• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

clockpunk

Platformines cannot come to the XBLA Indie channel soon enough. If only MS would publish that as a full Arcade title as well, for the open beta reception seems to have been very well received.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Got the key all the way to 3-4 and then overshot the last jump into the doorway. Feels bad man.

Got the key all the way to 3-4 and then overshot the last jump into the doorway. Feels bad man.

I just managed to do an entire dark jungle level holding the key and lost no health at all.

Died on the next level, obviously.

EDIT: DONE IT! Short cuts get

Gaspode_T

This number of s#!t just got real moments in this game is insane. The rollercoaster feelings of "oh luck is on my side this time" and coming crashing down as you die is pretty much spiritually damaging but something about the way it is put together makes you go back for more. Actually I find it more fun than a roguelike, because roguelike you can have bad strategy and die, this is more like 90% skill and 10% luck.

I'm so fucking pissed right now. Fucking hell.

I had actually done it, I started in 1-1 and made it all the way to 4-4.

With one life left, I managed to duck, weave, and doge Olmec getting him closer and closer to the lava. And on the last hit, Olmec destroyed the bricks and went into the lava...but he created a snail that appeared right on top of me and immediately blew a poison bubble and killed me. I HAD ACTUALLY BEAT HIM AND JUST NEEDED TO GO TO THE DOOR. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

I'm taking a break after that, I can't do that again. Fuck.

I managed to get to 3-4 on my first try, and then there were explosions everywhere for some reason. Now I've been trying to get there again for the past 2 hours...

Been trying to kill the
big alien in the mothership
for the hell of it, but keep getting utterly destroyed. So many stuff around it.

Fox Mulder

ASS!

Finally got to the jungle and with 6 hearts, but was immediately killed by a plant. How was I supposed to know that an enemy I had never seen before couldn't be killed by jumping on it like everything else.

Mazre

ASS!

Finally got to the jungle and with 6 hearts, but was immediately killed by a plant. How was I supposed to know that an enemy I had never seen before couldn't be killed by jumping on it like everything else.

You weren't. Welcome to roguelikes! =D

Zia

Anyone else suicide when they know they're having a busted run? I keep seeing people on Twitter talk about how few deaths they've had on the way to key milestones, and it makes me feel bad because I've died... a lot, because I intentionally kill myself constantly.

Also, now that I've opened up the final tunnel:
Olmec is a bastard.

Cranzor

After 173 plays, I finally managed to beat it without shortcuts and I am still excited to play more. I was lucky and found around 30 bombs which made everything easier. I had a jetpack and an (do not highlight if you like finding out secrets for yourself)
alien gun from the Mothership. Definitely my favorite item in the game

My goal now is to go find some more secrets!

I usually keep going cause sometimes my luck can change. Even when I start and run and get hit by an arrow trap within 5 seconds. =/

Anyone else suicide when they know they're having a busted run? I keep seeing people on Twitter talk about how few deaths they've had on the way to key milestones, and it makes me feel bad because I've died... a lot, because I intentionally kill myself constantly.

Also, now that I've opened up the final tunnel:
Olmec is a bastard.
I always try no matter how bleak things are. I'm often surprised how far I can make it on one heart.

At this point I can get through the mines like clockwork, so if I take any damage in 1-1 I'll just suicide and start over. I consider it a bust if I don't go into 1-2 with at least $13000 and 5 life.

bryehn

Love this game! Wow!

Quick question: How do you kill a shopkeep? I've tried bombs, shotguns, etc, but he always just kills me quick.

Hypron

Love this game! Wow!

Quick question: How do you kill a shopkeep? I've tried bombs, shotguns, etc, but he always just kills me quick.

I haven't played the full game, but I manage to kill the shopkeeper several times in the demo. It's very easy if you've got the machete, just go up to him an hack away, you're going to stun-lock him until his death.

It's possible to kill him with bombs, but its a bit more tricky. If you can manage to reach the shop from above you can just lob a few bombs in the there and it should do the trick. If you've got the spider-web gun, it's also fairly simple, stay outside the shop, throw a web and immediately after a bomb, the bomb will get stuck in the web, and the shopkeeper will get pissed off an run towards you, getting caught in the web in the process. Profit.

Kyuur

Love this game! Wow!

Easiest way is to pick up a weapon from a weapon shop and kill him with it. Shotgun / Freeze Ray works best. That or bombing, but it really depends on the layout of the level with that.

Yeah, I do suicides on 1-1 or 1-2 if I know I've fucked something up bad.

Finally got to the 3rd world. Got to 3-2 before I croaked. :(

Also, while in the 2nd world I came across
the bee hive for only the second time and decided to jump in there and get some revenge from the first time. I killed two regular bees then the queen bee slowly came after me. The queen bee cornered me and in desperation I threw out almost all of my bombs and one lucky one killed her. I picked up the royal jelly she dropped and it gave me like 2-3 hearts :O it was awesome!

Which got me to thinking,
what does Old Bitey (the huge Piranha fish) drop when you kill it?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just managed to do an entire dark jungle level holding the key and lost no health at all.

Died on the next level, obviously.

EDIT: DONE IT! Short cuts get

I hate dark levels so much...

I had the key in a 2-3 dark, and I was going back and forth with the key and a torch. There was a drop where I couldn't see, so I dropped the torch and saw a looooong fall. So I jumped...right into spikes.

I'm not even bothering with the key thing until I can get a jetpack in the caves.

bryehn

So I finally beat the mines, paid the tunnel guy a bomb and I still have no shortcut =/

What am I missing here? I pressed A to continue when I died in the jungle.

So I finally beat the mines, paid the tunnel guy a bomb and I still have no shortcut =/

What am I missing here? I pressed A to continue when I died in the jungle.

He'll require three different "payments" for each shortcut. And the price will increase.

Finally beat the sucker! From 1-1 to 4-4, no shortcuts! Hoo-rah! And #45 overall (out of like 70 people who have actually completed it).

(And still haven't done the temple shortcut yet.)

Zia

This game get's unplayable when you reach the ice cave. Seriously, it makes me want to punch babies.

See, and I think it gets really easy when you get there. I always get hung up on the jungle. Ice caves to me are pure platforming, if you're not determined to grab everything.

Oh man. Some poor bastard on the leaderboards has 8 minutes and milliseconds of time on his fastest time and doesn't have the speedlunky achievement.

This game get's unplayable when you reach the ice cave. Seriously, it makes me want to punch babies.

It's all about having the right equipment. For me, having the cape and compass is a necessity for the ice caves and if you have both they're a breeze. In fact, I'd say the compass is the most important piece of equipment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the ice caves and mines are a breeze. The jungle still gives me issues, those tiki totems make me rage.

Voidguts

I think the ice caves and mines are a breeze. The jungle still gives me issues, those tiki totems make me rage.

I'm sure you already know, but.. if anyone else doesn't: tease em a bit by jumping close to them before you try jumping/climbing over them. the spikes can't hurt you when they're retracting.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys guess what happened when i used the teleporter for the first time in the mines.

it teleported me right on top some spikes, fuck this game. Oh man.

As long as it's not dark, or those damn bees show up, I don't think the jungle is that bad. It's definitely harder than the mines and the ice caves though. The ice caves are the easiest by far. Takes like 2-3 mins and then you're done with it.

Just had a near perfect game, but died stupidly.
Reached 4-4 (from 1-1) with all the secret items.

So I managed to dig out the secret
Necronomicon
door while fighting
Olmec
, then jumped on it thinking there was a ledge.
Nope, fell in the shitty lava.

Top Bottom