• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Hootie

I've been talking about it in this thread for years now and I finally did it - my major is officially Astrophysics :D

I'm really excited to start college now.

Deku

Banned
Neverender said:
I live in a pretty low light area in Australia and on any clear night I can see a much fainter version of the above picture (although you can clearly see the cloudy band stretch across the sky).

jealous.

Hootie

Naked Snake said:
That is so awesome. Congrats!

I knew I had to do it. I had Boston University orientation Wed-Fri and I was originally in Biomedical Engineering, but thought hard about it and switched. I feel verrrry relieved. CANT wait to start.

Hawk SE

Hootie said:
I've been talking about it in this thread for years now and I finally did it - my major is officially Astrophysics :D

I'm really excited to start college now.

That's awesome, keep us updated with what your classes are and how you do!

Hootie

Haha thanks guys, I'll be sure to let you know how I'm doing these next few years.

Because it's my first semester of college, I'm not taking any really special classes.

Principles of Astronomy I
Physics I
Honors Calculus (Calculus II on mega-steroids)
Freshman Physicist Seminar
Writing Seminar
Zen Meditation (I'm going to need it :lol )

I looked through a class guide and there are some realllly awesome astro. and physics classes I'll eventually be taking :D

ianp622

Lucky Forward said:
^^ It appears to be a time exposure...that's why the sky is so bright and the water looks all misty where it laps at the shoreline.

Must only be a couple of seconds at most, given that neither the stars nor the ground show trails.

Hootie

Naked Snake said:
Calculus gives me nightmares... I flunked Calculus II more than times than I care to remember :lol

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it...:lol

I checked ratemyprofessor.com and apparently the guy who teaches the class is one of the nicest people ever so I might have a chance of surviving.

Alucrid

Banned
Hootie said:

I checked ratemyprofessor.com and apparently the guy who teaches the class is one of the nicest people ever so I might have a chance of surviving.

Calc 2 isn't thaaaat bad. I dropped out of engineering and still did fine in that. Fuck Chemistry though. Never take that class, ever.

Hootie

Alucrid said:
Calc 2 isn't thaaaat bad. I dropped out of engineering and still did fine in that. Fuck Chemistry though. Never take that class, ever.

Well its the fact that it's the most advanced Calc 2 possible. Theres Calc 2, Enriched Calc, then Honors. Honors was the only one available since I went to one of the last orientations.

But yeah I took college chemistry during my junior year of high school, for Rhode Island College credit. Tough stuff, but I had a really nice class and teacher. Luckily astrophys. majors don't have to bother with chem at all.

Now that I think about it, my class virtually worshipped my teacher :lol

Hootie said:

Oh that's lucky, our calc prof was notorious for being the biggest douche ever :lol

For some reason I always found chemistry easier than calculus, although I didn't take a college-level class of the former.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hawk xSx said:
I want this clarity where I live:

mwrock_cherney_big.jpg

For those of you who enjoy this image, watch this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV58YptFTK0&videos=rx1H1VpICL4

It's long, but worth it.

Socreges

Banned
So, guys, I was just told that I have an interview with the Canadian Space Agency tomorrow.

That's right. Canada has a space agency. 10 days ago, even I didn't know that. Seriously. I mean, it makes sense. But I'd never heard of it. And now I may be working with them.

I applied without giving it any real serious thought, but I've always been a huge astronomy nut. Besides sports, it's my top hobby. So this could be pretty cool.

Oh, I also didn't know this thread existed. I think I probably always overlooked it since it seemed like some Star Trek stuff.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Socreges said:
That's right. Canada has a space agency. 10 days ago, even I didn't know that. Seriously. I mean, it makes sense. But I'd never heard of it. And now I may be working with them.

So you're tellin me you never even heard of the legendary Canada Space Arm?

11robo.xlarge1.jpg

iss_arm_250X200.jpg

for shame...

Treo360

has this been posted yet?

Star Flung out of our Galaxy
dn16373-2_700.jpg

NASA said that the Hubble observations confirmed that the super-fast star hails from the center of the Milky Way. According to MSN, "Astronomers think the star is a survivor from a triple-star system that traveled through the bustling center of our Milky Way galaxy 100 million years ago, but made the perilous mistake of wandering too close to the galaxy's giant black hole, which captured one of the stars and flung the other two out of the Milky Way. The two ejected stars then merged to form a super-hot, blue star."

source here

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I live in Texas and I don't have to drive very far to be away from the city and light pollution. There is absolutely nothing like gazing at the sky on a clear night, the Milky Way in full view. It's the most awe-inspiring experience a person can have, I think. It makes me ache when I realize that we probably won't be actively exploring our galaxy within my lifetime.

fallout

Socreges said:
So, guys, I was just told that I have an interview with the Canadian Space Agency tomorrow.

I applied without giving it any real serious thought, but I've always been a huge astronomy nut. Besides sports, it's my top hobby. So this could be pretty cool.

Oh, I also didn't know this thread existed. I think I probably always overlooked it since it seemed like some Star Trek stuff.
I knew we got along for a reason. You should give this thread a read from start to finish if you have time. There's lots of gold buried here.

Socreges

Banned
Extollere said:
So you're tellin me you never even heard of the legendary Canada Space Arm?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/03/11/science/11robo.xlarge1.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/spacestation/systems/images/iss_arm_250X200.jpg[img]

for shame...[/QUOTE]Oh, I have. But I'm pretty sure the CSA didn't develop that, they only coordinated its creation and perhaps contributed to related research. I knew that Canada had a hand in space exploration and technologies, but I never thought about where it all came from. *shrug*

[QUOTE=fallout]I knew we got along for a reason. You should give this thread a read from start to finish if you have time. There's lots of gold buried here.[/QUOTE]I thought it was because of our mutual hatred for all-things-Flames!

But yeah, I'm definitely going to go through this thread and have a look.

Phone interview in 20 minutes! If you guys never see me give an update about the job, you'll know why...

Socreges said:
Phone interview in 20 minutes! If you guys never see me give an update about the job, you'll know why...

Best of luck man, but considering the fact that you only found out about the job 10 days ago don't be too bummed if it doesn't work out.

Socreges

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
Best of luck man, but considering the fact that you only found out about the job 10 days ago don't be too bummed if it doesn't work out.
And I was told about the interview less than 24 hours ago. I only just now went onto their website to check things out, but I don't feel prepared at all. Ah well. Anyway, thanks.

Socreges

Banned
Update: I did really well. But the job sounds a little boring. I'd basically be preparing Canadian astronauts for a long-duration space mission (6 months) in 2012, but of course wouldn't even interact with them. I'd be preparing the paperwork and facilitating certain things and often by myself apparently. She committed about 10 minutes basically warning me about how unexciting the job is and how it doesn't necessarily relate to my career. She was definitely concerned with hiring someone that would be disappointed the moment they sat down in the office chair.

I think I could get a job offer on Friday, but might actually turn it down. The CSA won't even be hiring for another three years so there won't be any opportunities afterwards regardless.

I actually thought maybe 20% of the job would be related to information re: space. Seems more like 5%. :/

Nameless

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has imaged this coiled galaxy with an eye-like object at its center. The 'eye' at the center of the galaxy is actually a monstrous black hole surrounded by a ring of stars. In this color-coded infrared view from Spitzer, the area around the invisible black hole is blue and the ring of stars, white. The galaxy, called NGC 1097 and located 50 million light-years away, is spiral-shaped like our Milky Way, with long, spindly arms of stars.

The black hole is huge, about 100 million times the mass of our sun, and is feeding off gas and dust, along with the occasional unlucky star. Our Milky Way's central black hole is tame in comparison, with a mass of a few million suns.

6a00d8341bf7f753ef0120a547b19d970c-pi

Hawk SE

Well yeah, but that's not the point. It's representative of the size of the universe, not showing every individual galaxy.

Top Bottom