• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Lumine said:
I gotta admit I'm completely lost on what I should be spending my gold (crowns?) on and what gear to get. I'm still in starter gear and have about 5000 crowns so far, but I haven't spend any real money on energy. At least not yet. I'm looking around online for a guide of sorts on where to start and what kind "builds" there are, but I haven't had much luck.

Anyone mind giving me some tips or recommendations on what to get first? Also, should I be only buying recipes rather than the gear itself? Or buy them from other players perhaps? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p

Edit: I just bought a "Wolver Coat" for 3000 from someone random, I hope I did the right thing. :p

Wolver Coat and Cap are good armor for a melee guy.

In general, whatever items you go for, you should check out that the items can be upgraded up to 5*. You won't be able to upgrade them for ages, but planning ahead what to go for is always good so you won't be wasting money and materials. (I have 2 armor sets and swords :( )

eek5

Everyone with primal token surpluses (everyone lol) buy the 5 token hearthstone trinket (3*) and vendor it for 1200cr. It's a bug that will probably be fixed in the next patch. 24k for 100 tokens!!1 wooo

ruh oh try not to "exploit" it too excessively if it is a bug.

Edit: just tried it =D

Lumine said:
I gotta admit I'm completely lost on what I should be spending my gold (crowns?) on and what gear to get. I'm still in starter gear and have about 5000 crowns so far, but I haven't spend any real money on energy. At least not yet. I'm looking around online for a guide of sorts on where to start and what kind "builds" there are, but I haven't had much luck.

Anyone mind giving me some tips or recommendations on what to get first? Also, should I be only buying recipes rather than the gear itself? Or buy them from other players perhaps? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p

Edit: I just bought a "Wolver Coat" for 3000 from someone random, I hope I did the right thing. :p

This is a great site to look up armor, weapon, among other things for you Spiral Knights needs.
http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Main_Page

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
eek5 said:
Everyone with primal token surpluses (everyone lol) buy the 5 token hearthstone trinket (3*) and vendor it for 1200cr. It's a bug that will probably be fixed in the next patch. 24k for 100 tokens!!1 wooo

I've mostly been using them to get warp dust, myself.

Wallach

I don't think it is a bug. You can sell any gear you buy with any variety of tokens. It's just that the game for quite a while at the outset was so heavy slanted in stratum type people got nothing but Primal Sparks. The return you get from spending the tokens on a trinket is still garbage compared to the market return on the other sparks (where you could get 15k+ from another player for something you spend 20 sparks on).

Edit - Ah, I see the bug. Hearthstone Pendant is supposed to be 2*. Owned! Not that this is a good deal (24k for 100 sparks blows still) but it isn't like trying to sell 5 Royal Cores.

eek5

Wallach said:
I don't think it is a bug. You can sell any gear you buy with any variety of tokens. It's just that the game for quite a while at the outset was so heavy slanted in stratum type people got nothing but Primal Sparks. The return you get from spending the tokens on a trinket is still garbage compared to the market return on the other sparks (where you could get 15k+ from another player for something you spend 20 sparks on).

Edit - Ah, I see the bug. Hearthstone Pendant is supposed to be 2*. Owned! Not that this is a good deal (24k for 100 sparks blows still) but it isn't like trying to sell 5 Royal Cores.
Well primal tokens are kind of worthless. I think 10 tokens gets you a warp dust which sells for 1.2k on market so you can get 1.2 for 5 tokens. If you've been playing for a while you probably have a huge suprlus of primal tokens anyway

eek5

I may have misclicked on a bunch of people as i was promoting active players to member status D: let me know your ign lol

Dreavus

Soloed the first bit in T3 for the first time... it was tough but hardly felt worth it in terms of crowns/heat/materials. This game puts all the goodies past the first checkpoint in any given tier (which is also where the difficulty spikes).

EDIT: At least Basil has worthwhile recipes! None of this 3 star bullshit.

eek5 said:

I just did this and bought 14 trinkets. Got a cool 16.8k crowns :U Thanks, Eeks!

CzarTim

If anyone has a Miracloth, let me know. Not sure how much their worth, and if a random asks me to "name a price", I leave. You're the one selling, you name the fucking price.

I also wish there was a way to have a separate chat for the trade channel when in Haven. Moves too quickly. I know you can leave it, but I'd rather it just be another window.

ZealousD

Miracloths are like 2k each I think. I usually only get just enough to fill my needs, so I've never really bought or sold one.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hey knights. I sent a PM to varindo a couple of days ago asking for an invite to the GAF guild. Could anyone poke the player for another try? Would really appreciate it.

My character is Amephyst.

eek5

Thnikkaman said:
I don't get it. Mob farming is a punishable offence under the TOS?
people were repeating the same instance over and over to farm it which can be defined as an exploit and against TOS

eek5

Cloudius12 said:
by going solo from another party and joining back in to go solo again to do the level over?

yeah as long as you don't hit the elevator you can warp back to a previous state

eek5

SephirothRK said:
I would expect it's against TOS to do the same with Jelly King.
Well you can't since you can't invite on 17. If someone splits at 16 you can't join to a previous level of that instance after you've taken the elevator. I'm sure at one point boss levels weren't locked and people were doing exactly this with Jelly King which is why you can no longer invite on 17

ZealousD

eek5 said:

So you avoided a ban?

eek5 said:
Well you can't since you can't invite on 17. If someone splits at 16 you can't join to a previous level of that instance after you've taken the elevator. I'm sure at one point boss levels weren't locked and people were doing exactly this with Jelly King which is why you can no longer invite on 17

You can't get invited to Treasure Vaults either.

Sooo, instead of going for tier5 armor, I'm thinking about redoing my sword line. Any suggestions? I have an Ascended Calibur right now, but just about everyone has a Calibur... Brandish looks like it could be neat...

ZealousD

ArtistDude88 said:
Sooo, instead of going for tier5 armor, I'm thinking about redoing my sword line. Any suggestions? I have an Ascended Calibur right now, but just about everyone has a Calibur... Brandish looks like it could be neat...

The Brandish swords functionally behave just like caliburs when it comes to normal swings. So if you like the style but want to be different, than that's not a bad way to go. The Combuster route seems to be the preferred branch.

If you want to go slow, than getting an Avenger is a great way to go. But everybody has one of those, so that doesn't really solve your problem of being different.

Your other option is to go with a Cutter, notably the poison branch occupied by Vile Striker / Dread Venom Striker.

And well, anything else I'd probably stay away from. You can't really go with a flourish for a general purpose sword, it's more of a specialty sword. And everything else cuts off before it gets to 5*. They really should extend Winmillion and Khorovod.

CzarTim

I feel like they made a mistake by not just having all items go to 5*. Even if that means fewer options. they could have just made the branches where variety comes into play. As a newbie, it was very confusing at first. I had to completely redo all my equipment when I realized they didn't go to five.

ZealousD

CzarTim said:
I feel like they made a mistake by not just having all items go to 5*. Even if that means fewer options. they could have just made the branches where variety comes into play. As a newbie, it was very confusing at first. I had to completely redo all my equipment when I realized they didn't go to five.

All the newbies tend towards the Cobalt equipment too, mainly because they don't explain recipes very well. Which is stupid, cause that shit SUUUUUUUCKS.

ZealousD

Does anybody know how to make a Miracle Hood? Trying to avoid paying for the recipe since I just want one as a costume piece. Hoping somebody can do me the favor of leveling up an elemental hood i have to lvl 5 so it can be crafted. Willing to pay some CE for it.

ZealousD

Okay, whatever. I wasn't really interested in going over there anyway. You gremlins didn't have to put the thorns over there too.

lGnN5.jpg

Well... I lost interest in this game quicker than I thought I would.

If nothing interesting happens soon with a content update or something, would anyone want my items?... In trade for TF2 items?

I have over 500 CE left, ~60k crowns, a few unlearned recipes, and a metric ton of crafting items.

eek5

Well, they just ruined the game with the recent update.

Haven
* The new Advanced Training Hall can be found on the west side of the Haven Town Square!
* The new Auction House can be found just north of the fountain in the Haven Town Square!

Boss Tokens
* Bosses now drop a single, giant boss token that distributes boss tokens based on participation in the boss dungeon. The more levels you complete of each boss dungeon (in that run) the more boss tokens you have the chance to earn. The only way to guarantee a chance at the maximum number of tokens is to start a boss dungeon from the first level of that boss dungeon (from the terminal).

Levels
* Clockwork Terminals are now free to join. There is no entry fee like other levels. Their minerals have been removed.
* Fixed a minor bug in Royal Jelly Court where some monsters weren't spawning.
* You should no longer get stuck between the door and exit elevator in Spiral Court 2.

Shops
* You will not be able to purchase 2+ star items from a terminal vendor if you have not completed an entire floor before reaching the terminal. Never buy a 'Basil port' from another player unless you're in the market for 1* items!

Crafting
* Using a bound items in alchemy will result in the finished product being bound as well. For example, crafting a 4* item that requires a item of heat level 5 will result in an item that is bound to the crafter.
* Crafting energy costs have increased.
* Alchemy machines have new art.

Items
* Items now display their star value and number of unique variants on the item pill. Handy!

Recipes
* Recipe item costs have been reduced.

Bugfixes
* Fixed an issue where excessive upstream bandwidth usage would cause persistent lag.
* Fixed an issue where you would sometimes join a party in a deeper tier than was specified
* Fixed an issue where you would sometimes join a party behind a closed door and were unable to proceed
* Fixed an issue where you would be charged double energy when proceeding from a subtown

I don't know how you could make such huge changes without giving everyone notice. I always thought that 5k+ energy exchange rates would ruin chances of new players playing but the new crafting costs are back breaking. Before it could take a f2p player a couple weeeks to work their way up to 4* then eventually 5* but now I'm not even sure if it is possible.

Wallach

What the hell are they thinking? Why do you think people wanted an Auction House to begin with? Wow. I don't even know what to say to this.

Wallach

So it's 200 CE now to craft a 3* item, 400 CE go from 3* to 4* and 800 CE to go from 4* to 5*.

Man sure is great being a gunner type player where we have multiple gear lines that START at 3*.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
As a newbie, I'm not sure how to take this news? Like an auction house isn't a great idea?

And they increased energy costs for crafting. I guess their initial idea of F2P was too good to be true.

Top Bottom