• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Yeah.

I hate blasters.

(Pardon for my "stupid ignorant foreigner" routine I seem to have going on here. Most of the stuff I end up saying is either sarcasm or irony and littttle bit of truth.)

Not at all man, the 2+2 = 4 got a good laugh out of me. We did good overall tonight. Won most of our matches and I think if we were on discord or had communication. A couple times I wanted to tell you guys about a roller flanking us or to rush a charger. We could've easily beaten some of the S-S+ teams. I didn't think they were that much better than us.

Only one or two that had some surgical Chargers.

Although, especially in Splatzones, if a team gets good position and pushes your team back the match is over. But at one match we were 3 points from beating this A-S on Walleye Warehouse Splatzones, I got confident thinking we were going to win, started hitting Boo Yah, got killed with everyone else. They had the Splatzone at 50 while we had 3 points + 53 left. We ended up losing. That was the match that bothered me the most tonight.

Overall though, had a ton of fun, and we won 60-70% of our matches.

Not at all man, the 2+2 = 4 got a good laugh out of me. We did good overall tonight. Won most of our matches and I think if we were on discord or had communication. A couple times I wanted to tell you guys about a roller flanking us or to rush a charger. We could've easily beaten some of the S-S+ teams. I didn't think they were that much better than us.

Only one or two that had some surgical Chargers.

Although, especially in Splatzones, if a team gets good position and pushes your team back the match is over. But at one match we were 3 points from beating this A-S on Walleye Warehouse Splatzones, I got confident thinking we were going to win, started hitting Boo Yah, got killed with everyone else. They had the Splatzone at 50 while we had 3 points + 53 left. We ended up losing. That was the match that bothered me the most tonight.

Overall though, had a ton of fun, and we won 60-70% of our matches.

Yeah, that match was the worst. We did pretty well, even against some higher ranked teams, but our downfall was the ending of matches where we'd be close but couldn't close it out. I think we got sloppy and tried to get a little too fancy sometimes. I know sometimes I would get overly aggressive towards the end and that would mess things up for me.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Yeah, that match was the worst. We did pretty well, even against some higher ranked teams, but our downfall was the ending of matches where we'd be close but couldn't close it out. I think we got sloppy and tried to get a little too fancy sometimes. I know sometimes I would get overly aggressive towards the end and that would mess things up for me.

So true. It's a trap to which we almost fell when me met one of the three player teams too.

My worst side is rushing. And getting killed. Working on it.

Yep. One match we ended up winning against a A-C team, on Walleye Warehouse, I pushed close to their spawn, pulled out my inkzooka splatted their roller right by their spawn, thought we had a sure win, got killed and all it did was delay the match even further when I should've stayed back, covered the splatzone and the saved the inkzooka for the inevitable re spawn rush. We ended up winning but I should've stayed back. It only delayed the match.

Also did you guys see any beacons the opposing team had when we were playing? I don't know if it was the gear I was wearing but I always see enemy beacons before I spawn and those beacons caused some flanks that caused us the match. "Take out the beacon!", I yelled at my TV but I don't think our team could see them. Those flanks were costly against those S teams that we should've beaten.

Voice chat would've prevented that. Official Nintendo headset when?

Yep. One match we ended up winning against a A-C team, on Walleye Warehouse, I pushed close to their spawn, pulled out my inkzooka splatted their roller right by their spawn, thought we had a sure win, got killed and all it did was delay the match even further when I should've stayed back, covered the splatzone and the saved the inkzooka for the inevitable re spawn rush. We ended up winning but I should've stayed back.

Also did you guys see any beacons the opposing team had when we were playing? I don't know if it was the gear I was wearing but I always see enemy beacons before I spawn and those beacons caused some flanks that caused us the match. "Take out the beacon!", I yelled at my TV but I don't think anyone could see them. Those flanks were costly against those S teams that we should've beaten.

Voice chat would've prevented that. Official Nintendo headset when?

I took out a couple of beacons while I played, and in the later matches I made a point of trying to keep my eye on them because of how we were being flanked. One on Arowana was particularly brutal because we would've had the match if it weren't for them.

Azure J

Just putting out an APB, if anyone has footage of good Octobrushers/Octobrush use/Octobrush tutorials, pass it my way. Time to take this thing seriously.

WVW69iSP53gzmLkodR

With this set up, the .52 feels like a splattershot.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Just putting out an APB, if anyone has footage of good Octobrushers/Octobrush use/Octobrush tutorials, pass it my way. Time to take this thing seriously.

Play it like a krak-on roller, with an added ability to rush to the center fast or run away fast. Basically a krak-on brush. That's how I play it xD I don't know if there's any tutorials out there for it tho

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Anyone think the Dynamo Roller should be nerfed somewhat?

Be it strength, splat length of distance or width. It gets ridiculous at times. I'll use my Krakon Roller and go head to head with any of them but I'll get hit or I'll I see teammates get hit from 10 ft. away with one little splat and splatted. It's ridiculous. At least with the Krakon you have to get up close and personal but the Dynamo windup combined with the damage and length doesn't add up. The Krakon special got nerfed.

Nico_D

Also did you guys see any beacons the opposing team had when we were playing?

Yes, I did. And I too took some of them out. Died once destroying them at Mall where the S team had placed them right beside the middle part. Got jumped.

The problem with destroying beakons is that it takes you away from the zone and maybe getting your team mates killed when they're going 3 vs. 4. And what if they just jump there when you're destroying a beakon - especially a landing roller can finish the task.

Timetokill said:
I took out a couple of beacons while I played, and in the later matches I made a point of trying to keep my eye on them because of how we were being flanked. One on Arowana was particularly brutal because we would've had the match if it weren't for them.

This exactly.

WVW69iSP53gzmLkodR

Hmmm I'm currently testing out the .96 and it seems to click well with me, especially between sprinkler and echolocator. Any idea of what gear abilities to use?

Does that damage up actually change anything though? It still takes to hits for a splat for you, no?

Hmmm I'm currently testing out the .96 and it seems to click well with me, especially between sprinkler and echolocator. Any idea of what gear abilities to use?

Does that damage up actually change anything though? It still takes to hits for a splat for you, no?

I'd imagine what works with the .52 would also apply to the .96 but I don't play with it often enough to say 100% but i have read that ink saver sub is helpful for saving ink after throwing a sprinkler since the .96 eats through ink like you wouldn't believe. As for the damage up, it helps to punch through people wearing defense up gear. Which was oddly common in the lobby I was in yesterday.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
WVW69iSP53gzmLkodR

Woah, someone else who uses the standard .52. It's my favourite in Tower Control and yet I never see it. Would have thought more would use it as both the sub and special and great for that mode. Literally beat TC in kelp dome single handedly with both of those thanks to the final stretch being a straight line and everyone usually just running straight for you from the ramp. Curtain for protection and wailer to kill 'em off.

Everyone and their obsession with getting that third sub. Heh. I understand it can be useful, but man.

Why not just ask your brother for tips on the Octobrush, Azure? =P

Man, I need to try that Sploosh Super Charge Wail shenanigans. =D

No, Spyke, you didn't try your best. Now go get the stuff I ordered.

The Scopes STILL feel weird to me, but I understand how it helps. Truthfully, they are objectively superior, and staying in scope mode for too long is bad playing, making the narrower FOV kinda moot. Still, I do better with the nonscoped ones. Though the Squiffer is a different beast in that its max range enters one of my worst ranges to aim in. I have no idea why that happens the way it does. That's probably why the Squiffer is so fun for me.

I have so many scattered thoughts right now. I blame it being 3:16 in the morning. Ha.

Shun

The last 10 games I played Ranked were fucking 2v4 or 3v4 because some dude keeps disconnecting or rage quitting in the beginning and midway through the match.

They need to address this and penalise players more because I went 2 for 8 and it messed up my rank.

Rize_21

Anyone think the Dynamo Roller should be nerfed somewhat?

Be it strength, splat length of distance or width. It gets ridiculous at times. I'll use my Krakon Roller and go head to head with any of them but I'll get hit or I'll I see teammates get hit from 10 ft. away with one little splat and splatted. It's ridiculous. At least with the Krakon you have to get up close and personal but the Dynamo windup combined with the damage and length doesn't add up. The Krakon special got nerfed.

what you're experimenting is more about the delay than what the weapon actually can do, let's hope for a better netcode in the future because a lot of weapons get away easily with this.

correojon

I´m doing pretty well with the Octobrush in ranked, here are some things that work with this weapon:
  • Always move around a lot: both in inkling and in squid form, so the enemy can´t never be sure of your location. I´m using Ninja squid as it helps a lot with this.
  • Never move in a straight line while inking: even in open spaces like the center of Moray Towers you can evade a charger if you make erratic paths.
  • Never engage enemies directly: always flank them. If your first surprise attempt at killing someone fails, it´s much better to run away than to keep on spamming ZR for the kill, as most times you´ll only get a double splat. Once they´ve lost view of you you can engage again from another direction.
  • This weapon works surprisingly well from heights: get to a high point and make it rain or throw ink over obstacles to hit enemies. It takes a few hits but I´ve killed many people this way, they don´t seem to understand how dangerous the random rain really is.
  • Beacons have many uses: you can use them to stop enemy advancement to important points (most people will stop to destroy it if they see a beacon in the way), to just disperse their attention, as temporary shields...apart from the usual utility of jump points. For example, I usually set 3 beacons in Saltspray Rig when playing SplatZones: one on top of the highest containers, another one on the moving platform and another one just on the ramp accessing this part. If my team is wiped out, the enemy will try to destroy the beacons, usually stopping at the first one in the ramp; this always gives me enough time to superjump from the base to any of the other remaining beacons.
  • Beacons are great to jump to as the enemy won´t see the jump notification, so you can get a lot of surprise splats when landing. Also, if you just plant a beacon instantly as you land an approaching enemy will not know you have just jumped there and will give you the opportunity to surprise him.
  • Keep an eye on your ink before starting a run: you don´t want to get stuck in enemy ink near the enemy´s territory.
  • This weapon is meant to create chaos on the battlefield: make runs into enemy territory just to plant a "useless" beacon and get out in a flash, use Kraken to get deep into enemy turf...be a constant pain to the other team. Always try to attack from the most unexpected place, you have the tools to move fast so don´t be afraid to take long detours if necessary.

Hope you find something useful.

The last 10 games I played Ranked were fucking 2v4 or 3v4 because some dude keeps disconnecting or rage quitting in the beginning and midway through the match.

They need to address this and penalise players more because I went 2 for 8 and it messed up my rank.
Don't assume it is deliberate acts form the players. Its the games netcode resulting in players dropping. Something the v2.0.0 patch did makes some players a lot more susceptible to it now. Dropped players are already penalised by losing points.

Personally, I've avoided ranked completely for now until a fix is found (since I'm susceptible to the problem symptom being mid-match "the connection is unstable" will appear on screen) as I really don't want to go back to C+. Heck in Turf Wars I'm lucky if I can finish two games a day.

I won't stop playing as hopefully Nintendo are able to look at match statistics and see a large increase in <4v4 matches. I'm not too keen on their fairly silent stance so far though aside from the "turn it off and back on again" when the patch first hit (which was a different problem).

Ultimately, I think things they need to do is make the experience more pleasant for the team mates left. Maybe introduce some of the squad battle 3 person mechanics (the 3 person team has fast respwan). Thing is they can't do too much as otherwise players will start dropping deliberately if they are a deadweight.

WALKMAN04

Yea, I won against your team in tower control at moray towers D: I feel the same man, I hate disconnecting in rank today, especially when it's squad where you can't gain points but lose for disconnecting. but at least it's only 2 points lost. On the other hand tho, I only gain 3 or 5 points after every win >__>
Well GG lol, I made a lot of progress yesterday, I'm sitting at S 90, so about 4 straight wins when I play later in the day might do it for me, hopefully everything goes my way and I can make it quick because unlike getting to A+ 99 this run hasn't been as fun.

WALKMAN04

Everyone and their obsession with getting that third sub. Heh. I understand it can be useful, but man.

Why not just ask your brother for tips on the Octobrush, Azure? =P

Man, I need to try that Sploosh Super Charge Wail shenanigans. =D

No, Spyke, you didn't try your best. Now go get the stuff I ordered.

The Scopes STILL feel weird to me, but I understand how it helps. Truthfully, they are objectively superior, and staying in scope mode for too long is bad playing, making the narrower FOV kinda moot. Still, I do better with the nonscoped ones. Though the Squiffer is a different beast in that its max range enters one of my worst ranges to aim in. I have no idea why that happens the way it does. That's probably why the Squiffer is so fun for me.

I have so many scattered thoughts right now. I blame it being 3:16 in the morning. Ha.
Most of my gear I have to mix and match to get 3 sub abilities as the same because Spyke is hardly kind to me, but I don't mind anyway since it's the same thing.

I thought we made it clear that Azure and his brother never talk in real life only on Neogaf and twitch stream chat, so he probably was asking him.

I made the switch to e-liter scoped a while ago, it's not much different then nonscoped
since you should never stay charged for long even if you are waiting for a shot you know you can hit, you might get killed by flanks since you can't see them anymore. I might stay scoped if my team has trouble killing someone and I need to focus on them solely and just trade a kill before I die from the sides. Also the first half a second isn't scoped so you can still get a lot of kills without scoping. Extra range is always great as a charger so I just stick with the scoped e-liter.

WVW69iSP53gzmLkodR

Does killer wail benefit from special duration up? I think the time is constant.

I think .96 doesn't need any damage up to two-shot inklings. .52 with one sub damage up can two-shot someone with one main defense up, the cp value is pretty good IMO.

Does killer wail benefit from special duration up? I think the time is constant.

I think .96 doesn't need any damage up to two-shot inklings. .52 with one sub damage up can two-shot someone with one main defense up, the cp value is pretty good IMO.
yeah just tested it out and damage up only benefits the .52 against defense up enemies.

How is this for a set for .96 gal with sprinkler and echolocator.

1 Inknsaver main
2 ink saver sub
3 Defense up
4 Bomb range up(may want to skip this, as the difference is rather small, but if it means I can reach special places, it may be good to keep)
5 Ink resistence up
6 Swim speed up / Run speed up

R.D.Blax

I had a dream yesterday where whenever I tried to leave my house, I got splatted by japanese Inkzooka, and a really laggy one a that. Like, I was dying before even seeing the shot appearing, or he missed more totally, but was still being splatted. What a nightmare...
I think I'm playing to much Splatoon

Razmos

Is anyone else interested in the possibility of holiday events?
They mention Squidmas quite a few times in game, and it seems totally ideal for Splatoon.

A Squidmas tree in the plaza that you decorate with ink
Squidmas hats
Captain Cuttlefish dressing up as Father Squidmas (this is already canon)
Squidmas music (!!!)
Perhaps also a snow stage (can you imagine ink on snow?)

It needs to happen.

AGoodODST

Is there a difference between what abilities one/two/three star clothing can roll?

Like if I buy a one star top and have Spyke add two slots, can it still roll all the same abilities as a three star item?

The stars don't affect what abilities appear.

The brands have certain affinities to sub-abilities and have sub-abilities that are unlikely to appear. For example, the Inkline brand has a higher chance of getting Defence Up as sub-abilities, but it has a lower chance of getting Damage Up as a sub-ability.

Some brands are neutral all around. There is no brand that favors Bomb Range Up.

Ah, cool thanks.

DaBoss

Is there a difference between what abilities one/two/three star clothing can roll?

Like if I buy a one star top and have Spyke add two slots, can it still roll all the same abilities as a three star item?
The stars don't affect what abilities appear.

The brands have certain affinities to sub-abilities and have sub-abilities that are unlikely to appear. For example, the Inkline brand has a higher chance of getting Defence Up as sub-abilities, but it has a lower chance of getting Damage Up as a sub-ability.

Some brands are neutral all around. There is no brand that favors Bomb Range Up.

Zing

Banned
How is this for a set for .96 gal with sprinkler and echolocator.

1 Inknsaver main
2 ink saver sub
3 Defense up
4 Bomb range up(may want to skip this, as the difference is rather small, but if it means I can reach special places, it may be good to keep)
5 Ink resistence up
6 Swim speed up / Run speed up
The 96 is very slow when shooting, so I find run speed to be a waste. Ink savers are also unnecesary. The 96 is one of my favourites for hunting enemies. I use swim speed, and special charge up and special duration up. This is for turf wars. The gun is mediocre in splat zones and I never use it in tower control.

It charges echolocator extremely fast. Use it and the fast swim speed to track down enemies and splat them in two shots.

A million plus?! How long have you played according to the Activity Log?

I need another Splatfest because I'm already out of snails (only three were used for rerolls), and I have nowhere near that wealth. Thought I was doing okay at 150k.
At higher ranks, you earn 3000+ per win. I get 5500 per knockout now. Turf Wars is pocket change. I made 150k during a single play session last night.

I have three slots on almost every piece of gear in the game now. I have no idea what this has cost. I am also not sure of my play time, but I am almost level 35.

Don't assume it is deliberate acts form the players. Its the games netcode resulting in players dropping. Something the v2.0.0 patch did makes some players a lot more susceptible to it now. Dropped players are already penalised by losing points.

Personally, I've avoided ranked completely for now until a fix is found (since I'm susceptible to the problem symptom being mid-match "the connection is unstable" will appear on screen) as I really don't want to go back to C+. Heck in Turf Wars I'm lucky if I can finish two games a day.

I won't stop playing as hopefully Nintendo are able to look at match statistics and see a large increase in <4v4 matches. I'm not too keen on their fairly silent stance so far though aside from the "turn it off and back on again" when the patch first hit (which was a different problem).

Ultimately, I think things they need to do is make the experience more pleasant for the team mates left. Maybe introduce some of the squad battle 3 person mechanics (the 3 person team has fast respwan). Thing is they can't do too much as otherwise players will start dropping deliberately if they are a deadweight.
http://**************/2015/08/nintendo-working-on-splatoon-connection-issues/

J@hranimo

Banned
How to cure your addiction to Splatoon: play on the Bluefin Depot map 5+ times in a row.

Fun!

Fixed...;D

Honestly with the changes to the Mall with Splat Zones it has bumped up to my 2nd least liked map with Bluefin at the bottom. It's just not that exciting for me overall as a map. TC is cool, but almost every other map for TC is so much better than it.

The 96 is very slow when shooting, so I find run speed to be a waste. Ink savers are also unnecesary. The 96 is one of my favourites for hunting enemies. I use swim speed, and special charge up and special duration up. This is for turf wars. The gun is mediocre in splat zones and I never use it in tower control.

It charges echolocator extremely fast. Use it and the fast swim speed to track down enemies and splat them in two shots..
Yeah swim speed over run speed. But I think ink saver main is needed. Coming from splash o matic I'm used to never running out of ink, but find myself with an empty tank all the time with .96

backlot

Yeah swim speed over run speed. But I think ink saver main is needed. Coming from splash o matic I'm used to never running out of ink, but find myself with an empty tank all the time with .96

Are you running out of ink because you're just firing all the time or because of using the sprinkler? One thing to keep in mind with .96 is that using echolocator totally refills your ink. It can be helpful if you get caught off guard with low ink or just after throwing a sprinkler.

Also don't use bomb range up like some people are saying. It doesn't apply to sprinklers.

I hate that kind of Chinese whispers reporting. That isn't an official statement but a bloody e-mail pasted in a reddit post and it turns out the person had contacted Nintendo UK (but neglected to mention this info in their OP). Now due to their customer services being outsourced (at least this was the case in the past) head office could mean the Nintendo UK office and the not the NOE head office in Germany let alone the NCL office (who are the only ones capable of doing anything here).

But I worry people keep passing that news story around so won't bother to contact say, NOA (as for NCL, you can't contact them as their form needs a Japanese phone number and besides their customer services are on vacation this week).

backlot

So how exactly are people getting Spyke to reroll their gear with 3 slots of the same perk? How is that not cost prohibitive if it's random rerolls?

It's around a 1/33 chance with brand affinity. There's nothing else to spend money on after you buy out the stores so why not?

Top Bottom