust condense, beginning the process of creating new stars in this image of Messier 8, also known as the Lagoon Nebula. Located four to five thousand light-years away, in the constellation of Sagittarius (the Archer), the nebula is a giant interstellar cloud, one hundred light-years across. It boasts many large, hot stars, whose ultraviolet radiation sculpts the gas and dust into unusual shapes. Two of these giant stars illuminate the brightest part of the nebula, known as the Hourglass Nebula, a spiralling, funnel-like shape near its centre. Messier 8 is one of the few star-forming nebulae visible to the unaided eye, and was discovered as long ago as 1747, although the full range of colours wasn’t visible until the advent of more powerful telescopes. The Lagoon Nebula derives its name from the wide lagoon-shaped dark lane located in the middle of the nebula that divides it into two glowing sections.

This image combines observations performed through three different filters (B, V, R) with the 1.5-metre Danish telescope at the ESO La Silla Observatory in Chile.

Credit:

ESO/IDA/Danish 1.5 m/ R. Gendler, U.G. Jørgensen, K. Harpsøe

Naked Snake said:
Yeah but those other stars are a bazillion light years away and have no immediate effect on our lives. While our sun is literally our cosmic neighbor (or parent), and if it burps directly in our way it could wreck havoc. I recommend watching the episode "Secrets of the Sun" from The Universe series if you haven't, it's the first episode of season one and goes in depth on what "a perfect solar storm" can do to us.

I'm just saying that its terrifying things of that size even exist. And they do have somewhat of an indirect affect (the whole "if one were to go supernova" theory) which would wipe us out if it was close enough.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Naked Snake said:
Thanks. It's not about safety, I just wanted to know what the video is about, to see if I want to download it or not, since I have a slow internet connection with limited bandwidth.

No problem, I should've been a little more open minded about your situation.

fallout

y2dvd said:
Why did that image capture the sun in a blue/green color scheme?
The Sun actually emits light in many different wavelengths (in fact, I think the most prominent is green). If you filter out certain wavelengths, you get the blue, or the green. Typically, these are used to highlight certain properties of the Sun, though I can't quite recall which one is for what.

fallout said:
The Sun actually emits light in many different wavelengths (in fact, I think the most prominent is green). If you filter out certain wavelengths, you get the blue, or the green. Typically, these are used to highlight certain properties of the Sun, though I can't quite recall which one is for what.

Colors as we know them are a human construct anyway, and we only see a limited spectrum from all the wavelengths emitted by the Sun and other objects. Which is why most/all space images are not taken in full color but colorized afterwards to make them appealing to the public. Scientists don't care about color images because they are interested in the data gathered from the images, which contains a ton of stuff that the human eye doesn't see.

...right?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Naked Snake said:
Colors as we know them are a human construct anyway, and we only see a limited spectrum from all the wavelengths emitted by the Sun and other objects. Which is why most/all space images are not taken in full color but colorized afterwards to make them appealing to the public. Scientists don't care about color images because they are interested in the data gathered from the images, which contains a ton of stuff that the human eye doesn't see.

...right?

Yep, when studying spectroscopy, scientists analyze the whole wavelength - which usually comes in the form of graphs and charts. Not pretty pictures.

Note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPLGuwXomYQ

Top Bottom