• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Teknopathetic said:
Yep. Hope to see you guys in the Dragon Nest beta thread whenever that starts next month, if you can look past the creeper art.
So was this update hinted at by Three Rings at all? If it has come as a major surprise to the knowledgeable players here then... eek.

Thnikkaman: It was a major surprise to everyone, newcomers and veterans alike.

Unless the binding change is reverted, I'm done. I have no idea what they were thinking.

My name in SK is DeckardCain/Green-Lantern.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Heavy said:
Thnikkaman: It was a major surprise to everyone, newcomers and veterans alike.

Unless the binding change is reverted, I'm done. I have no idea what they were thinking.
I can't help but think that the game was way too easy to play without spending a dime, considering how I could make enough to buy a hundred crystal energy in no time at all. This change would make buying the stuff with cash more necessary.

eek5

Thnikkaman said:
So was this update hinted at by Three Rings at all? If it has come as a major surprise to the knowledgeable players here then... eek.

They hinted at the auction house for a week but that was just a trojan horse to slip this bullshit in. They released the patch notes 30 minutes before server reboot. The panic was at an all time high with people scrambling to craft as many things as they could. I thought they were going to increase the crown cost to help lower CE by making a bigger crown sink but when I relogged to see 800CE for 5*.. WTF?

I know one guy who bought a ton of CE from this game was commissioning people to craft 5* items for him using his UV base items. I talked to him after the update and he said he lost 11-12 UVs including a fire high resist demo suit... If I was him I would be LIVID right now. The fact that they only gave players a 30 minute heads up shows how little they care about the userbase.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jesus Christ.

1 step forward, 15 steps back.

No more selling premades and they jack up crafting costs?

Fuck this shit.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So if people are bailing where might you be heading? You've been accommodating for me on the day or so I was active so I'd like to follow you all. WoW and 45 free days of EQ2 just sucked all my attention away anyway.

ZealousD

I was probably gonna bail soon anyway. I sold enough premades before the change that I've got more than enough CE to get my Fang of Vog.

This just means I won't be running jelly near as much to slow me down on getting it.

BTW Eeks, mystery solved. You remember thinking how the dude wearing Dragon Scale Mail was smoking? I saw the guy near the AH today and it wasn't his armor. It was his Dread Skelly Shield that was smoking.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Yup, was fun while it lasted.

Had some good times, Eeks!

I don't think I'll log in to this bullshit anymore. (Was away for 10 days so that's why you didnt see me.)

Dreavus

I just saw the changes.

I haven't logged in for a quite a while but those CE costs are stupid high. More than double in many cases. Probably not a bad thing I drifted away from the game... it was tons of fun playing with Gaffers though!

Teknopathetic said:
Yep. Hope to see you guys in the Dragon Nest beta thread whenever that starts next month, if you can look past the creeper art.

The Dragon's Nest beta is next month? Damn that game is fun. I played it at PAX a couple years ago and also downloaded the Japanese demo for a spin. Being F2P, the only thing I'm left to wonder is how they're going to manage to screw up the business model with this one.

ZealousD

One thing to keep in mind is that they did lower the costs for buying recipes. 4* recipes are now 10k instead of 15k, and I think I heard that 5* recipes were knocked all the way down to 25k? I can't confirm that last one, so don't quote me.

Honestly, the energy costs is not the worst offender here. That might delay progress by a weak or so at best. The real big offender and worst change in all of this is that you can't buy premade 4* and 5* gear anymore.

"The Dragon's Nest beta is next month? Damn that game is fun. I played it at PAX a couple years ago and also downloaded the Japanese demo for a spin. Being F2P, the only thing I'm left to wonder is how they're going to manage to screw up the business model with this one."

Most people seem pretty happy with the model in other nexon games like DFO and Vindictus. I didn't mind Vindictus's token system at all.

And yes, that game is fun. I played the JP demo and it's definitely solid. I hope it doesn't have the lag issues Vindictus had.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Teknopathetic said:
"The Dragon's Nest beta is next month? Damn that game is fun. I played it at PAX a couple years ago and also downloaded the Japanese demo for a spin. Being F2P, the only thing I'm left to wonder is how they're going to manage to screw up the business model with this one."

Most people seem pretty happy with the model in other nexon games like DFO and Vindictus. I didn't mind Vindictus's token system at all.

And yes, that game is fun. I played the JP demo and it's definitely solid. I hope it doesn't have the lag issues Vindictus had.
Ok, I'm sold on it then.
I submitted a beta app.

I guess I need to sell my CE and items to someone then...

I don't even feel like playing. I've spent the last half hour just sitting in Haven/Arcade doing nothing because whatever motivation I had left to go into the clockworks is gone. Usually I always had something to level up for resale or maybe a job for a friend... but now I got nothing to do. Really don't feel like running Duke, either.

I'm going to look into Dungeon Fighter Online and this Dragonnest beta you guys are talking about.

Is DFO still really popular and active? I barely know anything about it save for the fact that it's one of the better F2P-model games.

Heavy said:
I don't even feel like playing. I've spent the last half hour just sitting in Haven/Arcade doing nothing because whatever motivation I had left to go into the clockworks is gone. Usually I always had something to level up for resale or maybe a job for a friend... but now I got nothing to do. Really don't feel like running Duke, either.

I'm going to look into Dungeon Fighter Online and this Dragonnest beta you guys are talking about.

Is DFO still really popular and active? I barely know anything about it save for the fact that it's one of the better F2P-model games.

I still played some DFO, still pretty active. That Dragon Nest looks pretty interested, there seems to be an offline beta floating around.

Aw, I was about to pop in and check out the changes, but the amount of "I'm done with the game" posts tells me it's not good. Oh well. Guess I'll continue waiting for GuildWars 2...

Dreavus

Teknopathetic said:

I know I know, I actually had no problem with Vindictus' token system either. I just get a little bit bitter at F2P games I actually like. Sometimes I wish they'd just charge 30 bucks or whatever and be done with it, rather than set up other payment systems that people have to constantly play around. I am a big fan of how Heroes of Newerth does things, where it's thirty bucks up front and then all the gameplay-relevant updates are free (although a few months back they added a "cash shop" of their own for cosmetics so perhaps it's not the best example...) Whenever I see something marked "free to play", it always means there's going to be a catch somewhere. :(

In any case I'm hopeful for a beta invite, the game is similar to Vindictus in some ways but has a lot more skills to play around with.

I might keep an eye on SK to see if they add any new bosses and stuff. Core gameplay is pretty fun and I had just reached T3 before this stuff hit the fan.

eek5

I might have spoken too soon. The Auction House does have its benefits; income is easier to generate now than ever before. People are buying blue shards at buyout for 150 crowns (I bulk buy 100-200 at a time for 20 crowns each), UV rejects sell at cost or at a 300-400 crown profit which was impossible before (note: not for caliburs, blast bombs, brandishes), and the big money maker is that recipes at selling at 3k profit for 4* and 4-15k profit for 5*. Right now you can do 1-2 runs to T3 basil a day and make 1-3k CE depending on how good of a basil you get which means you can make more CE now by playing less than you could before the patch. How backwards is that? LOL

I don't know how long this will last but those with T3 clearance and some floating capital should set themselves up for life now. At least doing a couple of recipe runs will offset the new crafting costs and if you get lucky on a UV craft you can make bank since there is now little risk unless you're crafting caliburs, brandishes, blast bombs since you'll lose maybe 100-200cr a piece at most.

ZealousD

ygo41.jpg

That's a weird place for you to spawn, Mr. Challenge Room.

ZealousD

For anybody joining this now with the whole Steam thing, the NeoGAF guild is pretty much dead. Eek5 and myself are pretty much the only gaffers still playing this regularly and we've joined another guild.

Send me a friend request with a message saying you're from gaf, and I'll try and help out any newcomers with any advice I can give.

Cipherr

I came here to learn about a free game I got on steam, and ended up looking up this: The Dragon's Nest game, and prepping to uninstall Spiral Knight before I even loaded it up for the first time.

Fack, Dragons Nest beta isnt in english man.

Edit: Win! Found an english patch

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Now Steam's gotten a good amount of people on my friend list playing I might jump in again.

How is the guild you're in ZealousD?

Ed: Oh god... There are achievements now!?

ZealousD

Thnikkaman said:
How is the guild you're in ZealousD?

"Delicious Bacon" is pretty active and we have some cool people, but it's mostly high level players. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable inviting anybody in that didn't at least have T3 access.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
ZealousD said:
"Delicious Bacon" is pretty active and we have some cool people, but it's mostly high level players. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable inviting anybody in that didn't at least have T3 access.
No worries. Just gives me a good reason to catch up.

ZealousD

Sheesh. This Steam launch has been ridiculous. The number of users online has seemingly grown by a factor of five to ten. The cost of energy has halved while the cost of all lower level gear items and materials has skyrocketed. Steam users may have an image of being cheap by always waiting until sales to start buying stuff. But on Spiral Knights, they have opened their wallets.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZealousD said:
Sheesh. This Steam launch has been ridiculous. The number of users online has seemingly grown by a factor of five to ten. The cost of energy has halved while the cost of all lower level gear items and materials has skyrocketed. Steam users may have an image of being cheap by always waiting until sales to start buying stuff. But on Spiral Knights, they have opened their wallets.
I offloaded all of my gear.

How can you still even play Spiral Knights when everything is so horrible?
Just lowball noobies and snatch crap from AH on the cheap?

There's nothing left to do man. Also I didn't see you on.

ZealousD

Hazaro said:
I offloaded all of my gear.

How can you still even play Spiral Knights when everything is so horrible?
Just lowball noobies and snatch crap from AH on the cheap?

There's nothing left to do man. Also I didn't see you on.

I still don't have a Fang of Vog yet. That was my goal and I'm sticking with it. And I guess after that I might even go for a Crest of Almire if I end up feeling motivated.

ZealousD said:
Nice to see the game has new life. I still have little motivation to play tho... just not enough end-game content yet. The Core needs to open up soon.

what Hazaro said

I just started playing this because of the Steam Release. I see a bit of recent negetivity in this thread but I'm willing to give it a shot. If anyone still plays or has just started playing you can add me in game or on steam.

Game: Infernock
Steam: sog_inferno

Songbird

Prodigal Son
It's annoying that having an old account means I won't get Steam achievements, unless there's something I missed.

Soule

Well I've been thinking this game is laggy as hell and now I've just discovered that little ping indicator in the top right corner. It's currently showing 1 tiny little red dot instead of that nice white 4 bar signal that ZealousD's pic shows. No wonder it's frustrating as hell seeing people walk from like 5-10m away and take shit, started playing for the TF2 hat but got a bit interested and now I think I'm gonna give it a miss cause it's not really playable for me at the moment.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Okay, guys, I need some advice. I have the Linksys WRT54 thing that apparently no longer works with Spiral Knights.

So, I can direct connect to the modem. I did this last night to play a round and I think I would really love this game. however, I can't really do this often. The network is shared with my roomie. Oh, and it's a pain in the ass to get the wires to the right places.

Another option is install custom firmware to the router. This looks daunting and also can brick the router. Again, it's a shared network.

Third, I could just.. wait it out. Looking on Amazon and Newegg I'm going to say that this router is one of the most common ones out there. Three Rings simply can't ignore that, can they?

Tried this when it released on Steam, beat the first level where there's co-op. Voice chat doesn't seem to be working for me in it...

ZealousD

Princess Skittles said:
Okay, guys, I need some advice. I have the Linksys WRT54 thing that apparently no longer works with Spiral Knights.

So, I can direct connect to the modem. I did this last night to play a round and I think I would really love this game. however, I can't really do this often. The network is shared with my roomie. Oh, and it's a pain in the ass to get the wires to the right places.

Another option is install custom firmware to the router. This looks daunting and also can brick the router. Again, it's a shared network.

Third, I could just.. wait it out. Looking on Amazon and Newegg I'm going to say that this router is one of the most common ones out there. Three Rings simply can't ignore that, can they?

That router series is a piece of crap. I used to have trouble with my old one all the time. I remember having to install custom firmware to get it to run WoW too. It finally just up and died on me and I got a Netgear router and have had zero issues.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ZealousD said:
That router series is a piece of crap. I used to have trouble with my old one all the time. I remember having to install custom firmware to get it to run WoW too. It finally just up and died on me and I got a Netgear router and have had zero issues.
You could have fooled me, I've had nary an issue with it until this game. And it's got to be at least five years old, probably older.

It's also the highest rated router on Newegg.com.

I won't doubt that it's a cheap router (that's probably why I bought it), but it's worked expertly on everything else thrown at it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Took down the Snarbolax today! Would have been easier solo, the team kept hitting the bell at the worst times and getting themselves killed.

Sciz

So as any of the GAFfers on my friends list can probably attest, I've been playing this like crazy this past week. Energy costs are slowly but steadily rising (4.1k/100 at present), but it's still very easy to turn a healthy profit in T2. Even more so in early T3, when it isn't handing me my ass on a platter in a matter of minutes.

Lots of fun. If you're interested, don't let the doom and gloom on the last couple of pages dissuade you.

DeVeAn

I have an i5 2500K and GTX 570 and this thing can't run in fullscreen @60fps. What the hell? I did the Java update but seems if i want a good frame rate i have to go window mode low res and everything off LOL. Am I doing it wrong?

Card Boy

Banned
Those coloured crystals you get in a dungeon, wheres the hatch to dump them in?

What do they even do? I'm still not clear reading the OP. The UI in this game is confusing.

Eternia

Gez said:
Those coloured crystals you get in a dungeon, wheres the hatch to dump them in?

What do they even do? I'm still not clear reading the OP. The UI in this game is confusing.
Top right of the Arcade area in Haven, there are I believe 4 dormant gates where you can dump your crystals for an insignificant number of crowns. They affect what type of area you get when those gates become active again with certain (top 2) combination of colours. So you in theory would maybe add more crystals to get a stratum that maybe avoid enemies that you don't have weapons/armour for or fight more monsters that drop materials that you need. Their wiki page probably explains better than I can. Personally for me, I just ignored it and hoarded crystals because I'm lazy to even try to manipulate gates for the time being.

And a sidenote, crystal energy has risen to 4.9k/100 over the weekend. I'm kind of sad since it was only 4.2k/100 on Friday and my trusty Ghost Bells that were selling for 10k that day suddenly dropped to 4k the next. The economy is so fickle.

vazel

Banned
This game is so good but the energy runs out too fast! Especially since I've been crafting my tier 2 gear. The energy costs for crafting are steep.

Sarcasm

I just started playing I got to the main town. Now I would love to read every page but is there a faq somewhere I can read for tips? Hints?

ALso I heard this is java base..how can I make it run better? RUns like poo on a E8500 3.16ghz dual core & gtx 260. 4GB ram system 1G GPU.....

This is like MC all over again. Runs fine on my POS work comp though.

Sarcasm said:
I just started playing I got to the main town. Now I would love to read every page but is there a faq somewhere I can read for tips? Hints?

ALso I heard this is java base..how can I make it run better? Runs like poo on a E8500 3.16ghz dual core & gtx 260. 4GB ram system 1G GPU.....

this is all I can offer as far as an faq goes.

for the running better bit, no idea. I just turn the graphics settings down to lowest and it works fine for me. If that doesn't work, then I've got nothing :/

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So, can any experienced players share a few get-rich schemes to a fellow player?

I've been chugging along, getting my gear to lvl10 and buying the recipes for the upgrades. So far, so good. What I want to know is how can I get more money to churn out more items with the unique variants I want, or just buy them from the auction house? I see cool gear with maximum elemental or shadow protection but the price is just astronomical. Also I have lots of hours worth of unused, unwanted materials sitting in my arsenal. Should I sell them all? Getting the ones I need is never a problem.

Top Bottom