• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish Festival Cancels Jewish-American's Act Over Not Endorsing Palestinian State

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entirety of this thought process boils down to finding a justifiable technically non-anti-semtic reason ignoring the reality and history of these movements, Spanish anti-semtism, and the growing anti-semetic movement in Europe which has been using the palestinian statehood debate to attack Jews.

You find these type of "lets give them the benefit of the doubt" arguments in every type of bigoted argument, from Anti-black crimes, anti-latino, anti-muslim, anti-transgender. Of course its possible to concoct a justification that doesn't rest on his Jewish heritage but doing so ignores reality, history and a litany of studies, and the fact that of course no one would actually admit such a thing, just like no one says their transphobic, racist, xenophobic etc. It doesn't mean that's not the underlying justification and reason.
The biggest anti-semitic groups in Europe are still the Neonazi/Fascists and they aren't propalestine at all.

BowieZ

Banned
While BDS may or may not have done the best thing here, why are people racing to accuse BDS of antisemitism?

From what I can tell, BDS is pursuing what should in theory be a noble cause: to pressure Israel into ending its occupation of and illegal settlements in Palestine.

Should people who fight for this cause really be tarred with a brush of "racist scum"?

Yes, the way they have gone about some of these attempts at pressure may be counterproductive, but is it really "antisemitic" to call for the boycott of (perceived to be) known outspoken defenders of Israel's occupation?

Basically, I'm just sick of anything anti-Israel being labelled "anti-Semitic" or racist. It completely obfuscates any legitimate argument, IMHO.

Cagey

Banned
While BDS may or may not have done the best thing here, why are people racing to accuse BDS of antisemitism?

From what I can tell, BDS is pursuing what should in theory be a noble cause: to pressure Israel into ending its occupation of and illegal settlements in Palestine.

Should people who fight for this cause really be tarred with a brush of "racist scum"?

Yes, the way they have gone about some of these attempts at pressure may be counterproductive, but is it really "antisemitic" to call for the boycott of (perceived to be) known outspoken defenders of Israel's occupation?

Basically, I'm just sick of anything anti-Israel being labelled "anti-Semitic" or racist. It completely obfuscates any legitimate argument, IMHO.

Because there's something ugly about forcing a purity-of-issue test on someone because of their race, ethnicity, or religious views.

And, in this case, that something ugly is anti-semitic bigotry.

BDS's goals don't stop at ending the occupation, their stated aims include a total right of return for anyone who claims to be a descendant of a refugee, which, if enacted and used by a significant number of Palestinians, would mean an end to a Jewish state. In other words, they favour a non-violent destruction of Israel.

People are accusing them of antisemitism because they have a long history of antisemitism. Though to be fair it is hard to say who 'they' are because members and local chapters may act independently.

Iksenpets

Banned

Advocating for a Palestinian state doesn't mean that you should be able to interrogate any Jewish person about their stances on the issue prior to doing business with them. That's like saying you're anti-gang, so you're going to ask all your black performers about their gang affiliation. It's incredibly racist. And it doesn't do anything to put actual financial pressure on Israel, and just gives them legitimate ammo to paint their opponents as anti-Semites. There are legitimate ways to put pressure on Israel, including boycotts, and they're going to use the anti-Semitism argument to press back against them, and shit like this is going to make them look right.

I think that Europe is not antisemitic, but deeply antizionist.

Yes, that's why they attack Jewish cemeteries and synagogues in France

And anti-zionism is anti-jews being able to have a nation. AKA denying them self-determination (this does not mean one must agree with the policy of Israel or the occupation of Palestinian Territory)

megateto

And anti-zionism is anti-jews being able to have a nation. AKA denying them self-determination (this does not mean one must agree with the policy of Israel or the occupation of Palestinian Territory)

What I meant is that your average European hasn't got a problem with jews and their religion, but does have a problem with Israel stance with Palestine.

Ikael

Not a fan of Matiyashu's political positions at all, but I am ashamed to see my fellow Spaniards doing the same shit that we've been doing for ages: Demanding inconditional ideological purity. Fuck that noise.

Edit: And yes, this is a wholly ideological thing, rather than racial or religious. That doesn't stop it from being utterly fucked up

I think that Europe is not antisemitic, but deeply antizionist.

Our Spanish left wing certainly is (anti-zionist to its very core), which is where idiocies like this steams from.

Because they are targeting every and any Israeli Or Jew without any respect for those corporations and individuals' stance or action regarding the conflict.

May or may not? Come on... Trying to exclude the only Jewish singer from a freaking reggae festival, out of hundreds of performers none of which have been asked to state or prove anything in order to have their appearance confirmed. What do you call that exactly? What do you think antisemitism is exactly?

I'm sure there are a lot of good willed and misguided people supporting BDS. But their leaders are racist scums who are doing shit to help Palestinians. Trying to ban or censor Jewish scientists (read on Ada Yonath...) , artists, musicians, filmmakers (who are more often than not supporting Palestinian cause) is not helping Palestinians.

I'm fine with people boycotting Israeli products or services if they so wish but please don't stop at dates and oranges. go all the way stop using any Israeli technology and enjoy your smartphoneless life. Hopefully you won't get one of those nasty diseases treated by zionist molecules.

Not a fan of Matiyashu's political positions at all, but I am ashamed to see my fellow Spaniards doing the same shit that we've been doing for ages: Demanding inconditional ideological purity. Fuck that noise.

Edit: And yes, this is a wholly ideological thing, rather than racial or religious. That doesn't stop it from being utterly fucked up

Our Spanish left wing certainly is (anti-zionist to its very core), which is where idiocies like this steams from.

Please make a video condemning Spanish inquisition if you want to stay on this forum ;p

Idde

The entirety of this thought process boils down to finding a justifiable technically non-anti-semtic reason ignoring the reality and history of these movements, Spanish anti-semtism, and the growing anti-semetic movement in Europe which has been using the palestinian statehood debate to attack Jews.

About the bolded. Or perhaps Israel deserves all of the flack it gets for the horrible human rights violations its committing, and that incorrectly gets labeled as anti-semetic? There's anti-semetism in Europe, sure, but that shouldn't be mixed up with valid criticism towards Israel. There's also racism in Europe with regards to Muslims, but that also shouldn't be mixed up with valid criticism towards certain aspects of Islam that don't fit in Europe. It's not like all of Europe is antisemite, and nothing but antisemite.

You find these type of "lets give them the benefit of the doubt" arguments in every type of bigoted argument, from Anti-black crimes, anti-latino, anti-muslim, anti-transgender. Of course its possible to concoct a justification that doesn't rest on his Jewish heritage but doing so ignores reality, history and a litany of studies, and the fact that of course no one would actually admit such a thing, just like no one says their transphobic, racist, xenophobic etc. It doesn't mean that's not the underlying justification and reason.

Or you know, perhaps people aren't actually racist or antisemite or homophobic or whatever and criticism (understandibly) gets misconstrued as such because of an (understandable) bias.

Edited.

Keasar

So people now think that because a person is Jewish, that person is somehow representative of Israel?

The fuck?

Or perhaps Israel deserves all of the flack it gets for the horrible human rights violations its committing, and that incorrectly gets labeled as anti-semetic? There's anti-semetism in Europe, sure, but that shouldn't be mixed up with valid criticism towards Israel. There's also racism in Europe with regards to Muslims, but that also shouldn't be mixed up with valid criticism towards certain aspects of Islam that don't fit in Europe. It's not like all of Europe is antisemite, and nothing but antisemite.

Or you know, perhaps people aren't actually racist or antisemite or homophobic or whatever and criticism (understandibly) gets misconstrued as such because of an (understandable) bias.

Because forcing someone to make a political statement based purely on their ethnic or religious background is gross.

Valhelm

contribute something
So people now think that because a person is Jewish, that person is somehow representative of Israel?

The fuck?

To countries like Spain, with essentially no modern Jewish population, there is no difference between an Israeli and a Jew of the diaspora.

Quixzlizx

About the bolded. Or perhaps Israel deserves all of the flack it gets for the horrible human rights violations its committing, and that incorrectly gets labeled as anti-semetic? There's anti-semetism in Europe, sure, but that shouldn't be mixed up with valid criticism towards Israel. There's also racism in Europe with regards to Muslims, but that also shouldn't be mixed up with valid criticism towards certain aspects of Islam that don't fit in Europe. It's not like all of Europe is antisemite, and nothing but antisemite.

Edited.

Your attitude that Jews = Israel is anti-semitic.

RangerX

Banned
I am a massive supporter of the Palestinians and I find the Israeli government's actions repugnant at the very least but this is just pure anti-semitism. The guy wasn't political and he shouldn't have to answer for the crimes of Israel just because hes Jewish. Pretty disgusting.

Idde

Because forcing someone to make a political statement based purely on their ethnic or religious background is gross.

Completely agreed. If some random Jewish artist who never articulated any negative feelings towards Palestine, or positive feelings towards the current actions of Israel was asked the same question, then he'd be asked solely because he's Jewish. And that's antisemitism, and the world has seen more than enough of that.

However, if you google Matisyahu and Palestine, and the first hit is an article on his facebook with the title "The truth is, we are all living in Israel. It’s just that some of us haven’t realized it yet.", which has a clear pro-Israel and anti-Palestine bias, perhaps then the question makes more sense? Especially when the festival in question also has it's own bias in freedom, and conflates that with a pro-palestine agenda?

Your attitude that Jews = Israel is anti-semitic.

Could you specify where I said that? Because that's certainly not what I meant to imply. More the opposite, as a matter of fact. Criticism of Israel = good. Antisemitism = bad. Seeing criticism of Israel as antisemitism = bad. Because when I criticize Israel that doesn't say one thing about Judaism or Jewish people. Zionism, however...

Oh really? They were following their morals based on facts presented by BDS but changed their mind due to bad PR?

Why don't we look at the official statement.

It was a "campaign of pressure, coercion and threats" by the local BDS chapter that resulted in the decision. I don't know if the particular people involved were anti-semites, but the movement as a whole has a long history of deceit, threatening behaviour, and also, unfortunately, anti-semitism.

There are two things happening in this discussion and they aren't directly related.

1. I am making the case that the rejection of this performer has nothing to do with the fact that he is merely Jewish but rather that he is a musician who has made controversial remarks regarding Israel/Palestine.

2. So far, it appears that both of you have completely ignored or dismissed the relevance of this point and instead focused on emphasising the subtle racist undertones of the BDS movement to argue the case that he was a target purely because he was Jewish.

The BDS movement clearly rejects any cultural export of Israel. i can understand the merits of this position. I can also see the danger of that, particularly in regards to anti-semitism.

• Is this a case where they wanted to reject him because he was an "export of Israeli culture"? Considering that he's America, that would be a contentious argument but I can see some within the BDS making such a claim.
  • Is this a case of him being a performer who has has made insensitive remarks about the situation in Palestine? Entirely possible, if not likely.
  • Or is it because he's Jewish? Let's put it this way: if he was sympathetic to Palestinians and opposed to the Israeli government's actions, would the BDS would have "pressured and coerced" the festival to drop him? I don't think so.

These are very straight forward points I'm making but it seems that to me that you're using it to as an opportunity to criticise the BDS movement and highlight prejudice more so than discussing the actual details of this case. Whether the merit of that argument, its not one I'm actually involved in here.

The only reasonable conclusion here is that the BDS had a morally legitimate (imo) cause to protest against him and for the festival organisers to drop him. Whether or not they had other motives is another discussion. But the OP did not make mention of any context which is what I'm trying to do.

Quixzlizx

Completely agreed. If some random Jewish artist who never articulated any negative feelings towards Palestine, or positive feelings towards the current actions of Israel was asked the same question, then he'd be asked solely because he's Jewish. And that's antisemitism, and the world has seen more than enough of that.

However, if you google Matisyahu and Palestine, and the first hit is an article on his facebook with the title "The truth is, we are all living in Israel. It’s just that some of us haven’t realized it yet.", which has a clear pro-Israel and anti-Palestine bias, perhaps then the question makes more sense? Especially when the festival in question also has it's own bias in freedom, and conflates that with a pro-palestine agenda?

Could you specify where I said that? Because that's certainly not what I meant to imply.

Well, you replied to a statement about attacks on Jews with "or maybe Israel deserves all of the flack it gets."

Idde

Well, you replied to a statement about attacks on Jews with "or maybe Israel deserves all of the flack it gets."

I apologize if it came across like that. Those weren't supposed to appear to be linked. No flack on Israel justifies attacks on Jews.

And? That doesn't discount other groups or downplay their actions
Still, almost all the anti-semitic violence in Europe is either of fascist/neonazi origin or of Muslim origin and while left-wing pro-palestinian groups may have anti-semitic tendencies (like in this case) they are hardly the biggest problem for the Jew in Europe. So yes, I am downplaying their actions since I believe that the can be reasoned with due to being anti-racism at their core.

Quixzlizx

I apologize if it came across like that. Those weren't supposed to appear to be linked. No flack on Israel justifies attacks on Jews.

That's cool if it was unintentional. There are some posters who kind of freely flow between "Jews" "Zionists" and "Israelis," so I thought I'd point it out, especially since the subject of this thread is an American Jew (who admittedly is probably a Zionist, although it doesn't seem to be a focus of his public image or art).

Who is they?

And why should jewish people must have a nation? Do protestant, christian, sunni, shiite, hindu etc should have a country too?

Let's put it this way: if he was sympathetic to Palestinians and opposed to the Israeli government's actions, would the BDS would have "pressured and coerced" the festival to drop him? I don't think so.

Of course they wouldn't have dropped him. The only Jews BDS can stand are those who oppose Israel (and only Israel).

They even put it as a condition to his presence. Which is where you are actually intellectually dishonest (or unsound):

No other performer (there were hundreds) were asked anything about the subject. No other performer's opinion on the subject was questioned or in any way put under scrutiny. No other performer was subjected to blackmail.

And It shouldn't matter what he or the others think anyway.

Looking forward to BDS trying to have Bob Marley songs censored though.

Dude Abides

Banned
I dont know why you guys are talking about religious groups when Zionism is an ethnic ideology, not a religious one. The list of ethnic groups without a nation state is a mile long. Ethnic nationalism is a 19th century concept.

And why should jewish people must have a nation? Do protestant, christian, sunni, shiite, hindu etc should have a country too?

I don't have a facepalm gif big enough for this one.

Edit: might have found one

GefhRAA.jpg

Walpurgis

Banned
ITT: Guy says makes insensitive comments and says Palestine doesn't exist. BDS pushes festival to drop him. People call BDS anti-semitic and say he was targeted just because he is a Jew.

All those groups already do. Israel is literally the only nation-state on the planet with a majority-Jewish population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions_by_country

The next closest by percentage are Gibraltar and the United States, which are both sub-3.0%.

That's not the same thing at all, in basically every other country in the planet (except maybe in the Middle East, i'm not sure) every citizen of said country is treated the same regardless of it's religion which is not the case in Israel where jewish people are first class citizen by law.

Baki

Who are 'they'? This comes off as very racist since you can't distinguish against the BDS political movement and the acts of unaffiliated anti-semites.

That's not the same thing at all, in basically every other country in the planet (except maybe in the Middle East, i'm not sure) every citizen of said country is treated the same regardless of it's religion which is not the case in Israel where jewish people are first class citizen by law.

Plain and utter bullshit mon ami. Israeli citizens are equal in rights regardless of religion.

And a big fat wtf at that bolded part. Please stop.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Could you specify where I said that? Because that's certainly not what I meant to imply. More the opposite, as a matter of fact. Criticism of Israel = good. Antisemitism = bad. Seeing criticism of Israel as antisemitism = bad. Because when I criticize Israel that doesn't say one thing about Judaism or Jewish people. Zionism, however...

This is my feelings on it. If it was just some random performer who happened to be Jewish, but wasn't outspoken on things I'd think it's targeted.

Yet Matisyahu has taken public stances on this already which puts his opinion and himself as a public performer in the public sphere.

Maybe I'm just missing something about it all at first glance though.

Cagey

Banned

You shifted arguments from "why do Jews need their own country? do other religious groups have a country?" to "the country that exists has shit policies."

Of course they wouldn't have dropped him. The only Jews BDS can stand are those who oppose Israel (and only Israel).

They even put it as a condition to his presence. Which is where you are actually intellectually dishonest (or unsound):

No other performer (there were hundreds) were asked anything about the subject. No other performer's opinion on the subject was questioned or in any way put under scrutiny. No other performer was subjected to blackmail.

And It shouldn't matter what he or the others think anyway.

Looking forward to BDS trying to have Bob Marley songs censored though.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that him being Jewish led the BDS to look into him?

Plain and utter bullshit mon ami. Israeli citizens are equal in rights regardless of religion.

And a big fat wtf at that bolded part. Please stop.

Then why is there different nationality which provides different right and duty?

http://www.medea.be/fr/pays/israel/citoyennete-israelienne/

No need to get aggressive, if i'm wrong so be it but no need to get all high and mighty.

You shifted arguments from "why do Jews need their own country? do other religious groups have a country?" to "the country that exists has shit policies."

I didn't shifted my argument, There's no "Christian state" or "Hindou state", ISIS is not recognize so it doesn't really count.

Then why is there different nationality which provides different right and duty?

http://www.medea.be/fr/pays/israel/citoyennete-israelienne/

No need to get aggressive, if i'm wrong so be it but no need to get all high and mighty.

That website you linked put quite a spin on very simple facts:

- All Israeli citizens have the same rights, regardless of ethnicity or religion (emphasis on rights)
- Arab citizens are exempted from compulsory service in the Israel Defense Forces but they may serve voluntarily.

That's it. They can opt in but are not required to, unlike Jews and Druze. I fail to see how that make them second class citizens.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that him being Jewish led the BDS to look into him?

Well infer what you will from the fact they didn't ask anything nor made a background check on anyone else.

The festival invited him to sing in the first place. It's only when other bands threatened to drop out if he appeared that they blackmailed him. Because apparently it's cool to make the Jew justify that he's a good Jew (I.e. not a zionist) but that moral or political standard doesn't apply to anyone else. Or something?

Well infer what you will from the fact they didn't ask anything nor made a background check on anyone else.

The festival invited him to sing in the first place. It's only when other bands threatened to drop out if he appeared that they blackmailed him. Because apparently it's cool to make the Jew justify that he's a good Jew (I.e. not a zionist) but that moral or political standard doesn't apply to anyone else. Or something?

Who other than the BDS would know who they looked into? Do we know if there there are non-Jewish supporters of Israel that have been invited to this festival?

However, if you mean they looked into him initially because of racial profiling then yes, I can believe that. But we're moving away from the actual point: the original story left out an important aspect that made it seem like the organisers straight out rejected him because he was a Jew not willing to make a political statement. Turns out that they said no because he made political statements. That is the only point I am making.

Thread title is bullshit misleading and frankly it does nothing to help the argument against the BDS movement.

Who other than the BDS would know who they looked into? Do we know if there there are non-Jewish supporters of Israel that have been invited to this festival?

LOL

A question paramount to organising a Reggae festival.

Turns out that they said no because he made political statements. That is the only point I am making.

So what?

They didn't ask anything of anyone else.

Should everything in the world be gauged through one's view on the israelo-palestinian conflict?
Or maybe we should all simply refuse to engage in any cultural relationship, let alone political, with anyone we perceive as representing something we don't like or agree with?

Because we are all fucked either way if that's where we're heading.

collige

Banned
That website you linked put quite a spin on very simple facts:

- All Israeli citizens have the same rights, regardless of ethnicity or religion (emphasis on rights)
- Arab citizens are exempted from compulsory service in the Israel Defense Forces but they may serve voluntarily.

That's it. They can opt in but are not required to, unlike Jews and Druze. I fail to see how that make them second class citizens.
The bolded most certainly does not apply to marriage laws, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

Mael

This kind of BS is exactly why I'll always consider most anti-zionists organisations as hypocrite at best.
Nothing against Jews my ass.

The bolded most certainly does not apply to marriage laws, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

I was under the assumption that marriage was unfortunately managed by religious communities and that interfaith marriage (or same sex) was only recognised if entered abroad. Which is bullshit but hardly discriminating specifically towards Arabs... Interested in any relevant link you might have on the subject.

/Offtopic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom