• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Geg

Well I got really salty in my previous posts, but if I'm doing anything wrong or if there's anything I can improve on I would like to hear about that as well.

At least last night for the few matches before I left on Moray Towers, I was going 0/5 and 1/4 or whatever for the longest time, and it was clear I was getting myself into too much trouble and not helping the team that way. So I decided to stop going past the middle at all unless I had kraken and only stayed on our team's sniper perch. The good news was that I didn't play against E-Liters that night, otherwise I would be fucking done. I can still shoot into the middle and hit enemies without getting counter-sniped by the Charger across the middle, and allies could jump to me often. I brought my death count down and felt I made an improvement.

(And then that last match on Moray Towers happened lol.)
You use the custom jet squelcher right? That's what Robotguy does on Moray when his team is in control of the middle, he just stands there at the bottom to defend while the rest of his team goes up and Krakens if anyone comes close to him.

Possibly. Can inklings fit in the bucket?
Squid form probably can

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/628492387749269505

CLjafmoUkAAkfIF.jpg:large

CLjZSKQUMAAUJ-L.jpg:large

Just looking forward to the update more and more

Some Ika Musume gear details translated by someone else.

Headgear:
Cost - 1600
Ability - Opening Gambit

Clothing:
Cost - 2000
Ability - Damage Up

Shoes:
Cost - 1700
Ability - Swim Speed Up

All of them are 2-star gear. The brand is "Shinryaku! Ika Musume" (Invade! Squid Girl).

https://mobile.twitter.com/SplatoonWorld

Here's the scan since no one has linked it on this thread yet. Looks pretty good but it might not look good on the guy. The abilities are meh as well, at least for my builds.

Oh, that's probably why no one has linked it yet. Sorry about that.

The squid girl outfit is pretty cute. Wish we could get it here.

Possibly. Can inklings fit in the bucket?

Squid form would, which would make for some hilarious gameplay elements. Sniper fell off of his perch at Walleye? No problem. Just scoop him up and toss him back up there. Want to toss that one jerk on your team off of the stage? No problem. Enemy over the wall? Send in a teammate with your throws for even more pressure.

Biggest megaton is switching gear between rounds. =O

Squid form would, which would make for some hilarious gameplay elements. Sniper fell off of his perch at Walleye? No problem. Just scoop him up and toss him back up there. Want to toss that one jerk on your team off of the stage? No problem. Enemy over the wall? Send in a teammate with your throws for even more pressure.

So you're telling me it's the ultimate support bucket?

WALKMAN04

GameXplain has some footage of the new patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9EweSk-IAw

New Underpass looks cool and I guess Slosher and Splatling both have Ink Strike.
Yes it looks so different, can't wait to try it out
It would be so funny, the enemy thinks it's just one person and they try to corner them then you pull out the other person and throw him over them so you attack from both sides lol
New stage at the 1:12 mark. Flounder Heights
Good catch, now we know the name of that stage they showed earlier

Leatherface

Hey all. Can someone tell me if the new patch will allow me to play as a team with my girlfriend in regular matches and not just the madness that is ranked? Thanks

jwillenn

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! Urchin is so different now! I like it, but I will miss the jump across the center.

edit: NOPE! It's still there! YES!!!

Robotguy

You use the custom jet squelcher right? That's what Robotguy does on Moray when his team is in control of the middle, he just stands there at the bottom to defend while the rest of his team goes up and Krakens if anyone comes close to him.

Squid form probably can
Yeah, my general gameplan for Moray with CJS is to get to our sniper perch quickly and try to lay down paint on the lower area/ take down any enemies entering the area. Then I try to stay down at the bottom for the rest of the match and shoot anybody coming down the enemy ramp. If someone jumps down instead of taking the ramp I'll retreat up our ramp some to create space and limit their approach. If they decide to come straight up the ramp I'll probably just shoot them, if they decide to come up the side wall I'll probably back up a bit and bomb spam them as the come over the top, or possibly Kraken or retreat further if I get into enough trouble. I also try to use Kraken to deal with perched snipers.

In general with the longer ranged weapon sets I try to get the middle and then spend the rest of the match defending it. For the most part I think the maps are designed in such a way that favors the defending team and CQC as you move away from the middle. I'd rather stand back and be the last line of defense than go into a situation where I'll likely end up disadvantaged and then open a hole in our defenses. However, when I play the shorter range weapons I play more aggressively and am more likely to push into enemy territory.

Robotguy

This needs to happen in Spla2n.

Urchin is so redesigned that it's almost a new map. And seeing how the gatling gun works with the double charges really makes it more viable than if you only had 1 charge level.

Robotguy

The center approach options for NeoUnderpass look soooo much better.
The various cover they've added to the middle should make for some interesting encounters I think.

Squid form probably can
Oh I see. Yes I use the custom jet squelcher, and I guess given my experience last night and what you just stated, it's probably in my best interests to not push past the middle for moray towers. Which makes sense, it's easier to get jumped or force close range fights while on the ramps.

Not sure exactly why I started making more aggressive pushes for Moray Towers, given that I knew before that shooting Chargers from underneath tends to be the better position for me. I guess I wanted to figure out how far in I can go with the CJS...

Thanks for that!

Yeah, my general gameplan for Moray with CJS is to get to our sniper perch quickly and try to lay down paint on the lower area/ take down any enemies entering the area. Then I try to stay down at the bottom for the rest of the match and shoot anybody coming down the enemy ramp. If someone jumps down instead of taking the ramp I'll retreat up our ramp some to create space and limit their approach. If they decide to come straight up the ramp I'll probably just shoot them, if they decide to come up the side wall I'll probably back up a bit and bomb spam them as the come over the top, or possibly Kraken or retreat further if I get into enough trouble. I also try to use Kraken to deal with perched snipers.

In general with the longer ranged weapon sets I try to get the middle and then spend the rest of the match defending it. For the most part I think the maps are designed in such a way that favors the defending team and CQC as you move away from the middle. I'd rather stand back and be the last line of defense than go into a situation where I'll likely end up disadvantaged and then open a hole in our defenses. However, when I play the shorter range weapons I play more aggressively and am more likely to push into enemy territory.
Yeah there we go, that all makes so much sense too :) Out of curiosity...

1) What do you do if the enemy has an E-Liter, or anything that can hit you from across the middle to your sniper perch? Do you still try to hold the sniper perch position until the middle is secured?

2) Have you ever found any reason to go past the middle with the CJS on Moray Towers?

Geg

Hey all. Can someone tell me if the new patch will allow me to play as a team with my girlfriend in regular matches and not just the madness that is ranked? Thanks

Not in online games against randoms unfortunately, squads are ranked only. It would have to be in private matches

DaBoss

The Splatling and Slosher win animation. Splatling animation is adorable and the Slosher animation is just great. Spinning the bucket on one finger, you win dev team.

Does the Splatling's arc shots do damage? I imagine they won't.
The center approach options for NeoUnderpass look soooo much better.
The various cover they've added to the middle should make for some interesting encounters I think.
I think I'll use NeoUnderpass from now on lol.

Zing

Banned
Haha, it never fails... "What is my team DOING??"

Match ends... I see that I was teamed with all rank B.

I wasn't that bad when I was a B, was I?

Robotguy

Oh I see. Yes I use the custom jet squelcher, and I guess given my experience last night and what you just stated, it's probably in my best interests to not push past the middle for moray towers. Which makes sense, it's easier to get jumped or force close range fights while on the ramps.

Not sure exactly why I started making more aggressive pushes for Moray Towers, given that I knew before that shooting Chargers from underneath tends to be the better position for me. I guess I wanted to figure out how far in I can go with the CJS...

Thanks for that!

Yeah there we go, that all makes so much sense too :) Out of curiosity...

1) What do you do if the enemy has an E-Liter, or anything that can hit you from across the middle to your sniper perch? Do you still try to hold the sniper perch position until the middle is secured?

2) Have you ever found any reason to go past the middle with the CJS on Moray Towers?
1) Nah, if I get to the perch and see an E-liter or such on the other side I typically go down the side ramp to the corner. Then I'll usually use the box for cover and try to spray as much if I can and wait for an opportunity to do something. I think you can spray pretty much a full path up the quarter pipe and wall from that position without leaving cover too much, so you can use that to get up to their perch and attempt to engage their sniper in CQC if necessary. Might be better to spray around your ramps some to charge up Kraken before you try that though, because if they're packing a typical E-liter setup with burst bombs attempting to come at them at close range could be a mess.
2) I pretty much just go up to their first level to engage snipers as necessary. I don't really venture past there as CJS at all.

Also possibly worth noting is that from the floor you can shoot up to just over the top of the sniper perch. At short enough distances from the wall. You can't really effectively engage a sniper with this method, but you can likely pressure them into backing off a bit to somewhere where they can't hit you.

So according to IGN's video, LV24→LV25 need 120 points. Since we know that LV21→LV22 need 48 points. with some calculation we may need 11600 points to reach LV50.

In ranked mode winning is +3, 5 mins bonus +5, wonder what will be 1 min bonus.

Geg

I kind of want them to redo the win animation for the other weapon types now, those two are far and away the best

The slosher and splatling both look like giant pains in the asses to fight against. The new urchin underpass also looks amazing.

I also hope we get something that will get people to stop wearing that stupid-looking gas mask.

Nico_D

What is it with this matchmaking? It's puts me regularly on a winning streak just to follow it up with a losing streak. Back and forth. I just had two A+ players against my team with all B+'s.

DaBoss

You can see what weapons your Squad is using right in the lobby. You don't see what the other squad is using though.
So according to IGN's video, LV24→LV25 need 120 points. Since we know that LV21→LV22 need 48 points. with some calculation we may need 11600 points to reach LV50.

In ranked mode winning is +3, 5 mins bonus +5, wonder what will be 1 min bonus.
Link: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/08/04/14-minutes-of-splatoons-big-update-ign-plays

I imagine the less time taken to win, the higher the time bonus. I think the KO bonus will be +5.

Looks like I can't sniper camp the hell out of the middle of Urchin anymore. Which is a good thing, but still, it was fun. And the slosher looks really fun to use.

Top Bottom