• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Hawk SE

iNvidious01 said:
i cant describe how some of the pictures, and facts about space in general make me feel, its so weird. its like a good feeling but im not sure what. all i know is i love space :lol

I'd put into those words too. There's just something isolating or amazing or overwhelming about space.

owlbeak

500x_23878_web.jpg

Artists Impression

Located roughly 10,000 light-years away in the constellation of Centaurus, the star IRAS 13481-6124 is twenty times the Sun's mass and about five times bigger in diameter. Using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, astronomers discovered the star is still in the last stage before its "birth," encircled by a telltale disc of dust and gas.

That sort of disc has never been seen around such a massive star before. Astronomers already knew smaller stars had these prenatal discs before they reached final mass, but they were unsure whether such discs could survive the intensely bright light of stars more than ten times the mass of the Sun. However, without the extra mass that these dust discs provide, it wasn't clear how such stars ever attained their final mass. As an alternative, astronomers had proposed massive stars were actually the result of smaller stars falling into each other and merging.

Here's a link to the paper about the discovery.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
We're witnessing the birth of a star.The people before us couldn't have even dreamed of this being possible. Great times to be living in.

jett

D-Member
If they can take those amazing pictures of the cosmos is it possible to capture events such as the most recent picture in motion?

owlbeak

jett said:
If they can take those amazing pictures of the cosmos is it possible to capture events such as the most recent picture in motion?
Not a chance, I'm sure the exposure time on that photo was weeks at least (?).

mm 10,000 years... would that star be in a relatively similar state after only 10,000 years?
I'd imagine. It's a slow process.

owlbeak

......We were all duped. :( Just saw that's an artist's impression...I like how that was not mentioned AT ALL in the article or caption for the picture. Looked pretty real to me.

I fail!

Edit: Here's the ACTUAL picture:

massive-stars-form-like-small-stars-100714-2-02.jpg

Not quite as mind-blowing haha.

jett said:

Sorry for the but and these have likely been posted before, but I was poking through my subscribed thread and thought that you might like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbig–Haro_object

V838 Monocerotis

S2 among others. I couldn't find a gif but click on the image for the video. I was hoping for a better link but Spore and Muse got in the way. ;)

Splinter

Can someone post the prettiest "human eye" picture of the night sky? No long exposure pics, or touched up pics, just the best looking picture of what the human eye can see in the dark night sky.

noah111

Still Alive
Splinter said:
Can someone post the prettiest "human eye" picture of the night sky? No long exposure pics, or touched up pics, just the best looking picture of what the human eye can see in the dark night sky.
I assume you mean with 0% light pollution, right? I can tell you from my experience a long time ago, it's just amazing. A picture will never do it justice, seeing it in person almost made it seem like there was actually a giant black cloth over the sky with holes in it, and the stars are just glimmers of what's behind it.. there are so many, different sizes and hues, it's really something everyone should try doing at one point or another..

Sentry said:
I assume you mean with 0% light pollution, right? I can tell you from my experience a long time ago, it's just amazing. A picture will never do it justice, seeing it in person almost made it seem like there was actually a giant black cloth over the sky with holes in it, and the stars are just glimmers of what's behind it.. there are so many, different sizes and hues, it's really something everyone should try doing at one point or another..

I had a chance to see the night sky during the dark season in northern Greenland where there is zero light pollution and very little actual pollution. It was the most amazing sight I had ever seen. Laying down on the snow and looking up made me feel like I was actually in space. I saw probably 5 "shooting stars" per minute and it felt like I could jump off of Earth and right into space. It's something I would never forget.

And there were so many stars! Everything was so crisp and it made me envious of the old days before lights and pollution.

Splinter

MotorbreathX said:
I had a chance to see the night sky during the dark season in northern Greenland where there is zero light pollution and very little actual pollution. It was the most amazing sight I had ever seen. Laying down on the snow and looking up made me feel like I was actually in space. I saw probably 5 "shooting stars" per minute and it felt like I could jump off of Earth and right into space. It's something I would never forget.

And there were so many stars! Everything was so crisp and it made me envious of the old days before lights and pollution.

Did it look like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3cVQcfb-w

Could you see the galactic center (epic name) this vividly?

milky-way.jpg

owlbeak

Splinter said:

When I lived in West Virginia we would often go out to parties at a friends house who lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere. No lights for miles, and it wasn't as vivid as in that video, but you could clearly see the dust lanes and galactic center in the night sky overhead.

If you've never been to a truly DARK area, with no lights for miles, you are missing an amazing experience. I'd recommend just driving deep into a state park or something for a night in the summer. Everyone should experience it, I'd say it's life changing, but that sounds dumb/cliche, but it's true.

Splinter said:

milky-way.jpg

Wow. Cool video.

Yes, it was that detailed, but add the crispness of your own vision and the surrounding darkness to the mix. In that video there were campers and whatnot walking around with some light. During my experience I couldn't see any light for miles and miles. The darkness would swarm over you. It was the creepiest and most awesome experience.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'd be so in love with religion if they abandoned the whole S:t Peter and Heaven, etc, and just said "After you die you spent an eternity exploring the universe in your astral form, taking in the majesty of creation." Because that'd be something special. I don't believe that it would happen unfortunatly, but I hope it happens. :)

Treo360

MotorbreathX said:
Wow. Cool video.

Yes, it was that detailed, but add the crispness of your own vision and the surrounding darkness to the mix. In that video there were campers and whatnot walking around with some light. During my experience I couldn't see any light for miles and miles. The darkness would swarm over you. It was the creepiest and most awesome experience.
You were probably in a Bortle region 3-4 area, maybe a 2. There are no region 1 areas in The United States (lower 48 that is)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
girls and love is the final fronter we will never understand it / them as much as we try :D :lol

Treo360 said:
You were probably in a Bortle region 3-4 area, maybe a 2. There are no region 1 areas in The United States (lower 48 that is)

That's a cool scale. But I think I was in a one. I was north of Thule, Greenland. According to the scale, at a two you are capable of making out silhouettes of buildings. This was total darkness where I was. I couldn't see a person sitting directly next to me. Especially creepy knowing there polar bears movin' about. lol

Reno7728

Biggest Star ever has seen has been discoverd

_48431678_sun_and_star_464.gif

BBC said:
One of the objects, known simply as R136a1, is the most massive ever found.

Viewed today, the star has a mass about 265 times that of our own Sun; but the latest modelling work suggests at birth it could have been bigger, still.

Perhaps as much as 320 times that of the Sun, says Professor Paul Crowther from Sheffield University, UK.

"If it replaced the Sun in our Solar System, it would outshine [it] by as much as the Sun currently outshines the full Moon," the astronomer told BBC News.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hawk xSx said:
What other measurements make it the "Biggest Star" if not mass?

Mass =/= physical size. This new sucker may have a greater mass than VY Canis Majoris, though smaller size.

noah111

Still Alive
I don't get how it can be so small yet have such a mass. Wouldn't it collapse in on itself; black hole? Very interesting nonetheless.

fallout

Sentry said:
I don't get how it can be so small yet have such a mass. Wouldn't it collapse in on itself; black hole? Very interesting nonetheless.
There's a bit more to it than just mass. It also depends on the internal properties of the star and the amount of time required for it to burn up its fuel to the point where it will collapse. Given the mass of that star, we can reasonably predict what will happen and when (I'm guessing that this one will go supernova and produce a black hole).

This might be worth having a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit

I live in a pretty low light area in Australia and on any clear night I can see a much fainter version of the above picture (although you can clearly see the cloudy band stretch across the sky).

Neverender said:
I live in a pretty low light area in Australia and on any clear night I can see a much fainter version of the above picture (although you can clearly see the cloudy band stretch across the sky).

ugh, I'm so jealous!

Top Bottom