• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

cjdunn

SolarPowered said:
I actually ran across this today while I was using Netflix on my 360. They've finally added the complete collection of Cosmos for instant play(even for parties on the 360). It's the absolute primer for anyone with interest in astronomy, heavenly bodies, and science in general.

I actually checked this series a little over a month ago and it was not available so I'm assuming that it's addition to instant play was pretty recent.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cosm...85d36_0_srl&strkid=419043578_0_0&trkid=438381
Actually, I watched episodes on my iPad via the Netflix app back in July. So maybe there's a delay for Xbox (or all consoles or devices that connect to a TV vs. mobile devices). Who knows?

Anyway, September marks the 30th anniversary of the show debut, so everybody should watch it.

danwarb

astroturfing said:
because realizing our insignificance actually makes us great. we can imagine a universe with our brains. and our brains have more neurons and synapses than a galaxy has stars... way more.

your brain interpreting this text right now has a more impressive structure than any galaxy. IMO.
To be fair to galaxies, the Milky Way has more than 6 billion of your human brains on one planet orbiting one of several hundred billion stars.

danwarb said:
To be fair to galaxies, the Milky Way has more than 6 billion of your human brains on one planet orbiting one of several hundred billion stars.

well yeah but i meant the general structure... if you don't look at the surfaces of stars or planets :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
astroturfing said:
well yeah but i meant the general structure... if you don't look at the surfaces of stars or planets :p

That's it though, isn't it? Every planet and ball of rock orbiting every unique star, each unique billions of them in each unique galaxy and the billions unique galaxies in the universe. The billions that existed, the billions that exist now and the billions that will exist in future.

The universe is so vast, huge and composed of so many things that one person could ever understand. Comparing a human brain to the universe is pointless. The universe created the brain in the first place. Our very existence was forged in the heart of ancient star. When the last neuron fires in the last human brain the universe continues onwards, it's mysteries deepening ever more.

One day, I am certain we will figure out human biology. We will understand the brain. We could create a machine that maps out the brain, it may take a long time to compute, to simulate every possibility - it may take millions of years with our current computational power, but it would be possible. Now try that with the universe. Simulate every possibility of everything. Impossible. We will never figure out the universe.

We need to start work on Multi-Vac. =)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Dani said:
That's it though, isn't it? Every planet and ball of rock orbiting every unique star, each unique billions of them in each unique galaxy and the billions unique galaxies in the universe. The billions that existed, the billions that exist now and the billions that will exist in future.

The universe is so vast, huge and composed of so many things that one person could ever understand. Comparing a human brain to the universe is pointless. The universe created the brain in the first place. Our very existence was forged in the heart of ancient star. When the last neuron fires in the last human brain the universe continues onwards, it's mysteries deepening ever more.

One day, I am certain we will figure out human biology. We will understand the brain. We could create a machine that maps out the brain, it may take a long time to compute, to simulate every possibility - it may take millions of years with our current computational power, but it would be possible. Now try that with the universe. Simulate every possibility of everything. Impossible. We will never figure out the universe.

We need to start work on Multi-Vac. =)

It's not even the staggering number of things that makes the Universe hard to grasp. We're still arguing over the structure of space itself. Is the fabric of space flat, curved, wobbly, ect.. Does it fold in on itself? Does it's true form exist in the 4th dimension, and we, only capable of perceiving 3 of them? String theory, Super String theory, M-theory, multiverse, oscillating universe, forget about it. The Universe isn't just strange, it's stranger than we're capable of knowing.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Extollere said:
It's not even the staggering number of things that makes the Universe hard to grasp. We're still arguing over the structure of space itself. Is the fabric of space flat, curved, wobbly, ect.. Does it fold in on itself? Does it's true form exist in the 4th dimension, and we, only capable of perceiving 3 of them? String theory, Super String theory, M-theory, multiverse, oscillating universe, forget about it. The Universe isn't just strange, it's stranger than we're capable of knowing.

Too true. You don't even have to go to the lengths of looking at those subjects to start coming up ignorant. Just look at quantum mechanics. We don't even know how matter works at the smallest level. What is this matter composed of? We are clueless!

We build tunnels, kilometres in length, stretching across many countries, just to try to figure out small details of the smallest pieces of matter.

Often we can predict how things work but can't even explain why!

Treo360 said:
cool image, kinda reminds me of what's theorized when a Super Massive Black Hole Erupts, it pretty much blasts everything away from it.

Wait, I didn't know black holes can errupt... WTF, wouldn't that be like a mini-Big Bang?

Asbel

PjotrStroganov said:
Interesting to see how the amount of discoveries where ramped up during the 90's. Did some new hardware get put in use.
witnessing comet shoemaker-levy 9's impact on jupiter in the early 90s first hand interested and frightened everyone, including govt, on how little they knew about astroids at the time.

Ben2749 said:
Why does feeling so insignificant feel so damn good?

I was thinking about this before while looking at galaxy photos. I think its because no matter how bad you screw up in your life, whatever care you have in your life or whatever problems you are having, just look to the sky.

Those "huge" problems and issues you are having will always be so insignificant next to the vastness of that of our universe. It is beyond comprehension. You can make no mistake in life that will doom the grand scheme of things in the universe.

Short version: Feels good man!

Lionheart1827 said:
I was thinking about this before while looking at galaxy photos. I think its because no matter how bad you screw up in your life, whatever care you have in your life or whatever problems you are having, just look to the sky.

Those "huge" problems and issues you are having will always be so insignificant next to the vastness of that of our universe. It is beyond comprehension. You can make no mistake in life that will doom the grand scheme of things in the universe.

I got into that state of mind quite often... it's a nice way to jolt myself out of whatever is worrying me.

Alucrid

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:

I tried that and all I saw was light pollution. How is light pollution supposed to make me feel better?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Lionheart1827 said:

I can definitely relate to that feeling. Furthermore is the complete oddity that when you are looking out at the Universe you are looking at the same material that bore you. The same shit that brought you to life is all around you ("maaan"). You are just a piece of that Universe coming to consciousness and looking back at yourself. It's quite a remarkable sense of oneness if you can reflect on that with an open mind.

Spacecraft to fly into the sun

NASA probe will need to withstand temperatures up to 2,600 degrees Fahrenheit

Why the sun's atmosphere is nearly 200 times hotter than its visible surface is a long-standing mystery. A new spacecraft, called Solar Probe Plus, aims to find some answers.

Flying directly into the sun's corona is a suicidal mission to be sure, but scientists and engineers at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab in Baltimore, which is developing Solar Probe Plus for NASA, plan to keep the spacecraft alive as long as possible.

It's not going to be easy. For starters, the probe will need to withstand temperatures up to about 2,600 degrees Fahrenheit. Plus, its heat shield can't ablate, or boil away like the shields on capsules returning through Earth's atmosphere are designed to do. That would pollute the particles and measurements Solar Probe Plus is being dispatched to gather.

"The whole point of the mission is to do particle detection and in situ measurements. If you're measuring part of your shield that's not going to work," Andy Dantzler, Solar Probe Plus project manager at Johns Hopkins University, told Discovery News.

The spacecraft also needs to be extremely lightweight so that it can fly.

"You need a lot of speed to go against the direction of the Earth," said Dantzler.

Eight weeks after launch, Solar Probe Plus will arrive at the sun to begin the first of 24 orbits using flybys of Venus to gradually shrink its distance to the sun. Eventually, it will come as close as about 4 million miles, which is inside the orbit of Mercury and about eight times closer than any previous spacecraft.
In addition to answering some basic science questions, information gathered by Solar Probe Plus could have some practical impacts by helping to improve space weather forecasts. Solar storms and magnetic disturbances from the sun can disrupt satellites and radio transmission, as well as take out power grids on Earth.

"Right now, predicting space weather is kind of like trying to predict hurricanes without knowing the acceleration effects of the oceans. Without that, you really can't understand them at all," Dantzler said.

Solar Probe Plus, which will cost more than $1 billion, initially was to launch in 2015, but has been bumped to 2018 to spread out the cost. NASA is expected to select the probe's science instruments this month.

5319.gif

Extollere said:
I can definitely relate to that feeling. Furthermore is the complete oddity that when you are looking out at the Universe you are looking at the same material that bore you. The same shit that brought you to life is all around you ("maaan"). You are just a piece of that Universe coming to consciousness and looking back at yourself. It's quite a remarkable sense of oneness if you can reflect on that with an open mind.

As can I. It gives me such a feeling of awe and comfort to know this. It has completely changed my outlook on life.

"We are a way for the Universe to know itself."

-Carl Sagan

derFeef

AirBrian said:
Has anyone purchased any astronomy apps for the iPhone? Recommendations?
Starmap (or Starmap pro) is the most advanced astronomy app for the iPhone afaik. It really has good features and access to the common catalogues.

UrbanRats

Extollere said:
I wonder if in the future there'll be Supernovæ racism. :lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
kaixbk.jpg

Explanation: What does Earth look like from the planet Mercury? The robotic spacecraft MESSENGER found out as it looked toward the Earth during its closest approach to the Sun about three months ago. The Earth and Moon are visible as the double spot on the lower left of the above image. Now MESSENGER was not at Mercury when it took the above image, but at a location from which the view would be similar. From Mercury, both the Earth and its comparatively large moon will always appear as small circles of reflected sunlight and will never show a crescent phase. MESSENGER has zipped right by Mercury three times since being launched in 2004, and is scheduled to enter orbit around the innermost planet in March of 2011.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100901.html

fallout

I recommend watching this in some form of HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_d-gs0WoUw&feature=player_embedded

Video Created by Scott Manley, this is a view of the solar system showing the locations of all the asteroids starting in 1980, as asteroids are discovered they are added to the map and highlighted white so you can pick out the new ones.
The final colour of an asteroids indicates how closely it comes to the inner solar system.
Earth Crossers are Red
Earth Approachers (Perihelion less than 1.3AU) are Yellow
All Others are Green

Notice now the pattern of discovery follows the Earth around its orbit, most discoveries are made in the region directly opposite the Sun. You'll also notice some clusters of discoveries on the line between Earth and Jupiter, these are the result of surveys looking for Jovian moons. Similar clusters of discoveries can be tied to the other outer planets, but those are not visible in this video.

As the video moves into the mid 1990's we see much higher discovery rates as automated sky scanning systems come online. Most of the surveys are imaging the sky directly opposite the sun and you'll see a region of high discovery rates aligned in this manner.

At the beginning of 2010 a new discovery pattern becomes evident, with discovery zones in a line perpendicular to the Sun-Earth vector. These new observations are the result of the WISE (Widefield Infrared Survey Explorer) which is a space mission that's tasked with imaging the entire sky in infrared wavelengths.

The scale of the video at 1080P resolution is roughly 1million kilometers per pixel, and each second of video corresponds to 60 days.​

Willy105 said:
Mercury must be so cool if it wasn't so close to the Sun.

fun facts to know and tell about Mercury

1. Half of Mercury had never been seen.
Until NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft made its first flyby of Mercury in 2008, NASA only had close up pictures of one half of Mercury's surface. These first pictures were captured by NASA's Mariner 10 spacecraft, which made a series of three flybys in 1974-75. During its closest flyby, Mariner came within 327 km of the surface of Mercury, and detected its magnetic field. Just after its final close approach, Mariner 10 ran out of fuel, and has probably been orbiting the region ever since.

It wasn't until MESSENGER arrived in 2008, and captured the first close-up images of Mercury that planetary scientists finally got to see the other half of Mercury, up close for the first time. The resolution and details captured by MESSENGER are incredible, and have given scientists data to study for years.

Want more Mercury (the planet) facts? Read on…

2. Mercury has a magnetic field
During its closest flyby, Mariner 10 detected a faint magnetic field around Mercury. This magnetic field is very similar to the one we have on the Earth, which protects are planet from the Sun's solar wind. Since Mercury cooled down a long time ago, it can't have the kind of dynamo running inside the Earth. So where's the magnetic field coming from? This is one of the big questions that NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft will try to answer.

Need more interesting facts on Mercury? Here's #3.

3. There might be ice on Mercury
I know, this one's hard to believe, since Mercury is so close to the Sun, and it's baking hot. But the reality is that there are regions on the surface of Mercury which are never heated by the Sun. These are craters around the poles of the planet which are eternally in shadow. And because they're in shadow, they can be hundreds of degrees below zero. Water could form ice in these craters that could last for millions of years. Once again, finding out if there's ice on Mercury will be one of MESSENGER's missions.

4. You can see Mercury with your own eyes
Mercury is actually a difficult planet to observe. Because it orbits closer to the Sun than the Earth, it appears to stick close to the Sun in the sky. The only times you can actually observe it is when the Sun has just set, or is about to rise. You only have a short amount of time to spot it, and you need a place that has a clear view to the horizon. When you hear Mercury is in the sky, find a clear view to the horizon in either the East for the morning, or the West in the evening. It will be a very bright object that will either set after the Sun, or fade away as the Sun rises.

5. We have known about Mercury for millennia
Unlike Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, which were discovered in the last few hundred years, ancient peoples have known about Mercury for thousands of years. There are recorded observations of Mercury made by the ancient Greeks and Romans; they named it after the god Hermes, who pulled the Sun across the sky.

6. Mercury has an atmosphere
Mercury is so small that it has too little gravity to hold an atmosphere like Earth or Venus. But it does have a tenuous atmosphere of hydrogen, helium, oxygen, sodium, calcium and potassium around it. They don't form a stable atmosphere. Instead, there's a constant flow of these atoms into orbit around Mercury, and then the Sun's solar wind blasts it away into space.

7. It has the most eccentric orbit of all the planets
Now that Pluto is no longer a planet, Mercury takes the record for the most eccentric orbit. This means that its orbit is an ellipse, varying its distance to the Sun. At its closest point, Mercury gets to within 46 million km, and then it ranges out to 70 million km from the Sun.

8. The orbit of Mercury helped prove Einstein's theories of relativity
As astronomers got more and more accurate instruments, and a way to mathematically describe the motions of the planets, they realized there was something wrong with Mercury's movements around the Earth. They noticed that the closest point of Mercury's orbit (its perihelion) was slowly moving around the Sun. And they didn't know why. It finally took Einstein's calculations of general relativity to predict the motions of Mercury exactly.

9. Hubble can't look at Mercury at all
The Hubble Space Telescope has never been used to observe Mercury, and it never will be. The planet is so close to the Sun that the light from the Sun would overwhelm Hubble, and could permanently damage its optics and electronics.

10. Spacecraft are on their way
As we mentioned above, NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft is already on its way to Mercury. If all goes well, it'll pass the planet several more times, and finally go into orbit around the planet in 2011. The European Space Agency is working on a mission with Japan called BepiColumbo. This spacecraft will orbit Mercury with two probes; one to map its surface, and the other to study its magnetic field. Unfortunately, the concept of a lander was shelved.

GONz

Sorry I don't have any other source than this page in French, but according to 2 American teams, the James Webster Space Telescope will be able to detect the presence of oceans on exoplanets thanks to the reflection of their mother star on the liquid surface, in the same ways methane lakes have been detected on Titan's surface. The second team says that up to 30 light-years, the JWST will be able to detect the emission of dioxyde of sulfur due to a volcanic eruption (about 10x as big as Pinatubo's one).

The JWST is to be launched in 2014, come on!!!

Zio

this thread has gotten kind of big, so I'm not sure if it's been talked about already, but what does Space-GAF think of History Channel's "The Universe" for Blu-Ray? Does anyone own it or have seen it for Blu-Ray? Would it be worth buying? Is it comparable to Planet Earth but for space?

Also, if not this, what video documentaries about space do you all know of? I'm looking for some that are mainly high quality images or CGI animations of outer space to play on my shiny new flatscreen :D

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Zio said:
this thread has gotten kind of big, so I'm not sure if it's been talked about already, but what does Space-GAF think of History Channel's "The Universe" for Blu-Ray? Does anyone own it or have seen it for Blu-Ray? Would it be worth buying? Is it comparable to Planet Earth but for space?

Also, if not this, what video documentaries about space do you all know of? I'm looking for some that are mainly high quality images or CGI animations of outer space to play on my shiny new flatscreen :D

No. It's interesting but don't pay money for it.

The best documentary about space has dated imagery and effects and plays in 4:3. If all you really want are high quality images for your screen then I'd suggest that you download some high-res Hubble shots and play them in a slide show.

Clevinger

Extollere said:
No. It's interesting but don't pay money for it.

The best documentary about space has dated imagery and effects and plays in 4:3. If all you really want are high quality images for your screen then I'd suggest that you download some high-res Hubble shots and play them in a slide show.

Or watch "Wonders of the Solar System."

Deku

Banned
Our sun will also become a white dwarf and have a crystalized core in about 5 billion years.

RE: picture from Mercury of Earth and the Moon.

Really shows us how much further we have to go. Stepping on the moon is like wading into the shallows of a lagoon, next to the open ocean.

Top Bottom