• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Doorman

Delete Rig zones.

I'm not a big fan of the map in general anyway, but that mode in particular really chafes me for some reason and I never seem to perform very well on it. It feels like very few of the weapons I regularly use are at all well-suited to handle it.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Oh man Berry Splattershot Pro! Hype!

I enjoy the Pro's, despite the horrendous ink usage. I feel if I stick with them I'll eventually master them by the time I get to the higher ranks.

Can anyone verify if Splattershot pros are popular in the top tiers?

ffdgh

First smash and now splatoon's metagame being turned upside down? Love it!
them swim speed nerfs with certain weapons...
That 96 gal nerf...
Them long range charger nerfs...Yay For eliter. Boo for the splat charger.
That burst bomb nerf.
2 ink mines!.....kinda.

This is gonna be fun :D

Kito

On weapons changes, I'm only affected by the Slosher (Deco) and Carbon Deco changes and both are buffed, no complaints here.

The special gauge nerf is beautiful and may make TC playable again. A solution I never thought of.

Burst bomb nerf is overkill.

You can tell that .52Gal is the best main weapon ever designed. After all these main weapon balance change, they didn't touch .52Gal once.

Jims

RIP Burst Bombs. They probably did need a slight nerf overall, but increasing the ink consumption up to 40% seems like a big deal. I guess since they buffed the damage radii, what they want is more deliberate Burst Bombing and less spamming.

75% special loss on respawn seems like a lot. I wonder what that's going to do to the Tentatek, .96 Deco, and Dynamos.

Happy to see they're buffing the movement speed on the Jet Squelchers. You move sooooo slowly with that thing. With the Burst Bomb change, the CJS will play kind of differently.

What's up with the N-ZAP changes? Is it finally adjusting that skinny ink coverage? I hope that's what increasing the radius of the droplets means. The N-ZAPs spread has always been kind of weird to use.

Splash-O-Matics seem like a big winner in this patch. Looks like they want it to compete with the Splattershots more.

Also whohoo for the Slosher changes! Trying to Slosh people to death was such a chore, maybe this will help out. Seems like the developers were noticing it was too easy to run away from Sloshers and they buffed the stun rate and fire rate. Kinda want to revisit the Slosher Deco after this patch. Actually, vanilla Slosher might be more interesting if the medium damage Burst Bomb radius is increased. Hmmm.

(They're really trying to murder Cold Blooded and Echolocator, huh?)

Kito

Dynamo already has two of the 'worst' specials in the game so the new special could make it a megaton... If it's not bomb rush or wail, we're looking at kraken, bubbler or inkzooka *shivers*

EulaCapra

Ink Mine
An Ink Mine can be set when one has already been placed. Note: Placing the second Ink Mine will cause the first unexploded Ink Mine to disappear.

That's pretty huge! I'm liking these changes. Especially the charge and swim speed nerfs to E-Liters and their Burst Bombs. Gotta start adjusting now for the charge time as a Splat Charger main.

Although I don't know why regular Splat Rollers and Dynamo Rollers get another nerf. Poor things are usually always the first to get splatted.

Moondrop

Banned
I don't know how to feel about this permanent ink brush. I really wanted burst bombs, but this is a pretty powerful combo.

Loving the promise of a new dynamo. Hope it's got bubbler or kraken.

As to the buffs/nerfs:
- Loss of special gauge on respawn depends on weapon, irrespective of type of special... that's so illogical. And actually a buff to all weapons not listed.
- E-liter partially charged shots nerfed in range. Love it.
- Slosher deco for top tier with enhanced fire rate.
- Don't assume burst bombs are truly nerfed. With the buffs to ink saver sub, you can still likely push it under 33% fairly easily. And their radii are increased.
- Echolocator duration nerfed. Forget all that theory crafting from earlier this week.
- Cold-blooded nerfed. Get wrecked.

Azure J

Still kinda mulling over the changes after reacting and discussing it in Discord and I find myself in a strange place where I generally think the 96 Deco is going to keep on 96 Deco-ing, but I'm weirdly apprehensive about it with the looming threat of defense up everywhere.

But then I remember it gets its RNG mostly fixed and I'm like "its a 52 base damage straight shooter with that range, walls and Kraken" and I can't help but smile a little.

Kelp might see a lot more usage from me but I think E-Liters are going to require dedicated mains to enjoy them after the changes.

...give the brush class a fuckin' buff/big change already Nintendo. I love the gameplay but it still feels like it wants something more.

Edit: I still want Haunt to be a thing.

Wtf they come along and cripple the burst bombs right as I get into using Elitre

This sucks man!

As someone who likes the vanilla's kit, it was worth it if it meant no more "lolswiminacirclebombingsomeonesfeetandwinningaftertheygottheflank" E-Burst Bombers. It also doesn't stop the use of bombs for zoning over walls or using them as combo finishers after using a weak uncharged hit first.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ink Mine
An Ink Mine can be set when one has already been placed. Note: Placing the second Ink Mine will cause the first unexploded Ink Mine to disappear.

That's pretty huge! I'm liking these changes. Especially the charge and swim speed nerfs to E-Liters and their Burst Bombs. Gotta start adjusting now for the charge time as a Splat Charger main.

Although I don't know why regular Splat Rollers and Dynamo Rollers get another nerf. Poor things are usually always the first to get splatted.

It's a buff in overall usability but not in killing effectiveness. If they made it where placing a new one would detonate the old one that would kreygasm. I still appreciate the change as a bubble brush and rapid blaster user.

Complete game changer!

I can't tell if you're serious or not haha. Basically we're getting the maxed out single player seeker!

Overall these changes....the effects of the special gauge nerfs are yet to be seen for ranked in general but I think for the most part the meta will remain the same. Def up and Quick Respawn will remain the best abilities to stack. Chargers will adapt. Gals will be strong.

Although the couple of things I'm most interested in are the Jet Squelcher movement buffs and inkstrike lag reduction buff.

New dynamo gives me a headache.

Nico_D

Delete Rig zones.

I'm not a big fan of the map in general anyway, but that mode in particular really chafes me for some reason and I never seem to perform very well on it. It feels like very few of the weapons I regularly use are at all well-suited to handle it.

I agree that Rig Zones is the worst mode there but I wouldn't delete it. I'd delete Camp SZ instead.

Rig is too hard to retake though. It can be done but if the team is not playing together and it isn't exactly the right, it won't succeed. But when it does, I like it.

Nico_D

Wtf they come along and cripple the burst bombs right as I get into using Elitre

This sucks man!

I don't know about that. We'll see how big is the effect, two burst bombs should always be enough - I think you can do three even with the new consumption. But even more incentive to learn to do those combo shots.

J@hranimo

Banned
ACTUALLY thinking about this update more the other big buff that is substantial is the Hydras being 3HKO while the rest remain 4HKO.

Also with the sloshers overall buff in firing in addition to not getting a Nerf in special gauge, will the slosher deco finally get its time to shine with .96 gal decos roaming everywhere?

Also I fully read the burst bomb changes. That section is probably the most thoughtout change in this entire patch. It makes them the fully maxed out single player burst bombs which means it's radius will be wide.

Nintendo japanese Splatoon twitter has announced a mobile battle booth for four players!
Buy two for a match up of eight players! release date and price to be announced

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/715720362957283328

Happy april fools

Looks like it's real after all. lol

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/718348450715320320

CfgWX6TW4AEBCuD.jpg:orig

Dynamo already has two of the 'worst' specials in the game so the new special could make it a megaton... If it's not bomb rush or wail, we're looking at kraken, bubbler or inkzooka *shivers*

Echolocator is an instant ink refill and is very useful for a weapon that used so much ink. They must really hate the Dyanamo's with all the nerfs.

Carbon Roller got a big nerf with the hit to burst bombs. Deco version would be better, except without burst bombs/inkzooka you can't go after players camping high.

phanphare

Banned
RIP Burst Bombs. They probably did need a slight nerf overall, but increasing the ink consumption up to 40% seems like a big deal. I guess since they buffed the damage radii, what they want is more deliberate Burst Bombing and less spamming.

;_;

Holy shit, these nerfs. That 75% special loss on respawn is going to hurt.
How come the Squelchers get a buff on movement speed? Why ;_;
Reading that Inkstrike buff might make me want to use the new Splattershot even more.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Burst Bomb nerf pleases me greatly since there's not much that pisses me off more than getting killed by an E-Liter spamming Burst Bombs. But I'm pretty scrubby.

J@hranimo

Banned
I still think many are blowing the burst bomb changes out of proportion.

vMZfTWE.jpg

The first three nerfs are specifically for E-liters who abuse burst bombs. That's perfectly ok, even for other weapons that don't abuse then that much.

Although, the last 3 buffs are really exciting. For people who actually use their burst bombs as proper bombs will be rewarded. Also for the only burst bomb rush weapon as of this post, the splattershot, the bomb rush will be fantastic for reclaiming mid and turf in general now. With the ink radius being much larger it will be good.

So, I'm looking forward to it. It will probably end the eBurstBombers but those who actually aim will be alright.

edit: and then PotionBleue explains the same thing I say, that's what I get for typing and pressing post later XD

CO_Andy

Wow they really went all out in trying to make the Inkbrush viable. Except for the Burst Bomb nerf.

edit oh. it uses splat bombs instead. even better! (imo)

Jims

The first three nerfs are specifically for E-liters who abuse burst bombs. That's perfectly ok, even for other weapons that don't abuse then that much.

Although, the last 3 buffs are really exciting. For people who actually use their burst bombs as proper bombs will be rewarded. Also for the only burst bomb rush weapon as of this post, the splattershot, the bomb rush will be fantastic for reclaiming mid and turf in general now. With the ink radius being much larger it will be good.

Yeah, it's a really interesting change they made it them. They really do seem to be specifically targeted at the E-liter spamming.

There are a decent number of weapons where the Burst Bombs are part of a one-two punch for racking up damage. Stuff like the vanilla Slosher, the L-3 Nozzlenose D, or even the Custom Jet Squelcher are decent examples. I know I find these weapons a little difficult sometimes getting that correct Burst Bomb hit. Hopefully, stuff like the Slosh->Burst combo will become more reliable and less finicky after the patch.

J@hranimo

Banned
yeah overall those changes look pretty good to me, only the 25% to 40% ink consumption is going to suck

Geart_Clothing_Firefin_Navy_Sweat.png

This may help a bit.

Yeah, it's a really interesting change they made it them. They really do seem to be specifically targeted at the E-liter spamming.

There are a decent number of weapons where the Burst Bombs are part of a one-two punch for racking up damage. Stuff like the vanilla Slosher, the L-3 Nozzlenose D, or even the Custom Jet Squelcher are decent examples. I know I find these weapons a little difficult sometimes getting that correct Burst Bomb hit. Hopefully, stuff like the Slosh->Burst combo will become more reliable and less finicky after the patch.

I think adapting to it will be fine. Nothing that's all rip burst bombs but for those who aim at opponents they'll do alright. Plus, damage up still helps!

Blues1990

I still think many are blowing the burst bomb changes out of proportion.

vMZfTWE.jpg

So, I'm looking forward to it. It will probably end the eBurstBombers but those who actually aim will be alright.

edit: and then PotionBleue explains the same thing I say, that's what I get for typing and pressing post later XD

As someone who mains the Hero Shot Replica & knows how to use the Burst Bombs, I like the sound of these changes. It will help to put pressure against those who use the blaster-style weapons, as they cause the most annoyance to me.

DaBoss

The special change they did for how certain weapons retain more/less special meter is a very smart way of buffing weaker weapons.

Jims

Anyone got an idea on what I should do with this build? I leveled my 4th piece of triple equipment today (a duplicate Ink Recovery/Ink Saver Sub) and have discovered that 3 of my 4 triples are all in Ink Saver Sub.

I feel like that is the Splatoon gods (or maybe just Spyke) telling me I need to minmax my subweapons.

9Kwux4R.png

(That hat, though.)

So one idea is Point Sensors. I can throw 3 of them pretty comfortably while still having a manageable amount of shooting ink left over. Although do you really need to ever throw 3 Point Sensors? It's unfortunately not quite enough to Double Suction Bomb... Juuuuust barely short. It can be done with a quick tap into the ink, however. Splash Walls get it down to about half a tank and re-fills fairly quickly after the penalty. 2 Disruptors can be thrown very comfortably, with 5 or 6 Tri-Sloshes left over. 5 Burst Bombs can be thrown, but that'll probably go down to 3 soon.

My first instinct is that it could be a good Forge build? Maybe vanilla Nozzlenose? Splash Wall weapons perhaps? Is there any real functional reason to run 9 Ink Saver Subs and ignore everything else?

jdstorm

Banned
Anyone got an idea on what I should do with this build? I leveled my 4th piece of triple equipment today (a duplicate Ink Recovery/Ink Saver Sub) and have discovered that 3 of my 4 triples are all in Ink Saver Sub.

I feel like that is the Splatoon gods (or maybe just Spyke) telling me I need to minmax my subweapons.

9Kwux4R.png

(That hat, though.)

So one idea is Point Sensors. I can throw 3 of them pretty comfortably while still having a manageable amount of shooting ink left over. Although do you really need to ever throw 3 Point Sensors? It's unfortunately not quite enough to Double Suction Bomb... Juuuuust barely short. It can be done with a quick tap into the ink, however. Splash Walls get it down to about half a tank and re-fills fairly quickly after the penalty. 2 Disruptors can be thrown very comfortably, with 5 or 6 Tri-Sloshes left over. 5 Burst Bombs can be thrown, but that'll probably go down to 3 soon.

My first instinct is that it could be a good Forge build? Maybe vanilla Nozzlenose? Splash Wall weapons perhaps? Is there any real functional reason to run 9 Ink Saver Subs and ignore everything else?

Seems like a good use for a charger build. More shooting and less reloading. Otherwise not sure, Lots of grenades?

Moondrop

Banned
I've been practicing Dynamo. I really like the slosher as a main weapon too. Praying that one of them gets a sub/special combo I favor.

Anyone got an idea on what I should do with this build?
Looks like a great seeker build to me. I would go Carbon Deco.

Top Bottom