• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

TacticalFox88 said:
I know this makes sense in my head, but here goes nothing. We always talk about going *across* the universe in a straight path and what not. But what about *down*? Like say you go into space, point the ship downwards, and hit the thrust assuming it's advanced and all that jazz. Would there be anything? Are we a "Moon" to some other planet that we can't see?

The universe is pretty 3D dimensional in terms of layout - even if it does seem to form a disc overall, we only understand the layout from our viewpoint. So you have a lot of it's there...

1. If you head "down" (perpendicular to the common orbiting angle of the Solar System)
2. If you head "down" through the Oort Cloud
3. If this also all happens to be perpendicular to the common plane of the Milky Way

Even then, there are a ridiculous number of galaxies and stars to find along the way, and there's no guarantee the universe has a disc shape. There are various things that make sense, but given the light limit in terms of how far we could see, it's vaguely possible it's galaxies all the way down. (Or at least far enough that time is no longer a useful measurement.)

The thing is, we're not a moon - hell, we're not even visible without some pretty advanced technology. But Sol is effectively a star in the sky, depending on where that sky is...

Melchiah

McNei1y said:
Those things always blow my mind. Say we had the VY star as our own, I'm assuming the star would take up our entire sky line/horizon? :lol

That would be a sight to die for. Literally.

McNei1y

Melchiah said:
That would be a sight to die for. Literally.

Well yeah that's what I also assumed. I wish we had something else in our view instead of Luna/Sol. Don't get me wrong because the sites we see here on earth are amazing but being in this era and being spoiled with sci-fi things, space discoveries, and more just makes me want to see a change of scenery. (I say this as I listen to the Galaxy Map song from ME :lol )

Melchiah

McNei1y said:
Well yeah that's what I also assumed. I wish we had something else in our view instead of Luna/Sol. Don't get me wrong because the sites we see here on earth are amazing but being in this era and being spoiled with sci-fi things, space discoveries, and more just makes me want to see a change of scenery. (I say this as I listen to the Galaxy Map song from ME :lol )

Same here. And I've been listening to both ME soundtracks this week as well. =)

Scientists have estimated the first cosmic census of planets in our galaxy and the numbers are astronomical: at least 50 billion planets in the Milky Way.

At least 500 million of those planets are in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold zone where life could exist. The numbers were extrapolated from the early results of NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.

Kepler science chief William Borucki says scientists took the number of planets they found in the first year of searching a small part of the night sky and then made an estimate on how likely stars are to have planets. Kepler spots planets as they pass between Earth and the star it orbits.

So far Kepler has found 1,235 candidate planets, with 54 in the Goldilocks zone, where life could possibly exist. Kepler's main mission is not to examine individual worlds, but give astronomers a sense of how many planets, especially potentially habitable ones, there are likely to be in our galaxy. They would use the one-four-hundredth of the night sky that Kepler is looking at and extrapolate from there.

Borucki and colleagues figured one of two stars has planets and one of 200 stars has planets in the habitable zone, announcing these ratios Saturday at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual conference in Washington. And that's a minimum because these stars can have more than one planet and Kepler has yet to get a long enough glimpse to see planets that are further out from the star, like Earth, Borucki said.

For example, if Kepler were 1,000 light years from Earth and looking at our sun and noticed Venus passing by, there's only a one-in-eight chance that Earth would also be seen, astronomers said.

To get the estimate for the total number of planets, scientists then took the frequency observed already and applied it to the number of stars in the Milky Way.

For many years scientists figured there were 100 billion stars in the Milky Way, but last year a Yale scientist figured the number was closer to 300 billion stars.

Either way it shows that Carl Sagan was right when he talked of billions and billions of worlds, said retired NASA astronomer Steve Maran, who praised the research but wasn't part of it.

And that's just our galaxy. Scientists figure there are 100 billion galaxies.
Borucki said the new calculations lead to worlds of questions about life elsewhere in the cosmos. "The next question is why haven't they visited us?"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/21/cosmic-count-50-billion-planets-milky-way/#ixzz1EpqkFjwi

50 billion...if thats accurate just imagine the possibilities.

Schrade said:
This is so awesome. I downloaded the entire 550 meg TIF image and scrolled around in it. Man, so beautiful.

Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/archives/341-Nearside-Spectacular!.html

Zoomable Image: http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/wac_nearside

1400x1400 image with labels of the different areas on the moon: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/uploads/lroc_wac_nearside_noslew_anot.png

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/02/22/the-extraordinary-face-of-the-moon/

Alright, this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. On the maria parts of the lunar surface, you can faintly make out longitudinal lines. Is this due to the camera stitching photos together, or does the lunar surface really look like that? If it does, is there a particular reason why those lines exist?

Summary: What are those vertical lines on the moon?

fallout

Summary Man said:
Alright, this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. On the maria parts of the lunar surface, you can faintly make out longitudinal lines. Is this due to the camera stitching photos together, or does the lunar surface really look like that? If it does, is there a particular reason why those lines exist?

Summary: What are those vertical lines on the moon?
If you look at the zoomable one and zoom in as far as you can go, you'll notice that the lines are seemingly caused by different brightness levels. So yes, I would guess that it's due to stitching photos together that were taken when the Sun was causing different levels of brightness on the surface. Why only vertical stripes? Probably due to how the LRO was orbiting the Moon.

GroteSmurf said:
You can also go to http://twisst.nl/what-is-twisst and follow them on twitter. You'll get a msg when the ISS is passing you. The direction, angle and brightness is also mentioned.
Neat stuff!

Dynoro

Machado said:
stupid question:

where is the Voyager now? any link? pic?
Info here - its about 116AU away from Earth atm

Solar_Wind_Decline_s.jpg

Naked Snake said:
Can we still communicate with these far out probes? How long does the signal take? How are they fueled?

Barely. 16+hr time to receive a signal from Voyager 1 via a high gain antenna.

Each probe has a nuclear-electric power system (plutonium battery, basically) that degrades in output over time. I think the probes also have solar panels but they are effectively useless at their current distance. NASA has been slowly and systematically shutting down components to save on energy. I think V1 will be scientifically dead by 2025 but I'm not sure if that precludes thrusters or the antenna.

Prez

What is the picture taken furthest away from earth by these probes? Is it the pale blue dot or have any pictures been taken further away?

McNei1y

Duracelllll said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VY_Canis_Majoris:
...if Earth's Sun were replaced by VY Canis Majoris, its radius might extend beyond the orbit of Saturn (about 9 AU).

Sweet. They put a comparison in simple terms :p That's pretty frickin big.

Clevinger said:
We're still going to be sending machines out to explore for us.

Well yeah but manned missions have always been amazing to me (and I'm sure billions of others). As a child space seemed so cool to me (it still is) and it seemed the it thing in the 90s era was manned missions. I always wanted to see a man on mars or a man on the moon in my time but now it seems that may be unlikely.

(This also means the chances of finding the Prothean technology on Mars will never happen.)
:(

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Stabbie said:
What is the picture taken furthest away from earth by these probes? Is it the pale blue dot or have any pictures been taken further away?
It's the pale blue dot, yeah. Feel free to make a picture taken even further away though!

McNei1y said:
Well yeah but manned missions have always been amazing to me (and I'm sure billions of others). As a child space seemed so cool to me (it still is) and it seemed the it thing in the 90s era was manned missions. I always wanted to see a man on mars or a man on the moon in my time but now it seems that may be unlikely.

(This also means the chances of finding the Prothean technology on Mars will never happen.)
:(

space is still rather romantic for modern folk, so a maned space mission to another body could easily gain traction amongst the public

There hasn't been any "exploring" manned missioned since going to the Moon. If exploring is what you want, then sending machines to do it for us will remain the only viable option for a while. Except for sending men to the Moon again I guess.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Teh Hamburglar said:
50 billion...if thats accurate just imagine the possibilities.
500 million is the more important number there.

still amazing though. 500 million planets that could support life.... just in ONE galaxy. FIVE HUNDRED MILLION. there are HUNDREDS of BILLIONS of galaxies.

so lets give an arbitrary percent chance of life actually spawning on these "goldilocks planets" (not too cold, not too hot, just right). say.... a conservative estimate of 0.01%. that means that there could be 500 planets in our galaxy that can support life.

now remember there are HUNDREDS of BILLIONS of galaxies.

seriously. the universe must be literally teeming with life.

however keep in mind that I'm assuming ANY life, even the most primitive, like bacteria. as far as the chance for INTELLIGENT life to exist you have to refer to the Drake Equation, which currently estimates 2-3 detectable intelligent life forms in our galaxy (i'm not sure if that includes humans). again, remember that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies... if each galaxy spawned just one intelligent life form, that means there's hundreds of billions of civilisations out there.

there could potentially be more intelligent races in the universe than there are PEOPLE on EARTH. it's really impossible to comprehend fully.

Naked Snake said:
There hasn't been any "exploring" manned missioned since going to the Moon. If exploring is what you want, then sending machines to do it for us will remain the only viable option for a while. Except for sending men to the Moon again I guess.

it's the romance that appeals to people. "the first time man stepped on another planet" is much more flavorful than "3rd rover ands on Mars" or whatever.

McNei1y

From The Dust said:
it's the romance that appeals to people. "the first time man stepped on another planet" is much more flavorful than "3rd rover ands on Mars" or whatever.

This. Just think about that. Man finally stepping on one of the other planets in our solar system. That's a big effing deal right there. Like 1969 was for that era, that would be for us. Saying I lived to see that time would be a great achievement IMO.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
From the discovering of numbers, the complex math, the invention of technology, to the age of our universe to.........................
... the nature of reality through all of its dimensions

Deku

Banned
McNei1y said:
This. Just think about that. Man finally stepping on one of the other planets in our solar system. That's a big effing deal right there. Like 1969 was for that era, that would be for us. Saying I lived to see that time would be a great achievement IMO.

There are also a lot of limitations on robotic explorers. A human can probably explore, in a week, what it took the rovers a year to explore.

And because each mission must pack a tool kit, experiments that try to detect life, like the one in Viking, remain half completed and contested, even if some scientific consensus has grown around the 'no life' theory.

There's really no good argument against not sending a geologist and astrobiologist to Mars when we can afford to do it.

Darklord

Banned
I thought I'd ask in here seeing as it's space related(and this is where all the nerds are :) ). I always wanted to get a telescope. Anyone here have one and any tips on what to look for or avoid when buying one? I want a good one, not a $4000 one but I'll fork out a bit.

I watched that Morgan Freeman show about space last night - particularly the episode about black holes and just trying to comprehend them, and event horizon, and virtual particles, and reality being three dimensional AND a holographic skin ... I needed the Eric Wareheim head exploding .gif

Darklord

Banned
Maklershed said:
I watched that Morgan Freeman show about space last night - particularly the episode about black holes and just trying to comprehend them, and event horizon, and virtual particles, and reality being three dimensional AND a holographic skin ... I needed the Eric Wareheim head exploding .gif

What was the shows name?

It's either Into the Wormhole or Through the Wormhole. Its a series on The Science Channel. There was also an episode about how life got started and what life is and about the possibility of God existing. Pretty interesting stuff.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
One of the Wonders of the Solar System episodes last night was about the the sun, and it was beautiful. In particular, the way Dr. Rockstar Cox showed the distance of earth from the sun using a zippo and a marshmallow (or something), then driving a mile or so away and standing about where the oort (sp?) cloud would be was just absolutely jaw dropping.

Then they had a beautiful render of how the cloud would look, like a teeny little invisible glass cloak around our star. Just breathtaking.

<3

PantherLotus said:
One of the Wonders of the Solar System episodes last night was about the the sun, and it was beautiful. In particular, the way Dr. Rockstar Cox showed the distance of earth from the sun using a zippo and a marshmallow (or something), then driving a mile or so away and standing about where the oort (sp?) cloud would be was just absolutely jaw dropping.

Then they had a beautiful render of how the cloud would look, like a teeny little invisible glass cloak around our star. Just breathtaking.

<3

That's the first episode. There are five.

Top Bottom