• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It's from 2010, yeah. That would be the movie based on "2010: Odyssey Two". Apparently, noone likes it or something. I enjoyed it.

noah111

Still Alive
Wow, I've read all the books but I didn't realize there was a sequel to the 2001 film. Need to watch it, i'm sure i'll enjoy it even if it's shit. :lol

Lets say hypothetically Mars once supported a luscious, green planet full of plant and animal life....

That means when it died off, there is a good chance of their being MASSIVE reserves of Oil underneath the surface.

There's your private funding. Convince the oil tycoons of the world that if they can get a settlement on Mars going, they have an entire planet for an oil field.

And by the time this happens we will have moved on to a better fuel source. So jokes on them.

Jokes on mars actually.

UrbanRats

It's from 2010, yeah. That would be the movie based on "2010: Odyssey Two". Apparently, noone likes it or something. I enjoyed it.

I hated it, because i was expecting another 2001.
It doesn't even come close to that, and it has some REALLY fucking campy scenes (
flying comb?
), but i guess it's still a decent sci fi.
It's been like 7 years since i've watched it, though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I haven't seen either 2001 nor 2010 in a very long time, but I actually remember liking 2010 more than 2001. I mean don't get me wrong, I like 2001 for what it is, artistic and iconic, but I also just find it incredibly boring for the most part. 2010 was a more "entertaining" movie experience, and I just enjoyed it better.

Maybe I need to watch them both again and see me being older changes that opinion...

As for exploring Europa, hell yes. It's probably the most interesting planetary body (scientifically) in the solar system besides Earth.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Lets say hypothetically Mars once supported a luscious, green planet full of plant and animal life....

That means when it died off, there is a good chance of their being MASSIVE reserves of Oil underneath the surface.

There's your private funding. Convince the oil tycoons of the world that if they can get a settlement on Mars going, they have an entire planet for an oil field.

And by the time this happens we will have moved on to a better fuel source. So jokes on them.
helium-3 mining on the moon is where it's at.

noah111

Still Alive
I haven't seen either 2001 nor 2010 in a very long time, but I actually remember liking 2010 more than 2001. I mean don't get me wrong, I like 2001 for what it is, artistic and iconic, but I also just find it incredibly boring for the most part. 2010 was a more "entertaining" movie experience, and I just enjoyed it better.

Maybe I need to watch them both again and see me being older changes that opinion...

As for exploring Europa, hell yes. It's probably the most interesting planetary body (scientifically) in the solar system besides Earth.

Yeah, I remember watching 2001 and I had never read any of the books. It ended, and I immediately googled something along the lines of '2001 move ending wtf' or something, since I didn't get shit.

Then a year or two later I read all the books, and the movie meant so much more. It's still slightly overrated imo, but for its time it is amazing. I look forward to 2010 though, I think i'll enjoy it more than 01.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
To me, 2001 is clearly the better movie. By far. Especially if you see it in context with the real juggernauts of scifi movies (starts and ends with Tarkovskij).

But 2010 was very entertaining, that's all I was saying. It wasn't necessarily good, but entertaining.

In my mind, there's two kinds of science fiction movies: The good ones, which tend to bore most viewers to death, and the campy / crazy ones, which are a mindfuck through and through. Both have their place.

Scifi is a weird genre.

Tawpgun

ZPpoA.jpg

Man

2010 is an absolutely excellent science fiction film. It has the incredible burden to be a follow up to 2001 the cinematic art that happened to unify the world during the cold war etc but 2010 is absolutely stellar on it's own.

Pretty neato developments for star gazers

ZjWxJ.jpg

After a wild night on top of Hawaii's Mauna Kea volcano, researchers report that they've successfully tested the remote-control system for a prototype telescope that could someday be looking at the cosmos from the surface of the moon.

The demonstration for the International Lunar Observatory precursor instrument, or ILO-X, came a day earlier than originally plannned, due to a wave of chilly, stormy weather that was sweeping over Hawaii. Temperatures on Mauna Kea reportedly dipped to 16 below zero Fahrenheit overnight.

"It was certainly challenging," Steve Durst, founder and director of the International Lunar Observatory Association, told me today. "We succeeded after some time in imaging celestial objects — not as many as we wanted, because of the extreme conditions."

ILO science team members were able to control the shoebox-sized, camera-equipped telescope from stations in Switzerland, California and China, with signals routed via the Internet through a mission control center at the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope on Mauna Kea. Other researchers from India, Japan, Canada and Africa had been planning to participate, but they couldn't scramble quickly enough to tap into the system, Durst said.
Durst said the telescope was aimed at celestial targets including the planet Jupiter and the Pleiades star cluster, using remote-control software developed by Moon Express. The imagery was returned for processing, just as it would be during a moon mission. "That was very rewarding to see happen," said Bob Richards, the co-founder and CEO of Moon Express.

The flight version of ILO-X is destined to travel to the lunar surface aboard the Moon Express lander, which Richards and his colleagues intend to launch in 2014 to win a share of the $30 million Google Lunar X Prize. Moon Express has designed and is building the ILO-X instrument with financial support from Durst's organization.

Complete article can be found here:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/19/9565921-lunar-telescope-tested-on-earth

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Pretty neato developments for star gazers

Complete article can be found here:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/19/9565921-lunar-telescope-tested-on-earth

Clever idea. Excited to see what possibilities this could lead to in the future with bigger telescopes. I wish there were more things like the Space X prize. The rewards are trivial, really, but I think they work as good incentives. Bigger prizes might go a long way towards drumming up interest.

zomaha

Yeah, I remember watching 2001 and I had never read any of the books. It ended, and I immediately googled something along the lines of '2001 move ending wtf' or something, since I didn't get shit.

Then a year or two later I read all the books, and the movie meant so much more. It's still slightly overrated imo, but for its time it is amazing. I look forward to 2010 though, I think i'll enjoy it more than 01.

The books are not really associated at all with 2001 the movie. Kubrick uses bits and pieces for a foundation but other than that he disassociates himself from Arthur C. Clarke's work.

There is more to 2001 than you think, and if you were searching for answers in the book then I'm afraid you were looking in the wrong place. I suggest you visit this site if you want answers to the greatest film ever. But beware, shit gets deep.

noah111

Still Alive
The books are not really associated at all with 2001 the movie. Kubrick uses bits and pieces for a foundation but other than that he disassociates himself from Arthur C. Clarke's work.

There is more to 2001 than you think, and if you were searching for answers in the book then I'm afraid you were looking in the wrong place. I suggest you visit this site if you want answers to the greatest film ever. But beware, shit gets deep.

In other words, abstractly vague. My favorite line of the entire series was 'my god, it's full of stars' and was disappointed to never see that in-film (or is in 2010?).

Anyway, i'll check it out.

zomaha

In other words, abstractly vague. My favorite line of the entire series was 'my god, it's full of stars' and was disappointed to never see that in-film (or is in 2010?).

Anyway, i'll check it out.

Not really abstractly vague. More like he uses techniques to tell a hidden narrative that you never would have thought possible in film.

Kyaw

When it's up, it's going to be the best telescope mankind has ever built!

Until the next one and the next and the next

More interesting discoveries. Two exoplanets that have survived their star's red giant phase and now whip around the star at 1% the distance of the Earth-Sun.

Astronomers have discovered two potential alien planets that apparently survived being engulfed by their bloated, dying parent star.

The discovery is a surprise to many scientists, as it had been widely believed that no planet could withstand such a thorough and intense scorching, researchers say. Also a surprise: The hardy alien worlds seem to have inflicted their own damage on the expanded star, stripping it of much of its mass.

"To our knowledge, there has been no previous case reported where such a strong influence on the evolution of a star seems to have occurred," said study lead author Stephane Charpinet of the University of Toulouse in France.

u6rRQ.jpg

- the researchers didn't set out looking for alien planets. Instead, they were studying a dying star. The star was once a "normal" main-sequence one like our own sun, but it's now several steps farther down the path of stellar evolution.

-The star has already gone through its red-giant phase, bloating up dramatically after exhausting the stores of hydrogen fuel in its core. The star has since collapsed to a shrunken vestige of its former self, becoming what's known as a hot B subdwarf.

-Both planets appear to be slightly smaller than Earth, but they hug their host star much more closely than our planet does.

-Both orbit at less than 1 percent of the Earth-sun distance (which is about 93 million miles, or 150 million kilometers)

-The two potential exoplanets likely didn't start out so small and so close-in, researchers said. Before KIC 05807616 became a red giant, both alien worlds were probably Jupiterlike gas giants sitting farther away from the star.

-"As the star puffs up and engulfs the planet, the planet has to plow through the star's hot atmosphere and that causes friction, sending it spiraling toward the star," study co-author Betsy Green of the University of Arizona said in a statement. "As it's doing that, it helps strip atmosphere off the star. At the same time, the friction with the star's envelope also strips the gaseous and liquid layers off the planet, leaving behind only some part of the solid core, scorched but still there."

-Our own solar system will probably take a slightly different path, however. Our sun will become a red giant in about 5 billion years, likely expanding to engulf and thoroughly cook Mercury, Venus and Earth. But the sun will feel no reprisals, for these planets are too small to take a piece out of our star in the process, Charpinet said.

Complete article can be found here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45754654/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.TvJuRDUS29U

AAequal

Banned
Cryogenic Testing Completed for NASA's Webb Telescope Mirrors
pyfaW.jpg

GREENBELT, Md. -- Cryogenic testing is complete for the final six primary mirror segments and a secondary mirror that will fly on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope. The milestone represents the successful culmination of a process that took years and broke new ground in manufacturing and testing large mirrors.

"The mirror completion means we can build a large, deployable telescope for space," said Scott Willoughby, vice president and Webb program manager at Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems. "We have proven real hardware will perform to the requirements of the mission."

The Webb telescope has 21 mirrors, with 18 mirror segments working together as a large 21.3-foot (6.5-meter) primary mirror. Each individual mirror segment now has been successfully tested to operate at 40 Kelvin (-387 Fahrenheit or -233 Celsius).

"Mirrors need to be cold so their own heat does not drown out the very faint infrared images," said Lee Feinberg, NASA Optical Telescope Element manager for the Webb telescope at the agency's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "With the completion of all mirror cryogenic testing, the toughest challenge since the beginning of the program is now completely behind us."

Completed at the X-ray and Cryogenic Facility (XRCF) at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., a ten-week test series chilled the primary mirror segments to -379 degrees Fahrenheit. During two test cycles, telescope engineers took extremely detailed measurements of how each individual mirror's shape changed as it cooled. Testing verified each mirror changed shape with temperature as expected and each one will be the correct shape upon reaching the extremely cold operating temperature after reaching deep space.

"Achieving the best performance requires conditioning and testing the mirrors in the XRCF at temperatures just as cold as will be encountered in space," said Helen Cole, project manager for Webb Telescope mirror activities at the XRCF. "This testing ensures the mirrors will focus crisply in space, which will allow us to see new wonders in our universe."

Ball Aerospace and Technologies Corp. in Boulder, Colo. successfully completed comparable testing on the secondary mirror. However, because the secondary mirror is convex (i.e., it has a domed surface that bulges outward instead of a concave one that dishes inward like a bowl), it does not converge light to a focus. Testing the mirror presented a unique challenge involving a special process and more complex optical measurements.

The Webb telescope is the world's next-generation space observatory and successor to the Hubble Space Telescope. It will be most powerful space telescope ever built, provide images of the first galaxies ever formed, and explore planets around distant stars. It is a joint project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency.

For more information about the Webb telescope, visit:
http://jwst.nasa.gov

For video of work on the mirror segments, visit:
http://youtu.be/t_s_7lBX-K8
So awesome to see the prgoress going forward, still don't understand why it will have to wait until 2018 for launch. It was more then few years back when they said 75% of components are already ready or in production. I do understand the years of testing they have to do since they really can't afford mistakes but still. I want to see JWST in space ASAP.

-Our own solar system will probably take a slightly different path, however. Our sun will become a red giant in about 5 billion years, likely expanding to engulf and thoroughly cook Mercury, Venus and Earth. But the sun will feel no reprisals, for these planets are too small to take a piece out of our star in the process, Charpinet said.

That sounds like a challenge to me.

I wonder how they survived. Seems like they must have been enormous and/or just at the edge of the Red Giant. There must be some sort of goldilocks zone where a planet catches enough mass to slow down, but not so much that it would fall into the star early in its Red Giant stage.

I'll load up my stellar/physics simulator (Universe Sandbox) and slam a bunch of Jupiters together until they form a black hole (read: until I get bored and cheat) and see if I gain any insights.

PBF041-Sun_Love.gif

Majine

Banned
I wonder if our civilization will still be here by then. Odds are pretty big that we have wiped ourselves out far before that due to overpopulation, but humanity has from time to time overachieved itself.

noah111

Still Alive
I laughed at this a little harder than I should have.
:lol, me too. I enjoyed this one as well. Kinda depressing, but still amusing.

Also, now I get a chance to thank zomaha for that 2001 link earlier. Rewatched it (and then 2010) a few days ago and I really enjoyed it due to the things I was picking up that I previously phased.

Also, I loved 2010 even though it's not much compared to 2001, still a great movie. Wish the ending was more elaborated though, ala the book.

Teknoman

I wonder if our civilization will still be here by then. Odds are pretty big that we have wiped ourselves out far before that due to overpopulation, but humanity has from time to time overachieved itself.

Kinda glad I wont be alive then if we dont find a way to move to another planet. Even then, what happens to the sun after turning into a Red Giant?

Majine

Banned
Kinda glad I wont be alive then if we dont find a way to move to another planet. Even then, what happens to the sun after turning into a Red Giant?

It turns into a white dwarf, roughly the same size as earth but with much higher density. At that point, it will be completely unsuitable as a sun for us.

McNei1y

5 billion years is soooo far. I'm assuming the human race will have died off at some point and we'll become that ancient race that future races refer too. Maybe even some human colonies exist out there but not a lot.

Just find a skeleton on Mars so we can send man there to explore and eventually find prothean architecture and the evidence of a mass relay!

noah111

Still Alive
I read that our time left is "only" 1 billion years due to the suns increased luminosity. So get cracking, Science! :p
If we're still around in a billion years and we don't have the ability to move planets at will; human race i am disappoint.

All you would need is four or six 'ships' with the ability to alter their density/gravity, and surround the planet in a geometrically sound pattern and move the ships in synchrony to move the planet.

Simple, right? It's patented.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
interesting forum post about Space Combat

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=131056

tl:dr

- No Stealth in Space.
- Weapons will do a lot of damage, one hit kills.
- No dogfights, battles will essentially be drive-by shootings.
- Spacecrafts will be built with speed in mind not armor.
- Missiles will probably be the offensive weapon of choice and lasers for defense.

Tawpgun

- No Stealth in Space.
- Missiles will probably be the offensive weapon of choice and lasers for defense.

Aww but thats boring....

Battlestar battles or no battles.

Hootie

- No Stealth in Space.

We could also just not fight in space at all, that would be pretty cool.

Nice meteor shower tonight!

The 2012 Quadrantids, a little-known meteor shower named after an extinct constellation, will present an excellent chance for hardy souls to start the year off with some late-night meteor watching.

Peaking in the wee morning hours of Jan. 4, the Quadrantids have a maximum rate of about 100 per hour, varying between 60-200. The waxing gibbous moon will set around 3 a.m. local time, leaving about two hours of excellent meteor observing before dawn. It's a good thing, too, because unlike the more famous Perseid and Geminid meteor showers, the Quadrantids only last a few hours -- it's the morning of Jan. 4, or nothing.

Like the Geminids, the Quadrantids originate from an asteroid, called 2003 EH1. Dynamical studies suggest that this body could very well be a piece of a comet which broke apart several centuries ago, and that the meteors you will see before dawn on Jan. 4 are the small debris from this fragmentation. After hundreds of years orbiting the sun, they will enter our atmosphere at 90,000 mph, burning up 50 miles above Earth's surface -- a fiery end to a long journey!

The Quadrantids derive their name from the constellation of Quadrans Muralis (mural quadrant), which was created by the French astronomer Jerome Lalande in 1795. Located between the constellations of Bootes and Draco, Quadrans represents an early astronomical instrument used to observe and plot stars. Even though the constellation is no longer recognized by astronomers, it was around long enough to give the meteor shower -- first seen in 1825 -- its name.

Given the location of the radiant -- northern tip of Bootes the Herdsman -- only northern hemisphere observers will be able to see Quadrantids.

NASA streaming http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc

So I got up at 3 this morning and saw the meteor shower. I saw about 15 shooting stars (is that the proper terminology?) in thirty minutes. So that's about 12 more than I've seen in my whole life.

Also my mind was blown to see Neil deGrasse Tyson was a science adviser on a Family Guy episode.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I got up at 3 this morning and saw the meteor shower. I saw about 15 shooting stars (is that the proper terminology?) in thirty minutes. So that's about 12 more than I've seen in my whole life.

Also my mind was blown to see Neil deGrasse Tyson was a science adviser on a Family Guy episode.

The funny thing about that is they happen all the time, we just live in areas with way too much light pollution to see them. When I was in Iraq in 2003-2004 and again in 2006-2007 when we were outside of Baghdad/Mosul/other cities there was absolutely no light and you could see them all the damned time, especially with night vision on.

fallout

The funny thing about that is they happen all the time, we just live in areas with way too much light pollution to see them. When I was in Iraq in 2003-2004 and again in 2006-2007 when we were outside of Baghdad/Mosul/other cities there was absolutely no light and you could see them all the damned time, especially with night vision on.
If you're ever using night vision again, try to find the Andromeda Galaxy. It's actually a naked eye object, but looks really neat in night vision. It would be pretty obvious if you know where Pegasus (the big square) or Cassiopeia (the big W) are located. In both of those links, Andromeda is the giant red blob in the charts.

It's M31 in this chart (the W of Cassiopeia is just visible in the top right):

Q9WBZ.png

There are probably other deep sky objects that look neat in the night vision, but that's an easy one to find.

What's a good star chart type app for iPad? Is StarWalker good? Ever since that Rip Taylor type guy on PBS died I don't know whats what in the sky anymore.

SonnyBoy

When I worked for CSC, I used to provide IT support for the Hubble facility on JHU's campus. A lot of the JW folks work there too. While setting up a Lotus Notes acct for some dude, he talked about the JW and I asked him... How will you fix it? LOL He shrugged. LOLOLOL

Top Bottom