• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Cheers guys, I'm ordering that book now and I'll do a bit of web searching before I order my telescope.

Nice. That's the best way to go about it; it's not something that you should make a rash decision about. I’m sure you’ll be happy with whatever piece you decide on.

Theoretically yes, but there haven't been any successful two-way missions.

The Phobos-Grunt Russian/Chinese spacecraft that failed late last year was going to be the first sample return from the Martian system.

We have a lot to learn yet.

To be fair, the probe failed in orbit. We would never know if the sample return portion of the mission would have worked if it hadn't failed so early.

I wouldn't even given that mission partial points for trying and failing to return a sample.

I don't think the following has been posted.

http://www.space.com/14378-nasa-interstellar-matter-ibex-mission-preview.html

Scientists will announce new findings about material from beyond the solar system at a NASA press conference today (Jan. 31).

The researchers will also discuss discoveries about the boundary region that separates our solar system from interstellar space and protects us from fast-moving particles called galactic cosmic rays, researchers said.

The results were obtained after analyzing data gathered by NASA's Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) spacecraft, which is studying the edge of the solar system from an orbit about 200,000 miles (322,000 kilometers) above Earth. [Images from the IBEX Mission]

The briefing will take place at 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT) at NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C. ...

I wonder what it will be; perhaps stellar dust from another solar system?

A buddy of mine won tickets to this and I'll be attending. If GAF would like to ask any questions vicariously through me just let me know.

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/tweetup/tweetup_garan_021412.html

Space Station Astronaut Ron Garan Hosts Tweetup at NASA Headquarters NASA invites its Twitter followers to a special Tweetup with astronaut Ron Garan at 1:30 p.m. EST on Tuesday, Feb. 14. The event will take place in the James E. Webb Memorial Auditorium at NASA Headquarters, 300 E St. SW, Washington. This NASA Tweetup is an opportunity to meet and speak with Garan, the people behind @NASA account and other space-exploration-minded participants.

Garan spent 164 days in space during the Expedition 27 and Expedition 28 missions to the International Space Station. He and his crewmates launched April 4, 2011, and returned to Earth on Sept. 15, 2011. Aboard the station, the crew worked on a variety of microgravity experiments and hosted two space shuttle missions, including the last shuttle to visit the station. Garan also participated in the last space-shuttle-based spacewalk during the STS-135 mission.

During his time in space, Garan shared his experiences and images he took of Earth from the space station via his Twitter account, @Astro_Ron, and his Fragile Oasis blog.

Registration for the event was open to @NASA followers and their guests from 12 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 20, until 12 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 24. NASA will select 150 total participants by lottery from those who registered online.

Melchiah

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9056979/Fourth-potentially-habitable-planet-discovered.html
Fourth potentially habitable planet discovered

A fourth potentially habitable planet outside our solar system – about 22 light-years from Earth – with temperatures that could support water and lifen has been discovered by international astronomers.

The team analysed data from the European Southern Observatory about a star known as GJ 667C, which is known as an M-class dwarf star and puts out much less heat than our Sun.

At least three planets are orbiting close to the star, and one of them appears to be close enough that it likely absorbs about as much incoming light and energy as Earth, has similar surface temperatures and perhaps water.

The new rocky planet, GJ 667Cc, orbits its star every 28.15 days – meaning its year equals about one Earth month – and has a mass at least 4.5 times that of Earth, according to the research published in Astrophysical Journal Letters.

"This planet is the new best candidate to support liquid water and, perhaps, life as we know it," said Guillem Anglada-Escudi who was with the Carnegie Institution for Science when he conducted the research but has since moved on to the University of Gottingen in Germany.

The theory about water, however, cannot be confirmed until astronomers learn more about the planet's atmosphere.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
That's pretty close. If we can reach just HALF the speed of light, we can get there in 58 years. Three-quarters and we're there in 29.

jiggle

A fourth potentially habitable planet outside our solar system – about 22 light-years from Earth – with temperatures that could support water and lifen has been discovered by international astronomers.

depressing
that's like hundreds of thousands of years away at our current achievable speed(?) :(

Myansie

I remember reading the James Webb telescope will be able to see planets 25 light years away. That means we could actually get a photo of this planet. Admittedly it would probably be like looking at Venus with the naked eye, but still cool.

Eastern Hemisphere is best hemisphere

shwpE.jpg

or is it...?

tBV96.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just thinking about the beauty of our planet and the number of planets just like ours in our galaxy alone makes me incredibly happy and unbelievably sad.

pestul

My favourite thing is how all images which have the slightest imperfection imply GIANT GOVERNMENT COVER-UP.
Yep, the recent 'dark side of the Moon' photos released were obviously riddled with mysterious alien bases and structures according to the loonies..

Seep

Does anyone have any links to videos of a shuttle launch where the camera is on the shuttle and not the boosters and just carries on into space. Hopefully looking back at earth so it just gets smaller and smaller?

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure how related this is, but here are some screen caps I took playing this space explorer called 'Space Engine'. It's truly magnificent when you get the hang of the controls.

mountain_sunset_by_sentry15-d4obdhc.jpg

sunsets_in_space_by_sentry15-d4obczi.jpg

[procedural planet in the orion nebula]
planet_of_orion___3_by_sentry15-d4obdd9.jpg

home_sweet_home_by_sentry15-d4obdxv.jpg

alive_and_well_by_sentry15-d4obdjx.jpg

sombrero_galaxy_by_sentry15-d4obdf1.jpg

set_the_controls_for____by_sentry15-d4obd7j.jpg

[all known/mapped/charted galaxies]
those_aren__t_stars____by_sentry15-d4obd1z.jpg

Here's the rest of them.

Forsete

Not sure how related this is, but here are some screen caps I took playing this space explorer called 'Space Engine'. It's truly magnificent when you get the hang of the controls.

Here's the rest of them.[/URL]

I love playing around in that.

Teknoman

I dont know about the rest of that government cover up stuff, but I will say non-terrestrial officers does sound interesting. Probably some sort of military stuff though, since even the hacker they interviewed (Gary McKinnon) said he didnt think of aliens when reading that.

Anyway, anyone else heard of "The Great Attractor"? Just found out about it via that scale of the universe 2.0 thread. Are all galaxies being slightly drawn to it, or just the few in our local group? Doubt it could be some sort of incredibly large black hole, so could it just be a tight group of galaxies causing a pull on everything else, or just a gravity anomaly?

noah111

Still Alive
Despite living in America I think the best Blue Marble images are the ones with Africa in them. Africa is seen as the birthplace of humanity, the cradle of life. I think its fitting for the main, iconic image of earth from space to be focused in on Africa.
I agree, and it really sucks ass how the stitch marks are present in the African-continent version, it's almost like they purposefully didn't clean up that version just to get the US/NA version more views. :lol

Despite living in America I think the best Blue Marble images are the ones with Africa in them. Africa is seen as the birthplace of humanity, the cradle of life. I think its fitting for the main, iconic image of earth from space to be focused in on Africa.

I agree, and it really sucks ass how the stitch marks are present in the African-continent version, it's almost like they purposefully didn't clean up that version just to get the US/NA version more views. :lol

final-world-map1.jpg

Wow I've seen Alaska and the contiguous 48 states on a map a million times before but never realized how big Alaska is in comparison.

Wow I've seen Alaska and the contiguous 48 states on a map a million times before but never realized how big Alaska is in comparison.

It's not to scale. More a joke as to the myopic viewpoint of so many of my fellow Americans. Scale image would be more akin to:

Alaska-Size-660w.gif

Apologies; didn't mean to thread derail.

Ohh ok, that makes more sense. I thought maybe maps have always been kind of like optical illusions - Canada has been dwarfing Alaska and I never realized the true size before or something. Still, Alaska is pretty damn big.

Majine

Banned
Why is the sun being portraited as yellow (or red) in almost all space documentaries? I thought its actually white but as its light enters our atmosphere part of it is filtered out, making it seem more yellow.

Majine

Banned
EDIT:

Err, I dunno then. Why would it be called a yellow star if it's white?

Because the term is older than the discovery? Space photography isn't (or hasn't been until recently, but not sure) using color, that's added in later with filters.

Top Bottom