• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

fallout

Saw this over at spaceweather.com:

Note to comets: Stay away from the sun. On Sept. 14th, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) watched what happened when one got too close.

One icy comet went in, none came out. Discovered on Sept. 13th by Michal Kusiak of Poland and Sergei Schmalz of Germany, the doomed comet was a member of the Kreutz family. Kreutz sungrazers are fragments from the breakup of a single giant comet many centuries ago. They get their name from 19th century German astronomer Heinrich Kreutz, who studied them in detail. Several Kreutz fragments pass by the sun and disintegrate every day. Most, measuring less than a few meters across, are too small to see, but occasionally a big fragment like this one attracts attention.

onelesscomet.gif

Yeah, that's definitely lightning. Things like this are part of the reason that I feel so lucky to be alive at this point in human history, in spite of anything else.

Regardless of whatever else we've done and no matter what happens from here on out, some day in the future it can be said that at least a few brave individuals among us were making the effort to lift the species above it's own limitations, and to broaden our perspective of what it is to be a living part of the universe.

Sometimes it's just important to see the world with new eyes, and to see that gravity is not the thing holding us down.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Yeah, that's definitely lightning. Things like this are part of the reason that I feel so lucky to be alive at this point in human history, in spite of anything else.

Regardless of whatever else we've done and no matter what happens from here on out, some day in the future it can be said that at least a few brave individuals among us were making the effort to lift the species above it's own limitations, and to broaden our perspective of what it is to be a living part of the universe.

Sometimes it's just important to see the world with new eyes, and to see that gravity is not the thing holding us down.

Should I ever come into possession of a jib, I'd like to have it cut in a style similar to your own.

Too many people lament over the unknown and fail to realize just how fortunate we are to be alive during a time that is teaming with beautiful/frightening/humbling/mind-blowing discoveries.

Hootie

It's been an honor to live during the Oil Age. There's a lot of fucked up shit going on in this world right now but there's also so much to be proud of and hopeful for in the future.

I'm sure every generation says this but it looks like we're living in very very interesting times, who the hell knows what lies ahead in the next century or two. Gonna be some big events going down for sure.

Let's just hope we don't kill ourselves off before we get to see these things happen.

Space GAF - is it possible I saw the ISS fly over this morning? It was about 5:55am EST in PA and I was facing south. I think it was heading north east. Whatever it was it was way too high and too fast to be a plane and it was way too slow to be a comet. I would've stood their and watched it more but I was standing outside in the pitch black and shit started to move in the woods (probably just a deer but you never know .. there have been bear and coyote in the area) so I got scared and hopped into my car quick.

McNei1y

Maklershed said:
Space GAF - is it possible I saw the ISS fly over this morning? It was about 5:55am EST in PA and I was facing south. I think it was heading north east. Whatever it was it was way too high and too fast to be a plane and it was way too slow to be a comet. I would've stood their and watched it more but I was standing outside in the pitch black and shit started to move in the woods (probably just a deer but you never know .. there have been bear and coyote in the area) so I got scared and hopped into my car quick.

I've read its possible to see it with the visible eye but I do not know if you can see it at any time or if the conditions have to be perfect. According to the ISS tracker, it flew directly over West Virginia and Virginia today but I do not know the time. Sorry if this doesn't help but just saying that its a possibility it may have been the ISS. I would like to know the specific details though if anyone else knows the answer.

fallout

Maklershed said:
Possible, but it might have been an hour off, according to this:

http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSu...ng=-75.19043&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=Indiana

I'm not too sure about your location/timezone. I approximated on the map.

Code:
Search period start: 	00:00 Monday, 19 September, 2011 	 
Search period end: 	00:00 Thursday, 29 September, 2011
Observer's location: 	Unspecified, 40.7306°N, 75.1904°W
Local time zone: 	Eastern Standard Time (UTC - 5:00)
Orbit: 	377 x 391 km, 51.6° (Epoch Sep 19)

Click on the date to get a star chart and other pass details.

Date	Mag	Starts	Max. altitude	Ends
Time	Alt.	Az.	Time	Alt.	Az.	Time	Alt.	Az.
19 Sep	-0.8	04:56:44	10	S 	04:59:03	19	SE 	05:01:22	10	E
21 Sep	-2.0	04:34:51	14	SSW	04:37:11	34	SE 	04:40:06	10	ENE
22 Sep	-0.7	03:38:47	15	SE 	03:38:47	15	SE 	03:40:26	10	E
22 Sep	-3.2	05:11:04	10	WSW	05:14:13	56	NNW	05:17:21	10	NE
23 Sep	-3.2	04:14:50	54	S 	04:15:18	64	SE 	04:18:27	10	ENE
24 Sep	-0.2	03:18:30	15	E 	03:18:30	15	E 	03:19:13	10	ENE
24 Sep	-2.4	04:50:45	20	W 	04:52:25	34	NNW	04:55:22	10	NE
25 Sep	-2.2	03:54:20	40	NE 	03:54:20	40	NE 	03:56:33	10	NE
25 Sep	-1.2	05:27:43	10	WNW	05:29:51	16	NNW	05:31:59	10	NNE
26 Sep	-1.8	04:30:03	23	NW 	04:30:35	24	NNW	04:33:15	10	NNE
27 Sep	-0.6	03:33:29	18	NE 	03:33:29	18	NE 	03:34:27	10	NE
27 Sep	-0.9	05:06:22	10	NW 	05:08:05	14	N 	05:09:49	10	NNE
28 Sep	-1.2	04:09:04	18	N 	04:09:04	18	N 	04:11:00	10	NNE

Septimius

Maklershed said:

Was it a single luminous dot? You're thinking meteor. You wouldn't be able to see a comet move. Anyway - there are about.. a gagillion satellites out there. On a clear night I can pretty much easily see 2 satellites on the sky at any given time if I search for them. They pretty much clear the visible sky in a minute or so, going at their 7 km/s speed. By the sounds of it, since you're comparing it to a meteor, it was likely a satellite. They appear as bright as stars but moving.

The chances that it was the ISS, even if it was the exact right time, is still very small.

It was up really high and it was a small, fairly dim pinpoint of light. I've seen the ISS (or at least I thought) go over head before and I remembered it being much brighter before so thats why I wasn't sure what I was seeing this time. I suppose it was just a satellite. Whatever it was it was cool to see.

And yes, I meant meteor before.

@fallout - I saw it at almost exactly 5:55am and I'm near Harrisburg, PA

Moon Bible goes on sale in auction

A rare Bible that's been to the moon and back will have a new owner Thursday night - the complete King James version, framed in gold leaf, is under the hammer at an auction house in New Hampshire.

But whoever takes it home won't be able to leaf through it. It's a piece of microfilm, with the text of 1,245 pages shrunken down to the size of a postage stamp.

"It's the whole King James (Bible) on there. It's really cool,"
says Bobby Livingston, vice president of sales and marketing at RR Auction, which is handling the sale.

The Bible was taken into space three times before it reached the lunar surface, he said - first on Apollo 12, when it was stored in the wrong part of the spaceship and orbited the moon, but didn't land on it, then on the ill-fated Apollo 13, which had an explosion on board that forced it to turn back, and finally on Apollo 14.

Lunar module pilot Edgar Mitchell brought 100 microfilmed copies of the Bible to the surface of the moon on February 5, 1971, Livingston said.

"Most of them were given away when they came back, or were cut into pieces as presentation pieces for dignitaries from the U.S. and from other states," Livingston explained. At least a dozen complete versions still exist.

Bringing a Bible to the moon had been a dream of a group of committed believers in the space program since the beginning of the Apollo mission efforts to reach the moon, said Carol Mersch, author of "The Apostles of Apollo."

"Through the centuries, explorers have carried the Bible across countries to far off lands, pushing the boundaries of exploration. It was not unnatural then that NASA chaplain John Stout and a group called The Apollo Prayer League would undertake a quest to see it carried to another celestial body," she said.

Apollo 1 astronaut Ed White wanted to bring the first Bible to the moon, but died in a fire on the launch pad, Mersch said.

"After his death, fellow astronauts and The Apollo Prayer League took up White's quest, so that, as Apollo 15 astronaut Jim Irwin said, 'those who came after would know that we came from a world of believers,'" Mersch told CNN.

Random question.

Is there literally no weight value in space, or is it just "virtually" no weight? Does it really come out to absolutely 0%, or is it one of those things where its .00000000000000001%? I was just curious...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
abstract alien said:
Random question.

Is there literally no weight value in space, or is it just "virtually" no weight? Does it really come out to absolutely 0%, or is it one of those things where its .00000000000000001%? I was just curious...

Weight is a product of two masses interacting. While space is not a true vaccumn (there's no place in space where a mass is not affecting some other mass on some infinitesimal scale), space itself doesn't have "weight" because space is really only the distance between objects. It's like asking how much an inch weighs.

PantherLotus said:
Weight is a product of two masses interacting. While space is not a true vaccumn (there's no place in space where a mass is not affecting some other mass on some infinitesimal scale), space itself doesn't have "weight" because space is really only the distance between objects. It's like asking how much an inch weighs.
Really great explanation, thanks.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Maklershed said:
Wow just amazing how small we are. And just think how different it would be to live on a planet like that. Even airplanes couldn't cut it for travel. It would take days and weeks to get anywhere by jet.
It would be quite difficult, especially considering there's no surface! :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
abstract alien said:
Really great explanation, thanks.

Hey, no problem -- and I definitely don't know that much so make sure to verify things like this. I will tell you questions just like yours is what keeps me awake at night.

PantherLotus said:
Hey, no problem -- and I definitely don't know that much so make sure to verify things like this. I will tell you questions just like yours is what keeps me awake at night.
One of the things that keeps me up at night(one of the horrifying thoughts anyway) is the fact that life has probably evolved on some planet 100x bigger than Earth...which could make them true giants by our standards. It's probably happened a million times by now, and I'm sure one of the civilizations was both fairly intelligent, and brutally aggressive. Like us :^/

When you throw Earth standards out the window(which you have to technically) shit just gets too out of control.
*shutters*

abstract alien said:
One of the things that keeps me up at night(one of the horrifying thoughts anyway) is the fact that life has probably evolved on some planet 100x bigger than Earth...which could make them true giants by our standards. It's probably happened a million times by now, and I'm sure one of the civilizations was both fairly intelligent, and brutally aggressive. Like us :^/

When you throw Earth standards out the window(which you have to technically) shit just gets too out of control.
*shutters*
Judging by this post, I feel compelled to suggest you watch Cosmos and read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. You may have already, but I just think you'd appreciate them right now relative to your current musings.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
One thing I only started believing is that though life outside of our solar system is probably very different than us, I'm betting it probably is fairly consistent (molecularly) with the hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen abundance in the universe.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Judging by this post, I feel compelled to suggest you watch Cosmos and read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. You may have already, but I just think you'd appreciate them right now relative to your current musings.
Although I've watch Cosmos, I have yet to read Hitchhiker's honestly, so maybe I should give it a go...

Zzoram said:
Just found our reason to convince the GOP to support space exploration. If we find aliens, we can convert them into Christians!
I have never thought of anything more life altering than this lol

Naked Snake said:
Holy shit! This guy keeps on giving, I still haven't watched half of The Sagan Series, because almost each one brings me to tears, and I've been rationing them. And now a new Youtube treasure trove is unleashed.

<3 <3 <3

There's also the Carl Sagan Tribute series by a different person. They're a bit longer but still very good.

Neverender said:
There's also the Carl Sagan Tribute series by a different person. They're a bit longer but still very good.

Are you sure it's not the same one? The Tribute series is the one I know and love, and the editing and music style is very similar to the Feynman one.

Neverender said:
Referring to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlPVSAnWOo

This is the Sagan series from same guy as the Feynman series for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59wZdCDo0

Oh yeah, I know them both, but I thought the Feynman series is from the first guy. It's hard to distinguish when virtually there is nothing original in the videos, it's just the combination of great speech, music, and cinematography together that makes them so enjoyable to watch.

It's interesting that The Sagan Series is endorsed by NASA.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Naked Snake said:
Oh yeah, I know them both, but I thought the Feynman series is from the first guy. It's hard to distinguish when virtually there is nothing original in the videos, it's just the combination of great speech, music, and cinematography together that makes them so enjoyable to watch.

It's interesting that The Sagan Series is endorsed by NASA.

As far as I know, it's NOT endorsed by NASA. The guy took it upon himself to promote them...but, as far as I know (again), NASA hasn't objected to the use of its logo, so I guess that counts as implicit endorsement.

PantherLotus said:
As far as I know, it's NOT endorsed by NASA. The guy took it upon himself to promote them...but, as far as I know (again), NASA hasn't objected to the use of its logo, so I guess that counts as implicit endorsement.

Oh I see... I could have sworn I've seen them posted on NASA's official facebook page, but I wouldn't take my word for it! My memory has been all kinds of wacky lately. You're probably right.

ToxicAdam

Gamma%20ray%20burst.gif

Ralph’s gamma ray burst lasted 102 seconds, which put it firmly in the long burst camp. But there was a problem: no supernovae had been recorded anywhere in Ralph’s vicinity. At the time, its discoverers were baffled, and exclaimed: ‘This is brand new territory, we have no theories to guide us.’

Now, five years later, a theory has emerged: it could be a white hole.

A white hole is a theoretical beastie that exists as a set of equations that were a by-product of Einstein’s theory of relativity. It is basically a black hole in reverse. If a black hole is an object from which nothing can escape, then a white hole is an object into which nothing can enter – it can only radiate energy and matter.

Relativity suggests the universe shouldn’t be allowed to get all pointy like this but should always continue in an infinite curve. The solution to this was to suggest that instead of terminating spacetime at a point, a black hole creates a funnel, or worm hole, which feeds out into a white hole in the universe’s past (don’t forget, spacetime is an amalgam of space and time, so if you can bend space, then you can also bend time).

Whether Ralph proves to be the first observed white hole remains to be seen. Many physicists would argue strongly it will not but, until then, it’sexciting to believe that it might be.

ibz1wpa6XntA8e.gif

My mind is full of fuck

http://www.cosmonline.co.uk/blog/2011/06/05/glimpse-almost-impossible

Is it weird that thinking, reading or watching stuff about space makes me extremely conscious? Its like everything starts to makes sense.

One time i had a epiphany that lasted about 5 seconds. I knew what the outside of the universe looked like and what it was made of. Some type dark gray of jelly material.

Sounds insane but that what i experienced. Heh

Izayoi

Banned
That white hole thing is crazy. We are witnessing the birth of the universe, albeit on a tiny scale, if that theory is correct.

Incredible.

Top Bottom