• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

Cranzor

good lord.. this game is cruel. AREA 3 TUNNEL SPOILERS:
the tunnel man wants me to bring him a fucking GOLDEN KEY FROM THE MINES TO FINISH THIS THANG..!! AGGGHHHH!

I've made it to 3-4 with it four times and died every single time. The music in the third area is really good though so I don't mind much.

clockpunk

Yeah that's what I'm seeing. Assy! Especially when it's not directly your fault (like a boulder hitting them.)

Agreed - that is really rather overkill...

But I found the
Black Market
on my last playthrough. I know how I did it that time, so hopefully may be able to recreate it!

Voidguts

But I found the
Black Market
on my last playthrough. I know how I did it that time, so hopefully may be able to recreate it!

I found it by
bombing a grave occupied by a crown wearin' skeleton in the jungle.. unfortunately I had stolen a buncha stuff in the mines so it was an absolute madhouse in there.

how'd you get in?

clockpunk

I found it by
bombing a grave occupied by a crown wearin' skeleton in the jungle.. unfortunately I had stolen a buncha stuff in the mines so it was an absolute madhouse in there.

how'd you get in?

I found it completely by chance buried beneath a shrine to Kali. I figured it might have been a constant (I'll admit I don't know why I thought that...) but upon reading your location, I suspect it may well be randomised. Damnit!!

I found it by

how'd you get in?

I thought that route only led to
the haunted house
, not the other place.

If it's like the PC version, then no. They actually start waiting for you at the exits.

Yeah, I made the mistake of picking up an idol at the top of a level and aggro'd the shopkeepers because the boulder killed one at the bottom. Waiting at the exits with a shotgun is basically death considering how fast those fuckers are.

I found it completely by chance buried beneath a shrine to Kali. I figured it might have been a constant (I'll admit I don't know why I thought that...) but upon reading your location, I suspect it may well be randomised. Damnit!!

It is randomized.

You need to use the artifact that you get from the locked chest in the mines. The icon for it will pulse while you're near the entrance in one of the forest levels and then you can bomb your way in.

Don't make the same mistake I did and go while the shopkeeper is mad at you.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Ice Caves shortcut GET

my playtime is getting longer, I was averaging 2 minutes, now it's more like 10

Scarecrow

How do the shortcuts work? I finally made it to the end of the mines and gave the guy a bomb, but the path still says under construction.

clockpunk

It is randomized.

You need to use the artifact that you get from the locked chest in the mines. The icon for it will pulse while you're near the entrance in one of the forest levels and then you can bomb your way in.

Don't make the same mistake I did and go while the shopkeeper is mad at you.

Bah, but what a fantastic coincidence for my first discovery of that place! :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shiiiiit. Just had a great run from the start to 4-2, and got $127,000 in the process. I'm rank 40 right now for that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This game looks awesome. :-D Is there a demo on XBLA?

I just babysat the key from level 1-2 to the exit of level 2-4. I had 22 bombs, and 7 health, but there was a damsel right there. I dropped my key next to her, and fell down a few blocks to put her safely in the exit, being careful because there was a Tiki statue right there. Just needed to grab my key and I'd be in the ice caves, the final stretch, so I jump... and the key is up three blocks. I can only jump two. I have no ropes. I begin to cry. My only chance is to throw a bomb up there and hope I can blow a little step into the level, so I throw a bomb, it bounces up, it bounces down, it hits me on the head, it knocks me unconscious, it blows me up.

Damn you, Spelunky!

I second the hatred of Tiki Traps. They're the thing that kills me 90% of the time. They're just so damn subtle, but I guess that's most of this game's traps... arrow traps and skeletons being a close second.

Just out of interest, does everyone use damsels to set off arrow traps or is it just me?

Felt kind of bad when one of them bounced onto some spikes and died. Oops.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just out of interest, does everyone use damsels to set off arrow traps or is it just me?

Felt kind of bad when one of them bounced onto some spikes and died. Oops.

I use rocks, mice, skel heads, dropping equipped weapons, and pots for that. Though I do use damsels to kill bats and spiders.

My furthest run has been 3-4 so far. Was killed right in front of the door to 4-1... :/

Mazre

Just opened up the final shortcut with an epic maneuver. Had worked my way to the bottom of 3-4 and needed to move laterally to the exit. Was on a lone block when I noticed a laser coming towards me, the span across was too far and I was just to low to reach my previous position. Toss a rope up, do a hook jump around the laser, watch the block get destroyed, grab the rope as it unfurls and climb up to a previous rope and around a higher platform then lowered down to the exit. Game is just fantastic.

Edit: Oh man, darkened temple is some kind of cruel joke.

I second the hatred of Tiki Traps. They're the thing that kills me 90% of the time. They're just so damn subtle, but I guess that's most of this game's traps... arrow traps and skeletons being a close second.

Tiki Traps are all I die from in the Jungle. I'll think I have the jump clear but nope, skewered and dead.

So far my best combination is the shotgun + cape. Any time I get that combo I easily make it to the ice caves but have yet to beat them, usually due to a colossal screw-up or being out of ropes. I also got the
kapala
from sacrificing two pugs to Kali, but I'm not sure what it did.

Papercuts

Damn, I think I was onto something crazy. Found
the black market, something exploded and made all of the shopekeepers mad...that's like 7+ angry shotgunning crazy fucks. I just bolted and grabbed a ton of bombs, 40+, and let them fly all over the place. Got the Ankh, a shotgun, and left. I ended up getting the Hedjet hat or something and ended up dying to that annoying fucking anubis enemy.

I killed 9 shopkeepers that game, too. Jetpack + shotgun is amazing.

Kifimbo

Stepped in the temple for the first time with 4 hearts (after I started from the beginning!), and 10 seconds later I was dead.

Holy shiiiiit. Just had a great run from the start to 4-2, and got $127,000 in the process. I'm rank 40 right now for that.

Dang, nice work. I was going to come in here and brag that I just hit rank 44. :p

I had an epic run, with a cape, shotgun, climbing gloves, a bunch of sticky bombs and ropes, and around 8 health. Had a couple close calls in the ice caves, but I made it through, only to get smoked by
the alien boss in the mothership
. Still made it out with a pretty nice score despite only making it to 3-4. I probably could have won that game if I would have stayed on the main path instead of getting greedy.

Shurs

I feel like the Leaderboard is borked.

I just died in world 2-2 and it lists my level on the leaderboard as 1-3.

Papercuts

Trying to get the key to the end of the cave...and I get a dark level in the jungle. You dicks.

So I found out that the camera has a couple nice perks that make it less useless than I originally thought.

1) The flash is nice for lighting up dark levels
2) (fourth area enemy spoilers)
It one-shots mummies

Still not sure if it's worth hauling around. That's one of my few complaints about the gameplay -- the shotgun is the just about the only carryable item that seems worth the hassle. Otherwise you have to juggle a lot of trips with idols/damsels for not a lot of benefit.

Papercuts

So I found out that the camera has a couple nice perks that make it less useless than I originally thought.

1) The flash is nice for lighting up dark levels
2) (fourth area enemy spoilers)
It one-shots mummies

Still not sure if it's worth hauling around. That's one of my few complaints about the gameplay -- the shotgun is the just about the only carryable item that seems worth the hassle. Otherwise you have to juggle a lot of trips with idols/damsels for not a lot of benefit.

It also stuns the ghost.

But yeah, a lot of the carry items are too much of a hassle in general to bother. Even with the shotgun you can sorta light up dark levels.

moonbeam

Can we map the buttons? Would like to use the arcade stick for this.

I tried the demo with my TE stick and it did NOT work - at the menu screen it keeps scrolling through the options as if I was holding the stick up or down. I still managed to get into the game but again had issues - for example if I tapped right it would act if I'd continued to hold right. Same for tapping left - I keep going left. Setting the stick to be the left analog stick or d-pad made no difference. Really weird.

Is anyone having success spelunking with an arcade stick??

I tried the demo with my TE stick and it did NOT work - at the menu screen it keeps scrolling through the options as if I was holding the stick up or down. I still managed to get into the game but again had issues - for example if I tapped right it would act if I'd continued to hold right. Same for tapping left - I keep going left. Setting the stick to be the left analog stick or d-pad made no difference. Really weird.

Is anyone having success spelunking with an arcade stick??

I had the same problem with the fight pad.

bon

I just had a pretty good run, made it up to floor 13. Jetpacks REALLY help. Unfortunately I killed myself with that staff weapon.

a3127158c74911e1bef722000a1e8bb5_7.jpg

dock

I'm shocked at how good the controls feel with the analogue stick. I hate the 360 for the most part (largely due to the shitty dpad) but I never felt myself noticing the controls in this.

I completed the PC version using a USB Saturn controller, and last night I bought the 360 version and got to level 4.3 without the controls feeling like a barrier! :)

Also tried a little two player, which was pretty chaotic. I like the resurrection technique, and it mixes things up enough with ghosts that it is still fun to play whilst dead.

Papercuts

Random tips I've been finding out:

1. There is always a pick axe hidden at the
bottom of a snake pit
in the mines.

2. The small harmless creatures in a level (rats, mini frogs) can be picked up and thrown to trigger traps.

3. If you see an Ash gravestone on
"the dead are restless" level, bomb it for a shotgun.

4. If you make it to the secret area
the black market and get overcome with greed, throw a rope up at the highest store and let loose some bombs. You will deal with 7 angry shop keepers but you get so many items and bombs it isn't actually all that hard to pull off. Rain bombs on these assholes.

5. Always sacrifice people. From what I can tell the rewards are insanely good. This isn't just damsels either, any enemy you can stun can be set here, though enemies don't let you hold them for long.

6. Even if a damsel dies, use the corpse through the level as a projectile and sacrifice it there's an altar. Might as well put it to good use.

7. Bomb altars for fun.

8. Jump on spikes while slowly descending with a cape.

You would have to have some massive balls to try that, with the kickback and all.

I would rather keep the shotgun compared to using a torch to see. My spelunker's balls know no limits.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The Giant Bomb quick look for this was great, especially with Jeff trying to coax Brad into bombing the altar. "Come on, bomb the evil looking altar... I bet it'll be fun!" or something like that.

I added spoilers to any talking about a location or a level type. I think the rest should be fine.

I think they're all spoilers because the point of Spelunky is to learn this stuff for yourself, by doing. Fair enough posting it because some people won't want to learn for themselves and will find it helpful, but for other people I'd spoiler everything.

Top Bottom