• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Totakeke

I wish they had but I'm assuming they didn't keep underpass available to play in private lobbies. Underpass had issues and I understand taking it out of the map pool but I'd still like the option to play on it if I want.

No. Less sharking for you.

Robotguy

I wish they had but I'm assuming they didn't keep underpass available to play in private lobbies. Underpass had issues and I understand taking it out of the map pool but I'd still like the option to play on it if I want.
Yeah, that would be cool.

SplatGAF, do we have anyone very skilled with the Splash-o-matic? I know someone who loves the weapon, but is having a hard time figuring out how to improve with it, and I'm no expert on short-range weapons. Any strategies or pointers I could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Splash and i'd say using the bombs is the key. As in use a bomb to throw off the other guy then while they're backing off you rush in and splat em! At least, that's how I use it until I meet an annoying sniper then I have to change everything :p

backlot

According to GameXplain/IGN videos they didn't update Urchin Underpass' thumbnail, it still shows our good old tree.

Where where did they confirm that the new stage launched with 2.0.0?

The video specifically said there are no new maps with the update other than updated Underpass.

RedFyn

SplatGAF, do we have anyone very skilled with the Splash-o-matic? I know someone who loves the weapon, but is having a hard time figuring out how to improve with it, and I'm no expert on short-range weapons. Any strategies or pointers I could pass along would be greatly appreciated.
I use it a lot in splat zones. I think I'm decent with it. It's hard to give pointers without seeing someone play as I don't know what he's struggling with. Is there a specific map or situation he's not sure how to deal with? It would help if he could get on and play with us.

That said, the O'Malley, as I like to call it, is a lot of fun. I think playing very fast is the best way to use it. Swim speed up and ink resistance allow you to get around quick and for turf war adding on ninja squid will make you a real threat. You have to have good aim as the ttk is higher than it seems and you must get good at using your bombs to manipulate enemies into a more favorable position. You don't have a lot of range so you'll be throwing bombs a lot to counter long range weapons.

Manipulating someone with bombs is pretty easy although it requires good aim. Throw a bomb to the left and they'll go right, to their right and they'll go left. In front and they'll jump back and to their back and they'll go forward (if they notice it) Its not guaranteed but this is how people react most of the time.

I did this to azure on his stream and I've been meaning to look for the video but on rig if someone is on the sniper perch (the side path to the middle) you can throw a bomb behind them and then just shoot up. If they don't react quick enough they get stuck in between and have to choose how they wish to die.

Crayolan

avhJACR.jpg

Was from the Gamexplain video

The map being available in the reviewer build does not confirm it will be available to play tomorrow. They wouldn't leave out something big like a map in the patch notes.

J@hranimo

Banned

Wait...so we can't choose New Underpass AT ALL in our private lobbies?

Which one? The vanilla or the neo splash? I think for both, bombs are certainly important to master. It has short range so flushing out enemies with a bomb before you go in is essential to your overall game plan. Otherwise, get your special charged first before engaging since its very easy to get it charged with the rate of fire. That's just general tips, there are more specifics to be said with each map and the person's playstyle xD

I main splash o matic, but I'm nowhere near an expert. I find myself dying a lot in close combat, which is logical considering the low range of the weapon, but just as much because of the 4hit to kill. But whenever I win in those situations it's because I've kept a distance, paved an escape route to allow me to hit and run, and hit again. Another tactic that benefits, but mostly is just my style of play is to use walls, boxes or whatever to gain some height in close combat, if anything it gives me that extra time to get that 4th killing shot.

I'm highly dependent on my bombs obviously.

Thanks, you two. I'll pass these along.

Edit: And Jeff and Red too, thank you.

...Burst bombs? :D
Pretty sure of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-9hysETIw&t=2m24s

There's nobody else nearby that could've thrown the Burst Bomb, and there's a throw animation that happens as the Burst Bomb is traveling.

The original, with Suction Bombs + Bomb Rush, if that helps.
Ah, I like the Splash-o-Matic a lot :)

My strategy with the Splash-o-Matic is to be moving and covering territory all the time instead of rushing to contested territory. You basically want to feed your meter because you want to use Suction Bomb Rush as often as possible, and the Splash-o-Matic is pretty good at feeding meter. When it comes to fighting, you usually want to lead with a Suction Bomb to force an enemy in a particular direction, then adjust appropriately. If you can attack from behind or the side, that would also work. You basically don't ever want to attack head on or in very open spaces. You will also be using Suction Bombs a lot to deal with enemies on higher ground or lower ground, or behind walls.

When you get Suction Bomb Rush, you want to utilize it as soon as you can, but don't use it if you're going to die or if you're outnumbered. You want to be in a situation in which you can throw at least 3 Suction Bombs and have them spread out. Don't forget to use your gun to make more ink if you need it while Bomb Rushing, you don't necessarily have to use the full duration for just throwing bombs.

For the particular playstyle mentioned, it works best on Walleye Warehouse and Blackbelly Skatepark. You're rarely locked out hard in the middle, have more opportunities to get into the enemy's side, and the maps are fairly small.

Geg

When you get Suction Bomb Rush, you want to utilize it as soon as you can, but don't use it if you're going to die or if you're outnumbered. You want to be in a situation in which you can throw at least 3 Suction Bombs and have them spread out. Don't forget to use your gun to make more ink if you need it while Bomb Rushing, you don't necessarily have to use the full duration for just throwing bombs.
Yeah if I see someone using splat or suction bomb rush close to me I usually try to take the opportunity to rush in and kill them before they can get many off. I'll consider it a victory even if it ends up being a kamikaze attack

Hackworth

lol. Go into an A+ lobby and a third of all the sub slots among all combined gear are damage up.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

-Alexander Pope

I'm tired of correcting people drunk on matter-of-fact attitude.
Ay m8, is there a list of the good skills? I generally build outfits for the look of it but I figure if I'm going to git gud I should probably learn what's useful.

ryechu

Ay m8, is there a list of the good skills? I generally build outfits for the look of it but I figure if I'm going to git gud I should probably learn what's useful.

Depends on your playstyle. Cold blooded and ink res are the most common unique abilities. I see ink saver main, special up and dmg up stacked most often.

Ink saver subs and special duration up are probably the most situational.

ryechu

Are Ink Savers displaced in favor of Ink Recovery at higher levels come to think of it?

Perhaps. I mean I think ink recoveries are a lot better. But i see ink hungry guns like the pro and the gals using ink savers. Tentateks and e liters do better with ink rec, and those are two weapons are centralizing, so you are probably right.

Robotguy

It really depends on what kind of weapons you're using, and in some cases the mode you're playing, so it's hard to make a definitive list of good skills.
For example I play a lot of custom jet squelcher. This is an ink heavy weapon, and it gets a 1 bomb + 1 shot combo at 2 DMG up main, so I my setup for it has 2X DMG up main, 1 Ink saver main and at least 2 each of the following subs: inksaver main, inksaver sub, ink recovery.

For closer range weapons like blaster and carbon roller I tend to run Ninja Squid so it's easier to sneak up on people. Ninja squid nerfs swim speed, so I include swim speed up in my build to help counteract that.

In tower control I die a lot more so I'm more likely to run sets including things like comeback and quick respawn.

Chargers (excluding squiffers) can KO at less than full charge when using DMG up, so DMG up is popular with chargers since they can get their shots off faster.

ryechu

the splatoon apologists are one of the worst, "i dont want you to have a preferred control option [pro controller] that you could be better at because i personally do not think you will be better at it" lol what? how is that a good reason?

Man, I love it when we have parallel threads going on.

J@hranimo

Banned
Are Ink Savers displaced in favor of Ink Recovery at higher levels come to think of it?

I like to have a healthy balance between the two depending on what I'm using. Splattershots and Squelchers are usually the ones for the well rounded loadouts while like ryechu said the gals and splattershot pro DEFINITELY need a more ink saver heavy loadout.

Azure J

The control debate is never going to end. Especially since this is a game that is successful AND hasn't relented in its control options.

Re: Ink Recovery v. Saver

I've run both Saver Main and Recovery from the beginning and I guess I'm looking to see which one of the two I could forgo in order to have alternate perks going. Recovery makes the most sense to keep as a brush since you spend a lot of time swimmming from one patch to the next or orienting for ambushes and having your ink back for that stuff during travel is helpful. Saver main is helpful for allowing me to use brush mode more often for escapes or pursuit.

Yeah if I see someone using splat or suction bomb rush close to me I usually try to take the opportunity to rush in and kill them before they can get many off. I'll consider it a victory even if it ends up being a kamikaze attack
Yup. A bad habit I see from bomb rushers (and something that I might sometimes do) is to just go into a bomb throwing rush with all the focus on throwing bombs asap in any direction, but with little awareness of enemies. The payload for something like Killer Wail or Inkstrike can be delivered in about a second, but a bomb rusher needs the full 8 or so seconds.

Which reminds me, if I feel like I need the insurance or will go for a revenge kill, I drop a bomb right at my feet or nearby in case I think someone close by. But it's still better to try inking your surroundings and maneuver if possible.

Hackworth

What this is telling me is that I need more ink savers/recovery in my base sets.
I like my Biker Boots, so I'm glad Ink Res is good.

Is Defence Up ever useful?

Celine

Who is the gaffer M.?
Made me rage quit (I didn't disconnect but just stopped playing or else I would throw out the gamepad).

Azure J

Ink Resistance pre patch was probably the best ability in the game. Nowadays, it's top 5 and something I still think you would never feel bad about having.

Edit: I should probably also mention it's an ability for people who have to go into heavily inked areas and play cleanup or push aggressively.

Heng

The control debate is never going to end. Especially since this is a game that is successful AND hasn't relented in its control options.
I think they should just patch it in and let those people realize it's not as good as they think it'll work out. Those people don't factor in that you don't need a map in the dojo and possibly no ink strike (I haven't touched that mode so I don't know if inkstrike is in it). You could always also use it in conjunction with the game pad, but that means you're using the pro, gamepad, and wii mote (if they want to use motion control) all at the same time.

lol. Go into an A+ lobby and a third of all the sub slots among all combined gear are damage up.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

-Alexander Pope

I'm tired of correcting people drunk on matter-of-fact attitude.
There is no point in trying to teach those that are not willing to learn. They've convinced themselves that their style is the right way and nothing can convince them otherwise. You could join their room and show them how wrong they are, but they'll end up blaming something else for their ignorance.

Ah, I like the Splash-o-Matic a lot :)

My strategy with the Splash-o-Matic is to be moving and coving territory all the time instead of rushing to contested territory. You basically want to feed your meter because you want to use Suction Bomb Rush as often as possible, and the Splash-o-Matic is pretty good at feeding meter. When it comes to fighting, you usually want to lead with a Suction Bomb to force an enemy in a particular direction, then adjust appropriately. If you can attack from behind or the side, that would also work. You basically don't ever want to attack head on or in very open spaces. You will also be using Suction Bombs a lot to deal with enemies on higher ground or lower ground, or behind walls.

For the particular playstyle mentioned, it works best on Walleye Warehouse and Blackbelly Skatepark. You're rarely locked out hard in the middle, have more opportunities to get into the enemy's side, and the maps are fairly small.

Thanks CoconutTank, I'll pass this on too.

ryechu

Its not really a debate when people aren't adhering to logical discourse. Its babble at this point. I dont understand how these people hold so much confidence in the average person to make correct, informed decisions, and yet through their words make every effort to illustrate the contrary.

I come into these threads with the intent to say "the masses are stupider/rasher than you realise", but ironically come out even more disillusioned with humanity.

phanphare

Banned
I think they should just patch it in and let those people realize it's not as good as they think it'll work out. Those people don't factor in that you don't need a map in the dojo and possibly no ink strike (I haven't touched that mode so I don't know if inkstrike is in it). You could always also use it in conjunction with the game pad, but that means you're using the pro, gamepad, and wii mote (if they want to use motion control) all at the same time.

as long as they're in a different matchmaking pool lol

we don't need even more people rendering squid beacons useless

Vecks

What this is telling me is that I need more ink savers/recovery in my base sets.
Are Defence Up or Ink Resistance ever useful? I like my Biker Boots.

Defense up is mostly to counter damage up, so it's useful against damage up chargers (and I think it's especially useful against .52 gals). Even though the percentages are different, it supposedly negates the full effect of damage up 1:1.

Now, I'm not sure about the consensus on ink resistance post-nerf, but IMO, ink resistance is mostly useful for people who people who need to hop (like rollers or blasters) or for something like inkzooka where you can get stuck very easily without it. Personally, I don't use it that much anymore since the nerf. I just typically use it when I want to stick mines in enemy ink.

WALKMAN04

Re: Ink Recovery v. Saver

I've run both Saver Main and Recovery from the beginning and I guess I'm looking to see which one of the two I could forgo in order to have alternate perks going. Recovery makes the most sense to keep as a brush since you spend a lot of time swimmming from one patch to the next or orienting for ambushes and having your ink back for that stuff during travel is helpful. Saver main is helpful for allowing me to use brush mode more often for escapes or pursuit.

There is no point in trying to teach those that are not willing to learn. They've convinced themselves that their style is the right way and nothing can convince them otherwise. You could join their room and show them how wrong they are, but they'll end up blaming something else for their ignorance.

Its not really a debate when people aren't adhering to logical discourse. Its babble at this point. I dont understand how these people hold so much confidence for the average person to make correct, informed decisions, and yet in through their words make every effort to illustrate the contrary.

I come into these threads with the intent to say "the masses are stupider/rasher than you realise", but ironically come out even more disillusioned with humanity.
The thing I find the most funny about the control debate is that it's never from people who actually post in this thread, it's usually another thread or someone who posts once here. That's how you know they haven't actually played enough to know that that isn't a viable option. Also the call of duty inkstrike method where a map pops up doesn't make sense to me at all, ink strikes already keep you stationary for 3-5 seconds, having it any longer like 5+ to pull out a map doesn't make sense in a 3 min game, in a 15 minute game like Call of Duty ok but not really in this.

Heng

as long as they're in a different matchmaking pool lol

we don't need even more people rendering squid beacons useless
Their score and kill death ratio would be so low that they'll automatically be put in rooms against new comers or they'll wise up and go back to the gamepad.

Top Bottom