• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

The first time I saw Andromeda with my naked eye was out in the boonies somewhere as a teen.

It blew my mind that it was so large a blob (relatively speaking), that I was seeing something 2.5 million light years away, that my eyes were directly physically interacting with photons cast off from stars in another galaxy - some of which no longer even existed, and that I was seeing a galaxy in a way that no being that lived anywhere within it could ever see it.

Hootie

It blew my mind that it was so large a blob (relatively speaking), that I was seeing something 2.5 million light years away, that my eyes were directly physically interacting with photons cast off from stars in another galaxy - some of which no longer even existed, and that I was seeing a galaxy in a way that no being that lived anywhere within it could ever see it.

The crazy thing is there is/was probably beings in Andromeda looking at the Milky way thinking the same thing

Kraftwerk

The first time I saw Andromeda with my naked eye was out in the boonies somewhere as a teen.

The crazy thing is there is/was probably beings in Andromeda looking at the Milky way thinking the same thing

:") I love space...

a) What do you mean?

b) Sweet name and avatar

a) If it can be seen with the naked eye at night. Pretty crazy! But it can only be seen clearly in the month of november, if Google is to be trusted.

b) Thanks man! :)

And it will get easier to see, it is on a collision course with our galaxy.

Yea, too bad we'll be long gone by then. It'll be beautiful. And deadly.

No doubt about it. This topic has sent me off into a "space day", where I'll do nothing but watch documentaries about the universe for the thousandth time.

RiZ III

VAST WEB OF DARK MATTER MAPPED
A one billion light-year wide map has been created, showing an intricate web of dark matter filling the cosmos.

http://news.discovery.com/space/dark-matter-web-mapped-120109.html

Gist of article:
Dark matter pervades the entire observable universe, accounting for 83 percent of the mass of the cosmos. But as it does not scatter or radiate light (or any kind of electromagnetic radiation for that matter), we cannot see it. Naturally, this poses an interesting problem for astronomers hoping to map the stuff.

By analyzing the light from 10 million galaxies, astronomers have built the largest dark matter map ever created.

The map visualizes an intricate cosmic web of dark matter and galaxies one billion light-years across.

Understanding the structure of dark matter will help us understand the evolution of the Universe.

darkmatterzoom.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
I have, quite a while back if I remember correctly. It is pretty awesome though, especially the scenes on how it would look from various places on earth.

Not exactly news but it seems space junk is going to have to be dealt with eventually. Or we will have to build stronger spaceships.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The International Space Station is dodging a softball-sized piece of space junk.

Mission Control told astronauts to fire the station's engines briefly Friday morning to avoid a piece of an old communications satellite.

It will be only the 13th time since 1998 that the station has moved because of debris. Debris travels at such high speed in orbit that it could cause a deadly puncture to the space station.

The last time the station moved was in September. In June, astronauts had to take shelter in the Soyuz escape capsule as debris flew by.

NASA said Thursday that the debris from the private U.S. satellite Iridium was on a path that would have brought it close to the station Friday afternoon, possibly less than a mile.

OvBmK.jpg

Possible stupid question, but am I right in thinking that due to precession, in 13k years the winter solstice and summer solstice would swap dates for the northern hemisphere? So winter would begin in June instead of December? If the seasons are caused by the tilt of the earth's axis, and precession involves the earth's axis wobbling slowly (every 26k years or whatever it is) wouldn't half of that time mean that the earth is pointing the opposite direction?

Possible stupid question, but am I right in thinking that due to precession, in 13k years the winter solstice and summer solstice would swap dates for the northern hemisphere? So winter would begin in June instead of December? If the seasons are caused by the tilt of the earth's axis, and precession involves the earth's axis wobbling slowly (every 26k years or whatever it is) wouldn't half of that time mean that the earth is pointing the opposite direction?

We add leap seconds to keep the calendar in sync (although there is a proposal to abolish leap seconds and let the calendar drift.)

In other news, we should mount a mission to planet Templeton-Holmes B.

Has it been shopped? Looks too clean but may be due to being the right distance away from the camera.

edit - now that I click on the super mega res pic I see the detail. Pretty neato.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Shopped? If stitching several hundreds of HD-shots is shopping, ok.

2. This "why a pic of North America" meme I've seen a few places is so fucking stupid. The other famous pic centers on Africa/Middle east. Get a grip, people.

3. I encourage you to check out the highest-def pic you can find and zoom in. You can see cities and stuff, but not easily.

derFeef

1. Shopped? If stitching several hundreds of HD-shots is shopping, ok.

2. This "why a pic of North America" meme I've seen a few places is so fucking stupid. The other famous pic centers on Africa/Middle east. Get a grip, people.

3. I encourage you to check out the highest-def pic you can find and zoom in. You can see cities and stuff, but not easily.

There is a meme about it? Jeeze. It's just funny that it's really just North America with a lot of water. A little bit more landmass would be good :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
There is a meme about it? Jeeze. It's just funny that it's really just North America with a lot of water. A little bit more landmass would be good :)

Sorry, just saw a couple people on various sites complaining about the US-centric picture. Just irked me that we couldn't drop politics (we = the internets) to admire beauty.

To your point, I always kinda wanted to see the pacific-side only. People don't realize you can look from one side of the globe and not see any land.

Scirrocco

Not exactly news but it seems space junk is going to have to be dealt with eventually. Or we will have to build stronger spaceships.

Here's a scary thought on space junk. In the event of an actual war between major powers (US, china, Russia, etc) the enemies satellites would be considered fair game, and considering how used they are by US military they'd be a prime target.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16588557

One of the PLA's most sensitive advances has been the secret deployment and testing of advanced anti-satellite (ASAT) and Anti Ballistic Missile (ABM) weapons systems.

Two years ago, China successfully intercepted one of its own ballistic missiles as it streaked through space. This test coincided with the Pentagon's sale of Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) Patriot systems to Taiwan.

Some experts believe a Chinese ASAT campaign against a careful selected group of US satellites could have catastrophic effect on the US military.

This capability, combined with the potential for China to develop its own Ballistic Missile Defence umbrella, suggests that the space domain will be a new theatre for US-China rivalry.

We start blowing up satellites, we create a lot more space junk, which creates more space junk, which creates more space junk...

zomaha

Seeing pictures like that make me sad...since I know I'll never get a first hand view of it.

Try and hang around for another 30 or so years, space tourism will become feasible and you will indeed get to see the earth from space. For a pretty penny, of course, but I know I'll definitely do it before I'm gone.

Hello Neogaf. Long time lurker, first time poster. I am obsessed with space and look into the heavens whenever possible. I would like to post some of my own pics that I took of the moon if that's alright. To take pictures I simply align the camera on my Android phone with an eye piece on my telescope; it is difficult to get a very clear image as I’m trying to center a pinpoint of light and not move my hands – the vibration is even more noticeable at higher magnifications, but I digress.

For eyepieces I have:
25mm (gives 36 x magnification)
10mm (gives 90x)
6mm (gives 150 x)
I also have a 2x Barlow which will double the magnification of any eyepiece.

Following are at 90x:
Mprp6.jpg

F35qV.jpg

wBrsX.jpg

36x:
AwAlo.jpg

150x or 180x; I don't recall:
vXhtd.jpg

300x:
Mn9pQ.jpg

Day time photo for kicks:
j3DBh.jpg

Seep

Those moon shots are awesome. I've always wanted a telescope, any good ones I should be looking at for about £200?

fallout

Those moon shots are awesome. I've always wanted a telescope, any good ones I should be looking at for about £200?
Check around for a local astronomy club. They usually have loaner scope programs. Also, you'd be amazed at what you can see in a dark sky with just a pair of 10 x 70 binoculars.

If you're really set on buying a telescope, though ... the best amateur recommendation I think I can make is an 6 to 8-inch Dobsonian.

Pros:
  • Low-cost for the relative aperture size.
  • Small amount of setup required.
  • Low maintenance and the maintenance required (collimation) isn't too taxing.
  • Easy to use (point and shoot!).

Cons:
  • No tracking, so things tend to run out of your field of view.
  • Not as portable as some other beginner scopes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hello Neogaf. Long time lurker, first time poster. I am obsessed with space and look into the heavens whenever possible. I would like to post some of my own pics that I took of the moon if that's alright. To take pictures I simply align the camera on my Android phone with an eye piece on my telescope; it is difficult to get a very clear image as I’m trying to center a pinpoint of light and not move my hands – the vibration is even more noticeable at higher magnifications, but I digress.

Awesome shots, and what a cool idea. I bought a Fuji HS20EXR camera last summer, and while I've taken moon pics with it, I never considered doing it through my telescope. I have a 10" dobsinian, I have a tripod, I need to do this! Next clear moon filled night I'm gonna give this a shot and post what I get here for criticism, lol.

Good job bro.

Seep

Check around for a local astronomy club. They usually have loaner scope programs. Also, you'd be amazed at what you can see in a dark sky with just a pair of 10 x 70 binoculars.

If you're really set on buying a telescope, though ... the best amateur recommendation I think I can make is an 6 to 8-inch Dobsonian.

Pros:
  • Low-cost for the relative aperture size.
  • Small amount of setup required.
  • Low maintenance and the maintenance required (collimation) isn't too taxing.
  • Easy to use (point and shoot!).

Cons:
  • No tracking, so things tend to run out of your field of view.
  • Not as portable as some other beginner scopes.
I was looking at this one not sure how good it is though. this one

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Damn, looks awesome. How is watching the other planets through your telescope?
I have only viewed Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter is great, and I am able to see several cloud bands and its four largest moons. Jupiter can be surprisingly luminescent and I would recommended using some type of filter when viewing at higher magnifications. I still remember the first time I saw Saturn; I found it by chance. I saw a bright ‘star’ in the sky, and swept it into view, and my head near exploded at seeing those mesmerizing rings. Viewing Saturn for the first time through my telescope was akin to a spiritual experience – it’s the only real way I can think to articulate the feeling. It was as if the very atoms of my being vibrated with joy.

Nice shots WeAreStarStuff (and great name, BTW)! What type of telescope are you using?
Thank you. A reflector model from Orion.

Hmmm..200 pounds would be around $314. A Dobsonian model will prob. give you the best bang for your buck, and I would not go with less than a 6" primary mirror so that you can at least grow into the hobby; ideally 8". Here is a decent model for $300 US:
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...c/12/sc/398/p/8942.uts?refineByCategoryId=398

Dobsonians can become quite heavy and are not as mobile as some of the other models, but as with every decision in life there are tradeoffs; I would say for the frugality of them they are defiantly a viable option for you.

fallout

I was looking at this one not sure how good it is though. this one
Hard to find much for review. Refractors are pretty good for viewing objects like the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn (as the spec page nicely states!), but you won't see much for deep-sky objects. If you're observing in an urban area, this won't affect you much. I can't really guarantee the quality of the optics, but the fact that they states that it's an apochromatic (as opposed to an achromatic) refractor is a good thing.

What kinds of observing were you hoping to do/achieve?

Seep

Hmmm..200 pounds would be around $314. A Dobsonian model will prob. give you the best bang for your buck, and I would not go with less than a 6" primary mirror so that you can at least grow into the hobby; ideally 8". Here is a decent model for $300 US:
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...c/12/sc/398/p/8942.uts?refineByCategoryId=398

Dobsonians can become quite heavy and are not as mobile as some of the other models, but as with every decision in life there are tradeoffs; I would say for the frugality of them they are defiantly a viable option for you.

Cheers I'll look around a bit more and do some research.

Hard to find much for review. Refractors are pretty good for viewing objects like the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn (as the spec page nicely states!), but you won't see much for deep-sky objects. If you're observing in an urban area, this won't affect you much. I can't really guarantee the quality of the optics, but the fact that they states that it's an apochromatic (as opposed to an achromatic) refractor is a good thing.

What kinds of observing were you hoping to do/achieve?

Mostly the Moon and what ever planets come into view, but I'd also like to see some Nebulae maybe.

I am also tempted to invest in my first telescope. How hard is it to see another galaxy for instance? A spiral.

If a knowledgeable person from this forum could find me a model from Amazon, and recommend it, I'd really appreciate it. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. So there is some lighting around me, but nothing city like.

Tawpgun

Realistically speaking, the only way to land a man on mars and get him back is to be able to launch off of Mars. Much harder due it its increased gravity and air resistance when compared to the moon.

Do we have the technology to get something to Mars and launch it back?

relaxor

what?
Realistically speaking, the only way to land a man on mars and get him back is to be able to launch off of Mars. Much harder due it its increased gravity and air resistance when compared to the moon.

Do we have the technology to get something to Mars and launch it back?

Theoretically yes, but there haven't been any successful two-way missions.

The Phobos-Grunt Russian/Chinese spacecraft that failed late last year was going to be the first sample return from the Martian system.

We have a lot to learn yet.

fallout

For research into astronomy, I really recommend Terence Dickinson's book NightWatch. It does a very good job of setting reasonable expectations and easing people into the hobby. Reasonable expectations are very important. I can't tell you how many times I've done public viewing sessions where people have expected to see Hubble images in my scope.

Mostly the Moon and what ever planets come into view, but I'd also like to see some Nebulae maybe.
If you're willing to take the step into hunting down stuff like nebulae, the dob(sonian) is probably the best way to go. I always recommend that people start with binoculars, but people rarely heed that advice, anyway.

I am also tempted to invest in my first telescope. How hard is it to see another galaxy for instance? A spiral.
It really depends on the galaxy. The Andromeda galaxy can be seen with the naked eye and is a really fantastic object in a pair of binoculars. As the galaxies become more distant/dimmer, you'll need more aperture (and darker sky) in order to see them.

With an 8-inch dobsonian, there are hundreds of galaxies that you can see in a good dark sky.

If a knowledgeable person from this forum could find me a model from Amazon, and recommend it, I'd really appreciate it.
Similar to the posts above, I really like dobsonians for starter telescope. For example, here's an 8-inch Orion Dobsonian for 350 USD.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago. So there is some lighting around me, but nothing city like.
Suburbs can be pretty bad, too. For reference, here's a light pollution map of the Chicago area: http://cleardarksky.com/lp/Chicagolp.html?Mn=astronomical

Theoretically yes, but there haven't been any successful two-way missions.

The Phobos-Grunt Russian/Chinese spacecraft that failed late last year was going to be the first sample return from the Martian system.

We have a lot to learn yet.

I bet America could do it!

Even though I find Newt absolutely repugnant, I actually get hot and bothered by the fact that he's interested in putting a permanent space colony on the moon. Anyone else think its a good idea? Assuming you don't like him as well, would it be a good enough idea to ignore his other stances and policies to vote for someone that wants to make it happen? (even though realistically it would probably never pass the house/senate)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Even though I find Newt absolutely repugnant, I actually get hot and bothered by the fact that he's interested in putting a permanent space colony on the moon. Anyone else think its a good idea? Assuming you don't like him as well, would it be a good enough idea to ignore his other stances and policies to vote for someone that wants to make it happen? (even though realistically it would probably never pass the house/senate)

I love the idea of a moon base. However, Newt's promise of a moon base by 2020 under his Presidency was simply ludicrous. With the current state of both the economy and NASA such an endeavor from scratch is simply impossible. And most of Florida knows it. Newt took a gamble to promise something huge and local to Florida in a play to get votes, and it failed. To be honest I'm surprised he tried it, as it was a little too unrealistic.

The reality of it is that a moon base at this time is only practical for one reason: space tourism. There really isn't any other good reason to do it, other than to study the moon itself, but that won't pay the bills. Now a moon resort, with commercial space travel back and forth, during a good economy where people could afford it, that might just get us our moon base. Other than that though it is really just science fiction. Unless we discover something else valuable up there, something corporations can sell.

My only hope is that it happens in my lifetime. That I get the chance to go hiking up a moon mountain, see the Earth rise over the horizon from a sauna in a glass dome, play volleyball in near zero gravity. Stargaze from the dark side of the moon into a perfectly black yet star-filled universe. It's our future, our new frontier, if our species lives and survives long enough to actually see it happen...

Top Bottom