• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Actually, no. You could have a semi-steady state universe, Fred Hoyle style, in which there is continuous creation of matter and still have a universe that is both infinite and eternal. That would imply that an accelerating universe is a local phenomena that results from local processes of matter creation, with different regions accelerating at different rates. However, this scenario has more problems than the big bang has and there's no real evidence that it is indeed the case. Conceptually though, it could happen.

What are you saying "no" to? These are all just theories, and what you mentioned is not the common most accepted theory these days.

aeroslash

THis launch video is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=2aCOyOvOw5c#!

When the sound starts to vanish and it's all scary all of a sudden... wow.

As others have said...AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

The stop of the sound is incredible.

Btw...i've been reading GAF for years and i've been a member for some weeks now, and men...why didn't i find this thread earlier? I love everything space related!
Since i was a child i dreamt of watching the earth from the outside but as i grow and became conscious of the difficulty of that, i settled for a little lower and became an aeroplane pilot. I hope to learn many new things from this thread!

Gorgon

What are you saying "no" to? These are all just theories, and what you mentioned is not the common most accepted theory these days.

I'm saying that the expansion per si doesn't necessarily imply that:

it became clear that there needed to have been a starting point, otherwise the universe would just be static

The big bang, as I said, is the theory that currently explains the evidence better, but the expansion itself could have other causes, as put forth in semi-steady state theory. I didn't say that the big bang was wrong or that semi-state was a better theory, just that accelariting expansion of the observable universe does not prove by itself a starting point of origin, as you implied. You can have expansion without a starting point.

That was incredible.

Dumb question: How do they prevent these booster rockets from falling on people's property?
Do they purposefully eject them over the ocean?

NASA also closes the shipping lanes affected by the launch and the booster splashdown area, to avoid any chance that a ship could be hit.

zJ6ym.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17399985

test jump for the eventual record breaking attempt (trying to break Kittinger's record)

This and those SRB videos are so wonderful because they really destroy the illusion that somehow our everyday lives are one reality and the universe around is some untouchable other.

Desperado

Someone already mentioned it here, but Carl Sagan's quote (and one of his best) "we are a way for the universe to know itself" almost leads me to believe that life is inevitable given enough time. Meaning even if the primary elements in the universe were completely different, life would still arise. It also makes me think that the universe may have some sort of conscious, hence the part about knowing itself. But we basically are the universe. We are in it, and it is in us. Life was not a fluke.

I think you've taken some GIANT leaps from a poetic quote. See this Iron Chariots Wiki article on the anthropic principle.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Not exactly space related, but I love the space shuttle program, and anyone else here who might will probably appreciate this.

Bought it recently and just put it together the other night. This is one Lego set that I'm going to keep on display, in honor of one of the USA's finest achievements.

I love Alan Watts. But I don't have this.. might have to check it out!

It's a great book but I only recommend it to a few people (I believe its point is lost if you’ve not already arrived to many of his suggestions before reading it.) If you're a fan of Alan Watts I think you'll enjoy it tremendously.

Though this was interesting ...

Square Galaxy Discovered

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/5425/astronomers-discover-emerald-cut-galaxy

"In the universe around us, most galaxies exist in one of three forms: spheroidal, disc-like, or lumpy and irregular in appearance," said lead author Alister Graham from Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne of the paper to be published in The Astrophysical Journal.

He said the rare rectangular-shaped galaxy was a very unusual object. "It's one of those things that just makes you smile because it shouldn't exist, or rather you don't expect it to exist.

cFu0S.jpg

Square Galaxy Discovered

"In the universe around us, most galaxies exist in one of three forms: spheroidal, disc-like, or lumpy and irregular in appearance," said lead author Alister Graham from Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne of the paper to be published in The Astrophysical Journal.

He said the rare rectangular-shaped galaxy was a very unusual object. "It's one of those things that just makes you smile because it shouldn't exist, or rather you don't expect it to exist.

cFu0S.jpg

For some reason the bolded part of that sentence bothers me. Anyways, I think that's pretty neat; I love finding 'natural geometry.'

Square Galaxy Discovered

cFu0S.jpg

Neat. While it's edges aren't totally squared off it's still unlike the standard shapes we know of. It reminds me of cracklin' oat bran.

is there a planet visible right now? theres this super bright star in the sky. Im pretty certain its not a plane!

Both Venus and Jupiter are bright right now. Jupiter is usually always bright, but Venus is exceptionally bright at the moment. Mars is very prominent in the sky at this time as well. I've been looking at all three with my telescope lately.

Saturn is still better.

Apath

How cool would it be if our sun belonged to a super cluster. The night sky would be absolutely jaw dropping to look at.
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't a super cluster a grouping of clusters of galaxies? As in, our sun is a part of the Milky Way, which is a part of the local cluster, which is a part of the virgo super cluster? So wouldn't the sun technically be a part of a super cluster?
You're probably seeing something like this. Venus and Jupiter have been dancing for the last few weeks:

venus-jupiter-over-old-farmstead-2-march-10-2012.jpg
I've noticed this the past few nights. I assumed the brighter one was Jupiter, just because it's always the brightest thing in the night sky next to the moon. But my friend's Android app says the brighter one is actually Venus (which given its closer proximity to us and the sun makes sense).

EDIT: Someone answered that I guess. Why is Venus so bright at the moment? Or is it always that bright and just not as visible in our sky?

And someone mentioned Saturn. Is Saturn the star that's slightly less brighter than Jupiter, but a more... "pure" bluish light?

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't a super cluster a grouping of clusters of galaxies? As in, our sun is a part of the Milky Way, which is a part of the local cluster, which is a part of the virgo super cluster? So wouldn't the sun technically be a part of a super cluster?

I've noticed this the past few nights. I assumed the brighter one was Jupiter, just because it's always the brightest thing in the night sky next to the moon. But my friend's Android app says the brighter one is actually Venus (which given its closer proximity to us and the sun makes sense).

EDIT: Someone answered that I guess. Why is Venus so bright at the moment? Or is it always that bright and just not as visible in our sky?

And someone mentioned Saturn. Is Saturn the star that's slightly less brighter than Jupiter, but a more... "pure" bluish light?

Star clusters are groups of stars. Galaxies are also grouped into clusters; for example the Milky way is part of a group of 50 closely bound galaxies known as the Local Group, itself being part of the Virgo Supercluster.

Venus is exceptionally bright because it is covered in a thick layer of greenhouse gases, causing its surface to be notably reflective (and not that great for telescope viewing,) planet Venus is also very close to Earth at present.

Apath

Star clusters are groups of stars. Galaxies are also grouped into clusters; for example the Milky way is part of a group of 50 closely bound galaxies known as the Local Group, itself being part of the Virgo Supercluster.
I did not realize that there were galaxy clusters and star clusters, though in retrospect that makes sense and seems obvious.

Venus is exceptionally bright because it is covered in a very thick layer of greenhouse gases. This makes its surface extremely reflective (and not that great for telescope viewing,) planet Venus is also very close to Earth at present.
But is it usually so bright? And if so, why is it usually not as noticeable? My only conclusion is that it's currently in an unusual state of orbit where we are very close to one another. Would that be the reason for its high luminosity?

derFeef

I did not realize that there were galaxy clusters and star clusters, though in retrospect that makes sense and seems obvious.

But is it usually so bright? And if so, why is it usually not as noticeable? My only conclusion is that it's currently in an unusual state of orbit where we are very close to one another. Would that be the reason for its high luminosity?

You probably do not recognize it, just like with every planet. The neat part of the Venus is, if you watch it through a telescope (or a good bino) you can see that it has phases like our Moon because it is an inner planet.

Top Bottom