• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thnikkaman said:
So, can any experienced players share a few get-rich schemes to a fellow player?

They don't exist. If anything like that existed, the market would self adjust and the scheme would be gone. It was stupidly easy to earn money around the time of the Steam launch because prices on everything went up, but that party is over.

The best way to earn heat and crowns right now is doing jelly runs. Which is very convenient, because jelly rewards are also some of the best weapons in the game and will prepare you for Firestorm Citadel.

I've been chugging along, getting my gear to lvl10 and buying the recipes for the upgrades. So far, so good. What I want to know is how can I get more money to churn out more items with the unique variants I want, or just buy them from the auction house? I see cool gear with maximum elemental or shadow protection but the price is just astronomical.

I would never recommend buying UV max gear. The price is simply too ridiculous. High is almost just as good and it's so much cheaper. Buying any Medium or High gear you need is a smart idea. Trying to craft specific UVs is a complete gamble, so that's something to keep in mind. Something I do is that I have an alt account setup for crafting UV gear. Since I payed for some CE, the mist energy isn't shared. So essentially what I did was make a small investment by throwing some money and mats to the alt, and then I self-sufficently sell the gear I'm trying to UV craft. So let's say I make 10 wolver coats. I sell those on the AH, and the money I get back gets thrown back into mats and energy so I can craft more wolver coats. If I end up losing money, that's not too bad, since regenerating mist will ensure that I never run out of funds completely. Any UVs I get that are Medium or better I sell on my main to put some of that money into my pocket.

Also, how good is your gear right now? I don't think you should worry about UVs until you're at least in full 4* gear.

Also I have lots of hours worth of unused, unwanted materials sitting in my arsenal. Should I sell them all? Getting the ones I need is never a problem.

Don't sell it all. Map out what your current gear needs/wants are and determine what materials you need to craft it all. Give yourself a buffer of materials just to be safe. Sell everything else.

So is anyone still playing this much? I'm messing about with it. Pretty fun but I can see myself spending stupid amounts of money on energy.

Also I laugh every I trade energy for crowns and it says I earned crowns by "trading crystal".

Einbroch

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
So is anyone still playing this much? I'm messing about with it. Pretty fun but I can see myself spending stupid amounts of money on energy.

Also I laugh every I trade energy for crowns and it says I earned crowns by "trading crystal".
It's a money trap. This is the first game with microtransactions that actually made me pull out my wallet.

I'm like "Oh, it's so cheap! Only $8 for all that energy? Wowee!" and I blow through it all in day. This game is brilliant in the way it gets people to spend money. Brilliant.

It's just too much to keep up with for me, but it's a good game.

Yeah it's pretty funny that I was thinking "hey I can play this like WoW except without the $15 a month" then I realised I'd already burned through more that $15 energy just messing around and experimenting to learn the game D:

Songbird

Prodigal Son
jim-jam bongs said:

I got so close to spending money recently, mostly for upgrades. It's just a huge jump from paying 50 energy, half a day's play, for 2 star items to future ones.

Thnikkaman said:
I got so close to spending money recently, mostly for upgrades. It's just a huge jump from paying 50 energy, half a day's play, for 2 star items to future ones.

After playing for a couple of hours I bought the starter pack because I was enjoying it so I figured that I'd be getting at least that much gaming out of it, and I think I've already got my money's worth in spite of still having thousands of crystal left. I did party up with some dudes who seemed to be full-on cash twinks, or at least I assume they were since they were fully decked out but didn't know how to turn on visible attack damage.

Played through the tutorial and got to what appeared to be the main city before I logged off.

It looks like it has potential but I have to admit that the hubworld seemed a bit overwhelming. I'll probably come back to it at some point if I can find some friends who will reliably play.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BannedEpisode said:
Played through the tutorial and got to what appeared to be the main city before I logged off.

It looks like it has potential but I have to admit that the hubworld seemed a bit overwhelming. I'll probably come back to it at some point if I can find some friends who will reliably play.
It is just the main town which you barely use.

ZealousD

Einbroch said:
It's a money trap. This is the first game with microtransactions that actually made me pull out my wallet.

I'm like "Oh, it's so cheap! Only $8 for all that energy? Wowee!" and I blow through it all in day. This game is brilliant in the way it gets people to spend money. Brilliant.

It's just too much to keep up with for me, but it's a good game.

I've only spent $20 in this game and I have full 5* weapons, armor, shield, etc. Multiple sets of gear. Admittedly, this was before the crafting changes, so if I did it all over again now I'd probably spend $30.

Basically, you can't get antsy with this game. You have to spend your CE wisely. If you're converting CE into crowns, you are not spending your CE wisely. If you go up at the Clockworks Terminal every time (where basil is) and don't go down to the second stratum every time, you are also wasting CE. Also, sell mats you don't need. Don't hoard them.

Also, make running Jelly King your #1 priority.

It seems like the biggest issue with going completely F2P with this is that it's not very forgiving. Like for example I bought a shield before I fully understood how crafting works, and it has no alchemy path whatsoever which means that it's stuck at 3 stars and I can never use it to get to Tier 3. Because I had extra cash and energy sitting around from spending bucks I was able to correct that mistake really easily, now I'm a T2 run or two off my new shield being ready to upgrade to 4 stars and then 5 once it's leveled.

If I was F2P I can see it taking a hell of a lot longer to sort out considering that it cost about 20k crowns and 600 CE to fix.

Jzero

Has anyone been able to get the firecracker achievement? i bought two and nothing :/
EDIT: Never mind i looked at the leader boards and no one has it yet.

ZealousD

So the new Construct/Gremlin T2 boss came up today. They're doing a bugfix now so nobody has seen the actual boss yet, but the lead up to him is certainly very interesting. It's surprisingly difficult for a T2 run. Lots of switches, rockets, and crazy puzzles. I don't know if there's any more crowns and heat to be had than a jelly run, but it's certainly more fun.

Nose Master

Just got this, pretttty goooood. If you get energy by trading crowns / trading dudes, can you get over 100? This 500 to start a guild shit is stupid.

Conceptor

Just started playing, was able to get that TF2 soldier hat and found myself having a ton of fun. Where do you go for jelly runs? I've just been going down floors in the arcade until I run out of daily energy

LiK

just tried it out today. seems simple and intuitive. playing with randoms is annoying. got into the second dungeon with some dumb tards who kept running around aimlessly while we were waiting on those party switches to open doors.

ZealousD

Conceptor said:
Where do you go for jelly runs?

Basically, one of the four gates at any one point will hold the jelly palace. First you'll need clearance for tier 2. Then check each gate and look for a pink jelly marker on the 4th stratum. If you are checking the gate maps you'll should see pink jelly levels on floors 15-17. So you'll either need to do a full tier 2 run on that gate or join a party that's already partway through. A full tier 2 run costs 80 energy, assuming you don't use any energy on revives or gates.

If you haven't already, you'll want to do boss runs for the Snarbolax. It's easier than jelly king and can be found in tier 1. Look for a beast icon in stratum 2 on a gate, then check the gate map to see the wildwoods on levels 5-7.

I got burned out on this pretty fast i dont know why, played like 5 hours and it was getting very very repetitive, is there anything else other than enter the clockworks, collect stuff and then trade rinse and repeat?

Its weird because i played Titan Quest for 70 hours+ which is sort of similar i guess but this one burned me out pretty fast, am i doing something wrong?

ZealousD

Looks like we're getting another update next week. A couple new merchants with unique services gonna be rolling in.

Next week we will be releasing an update that includes some new merchant features.

Punch and Vise, gremlin outcasts from Emberlight will be moving in to the Haven Bazaar and offering their unique services. Punch will allow you to roll for random unique variants on your items in exchange for crowns. Vise can unbind items (zero star and 'starless' items excluded) in exchange for energy.

We are also adding a new item preview mode to any merchant interface. By simply clicking a button, you will be able to see what any item would look like on your character before you purchase it, even recipes!

You can expect these features to be available some time next week. Happy shopping!

Punch is actually a good idea. There will be less ragecrafting, prices on lower level items will go up to reasonable levels (rather than below cost), and the cost of Crystal Energy should actually go down as there will be a new major crown sink in the game and CE won't be burned so much on crafting anymore. The biggest reason CE prices went up is that higher level players didn't need to burn crowns as much anymore and everybody wanted to hoard CE.

Vise will bring back unbound items. The price to unbind will determine how useful he is. It'll bring back premades into the game, but prices are no doubt going to be high.

Nose Master

I can't believe how many ways they've thought of to stop people from cheating the energy system.

1. Try using energy on alts to farm.
-Nope. All energy is shared between alts.
2. Try inviting someone on the floor before the vendors to farm recipes to resell.
-Nope. Vendor has 0 in his inventory (even though they're listed) for the people who mooched the vendor floor.
3. "I can just sell my extra energy on days I don't play!"
-Nope, lol mist/crystal energy.

Only way I've found to cheat is to give my materials/recipes to people I know that don't play, then have them trade 'em back. Trying to farm good UVs this way... not working. :/. Getting lots of crowns, though.

ZealousD

Nose Master said:
3. "I can just sell my extra energy on days I don't play!"
-Nope, lol mist/crystal energy.

What you can do is buy trinket/weapon slots, then resell them. That's the best way to get value out of mist on days you don't play.

Nose Master

ZealousD said:
What you can do is buy trinket/weapon slots, then resell them. That's the best way to get value out of mist on days you don't play.

OH REALLY? The upgrade is a consumable then?

Also... any consensus on what the attack speed cap is? I'm going down the Dread Striker line because I don't want to use Calibur (even though it's superior in pretty much every way). I was wondering if say, anything over a low attack speed increase would be worth it? Or if Vog Cub gear would be worth it with the bar so close to max already. (I was going to go thorn shield / atk speed wolver / atk damage wolver for max damage boost and a little speed.)

ZealousD

Nose Master said:
I was wondering if say, anything over a low attack speed increase would be worth it? Or if Vog Cub gear would be worth it with the bar so close to max already. (I was going to go thorn shield / atk speed wolver / atk damage wolver for max damage boost and a little speed.)

Attack speed is a pretty good stat for swords. If you're going to use in in conjunction with Vog Cub, than it'll max out if the UV on your sword is atk speed medium.

Also, you don't get weapon related UVs on armor. Just damage and status resistances. Vog Cub has built in speed increase and Skolver has built in damage increase but that's the only weapon stats you get on them.

ZealousD

King Krogmo’s Coliseum officially opens today, and the first of many events, Blast Network, is available to play.

How to Play:
The Coliseum can be accessed by clicking on the crossed swords icon on the HUD. This opens the Coliseum interface and allows you to choose your event or join a forming guild party.

Krogmo has promised that he will be unveiling new events regularly throughout the season. Blast Network is the first and allows for three types of game modes:

Free For All - Blow up every player in sight, trying not to include yourself.

Random Team - Get placed in a random team with the sole purpose of blowing up the other team.

Guild Team - Open up slots for yourself and guild mates to battle another guild team. You can also join forming guild teams by simply pressing the ‘Guild’ tab within the Coliseum interface.

All Coliseum events have a crown entry fee. A portion of the fees are used as rewards for the winners of each match.

Blast Network Rules:
The object of the game is to eliminate your opponents with your bombs.
All of your personal equipment is ignored in Blast Network. When a match begins you will have a single weapon, a bomb that explodes in a cross formation. No charging is required. You can place bombs instantly. Any bomb will kill a player, even your own so watch out! You will find several powerups that randomly spawn in the field:

Bomb Blast Up - Increases the blast area of your bomb by one tile.

Bomb Count Up - Increases the number of bombs you can drop at once.

Speed Up - Increases your movement speed.

Health Up - Increases your health by one cell. While bombs eliminate you in one hit, other hazards such as traps and monsters will do a single cell of damage.

In each game you earn points for having your bombs eliminate your opponents. The player or team with the most points at the end of the match wins.

Respawning:
If you are killed you will wait in the rolling respawn queue. All players in the respawn queue will respawn at once after the respawn counter reaches zero. However, during this time you may instead choose to instantly respawn with energy in the same manner as in the Clockworks.

Earning Krogmo Coins:
Any Coliseum game played to completion will earn the participant 1 Krogmo Coin. These are token items that can be traded for special prizes from Sullivan, the Coliseum Rewards Supervisor found in the Haven Arcade.
Winning a match will earn the winning player or winning team an additional Krogmo Coin.

Bribing King Krogmo:
Before a match begins, players will find themselves in the barracks outside the match’s arena. Here you can bribe King Krogmo with energy to further up the ante for everyone for the match that’s about to begin. If players manage to fill the pot with energy, Krogmo will unveil a recipient and prize for the match.
Recipients include 'all participants,' 'the winning team,' and 'the winning player.' Prizes are random and can be anything from extra Krogmo Coins to special costume items.

Krogmo Coin Boosters:
A new upgrade can be purchased from the Upgrade Shop called a ‘Krogmo Coin Booster.’ This upgrade awards the user an additional Krogmo Coin for each completed Coliseum match and lasts 24 hours. Up to 6 Krogmo Coin Boosters may be used simultaneously.

Bombhead Masks:
To celebrate the launch of Blast Network, King Krogmo has constructed a series of festive costume helms for the Spiral Knights that curiously resemble a live bomb. Perhaps it’s some kind of monster joke?
There are many different kinds of Bombhead Masks out there for you to discover. Some can be purchased with Krogmo Coins and many more can be discovered as bonus prizes from bribing King Krogmo. Collect them all!

Krogmo’s Alchemy Machine:
King Krogmo has constructed a new kind of alchemy machine that Knights are free to use. Instead of it reading the recipes a Knight has learned, it instead stores unique recipes within the machine that a Knight may use as if it were his own.
Krogmo Alchemy Machines will allow Knights to craft items they are otherwise incapable of producing themselves, such as highly-prized weapon module trinkets.

...and there’s more to come!
King Krogmo has dedicated the entire season to new Coliseum events! Expect to see regular updates with exciting new events, rewards and Coliseum features.

Additional Changes

Item Changes:
- The Haze Bomb is now 2* rarity and is no longer a requisite component of any of the Vaporizer bombs.
- The Haze Bomb now has a complete alchemy line of its own up to 5*
- Sleep resistance no longer appears as a unique variant when crafting or using Punch. It will return some time in the future.
- Several recipes have been changed slightly to bring them more in line with the rest of the items in their family.
- The Volcanic Pepperbox recipe now requires 4 Iron Gears instead of 4 Blast Powders.
- The Umbra Driver now requires 1 Rocky Core instead of 2 Mugs of Misery.
- The Nova Driver new requires 1 Rocky Core instead of 1 Chroma Tear.
- The Magnus family of guns has had its recipes trimmed down. Depending on their rarity, they now require Red Shards, Bronze Bolts, Gremlin Gizmos, Force Dynamos, Heavy Gears, Plasma Cells and/or Primal Ore.

Levels:
- Added more gremlins to Jigsaw Valley levels.
- Fixed a bug in Ironclaw Munitions Factory | Warfare Workshop that was causing quicksilvers to get stuck on the walls.

New Items:
Earn enough Krogmo Coins and get your hands on these new items:

Recipes:

Bombs:
3* Haze Bomb Mk II
4* Haze Burst
5* Stagger Storm
3* Electron Charge
4* Electron Bomb
5* Electron Vortex

Swords:
3* Shockburst Brandish
4* Boltbrand
5* Voltedge
3* Grintovec
4* Jalovec
5* Triglav

Handguns:
3* Toxic Needle
4* Blight Needle
5* Plague Needle

Trinkets:
4* Bomb Focus Module
4* Boom Module
4* Handgun Focus Module
4* Trueshot Module
4* Quick Draw Module
4* Sword Focus Module
4* Slash Module
4* Quick Strike Module

These trinkets can all be upgraded in 5* 'Elite' versions from a Krogmo Alchemy Machine.

Basil now has the chance of having a recipe for the 3* Graviton Charge (bomb) and a 5* Sudaruska (upgrade of the Khorovod).

Lastly there are many Bombhead Masks to discover by playing Blast Network. Get blasting!

D-Pad

Just played this for the first time today. I only made it to Haven, but so far I'd say it blows most other F2PMMORPG's out of the water. The characters have a great look to them and the art style is great. The animations are really well done. It's nice to see enemies react to hits and stuff, unlike some other mmo's, as it makes the game feel very polished.

The auto-team function is very nice for guys like me who don't like seeking people to join up with. It makes each quest simple and very fun. I hope some of the later missions have more challenging puzzles that require all four players to take part (like zelda four swords, etc).

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I gave up on the game, it wouldn't work with my router. I tried off and on for 3 weeks.

ZealousD

Big new patch today. It's a PVP centric patch.

Lockdown - A New Coliseum Event
In Lockdown, two teams face off against each other to capture multiple Control Points scattered across the map. Capturing and holding onto a Control Point increases your team's score over time. Owning more than one Control Point increases your team's score even faster! To win, your team must be the first to reach the target score or have the highest score before the match ends!

How to Play
Capturing Control Points (CPs)

- To capture a Control Point, stand on it until it changes to your team's color. You will see an expanding "influence" ring indicating your progress. When the expanding influence ring reaches the outer CP ring, the CP changes to your team's color.
- If the Control Point is Neutral (white) you will only need to change it to your team's color.
- If the Control Point is owned by the enemy team, you will need to stand on the CP until the enemy team's influence ring shrinks and turns the CP to Neutral. After the CP is Neutral, it can be captured as normal by expanding your team's influence ring.
- Be warned! If an enemy player is also trying to capture the same Control Point, neither team's influence will grow or shrink. The only way to capture a Control Point is if there are no enemy players standing on it!

Class Mods
Class Mods are a new feature in Lockdown! Class Mods replace your normal shield with a special ability that is unique to that class. The ability is mapped to the key that would normally activate your shield.

Within each team base you will find three Class Mods. To change your class, simply stand on one of the pads supporting a Class Mod! The classes grant the following special abilities, bonuses, and penalties:

Guardian
Special Ability: Guardian Shield
- Activating this ability creates a shield of protection for you and any of your teammates in its radius (instantly for you, and after 1 second for your allies)
- Any damage you or your allies take is blocked by the shield, but be warned, this may also cause your shield to break faster!
Bonuses:
- Attack Speed bonus for Swords and Bombs
Penalty:
- Attack Speed decreased for Guns

Recon
Special Ability: Cloaking, Disruption Field
- Activating this ability causes you to turn invisible for a period of time
- While invisible, you project a "pulse" every few seconds that will give a "Recon Mark" status effect to any enemy it hits
- Any enemy player hit by one "Recon Mark" gets a warning, but no other negative effects are applied
- Any enemy player with a "Recon Mark" that is hit by another pulse receives a "Death Mark" and has has their defense removed for five seconds!
Bonuses:
- Attack Speed increased for Guns and Bombs
Penalty:
- Attack Speed decreased for Swords

Striker
Special Ability: Striker Dash
- Activating this ability allows you to sprint for a short period of time
Bonuses:
- Attack Damage increased for Swords
Penalty:
- Charge Time increased for Bombs

Loadouts - Gear Profiles for Fast Equipping
Loadouts are specific sets of gear that you can create and customize for fast equipping in towns, Clockwork Terminals and Lockdown team bases. A Loadout can be flagged as PvE (green) or PvP (red). By default, your current set of gear will be flagged as a PvP Loadout. However, if you would like to easily switch gear during a PvP match, you will want to create multiple PvP Loadouts. You can only swap loadouts during a PvP match before leaving the area designated as the Locker Room inside your team's base.

Note that your highest tier PvP-enabled Loadout determines the tier of the game you are eligible to join, and once you join a game, you will only be able to switch to Loadouts of the same tier you are playing. If you would like to play in a specific tier, ensure that all other tier Loadouts are flagged as PvE.

Creating a Loadout

First, equip the set of gear you would like to become your new Loadout. In the character window, there is a new Loadout pill below your character showing the following information:
-The name of the current Loadout. It will display if there is no specific Loadout being used
- The tier you are eligible for in PvE and PvP
- A meter showing the overall quality level of the Loadout (higher star gear makes for a much more powerful Loadout!)

Now it's time to save that Loadout:
- Click on the Loadout pill and then select "Save As..."
- Name your new Loadout and then select "Save"
- You can see all your saved Loadouts by clicking on the Loadout button that can be found next to the Arsenal button in the top right of the screen (two swords icon)
- You can flag or un-flag a Loadout for PvP by clicking on the Loadout icon (red crossed swords indicate the Loadout is flagged for PvP)

Other Changes

Bugfixes
- Fixed a bug in a Devilish Drudgery room where players could accidentally bypass a spawn trigger.
- Loot from treasure blocks now properly despawns in 120 seconds.
- The preview item feature is working once more.

Danger Rooms
- Increasing rewards in Danger Rooms

Blast Network
- You can no longer bomb or gather powerups when you're invincible (following a respawn).

Fox318

I have tried installing Spiral Knights on steam but I can't get it to run at all. It patches and then it does nothing. I have tried installing from the Spiral Knights site and have managed to get it to work but even then it doesn't load. Can anyone help?

I've had java updated each time. But I have no idea what to do...

ZealousD

Today's update introduces a host of exciting features. Get ready to customize your gear with accessories and spin the Prize Wheel!

Accessories

Accessories are new items that can be augmented on to helmets or armor. There are hundreds of them to discover and include techno widgets like antennae and visors for your helmets, canteens and side blades for your armor and even holy auras and wings! All accessories come in a wide variety of colors and styles. The most common will match the standard armor color schemes and the rarer styles match color schemes like 'divine' and 'volcanic' gear. The rarest of all are the 'prismatic' accessories that recolor to your personal color.

Once you have an accessory, visit Bechamel, the Accessorizor on the far western side of the Haven Bazaar. Once an accessory is attached to gear, it is permanently attached unless removed by Bechamel, the Accessorizor. However, removing an accessory from gear will destroy the accessory in the process.

Accessories are divided by attachment location and can only be attached to gear that supports the attachment location. Not all gear can use all accessories. Consult the tooltips to determine which accessories can fit your gear. Locations include:

- Helm Top
- Helm Side
- Helm Back
- Helm Front
- Armor Front
- Armor Back
- Armor Aura

Lockboxes

You can now find Iron Lockboxes, a new useable item that, when opened, reveals a special prize! Iron Lockboxes are the only way to find accessories. Any player can find an Iron Lockbox and trade it with other players or put it up for sale on the Auction House. Additionally, any item found within an Iron Lockbox is also unbound and can be traded as well.

An Iron Lockbox requires a Silver Key to open. Silver Keys are purchasable from Boost, the Special Items Merchant located in Haven and every subtown. Once used, a Silver Key is destroyed. Silver Keys can also be traded and put up for sale on the Auction House.

The Prize Wheel

All Knights that complete levels in the Clockworks will now have an opportunity to spin the all-new Prize Wheel\! The Prize Wheel is displayed as your heat is tallied during the end of level report. There are all sorts of prizes to discover. Many of them are helpful boosts for your next floor like health or crowns, but the truly lucky players will be awarded Iron Lockboxes!

Lockboxes have the highest chance of appearing in Tier 3, followed by Tier 2 and then Tier 1.

Lockdown

- New map! Ramparts: Use gates to open up paths for you and your allies or leave them closed to secure your territory! Use respawning fire pots to help you siege an enemy's CP!
- New map! Furnace: Use water orbs to reveal new paths through this fiery arena!
- UI: Arrow indicators added to the HUD, can be disabled in 'options'
- UI: Killer Cam

Shops

- Boost the Upgrades Merchant is now known as 'Boost the Special Items Merchant'
- Boost the Special Items Merchant now sells Silver Keys, which open Lockboxes.
- Bechamel, the Accessorizor has opened up shop in the Haven Bazaar.

Bugfixes

- Costume items may be sold for 1 crown to dispose of them.
- Fixed bug where preset emotes (such as /lol) from muted players weren't being blocked.
- Removed a short period of invulnerability after being hit by certain attacks in Lockdown
- Fixed bonuses from showing up twice in item tooltips
- Fixed an issue where players could potentially activate a loadout for PvP while in Lockdown
- The "Allow Full Inspect" will now remain checked between sessions
- Fixed Gravity bombs affecting teammates in Lockdown

ZealousD

I know that pretty much nobody cares anymore, but Three Rings is on a crash course with self destruction.

As I posted right up above, Three Rings just did an update where you could get cosmetic accessories to add to your armor. These accessories can only be found in iron lockboxes which are now randomly distributed on a prize wheel when you finish a level. You can then spend 750 CE (About $2.50) to open the lockbox using a Silver Key. It's sorta like the crates in Team Fortress 2, but they contain accessories, not weapons.

Well, now they're starting a new content update with "Shadow Lairs". Basically, these are harder versions of the 4 boss levels currently in the game. And based on what I played on the test server these levels are significantly harder than the current T3 content. It sounded like they were finally adding some newer and harder content to keep veteran players in the game.

Here's the kicker. In order to access a Shadow Lair, you need a Shadow Key. These Shadow Keys will be randomly distributed within the Iron Lockboxes. That's right. In order to get a Shadow Key to access these new levels, you need to spend over two bucks just to get a random chance to get the key. And the kicker that's got everybody in a tizzy is that these keys are NOT reusable. One key means ONE shot at a Shadow Lair.

http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Shadow_Lair_Overview

There is not a single voice in their forums defending this right now.

This is pretty much the biggest blatant cash grab they've done. Locking away end game content behind these ridiculous CE barriers is absurd.

ZealousD said:
I know that pretty much nobody cares anymore, but Three Rings is on a crash course with self destruction.

As I posted right up above, Three Rings just did an update where you could get cosmetic accessories to add to your armor. These accessories can only be found in iron lockboxes which are now randomly distributed on a prize wheel when you finish a level. You can then spend 750 CE (About $2.50) to open the lockbox using a Silver Key. It's sorta like the crates in Team Fortress 2, but they contain accessories, not weapons.

Well, now they're starting a new content update with "Shadow Lairs". Basically, these are harder versions of the 4 boss levels currently in the game. And based on what I played on the test server these levels are significantly harder than the current T3 content. It sounded like they were finally adding some newer and harder content to keep veteran players in the game.

Here's the kicker. In order to access a Shadow Lair, you need a Shadow Key. These Shadow Keys will be randomly distributed within the Iron Lockboxes. That's right. In order to get a Shadow Key to access these new levels, you need to spend over two bucks just to get a random chance to get the key. And the kicker that's got everybody in a tizzy is that these keys are NOT reusable. One key means ONE shot at a Shadow Lair.

This is pretty much the biggest blatant cash grab they've done. Locking away end game content behind these ridiculous CE barriers is absurd.
HAHAHA wow
Trying to go that TF2 route.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Game is dead, players are drying up.
Milk the hardcore for all they are worth then shut down everything.

eek5

ZealousD said:

LOL that is awful

CzarTim

I had a feeling the pricing model was unsustainable for the long term. Especially with the focus on 4-player co-op. They should have made the pricing model surround accessories from the beginning, and made the actual play time unlimited (anything to have people keep playing rather than quit after running out of energy.)

ZealousD

Cloudius12 said:
HAHAHA wow
Trying to go that TF2 route.

They already went the TF2 route when they introduced the accessories in the previous patch. It was all cosmetic so nobody cared.

This is too much. They went a step beyond. They're locking content behind the pay wall.

ZealousD

Hazaro said:
Game is dead, players are drying up.
Milk the hardcore for all they are worth then shut down everything.

Even the oldest vets like Magnus and Biznasty are having none of this. If they don't revert, the game explodes before any milking can begin.

Izayoi

Banned
Free to play games that gate gameplay with cashshop bullshit never end up doing well.

Vindictus, even after fixing the tokens, still hasn't recovered.

I played this once until I ran out of energy, and then never touched it again.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
ZealousD said:
They already went the TF2 route when they introduced the accessories in the previous patch. It was all cosmetic so nobody cared.

This is too much. They went a step beyond. They're locking content behind the pay wall.
It was far too easy to play without spending a dime, I suppose. Totally sucks and I hope they relent. CoH is already tempting me to spend £40 on cash store stuff, let alone keys in TF2 and now this.

ZealousD said:

but but I haven't touch this since I last played with you guys so I wouldn't know!
They really need to change the whole game before anything of this really works for this game. I think it was too late.

CzarTim said:
I had a feeling the pricing model was unsustainable for the long term. Especially with the focus on 4-player co-op. They should have made the pricing model surround accessories from the beginning, and made the actual play time unlimited (anything to have people keep playing rather than quit after running out of energy.)

Seconded. Every time I tried to get my mates to play the game with me we got to the part where it costs a finite resource to enter a dungeon and they laughed and told me to get fucked.

jogarrr

ZealousD said:

I never played long enough to get past Tier 1 but I don't really see a problem with them charging for high level content. It's the price and method of charging that is ridiculous. $2.50 for a chance to try your luck at completing some very hard dungeons/bosses is pretty silly. The standard $15 MMO fee would buy you at most 6 attempts per month, probably less.. heh.

If they need more money they should just introduce an optional monthly fee like they have with Puzzle Pirates. I'd pay five bucks a month for an all access pass to the game (if I was still interested in playing it).

ZealousD said:

Wow, I'm so glad I don't play this anymore. You could tell it would eventually end up this way when the enormous crafting price increase & binding changes went live... writing was on the wall that it would just get worse and worse. I quit then and like 90% of my guild (30+ members) quit as well. About a month ago I logged back on to see what the game was like and possibly return... played for about a half hour then haven't touched it since.

Top Bottom