• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Melchiah

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/03/giant-chamber-o.php
Giant chamber on the moon discovered, perfect for a future base

z06kY.jpg

The Indian Space Research Organization has discovered a massive underground chamber near the moon's equator, one that would be perfect for housing a moon base. A moon base!

Discovered by the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, this chamber is more than one mile long and 393 feet wide. There would be lots of benefits of building a moon base in there, mainly for protection from the nastiness of the surface of the moon. It'd provide a nearly constant temperature of -4 degrees Fahrenheit, unlike the surface, which fluctuates between 266 degrees and -292 degrees. And it would provide protection from radiation, micro-meteor impacts and dust.

fallout

Darklord said:
I thought I'd ask in here seeing as it's space related(and this is where all the nerds are :) ). I always wanted to get a telescope. Anyone here have one and any tips on what to look for or avoid when buying one? I want a good one, not a $4000 one but I'll fork out a bit.
Um, my first suggestion would be to get out with a pair of binoculars. You'd be surprised at what you can see just with them. It will also help you to learn the sky. Astronomy can be an incredibly frustrating, especially with larger telescopes, so diving in without knowing much can really turn people off the hobby.

If you're really set on diving in, though (it's rare that I'm able to talk people out of it), go for a Dobsonian telescope. They're affordable and relatively easy to use.

Also, check your local area for astronomy clubs. Many of them are geared to helping out newcomers. For instance, our own club has a scope-loaner program.

Darklord

Banned
fallout said:
Um, my first suggestion would be to get out with a pair of binoculars. You'd be surprised at what you can see just with them. It will also help you to learn the sky. Astronomy can be an incredibly frustrating, especially with larger telescopes, so diving in without knowing much can really turn people off the hobby.

If you're really set on diving in, though (it's rare that I'm able to talk people out of it), go for a Dobsonian telescope. They're affordable and relatively easy to use.

Also, check your local area for astronomy clubs. Many of them are geared to helping out newcomers. For instance, our own club has a scope-loaner program.

I've actually used binoculars but they are so shaky(I guess I could use a stand but...whatever), and I never thought they were THAT good. I mean the moons looks great but that's kinda it. I've heard with telescopes you can see things like the rings of Saturn and a lot of galaxies, ect. That's what I want to see.

fallout

Darklord said:
I've actually used binoculars but they are so shaky(I guess I could use a stand but...whatever), and I never thought they were THAT good. I mean the moons looks great but that's kinda it. I've heard with telescopes you can see things like the rings of Saturn and a lot of galaxies, ect. That's what I want to see.
Well, in a dark sky, you can see the Andromeda galaxy with binoculars and it actually looks kind of neat (in fact, you can see it with your naked eye). I guess it's partially about knowing which objects to look for.

I'm partially concerned that astronomy may not offer the views you are looking for, but if you're really curious, I still suggest the following:

1. Check your area for local astronomy clubs.
  2. These astronomy clubs tend to host Star Parties, which can be a great way to learn.
  3. Short of spending a good chunk of money on a fancy go-to scope, a dobsonian is the best bang for your buck when it comes to telescope size (i.e., light gathering capability).

Can anyone recommend some good science/space documentaries? I've watched Cosmos, Wonders of the Solar System, Through the Wormhole... A couple with Jim Al-Khalili that I really enjoyed. I often find ones about space that seem really interesting always have these really dramatic tones with generic history channel-like voiceovers... anything a little more serious in tone?

/XX/

Remember that tomorrow at 21:00 GMT on BBC Two and BBC HD starts the new documental series presented by Professor Brian Cox; Wonders of the Universe, with its first episode (from a total of 4) titled 'Destiny':

Wonders of the Universe said:
Having explored the wonders of the solar system, Professor Brian Cox steps boldly on to an even bigger stage - the universe.

Who are we? Where do we come from? For thousands of years humanity has turned to religion and myth for answers to these enduring questions. But in this series, Brian presents a different set of answers - answers provided by science.

In this episode, Brian seeks to understand the nature of time and its role in creating both the universe and ourselves. From an extraordinary calendar built into the landscape of Peru to the beaches of Costa Rica, Brian explores the cycles of time which define our experience of life on Earth. But even the most epic cycles of life can't begin to compare to the vast expanse of cosmic time.

For instance, just as the Earth orbits the Sun, the solar system orbits the entire Milky Way galaxy. This orbit takes a staggering 250 million years to complete.
Ultimately, Brian discovers that time is not characterised by repetition but by irreversible change. From the relentless march of a glacier, to the decay of an old mining town, the ravaging effects of time are all around us. The vast universe is subject to these same laws of change. As we look out to the cosmos, we can see the story of its evolution unfold, from the death of the first stars to the birth of the youngest. This journey from birth to death will ultimately lead to the destruction not just of our planet, but also the entire universe, and with it the end of time itself.

Yet without this inevitable destruction, the universe would be without what is perhaps the greatest wonder of all; the brief moment in time in which life can exist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zf9dh

A hardcover book from this series is already available for purchase at BBC Shop, it is also possible to pre-order now the DVD & Blu-ray as a standalone or in a pack with Wonders of the Solar System included:

http://www.bbcshop.com/icat/wonders

Wonders of the Universe, Series Trailer - BBC Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTP9WQJBIXA

Neverender said:
Can anyone recommend some good science/space documentaries? I've watched Cosmos, Wonders of the Solar System, Through the Wormhole... A couple with Jim Al-Khalili that I really enjoyed. I often find ones about space that seem really interesting always have these really dramatic tones with generic history channel-like voiceovers... anything a little more serious in tone?
Psssssst. Hey. Over here...
I am mostly with you. If they get too new-age or too super-theoretical, I lose interest. I was really looking forward to "Through the Wormhole". It fell flat, for me.

This will not happen in any of these (at least not enough to bother me and I'm a real bitch):

Title - Grade

The Planets (series) - A+

Life Beyond Earth - A

When We Left Earth - The NASA Missions (series) - A+++++++ Best series I know of. Very, very serious tone. Dark, almost.

The Wonder of It All - A

The Universe (series) - A++

All of those, except for the 5th disk/season of The Universe are streaming on Netflix, right now. And they are:

1. Serious in narrator tone **
2. Of high quality
3. Doing their best with the video & imaging equipment/technology available to them when they were made *

Footnotes:
* Only The Planets is a little bit dated looking now. But I would so much rather watch a grainy, cruddy, but REAL capture of a storm on Jupiter than early CG, maybe any CG, and definitely any cartoon. If you watch a lot of these you've surely seen the cartoon ones.

**I need to watch it again but I could have sworn The Wonder of It All was just a little bit less technical than the others - without a doubt it is not as technical as When We Left Earth. Nothing I've seen is as good as When We Left Earth "The Shuttle", "Friends and Rivals" and "A Home In Space". In The Wonder of It All, I remember one part where a big, key Apollo Mission Astronaut says that Moon soil/dirt/gravel/dust is so fine that it passes through the pressure suit and some other stuff. I thought - !!!?W0W?!!! - how can that be? I thought they all were using partial shell suits by then, with liquid coolant and with a heat exchanger (which is basically like a radiator, but for marine applications and space suits apparently). I want to say the lack of a really consistent overall narrator made it a tougher go. And people really rave about it by the way. They rave here, about it. It's excellent. I'm only sending you at the A & A+ material of course.

Enjoy.

awesomeapproved said:
Psssssst. Hey. Over here...
I am mostly with you. If they get too new-age or too super-theoretical, I lose interest. I was really looking forward to "Through the Wormhole". It fell flat, for me.

This will not happen in any of these (at least not enough to bother me and I'm a real bitch):

Title - Grade

Life Beyond Earth - A

When We Left Earth - The NASA Missions (series) - A+++++++ Best series I know of. Very, very serious tone. Dark, almost.

The Wonder of It All - A

All of those, except for the 5th disk/season of The Universe are streaming on Netflix, right now. And they are:

1. Serious in narrator tone **
2. Of high quality
3. Doing their best with the video & imaging equipment/technology available to them when they were made *

Footnotes:
* Only The Planets is a little bit dated looking now. But I would so much rather watch a grainy, cruddy, but REAL capture of a storm on Jupiter than early CG, maybe any CG, and definitely any cartoon. If you watch a lot of these you've surely seen the cartoon ones.

**I need to watch it again but I could have sworn The Wonder of It All was just a little bit less technical than the others - without a doubt it is not as technical as When We Left Earth. Nothing I've seen is as good as When We Left Earth "The Shuttle", "Friends and Rivals" and "A Home In Space". In The Wonder of It All, I remember one part where a big, key Apollo Mission Astronaut says that Moon soil/dirt/gravel/dust is so fine that it passes through the pressure suit and some other stuff. I thought - !!!?W0W?!!! - how can that be? I thought they all were using partial shell suits by then, with liquid coolant and with a heat exchanger (which is basically like a radiator, but for marine applications and space suits apparently). I want to say the lack of a really consistent overall narrator made it a tougher go. And people really rave about it by the way. They rave here, about it. It's excellent. I'm only sending you at the A & A+ material of course.

Enjoy.
Thanks so much. I will check out all of these.

Harry_Tequila said:
Really fantastic episode of Wonders of the Universe. I think I said 'Wow' out loud at least four or five times.

Damn so does the US get this? I guess only if you have BBC. Usually "Wonders of the Solar System" is aired on the Science channel but I guess I'll miss this until the bluray.

antbot89

Neo Member
Absolutely love anything to do with space to be honest. Their are just so many unanswered questions its unreal. I really do wish that at some point humanity put more emphasis on space exploration as in my personal opinion, whilst there is still places to be explored on earth, there is going to come a point where venturing into space is going to be inevitable for humanity. We just do not have the resources on earth to cope with the population rate increases. I highly doubt i will ever see this in my lifetime however.

awesomeapproved said:

Life Beyond Earth - A

The Wonder of It All - A

Thanks for the reccomendations bro, will have to check them out

Clevinger said:
This is awesome.

Cameras on Discovery's rockets and other parts as it launches. Sound kicks in later, probably 10+ minutes in.

When they break apart. :eek:

Holy shit this is amazing. Watching the first rocket fall into the ocean was incredible. The third camera (the one with the sound) floating in space over the Earth is almost 2001 levels of awesome, then you see the other rocket floating in the distance, then the smoke trail from the launch, WOW! *goes back to watching*

Memphis Reigns said:
Damn so does the US get this? I guess only if you have BBC. Usually "Wonders of the Solar System" is aired on the Science channel but I guess I'll miss this until the bluray.

Quick Google search doesn't return much hope, looks like you might have to wait for the Blu-ray. It's released on April 4th though so you wont have too long to wait.

Deku

Banned
jiggle said:
The Universe is a can't miss!

is the show canceled or what?

I tried to watch it, it felt so dumbed down with a lot of filler material. Each episode appear to repeat a lot of information, I assume because they need to recap viewers after lengthy commercial breaks.

And after the first few seasons, it delved into increasingly speculative topics that were commercially interesting, like aliens.

Here are some good BBC episodes dealing with Space.

Prof. Brian Cox - Wonders of the Solar System

Horizon: Can we Make a Star on Earth?

Horizon: To Infinity and Beyond

Horizon: Is Everything we know about the Universe Wrong?

antbot89

Neo Member
Also, i do not know if anyone has mentioned this so sorry if its repeat info but a new series of Wonders of the Solar System was broadcast tonight (Sunday March 6th) on BBC.

Its on iplayer now for anyone who can access it. I have no doubt it will be on youtube or something of the like in the next few days though

Deku said:
I tried to watch it, it felt so dumbed down with a lot of filler material. Each episode appear to repeat a lot of information, I assume because they need to recap viewers after lengthy commercial breaks.

And after the first few seasons, it delved into increasingly speculative topics that were commercially interesting, like aliens.

Here are some good BBC episodes dealing with Space.

]

They ran out of material fast. After season 2 they started to get into really weird hypothetical issues like "How many ways can the earth die?" or "Most dangerous places in the universe"

700th episode of The Sky At Night right now.
Patrick Moore has met Orville Wright, Yuri Gagarin & Neil Armstrong. First flight to the Moon in one lifetime.

Clevinger

I never knew about this, but it's really, really cool.

There's this foundation called the X Prize Foundation which is going to give a $20 million prize to the first private company who sends a rover to the Moon. They had a previous competition where they gave so many million to the first private inventor of a working sub-orbital plane, which Virgin Galactic began using as a base for their own space tourism.

Anyways, only a few of the companies participating seem serious and viable, with one looking really good named Astrobotic. Just recently they booked a flight on one of SpaceX's rockets to get their rover to the moon. The deadline for the prize is 2015.

I've also been reading a lot about the smaller companies like Armadillo Aerospace (John Carmack's company) and all the progress they've made recently. It's pretty exciting.

I just watched the first episode of the Wonders of the Universe.

What a disappointment, I was really looking forward to it as well. They have taken science out of the series which they managed to avoid doing in the first series Wonders of the Solar System.

Ark

zomgbbqftw said:
I just watched the first episode of the Wonders of the Universe.

What a disappointment, I was really looking forward to it as well. They have taken science out of the series which they managed to avoid doing in the first series Wonders of the Solar System.

It felt more focused on Earth than the universe. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy or learn anything ;).

Clevinger

Is it just me, or were there not half (or even a quarter) as many shots of Brian Cox looking thoughtfully at something/walking around in Wonders of the Solar System?

I laughed when he was hovering over the poor turtle who was trying to give birth.

Saturn's ice-shrouded moon Enceladus is pumping out more heat from its southern pole than all the hot springs at Yellowstone, and scientists are at a loss to explain it.

110310-SaturnMoonPhoto-hmed-1230p.grid-6x2.jpg

The prodigious outpouring of energy significantly boosts the likelihood that an ocean of liquid is sealed beneath the moon's icy surface. Water, in turn, is considered a key ingredient for life.

The new data isn't enough to nail down how large an ocean might exist on Enceladus, or its location beneath the ice.

It does, however, make computer models hard to explain if Enceladus lacks liquid water, lead researcher Carly Howett of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., told Discovery News.

For a long time, scientists thought tidal interactions with neighbor satellites and Saturn would account for about 1.1 gigawatts of energy pumping out of Enceladus. Heat from the natural decay of radioactive materials inside the moon would add another 0.3 gigawatts.
New research from the Cassini spacecraft, however, shows Enceladus is giving off closer to 14 gigawatts.

"This is a huge amount of energy that we don't understand," Howett said.

Scientists have known since 2005 that the southern polar region of Enceladus is geologically active, with the hub of activity centered on four 80-mile long, one-mile wide trenches, known as "tiger stripes." Huge plumes of ice particles and water vapor, sprinkled with organic particles, are shooting out into space from the fissures.

"The whole water thing, the eruption of the water is fascinating," Cassini scientist John Pearl of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland told Discovery News. "It's the plumes that give you an awful lot of information about the possibility of an ocean. There's some source of energy that's driving these things."

Scientists theorize Enceladus' excess heat may be because the moon used to be in a different orbit that generated a fiercer gravitational tug-of-war with neighboring moons. Energy that built up in the past may be being released now.

No matter what the cause, the realization that the icy moon is pumping out as much heat as 20 coal-fired powered plants has scientists thinking.

"It's clear that whatever is producing the heat, Enceladus meets many requirements for life,"
Cassini scientist Larry Esposito, with the University of Colorado at Boulder, writes in Astrobiology magazine. "We know it has a liquid ocean, organics and an energy source. And to top it off, we know of organisms on Earth in similar environments."

"This result indicates episodic heating of the moon. The larger heat flow means it is easier to melt water below the surface, but Enceladus may freeze up in between. The implications are therefore mixed for life," Esposito wrote in an e-mail to Discovery News.

"When you look at things like the deep water vents, you can't help but think that something like this is going on on Enceladus," added Howett. "Why not? We see organics, high heat flows. We can postulate until kingdom come, but until we actually go there and have a look we're not going to know."

The research is published in the March 4 issue of Journal of Geophysical Research.

pb-110309-sun-10a.photoblog900.jpg

This section of the solar disk was imaged at the Winter Star Party on West Summerland Key in Florida, in the midst of 30 mph winds. The massive detached solar prominence was visible for hours. Skies were quite steady, despite the wind.

To add some perspective on the sheer magnitude of what Friedman is documenting, look at the dark spot below the prominence. That spot is roughly twice the size of the Earth.

Using the same specialized equipment he used in October 2010 to produce the last set of breathtaking images, Friedman looks at the deep red end of the light spectrum to capture the emissions given off by hydrogen gas in the sun's atmosphere.

He also came away with a historic glimpse of Discovery as it was docked to the International Space Station, during the space shuttle's final mission.

Friedman said he captured the event, lasting just a fifth of a second, after making an 1,800-mile drive from Buffalo, N.Y., to the Winter Star Party in West Summerland Key, Fla.
He went to the Florida gathering "for the steady skies, warm temperatures and the company of good astronomy friends." But when he learned that the International Space Station would cross paths with the sun, and that the sight would be visible 20 miles north of where the star party was being held, he felt compelled to document the flyover.

"I jumped into the car with solar imaging gear, and we got set up just in time to catch it." he said. "I underestimated the narrowness of this event. We were about 5,000 feet south of the centerline in a good location... another 500 feet and we would have missed it entirely. Lucky day!"

pb-110309-sun2-10a.photoblog900.jpg

Silhouetted by the sun, the space shuttle Discovery can be seen docked to the International Space Station during its final mission.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/09/6228167-stunning-views-of-the-sun-and-discovery

Feel like I'm spamming Space thread but theres a lot of cool stuff being captured!

110310-DyingStarPhoto-hmed-0905p.grid-6x2.jpg

This image from the Hubble Space Telescope shows the Westbrook Nebula. The odd bundle of jets and clouds results from a burst of activity late in the life of a star. As its core runs out of nuclear fuel, the star’s outer layers puff out toxic gases such as carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.

A dying star has been spotted coughing up a toxic mix of gases in a spectacular new photo from the Hubble Space Telescope.

The newly released image shows the Westbrook Nebula, also known as PK166-06, CRL 618 and AFGL 618. The star at the nebula's core is running out of nuclear fuel, and as a result the star’s unstable outer layers are puffing out a variety of nasty gases, including carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide, researchers said.

At the moment, the Westbrook Nebula is what scientists call a protoplanetary nebula. As the star at the nebula's heart evolves further, it will turn into a hot, white dwarf. The gas around it will become a glowing planetary nebula, then eventually disperse, researchers said.

Planetary nebulas have nothing to do with planets. The term was coined by famed astronomer Sir William Herschel to describe objects that appeared to have circular, planet-like shapes when viewed through early telescopes.

Because the protoplanetary-nebula stage is a relatively brief phase in a star's life, only a few hundred of the structures are known in the Milky Way, researchers said.

Protoplanetary nebulas are relatively cool objects, and as a result emit little visible light. This makes them very faint, posing challenges to scientists who hope to study them.
What the new Hubble picture shows, therefore, is a composite image representing the different tricks that astronomers used to unravel what's going on within this strange nebula, researchers said.

The image includes exposures in visible wavelengths, showing light reflected from the cloud of gas. These are combined with other exposures in the near-infrared range of the spectrum, showing the dim glow coming from different elements deep in the cloud itself.
Prepping the view

One of the nebula’s names, AFGL 618, comes from its discovery by a precursor to the Hubble Space Telescope. The letters stand for the Air Force Geophysics Laboratory, which launched a series of suborbital rockets carrying infrared telescopes in the 1970s, researchers said.

These observatories cataloged hundreds of objects that were impossible or difficult to observe from the ground. In some respects, the airborne telescopes were a proof of concept for later orbital infrared astronomical facilities, including Hubble and the European Space Agency’s Herschel Space Observatory.

This image was prepared from many separate exposures taken using Hubble’s newest camera, the Wide Field Camera 3. Exposures through a green filter were colored blue, those through a yellow/orange filter were colored green, and exposures through a filter that isolates the glow from ionized nitrogen were colored red, researchers said.
Images through filters that capture the glows from singly and doubly ionized sulfur are also shown in red. The total exposure times were about nine minutes through each filter, and the field of view is about 20 arcseconds across, researchers said.

Does anybody know when the next great comet will be visible by the naked eye? I remember seeing Comet Hyukatake back in 1996 I believe and was flabbergasted. Really would like another experience like that.

Not to be outdone by the Keck II telescope in Hawaii, NASA's infrared Spitzer Space Telescope may have discovered a brown dwarf even cooler than the brown dwarf Discovery News reported on last week.

Keck spotted "CFBDSIR J1458+1013B," a brown dwarf 75 light-years from Earth with a mass of six to 15 times that of Jupiter, and from observations realized that this very dim object must have a temperature of less than 212 Fahrenheit — about as hot as boiling water.

This discovery has very important ramifications for star and planetary physics, because a brown dwarf is neither a star or a planet, it is an object that bridges the gap between planets and stars. For this reason, and because brown dwarfs do not possess enough mass to sustain nuclear fusion in their cores, that they are often dubbed "failed stars."

So, the potential Spitzer discovery of an "ultra-cold" brown dwarf has excited scientists even more. Spitzer's candidate brown dwarf, detected 63 light-years from Earth with a mass of about seven times the mass of Jupiter, appears to have a temperature of 86 F! This "room temperature" brown dwarf is called "WD 0806-661B."

Interestingly, WD 0806-661B orbits a white dwarf star (called, unsurprisingly, WD 0806-661) and could be considered an exoplanet. But it orbits at a huge distance: 2,500 AU — or 2,500 times the distance between the sun and Earth. For it to be a planet, it would need to be orbiting far, far closer to the white dwarf.

However, there is another possibility. This white dwarf star was once a star two-times the mass of our sun. White dwarfs are what remains of an old star after it has run out of fuel and died.

Indeed, our sun has a similar fate in about 4 billion years. After it has run out of hydrogen fuel, puffed up as an angry "red giant" and swallowed the Earth as it expands, our red giant sun will eject its outer layers, leaving a white dwarf shining in the core of the resulting "planetary nebula."

Models predict that once the sun has shed huge quantities of mass after its red giant phase, the remaining planets of the solar systems will drift into wider orbits. Is this what happened to WD 0806-661B? Was it once a very massive planet orbiting a star twice the mass of the sun? Further measurements of the object are obviously needed.

The discoveries of CFBDSIR J1458+1013B and WD 0806-661B (if it is indeed a brown dwarf) are unprecedented; they could represent a population of low-temperature brown dwarfs that have more "planet-like" than "star-like" characteristics.

Science editor Alan Boyle's Weblog: Seismic experts have long known that Japan’s complex undersea fault system can unleash great waves, but this one was the most violent tsunami waves to hit the nation in the past century.

They are so cool, in fact, that water vapor in their atmospheres could condense to form clouds of water droplets. Brown dwarfs that are capable of this belong to a specific "Y"-class family of these objects. Y-class brown dwarfs have only been theorized, but these two new discoveries are prime Y-class candidates.

110314-BrownDwarfPhoto-hmed-0215p.grid-6x2.jpg

Did anyone watch the second ep of Wonders of the Universe? Watched the first last week and it was nowhere near as good as Solar System. The segment about the ancient calendar structures seemed straight out of Cosmos. He even had a bit about the Pale Blue Dot photo at the end... I know that photo can't be entirely credited to Carl Sagan but Cox didn't even mention his name. Anyway, was the second ep better?

Clevinger

Neverender said:
Did anyone watch the second ep of Wonders of the Universe? Watched the first last week and it was nowhere near as good as Solar System. The segment about the ancient calendar structures seemed straight out of Cosmos. He even had a bit about the Pale Blue Dot photo at the end... I know that photo can't be entirely credited to Carl Sagan but Cox didn't even mention his name. Anyway, was the second ep better?

Cox said on Twitter that Sagan was mentioned, but the editors cut it out.

I haven't seen the second ep yet, but I agree that the first ep of Universe didn't seem half as good as any from Solar System.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
The Big Rig said:
Saturn's moons are awesome.

Suck it Europa.
these are the things in our solar system that all space agencies on earth must make their priority to explore.... in no particular order:

Europa
Titan
Enceladus
Mars

owlbeak

LovingSteam said:
Does anybody know when the next great comet will be visible by the naked eye? I remember seeing Comet Hyukatake back in 1996 I believe and was flabbergasted. Really would like another experience like that.
Comet Elenin, August-October of this year. Apparently a once in an 11,100 year event.

Though I've also read that this comet may not even exist and other things about it passing within 250,000 of Earth with a possibility for collision, even though other calculations say 21 million miles (tinfoilhats). Comet was just discovered in December 2010 and apparently scientists don't really have its orbit tracked yet. It will pass within Earth's orbit, however.

But it sounds like it will be a great sight!

Top Bottom