• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

UrbanRats said:
It's strange, my brain it's having an hard time considering that "real".
Same here, I had to keep reminding myself that it's not CGI.

Also...

Messenger spacecraft to orbit Mercury Thursday

Fifteen years of planning and 6 1/2 years of maneuvering in space will all come down to the crunch Thursday [March 17] evening as mission managers in Maryland try to slip NASA's Messenger spacecraft into orbit around Mercury.

The braking maneuver, playing out 96 million miles from Earth, will have to slow the desk-size planetary probe by 1,929 mph and ease it into a polar orbit around the planet closest to the sun.

Failure will leave Messenger's managers at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab near Laurel with less than 10 percent of the fuel the craft left Earth with, and limited options for recovery. And that would put the primary goal of the $446 million mission at risk.

But success will open the doors to at least a year of scientific discovery, yielding close-up, high-definition images, maps and data from a planet that until now has only been observed from Earth or during high-speed flybys. Those earlier visits were by Mariner 10 in 1974 and 1975, and by Messenger in 2008 and 2009.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
awesomeapproved said:
When We Left Earth - The NASA Missions (series) - A+++++++ Best series I know of. Very, very serious tone. Dark, almost.

Some kind soul uploaded the whole series on YouTube.

Amazing.

I was left speechless after watching it.

Amir0x

Banned
UrbanRats said:

Seriously. My jaw was on the fucking floor, holy SHIT. That must be like what a religious experience is.

expy

Banned
Kind of surreal when you see Cassini fly through the rings.... To think that they found a spot where there would be practically nothing that could damage the craft as if traversed.

expy said:
Kind of surreal when you see Cassini fly through the rings.... To think that they found a spot where there would be practically nothing that could damage the craft as if traversed.

Its shields were up.

Alucrid

Banned
UrbanRats said:

I know what you mean. Despite just seeing what it looked like...I'm still having a hard time imagine what it looks like. It's so surreal, especially when it goes through the rings. Whaaaat?

Zophar

expy said:
Space is pretty huge and on that scale the matter density I'd wager is pretty insignificant.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Not sure whether you guys are trolling. Regardless:
It's not an actual flythrough, obviously. It's super-hires photos being moved around, zoomed, distorted.

Hootie

wolfmat said:
It's not an actual flythrough, obviously. It's super-hires photos being moved around, zoomed, distorted.

sCFLu.jpg

KScorp

wolfmat said:

Yep. Take a picture of a wall, upload it into your computer, and just zoom past the wall to see what's on the other side.

It's troll physics waiting to happen.

Lime

Horsebite said:
UNBELIEVABLY amazing video created by NASA using only Cassini images, no 3D models, no CGI.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/11386048

I admit I teared up, once the full resolution started around the 57sec mark. Jaw hit the floor. Watch in full-screen + HD.

lol @ 0:54 Somebody played Homeworld :D

Is this in any downloadable form perhaps? Or should I just use a general flash download plugin?

Sirius

Horsebite said:
UNBELIEVABLY amazing video created by NASA using only Cassini images, no 3D models, no CGI.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/11386048

I admit I teared up, once the full resolution started around the 57sec mark. Jaw hit the floor. Watch in full-screen + HD.
'Tis amazing, but only Saturn there seems to be from the original Cassini snaps. The credits reveal that the rings are unfortunately composite additions. Great work nonetheless.

fallout

Machado said:
do we even have contact with those probes?
Pioneer 10: Last contact was January 23, 2003.
Pioneer 11: Last contact was September 20, 1995.
Voyager 1: Still in contact. Was successfully commanded to reorient itself on March 8, 2011 (i.e., 9 days ago).
Voyager 2: Still in contact. Engineers corrected a data packet issue by flipping a bit on May 24, 2010.

Further reading:
Voyager Mission Weekly Reports
Pioneer Anomaly

FYI: It take something like 13 hours for Voyager 2 to receive a signal from Earth.

ianp622

epmode said:
That would be me? I was under the impression that Homeworld had an original score. Adagio For Strings, I guess.
Don't worry, Lime too :)

A lot of classical music is public domain, but performances of it are not usually. So the Homeworld developers had someone perform it (if that's the source used in the video).

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Teh Hamburglar said:
Looks like Mercury now has an artificial satellite. Messenger safely entered into its 12 hour orbit and is now taking readings from the planet.

Also, in other news, a methane storm has been detected on Saturn's moon, Titan.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110317-TitanPhoto-hmed-0145p.grid-6x2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
yeah, it's pretty awesome. it was interesting to learn about Titan has a methanological cycle, compared to Earth's hydrological cycle on Wonders of the Solar System.

Just saw this on CNN.com

If the moon looks a little bit bigger and brighter this weekend, there's a reason for that. It is.

Saturday's full moon will be a super "perigee moon" -- the biggest in almost 20 years. This celestial event is far rarer than the famed blue moon, which happens once about every two-and-a-half years.

"The last full moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," said Geoff Chester with the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. "I'd say it's worth a look."

Maklershed said:
Just saw this on CNN.com

If the moon looks a little bit bigger and brighter this weekend, there's a reason for that. It is.

Saturday's full moon will be a super "perigee moon" -- the biggest in almost 20 years. This celestial event is far rarer than the famed blue moon, which happens once about every two-and-a-half years.

"The last full moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," said Geoff Chester with the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. "I'd say it's worth a look."

I wonder if we also have stronger tides now that it is closer to earth.

fallout

Powdered Toastman said:
I wonder if we also have stronger tides now that it is closer to earth.
Yes, although the higher tides will actually be due to the line up of the Sun with the perigee of the Moon (it's closest approach to Earth).

Remember that the Moon gets close to Earth once every month, and it has a closest approach once every year. The only thing somewhat special about this is the full Moon, which just means that the Sun, Earth and Moon are all in a nice line and the Moon is at its closest approach.

This explains it in a bit more detail: http://earthsky.org/tonight/high-tide-alert-closest-full-moon-of-2011-on-march-19

Pics just because I like looking at 'em.

Andromeda galaxy as seen through infrared light

z1w4g.jpg

Two galaxies that have passed by each other once and will continue their "dance" until they finally merge into one galaxy.

6aNV2.jpg

The Orion nebula

ruhNP.jpg

Sauron's eye or cosmic goatse or sunspot?

fRTJG.jpg

Whirlpool galaxy (color corrected to emphasize star forming activity)

CNUFl.jpg

Shadows of Saturn

Koqvg.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looking at the Orion nebula with binoculars is an incredibly humbling experience. I imagine it would be moreso with a powerful telescope.

Top Bottom