• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

clockpunk

It is the bats that get me the most - damn their purple hides!

I think the 'graveyard' jungle levels are my favourite to play through...

Finally got the temple shortcut finished. Then I started noticing these locked gold doors every once in a while.
I thought I was done carrying that damn key around, but I'm pretty sure those doors are opened with the gold key from the mines. An achievement mentions the city of gold, so I bet the reward is worth it, but... sigh.

Finally got the temple shortcut finished. Then I started noticing these locked gold doors every once in a while.
I thought I was done carrying that damn key around, but I'm pretty sure those doors are opened with the gold key from the mines. An achievement mentions the city of gold, so I bet the reward is worth it, but... sigh.

I'm gonna save you some trouble and tell you you are wrong. I won't tell you the right way though :p (I don't know the proper right way, but understand at least part of it)

Picked this up last night and played for a few hours, it's a blast as expected. I unlocked the
jungle shortcut
and I'm already craving more.

Also, this game would be absolutely amazing on the Vita.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Thought I was gonna have no problems getting to 3-4 with the gold key after getting the compass/jetpack pretty early on...

THE JUNGLE SAID OTHERWISE

=(

I can't stop playing

3. If you see an Ash gravestone on
"the dead are restless" level, bomb it for a shotgun.

I found this one myself and actually excitedly shouted "AWESOME!" when I discovered what I go. Pretty neat little easter egg, if you can call it that.

I don't know if my gaming tastes are evolving or what, but I think I'd rather spend 80 hours in a game like this or Binding of Isaac, replaying randomized levels and getting more skilled, than 80 hours in a land of Skyrim or Amalur or something. The bite-sized chunks make it feel less sloggy, and after every death I'm always "just one more run."

lol, on #Spelunky
media

Why's this game so mean!?!? And is the HD version XBLA only? Also, what's with the "chill" and the music slow down does something come kill you?

EDIT: Yup, a
giant ghost
-___-

Zia

I refuse to do another nighttime jungle level. I'll just throw bombs around my feet and restart.

Embarrassing question: still haven't opened the second tunnel.
What's the best way to acquire a shotgun? I've been through a few sets of the jungle today, and can't get a shopkeeper with a gun. Should I just kill one and, if so, what's the best way to go about doing it? I always have trouble with them.

I refuse to do another nighttime jungle level. I'll just throw bombs around my feet and restart.

What's the best way to acquire a shotgun? I've been through a few sets of the jungle today, and can't get a shopkeeper with a gun. Should I just kill one and, if so, what's the best way to go about doing it? I always have trouble with them.

Tips for your question:
Yeah, just kill/bomb the shopkeeper, especially if you can do it on one of the later levels (2-3 or 2-4). Once you've killed him he will stay angry at you on each successive level, so keep that in mind.

Generally, I like to kill him when I see he has a huge stock of bombs for sale. Once you've killed him, collect the bombs. That way you can use the bombs to protect yourself from him later, and take massive shortcuts through the level.

Here's how I do it. You need to have a few bombs handy:

- Take a rope, and send it toward the ceiling just outside his shop.
- Bomb the area outside his shop, but far enough away that he won't freak out. The goal is to make a hole for him to run into and get stuck in for a while. He has huge hops so he won't always stay in there forever, but he'll stay in long enough to get bombed.
- Throw a bomb toward his shop, then immediately climb the rope and get toward the top. He'll come running out and blasting, and hopefully run into the hole/area you have ready for him. Then just toss bombs down onto him from there, with some good timing, and he'll get blown up, leaving a nice shotgun for you :)

- The other thing to consider is there is often a good drop/chasm outside his shop that means you won't have to spend many bombs. Just do the rope thing (to stay safe), throw the bomb in, and let him run out. He'll go around so crazy that he's VERY likely to kill himself. You'll know when the "crazy" music dies down. Then all you have to do is track down the corpse and the shotgun nearby.

Hope that helps!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If you ever see a shop with the machete, pick it up(he won't be hostile yet), and attack him with it. It'll stun him, keep swiping and he'll die. It's the easiest way to kill him.

Alternativly, if you get the "dead are restless" level in the jungle, look for a grave that says Ash and bomb it for a shotgun. That grave won't always spawn in these though.

Another alternative option:
If you get one of the "undead" jungle levels with lots of vampires and zombies and such, look for a gravestone marked ASH. Bombing the gravestone will result in a shotgun without having to buy it or kill a shopkeeper.

Goddammit. I think I'm just going to avoid the
Black Market
from now on.

I was having a great treasure runthrough. Had enough money to purchase a Jetpack on 1-2, then in 1-4 got a Mattock out of a Mystery Box. Was killing it with 6 health going into the Jungle, and in 2-2 found the
Black Market
AND had accumulated enough wealth to
buy the Ankh legimitately.

As I'm walking back through the shop a bat flies in. I try to crouch so I can drop my Mattock and whip the bat...instead I dig into the shop floor, which causes the shopkeeper to immediately kill me and waste the
Ankh
, aggro'ing all the rest of the shopkeepers and I die again before I can get out.

Fuck.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Goddammit. I think I'm just going to avoid the
Black Market
from now on.

I was having a great treasure runthrough. Had enough money to purchase a Jetpack on 1-2, then in 1-4 got a Mattock out of a Mystery Box. Was killing it with 6 health going into the Jungle, and in 2-2 found the
Black Market
AND had accumulated enough wealth to
buy the Ankh legimitately.

As I'm walking back through the shop a bat flies in. I try to crouch so I can drop my Mattock and whip the bat...instead I dig into the shop floor, which causes the shopkeeper to immediately kill me and waste the
Ankh
, aggro'ing all the rest of the shopkeepers and I die again before I can get out.

Fuck.

Hahaha...

The first time I went here, I shortly heard and exploison and they all got pissed off. I guess a frog exploded somhow.

I had enough to buy the Ankh but couldn't do that now. Most of the shopkeepers killed eachother, I amassed 60+ bombs and got the Ankh via spamming bombs down the hole to his shop. Then I just continued blowing up the floor to easily exit.

It is way too fun to try and kill them all. Pulling it off sets you for the game.

This game is amazing, shame microsoft sent it to die buried away from the dashboard. :(
Made it up to the temple a few times. Now Tunnel man wants
a golden key. Which it seems, can only be found in world one.
Curse you Tunnel Man, you ask too much of me.

How many deaths have you guys racked up? I'm nearing 500 and have only scratched the surface on the fourth world.

Zia

I'm so spoiled by the tunnel to Ice Caves, now. It's like a vacation from the Jungle. I can clear the entire thing in about 1:30 on ave.

Just had a run, got to 4-1 starting in the Mines and I literally had no helpful equipment up until about 3-3. I had 0 rope from 2-2 onwards and ran out of bombs in 3-3, right when I found a crate that got me rope. Also used a
proximity mine to kill a mammoth, which netted me a freeze ray.
Got to 4-1...and it was a dark level. Fuck.
Although I killed Anubis with the freeze ray which rocked, because Anubis' sceptre is sick. Too bad it was dark and I got smushed by one of those Thwomp-ish traps nearly immediately afterwards.
On the plus side, I finished with over $100k and am near the top 100 on the leaderboards now for treasure.

Damn. Trying to get to 4-1 with the
key from the mines
is proving to be pretty difficult.
On the plus side I stumbled upon a new secret level in the jungle.
If you drop a damsel on one of those bulbous red sticky growths found in the jungle, they will be swallowed by a giant worm.
If you drop the damsel then drop onto the growth yourself you will get swallowed too, and can explore a new level inside the worms body.

I'm not optimistic, but I don't think I've ever so immediately craved DLC for a game.

They should release secret DLC without telling anyone. So you're happily wandering through the ice caves one fine Tuesday morning, and then all of a sudden from nowhere a giant fucking WOMBAT comes and screws up your day.

I'm so tempted to pick up an Xbox to play this, Fez, and Trials. I already have a PC & PS3. Is it worth it?

XBLA is the reason I'm holding onto my 360. Trials HD/Evolution is my favorite game of the generation and several other XBLA titles are up there.

Fox Mulder

XBLA is the reason I'm holding onto my 360. Trials HD/Evolution is my favorite game of the generation and several other XBLA titles are up there.

Yeah, I haven't bought a retail game since skyrim came out. After I burned out on that, my 360 has been only used for xbla.

Voidguts

good god. found the
Haunted Castle and made it to the top where a hidden character (who looks awesome, sick mutton chops and a fancy hat) and a huge ass shield were waiting. shield is pretty awesome, you can run with it and smash just about anything against the enviroment + tiki traps can't penetrate it.

I can't believe how much stuff is hidden in this game. so so so awesome.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
It's been awhile since i throwed curses at the TV, this game is pretty awesome but man i do need to take a break sometimes before i lose it. Also fuck NPC companions, fuck them, they are worthless hyperactive pieces of useless shit that only get me killed, god dammit.

Top Bottom