• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

GameXplain said you can change gear from the lobby too. That's pretty cool.

That makes grinding out gears in gaf lobbies much less painful now.

I should specify that you can only change gear in Squad and Private lobbies.

Well then, at least it's useful when I want to change from suicide roller gear to charger based gear in ranked at least.

Edit: Do we still have any new information regarding the maskless octoling yet?
tumblr_nrz9fdwwMs1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

StAidan

New Underpass looks great. The updated landscape should provide improved tools for [almost] all weapon types. I'm hyped for the patch! The new weapons look even cooler in the extended previews (although I can't imagine the splatling being the right weapon for me).

DaBoss

GameXplain said you can change gear from the lobby too. That's pretty cool.
Yea, I heard.

I imagine this would be on the gamepad, which would be a million times better than freaking Squid Jump. I watch the Squid in Squid Jump die multiple times because of how much I hate it. It represents all of the waiting I had to do in this game lol.
That makes grinding out gears in gaf lobbies much less painful now.
I doubt Private lobbies would allow you to level up gear.

Ahnez

Wow Underpass looks actually playable now

So according to IGN's video, LV24→LV25 need 120 points. Since we know that LV21→LV22 need 48 points. with some calculation we may need 11600 points to reach LV50.

In ranked mode winning is +3, 5 mins bonus +5, wonder what will be 1 min bonus.

I wonder if 21 -> 22 is still 48

We all agreed that 48p is much easier than 19 -> 20

Maybe they just adjusted the 20 -> 21 total.

I mean, increasing 24 points/level is.. just insane :p

They're posting more videos on their page.

Slosher gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-9hysETIw

Splatling gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZNMtAjEHQ

Underpass Recon mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYV8mWm3-4
Ooo cool :)

Slosher looks like it basically shoots out charger lines that aren't fully charged, but can arc over walls and damage that way. It doesn't look like they OHKO either, which is good. I'm hoping that the range of the arc is long enough to go over the wall onto the enemy's perch from your entrance to the middle on Arowana Mall.

loadout is: Slosher / Burst Bombs / Inkstrike

Splatling looks really cumbersome to use o_O but the range and rate of fire is so so good, and it looks like it kills in 3 hits. Not related to the Splatling itself but I dunno why the guy in the video didn't use his Inkstrikes...

loadout is: Splatling / Splash Wall / Inkstrike

I like NeoUnderpass! The middle looks like a garden, and I definitely like the additional ways into the middle with the additional cover as well.

1) Nah, if I get to the perch and see an E-liter or such on the other side I typically go down the side ramp to the corner. Then I'll usually use the box for cover and try to spray as much if I can and wait for an opportunity to do something. I think you can spray pretty much a full path up the quarter pipe and wall from that position without leaving cover too much, so you can use that to get up to their perch and attempt to engage their sniper in CQC if necessary. Might be better to spray around your ramps some to charge up Kraken before you try that though, because if they're packing a typical E-liter setup with burst bombs attempting to come at them at close range could be a mess.
2) I pretty much just go up to their first level to engage snipers as necessary. I don't really venture past there as CJS at all.

Also possibly worth noting is that from the floor you can shoot up to just over the top of the sniper perch. At short enough distances from the wall. You can't really effectively engage a sniper with this method, but you can likely pressure them into backing off a bit to somewhere where they can't hit you.
Thanks for sharing your experiences :) And yeah being able to shoot a Charger from underneath if they're at the edge of the sniper perch is pretty sweet. If I force the Charger to back off, then they can't use their full range into the middle and can't fire down at me either, which is great.

J@hranimo

Banned
New Underpass looks sweet. As the only fan of the old now-singleplayer-exclusive version this looks to be great. Snipers beware...

Also everything was inkstrikes. Both new weapons got it? Sheesh lol.

Yea, I heard.

I imagine this would be on the gamepad, which would be a million times better than freaking Squid Jump. I watch the Squid in Squid Jump die multiple times because of how much I hate it. It represents all of the waiting I had to do in this game lol.
Not the gamepad. You press +. See that little notification on the screen?

SplatGAF, do we have anyone very skilled with the Splash-o-matic? I know someone who loves the weapon, but is having a hard time figuring out how to improve with it, and I'm no expert on short-range weapons. Any strategies or pointers I could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
WOW all of this new info while I'm stuck in finals hell ): i'll have to look at all of this when I get home but man, the new underpass looks HUGE. I'm a fan of the trees in the middle. Can't wait for this update knowing we can change gears now in the lobby too!
kreygasm

atr0cious

Well I got really salty in my previous posts, but if I'm doing anything wrong or if there's anything I can improve on I would like to hear about that as well.

At least last night for the few matches before I left on Moray Towers, I was going 0/5 and 1/4 or whatever for the longest time, and it was clear I was getting myself into too much trouble and not helping the team that way. So I decided to stop going past the middle at all unless I had kraken and only stayed on our team's sniper perch. The good news was that I didn't play against E-Liters that night, otherwise I would be fucking done. I can still shoot into the middle and hit enemies without getting counter-sniped by the Charger across the middle, and allies could jump to me often. I brought my death count down and felt I made an improvement.

(And then that last match on Moray Towers happened lol.)
I think as long as you show up in the streams you'll continue to get good feedback on yourself. Also just hanging out in chat while we debate strategies can open everyone's eyes to different ways to play weapons.

They're posting more videos on their page.

Slosher gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-9hysETIw

Splatling gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZNMtAjEHQ

Underpass Recon mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYV8mWm3-4

Yes, the new meta reveals itself, curving trickshots with the bucket. Were those burst bombs I saw? Cannot wait. That splatling footage looks great too, with a lot of different angles already showing themselves.

CLli1U7UEAAEupe.jpg

someone doesn't want to put up with any more shit

Aerospray hard counter lol

Wow Underpass looks actually playable now
It's a wonder it shipped in the state it did, it has the complete opposite philosophy of the other maps with all the complexities taking place in the base and nothing in the middle. Glad to see them notice this and actually remake the map. Has that ever been done before by an official dev?

With the imminent update, I want to try and take advantage of my most hated super, the killer wail, and try to make a build around popping it a lot.

Don't usually show off my gear as Spyke hates my guts, so I have to Frankenstein builds, but we were talking about it on the stream, and I think I found a set I like both aesthetically and practically.

Gonna see if I can keep my nozzle footwork without ink resistance, while relying on my coverage skills to build meter, with the special saver helping me when I die.

Hopping on stream to try it now.

The new Urchin Underpass looks fantastic. I found it interesting that now each team has a perch directly to the sides of the middle of the Splat Zone but the floor behind the grating on the perch is glass, so people who want to snipe/camp from there have to retreat back into the corridor to reload ink.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
SplatGAF, do we have anyone very skilled with the Splash-o-matic? I know someone who loves the weapon, but is having a hard time figuring out how to improve with it, and I'm no expert on short-range weapons. Any strategies or pointers I could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Which one? The vanilla or the neo splash? I think for both, bombs are certainly important to master. It has short range so flushing out enemies with a bomb before you go in is essential to your overall game plan. Otherwise, get your special charged first before engaging since its very easy to get it charged with the rate of fire. That's just general tips, there are more specifics to be said with each map and the person's playstyle xD

Rize_21

Sitting at A 8, was A 90 before communication errors began to destroy my games at the most random moments, was doing so well with my teammates on camp triggerfish/walleye warehouse expecting to go all the way to A+ 99, jeez, these tears are made of lemons right now...

Which one? The vanilla or the neo splash? I think for both, bombs are certainly important to master. It has short range so flushing out enemies with a bomb before you go in is essential to your overall game plan. Otherwise, get your special charged first before engaging since its very easy to get it charged with the rate of fire. That's just general tips, there are more specifics to be said with each map and the person's playstyle xD

The original, with Suction Bombs + Bomb Rush, if that helps.

why.jpg

Am I the only one here who doesn't know how to use Inkstrikes? :<
Put them in a place where your allies are fighting or you see a sniper being annoying. And for the love of all that is sacred, hide.

Well except for the last couple seconds where you should just go for the cheese win.

Put them in a place where your allies are fighting or you see a sniper being annoying. And for the love of all that is sacred, hide.

Well except for the last couple seconds where you should just go for the cheese win.

I had three aimed at me in one match once. I thought it was more amusing than anything.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Here's an updated changelog of every Splatoon update for funsies. All dates are North American, so add a day for Europe and Japan.

Patches, new game modes and Splat Fests are highlighted, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel, N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (fixed a glitch with Spyke not taking money and stabilized Booyah Base framerate)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (with balance patch: Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed)
July 1: Added: Tower Control
July 4: First Splatfest (cats vs. dogs)
July 7: Added: Sploosh-o-matic, .96 Gal Deco
July 10: Added: Moray Towers
July 17: Added: N-ZAP '89, Octobrush
July 18: Second Splatfest (rollercoasters vs. waterslides)
July 21: Added: Neo Splash-o-matic, E-Liter 3K Scope
July 24: Added: Camp Triggerfish
July 31: Added: Range Blaster, Inkbrush Nouveau
Aug. 5: Patch Version 2.0 (added: Squad Battles, Private Battles, Splatling and Slosher weapon types, three new background songs during matches, new gear in shops; increased level cap from 20 to 50 and ranked cap from A+ to S+; reworked Urchin Underpass; nerfed Inkzooka and Echolocator and buffed Killer Wail)
Aug. 8: Third Splatfest (marshmallows vs. hot dogs)

StAidan

Personally, my favorite inkstrike use is the one where, during an intense inkfight with an enemy, he inadvertently activates it, allowing me to put him out of his embarrassment/misery.

I'm surprised at how many changes there are for Underpass, didn't realise it was that broken.
A lockout is horrifying.

Take the left? No you're dead.

Take the right? No you're dead.

Take the middle? No if you go past the hump without a bubbler or kraken you're probably dead.

Geg

Personally, my favorite inkstrike use is the one where, during an intense inkfight with an enemy, he inadvertently activates it, allowing me to put him out of his embarrassment/misery.

lol I did this a lot when I was trying out the splattershot pro after mostly using the dual squelcher and immediately activating my echolocator upon reaching it. When I switched from the standard dual squelcher to the custom I had to learn to not activate immediately, since killer wail leaves me just as open as the inkstrike

Ahnez

Still I can't use it efficiently. Its too hard ;_; I never see a good opportunity

Crayolan

The original, with Suction Bombs + Bomb Rush, if that helps.
I main splash o matic, but I'm nowhere near an expert. I find myself dying a lot in close combat, which is logical considering the low range of the weapon, but just as much because of the 4hit to kill. But whenever I win in those situations it's because I've kept a distance, paved an escape route to allow me to hit and run, and hit again. Another tactic that benefits, but mostly is just my style of play is to use walls, boxes or whatever to gain some height in close combat, if anything it gives me that extra time to get that 4th killing shot.

I'm highly dependent on my bombs obviously.

StAidan

lol I did this a lot when I was trying out the splattershot pro after mostly using the dual squelcher and immediately activating my echolocator upon reaching it. When I switched from the standard dual squelcher to the custom I had to learn to not activate immediately, since killer wail leaves me just as open as the inkstrike

I always feel kind of bad when I come up on someone in the inkstrike pose, in particular. Same feeling I've had in the past when I want to use the restroom and find that someone else had the same idea, but forgot to lock the door.

According to GameXplain/IGN videos they didn't update Urchin Underpass' thumbnail, it still shows our good old tree.

Aug. 5: Patch Version 2.0 (added: Squad Battles, Private Battles, Splatling and Slosher weapon types, Flounder Heights, new background music during matches, new gear in shops; increased level cap from 20 to 50 and ranked cap from A+ to S+; reworked Urchin Underpass; nerfed Inkzooka and Echolocator and buffed Killer Wail)
Where where did they confirm that the new stage launched with 2.0.0?

Totakeke

The ign video gave a tiny sneak listen of the new music and it's awesomeeee.

Changing weapons between battles is definitely welcome.

RedFyn

I wish they had but I'm assuming they didn't keep underpass available to play in private lobbies. Underpass had issues and I understand taking it out of the map pool but I'd still like the option to play on it if I want.

Top Bottom