• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Im sorry. I don't watch the news or keep up with presidential and government doings. I think its all a whole bunch of noise. but i had no idea they cancelled the space program? I found this out literally today by a youtube comment on a video somebody in this thread link to about space! I looked it up and........wow.

What in the heck is wrong with these people? :(

ToxicAdam

Kung Fu Grip said:
Im sorry. I don't watch the news or keep up with presidential and government doings. I think its all a whole bunch of noise. but i had no idea they cancelled the space program? I found this out literally today by a youtube comment on a video somebody in this thread link to about space! I looked it up and........wow.

What in the heck is wrong with these people? :(

The amount spent on NASA is about the same, just priorities got shifted around. The only thing that got axed was the Bush program to land back on the moon.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
juno-earth-moon-nasa.jpg

Taken from Juno, showing a great perspective on the distance between earth and its moon.

Probably already posted several times, but this photo is as captivating as the pale blue dot to me.

PantherLotus said:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/wp-content/gallery/pale-blue-dot/juno-earth-moon-nasa.jpg[IMG]
[I]Taken from Juno, showing a great perspective on the distance between earth and its moon.[/I]

Probably already posted several times, but this photo is as captivating as the pale blue dot to me.[/QUOTE]

I love this. Picture reminded me of the WiiWare game Orbient.

Looking at the moon is one of my favorite things to do, I simply cannot take my gaze away from it (and feel all giddy) when I'm outside and the moon is visible. The wonder is never diminished for me. I feel sad and puzzled how people go about their lives every day without giving the moon a cursory glance.

McNei1y

Gazing at the night sky/moon is one of my favorite things to do. I recently moved into my college house and I realized that the area I am in doesn't pollute the sky as much as it did back home... Sitting outside at night with a beer in hand looking at the sky while listening to the Mass Effect Galaxy Map tune is fucking bliss. I really need to go back to a mountainous area and view the sky again. It was beyond incredible.

Some pretty interesting findings from Spitzer

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-322&cid=release_2011-322

NASA said:
PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has detected signs of icy bodies raining down in an alien solar system. The downpour resembles our own solar system several billion years ago during a period known as the "Late Heavy Bombardment," which may have brought water and other life-forming ingredients to Earth.

Now Spitzer has spotted a band of dust around a nearby bright star in the northern sky called Eta Corvi that strongly matches the contents of an obliterated giant comet. This dust is located close enough to Eta Corvi that Earth-like worlds could exist, suggesting a collision took place between a planet and one or more comets. The Eta Corvi system is approximately one billion years old, which researchers think is about the right age for such a hailstorm.

More in the link. I think this is just going to help prove that solar systems like our own are going to be quite common in the universe, as will earth-like planets. At this point I don't know how anybody could think otherwise.

The surviving planet that suffered the impact will be known as Earth 2, and that dust cloud will form Luna 2. Life will evolve on Earth 2 over the next billion years and result in a species that looks out into the ether and wonders why they are alone.

Shouldn't they be wondering about the "2" bit the follows the name of everything they build and social movement they undertake? Aliens can be so stupid.

Baby planet found that is only 50,000 - 100,000 years old

(illustration)

111020-planet-hawaii-hlarge-8am.grid-6x2.jpg

HONOLULU — Astronomers have captured the first direct image of a planet being born.

Adam Kraus, of the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy, said the planet is being formed out of dust and gas circling a 2-milion-year-old star about 450 light years from Earth.

The planet itself, based on scientific models of how planets form, is estimated to have started taking shape about 50,000 to 100,000 years ago.

Called LkCa 15 b, it's the youngest planet ever observed. The previous record holder was about five times older.

Kraus and his colleague, Michael Ireland from Macquarie University and the Australian Astronomical Observatory, used Keck telescopes on Mauna Kea to find the planet.
"We're catching this object at the perfect time. We see this young star, it has a disc around it that planets are probably forming out of and we see something right in the middle of a gap in the disc," Kraus said in a telephone interview.

Kraus & Ireland 2011
LkCa 15 b is the youngest planet ever observed. The previous record holder was about five times older.
Kraus presented the discovery Wednesday at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. Kraus and Ireland's research paper on the discovery is due to appear in The Astrophysical Journal.
Advertise | AdChoices

Observing planets while they're forming can help scientists answer questions like whether planets form early in the life of a star or later, and whether they form relatively close to stars or farther away.

Planets can change orbits after forming, so it's difficult to answer such questions by studying older planets.

"These very basic questions of when and where are best answered when you can actually see the planet forming, as the process is happening right now," Kraus said.

Other planets may also be forming around the same star. Kraus said he'll continue to observe the star and hopefully will see other planets if there are in fact more.

Scientists hadn't been able to see such young planets before because the bright light of the stars they're orbiting outshines them.

Kraus and Ireland used two techniques to overcome this obstacle.

One method, which is also used by other astronomers, was to change the shape of their mirror to remove light distortions created by the Earth's atmosphere.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kung Fu Grip said:
I still don't understand the reason why the puppet ended the space program.

They say money but smart people know thats bullshit.

Is it gone for good or coming back in the future?

wtf is this?

djgrothe

Neo Member
I'll come right out and say it: you need to watch this video. It's quite a bit longer than a lot of what we feature here on io9, but the weekend is almost here, and you owe it to yourself to set aside 53 minutes to watch a veritable scientific dream team talk about humanity's future in space.

The video, originally shot back in July at TAM 2011 Las Vegas, is of a panel featuring Bill Nye, astronomers Neil DeGrasse Tyson & Pamela Gay, and theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss—and the entire discussion is moderated by Bad Astronomy's Phil Plait. The subjects raised are consequential, the discussions thought provoking, and the opinions of the panelists refreshingly diverse (and often conflicting).

http://io9.com/5851956/must-watch-b...d-lawrence-krauss-discuss-our-future-in-space

http://vimeo.com/30742999

Clevinger

Neverender said:
Bill Nye is such a good speaker. Also Tyson seems like he doesn't really want to be there... Bit of a dick.

Tyson's always a bit of a mixed bag. He always kind of walks the line of being awesome and insightful and being an obnoxious, condescending twat.

There was this one panel where he was the latter for what seemed like the whole thing. He was slumped back in his chair completely, when he was answering the audience he had this way of looking down at them (this weird, not fun at all gaze where his eye lids were only half open), he looked bored out of his mind, he constantly interrupted the other people on stage and the audience members with not very funny jokes etc.

I'm glad we have him, but yeah, he's a mixed bag.

That panel has the exact atmosphere that the tea-room outside our computing society has. A bunch of educated people (mostly postgrads and teaching staff) having intellectual discussions that frequently get pretty heated.

Just finished watching, I have never wanted to punch someone in the face as hard as I do now for Tyson. Dude needed to shut up and let people finish speaking, and stop shouting out mindless rhetoric. Especially the one where Klauss was trying to explain why vacuum energy cannot be extracted, and he retorts with "hurr never break the sound barrier". God damn it.

Kyaw

That was an awesome watch indeed.

Is there any more discussion videos or lecture videos including Lawrence Krauss that isn't 'The Universe from Nothing'? And also recent. (Post 2010)

Darklord

Banned
I'm watching through Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Man, I wish I could have met him. So logical and scientific but really passionate and imaginative too.

MaddenNFL64

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Just finished watching, I have never wanted to punch someone in the face as hard as I do now for Tyson. Dude needed to shut up and let people finish speaking, and stop shouting out mindless rhetoric. Especially the one where Klauss was trying to explain why vacuum energy cannot be extracted, and he retorts with "hurr never break the sound barrier". God damn it.

He was just standing up for Bill. You need to chill on this, they all know eachother.

Darklord said:
I'm watching through Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Man, I wish I could have met him. So logical and scientific but really passionate and imaginative too.

Yeah you can really tell how passionate the guy is. He's like that awesome science teacher that everyone(hopefully) has at least once in their lifetime. The guy that really enjoys what he does and loves spreading his knowledge.

Before watching that panel I was pretty excited to see 3 of my favorite science figures go into debate but I was kind of disappointed that they argued so much. As much as I love NDT, people are right, he does have a tendency to come off as a pompous jerk. Although I love what he has to say. I felt bad for Kruass throughout most of the discussion. Also, please write your congress, the JWST can't not happen. It's too important.

MaddenNFL64 said:
He was just standing up for Bill. You need to chill on this, they all know eachother.

That's why I was surprised to see Neil act the way he did towards Krauss.

DeathNote said:
I don't like what Tyson said at the end. He kind of shitted on the benefit of our species becoming multi-planet by only focusing on asteroid protection of one planet being cheaper. He is succeeding Sagan in a new Cosmos series and Sagan talks about the importance of being on multiple planets eventually.

Ditto. I have no greater dream than when I think of humanity spreading to other worlds.

I hope very soon there becomes an undeniable reason for us to explore space... I wish it wasn't something the world had to be convinced of.

Alucrid

Banned
CrunchyFrog said:
Very high on the nerd end, but a nifty article describing the theoretical and practical implications and limitations of interstellar space travel, mainly by use of an ark
http://strangepaths.com/interstellar-ark/2007/02/14/en/

I found it a cool read and it lead me to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Spacecolony3edit.jpeg/764px-Spacecolony3edit.jpeg[IMG]
Why can't it be 2561 yet?[/QUOTE]

space colonies are my wet dream

Top Bottom