• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatterhouse |OT| Blood, boobs, and nostalgia

neogafsplatterhouseofficialbannersmaller.jpg

First ever OT thread... be gentle, also limited resources here at work, but with the release date being today, needed a OT.

Faceoff.jpg
faceoff2.jpg
punch.jpg

Splatterhouse
Platforms: XBOX 360, PS3
Price: $59.99
Developed by: Namco Bandai Games
Release date: November 23rd (TODAY) in the US. November 26th in EU.

Reviews: Incoming

Eurogamer 6/10
Destructoid 7.5
PlanetXbox 8.2
IGN 4.0
Gamespot 4.5

Namco says:
  • The Classic Franchise Returns - An innovative reinvention of a classic category-killer with an original storyline inspired by Gordon Rennie (Necronauts, Judge Dredd)
  • The only game with a combination of massive enemies, over-the-top gore and the ability to regenerate body parts real-time.
  • Inspired from icons of the horror genre, including H.P. Lovecraft & Simon Bisley.
  • AAA reinvention of the famed Splatterhouse title that launched the horror-escape genre and invited the very first parental advisory for a video game (for gore), uniting an existing fan base and recruiting a new one.
  • Supercharged soundtrack with songs from today's most influential Heavy Metal artists.

What is Splatterhouse?: Splatterhouse is a retelling of the classic arcade/turbo graphics Splatterhouse. A side scrolling graphic horror beatem up. Splatterhouse was released back in 1988, and its considered by many to be one of the first games that truly took violence in games to the next level. The game spawned two sequels. Splatterhouse 2 and Splatterhouse 3 both which were only released on the sega genesis console. In the remake, once again we see Rick, Jenny, Dr. West, and the Mask return along with classic franchise enemies making a return.

Why should you care about a game you probably never heard of?: Well if you like the action or horror genre, Splatterhouse combines the two with over the top gore, insane kill moves, heavy metal, and a B horror movie vibe all in one.

Why should you care about the old games if you never played them before... its a remake?!?!?!?:
Luckily for you and fans of the old games, all three originals come unlockable in the game as you progress. The first game is also the arcade version, not the gimped turbogfx edition.

Did you know?: While the remake is a fully fledged over-the-shoulder beatemup, it still retains segments throughout the game that play in classic 2D side scrolling glory! Old fans rejoice!

Why boobs? Throughout the game, Rick find pieces of Jennys pictures. Piece together enough and... well you get the idea.

Wait... this game actually came out? I thought it got shit canned?: Bottlerocket was developing it, Namco didn't approve of something, and they took it back and finished it up themselves in house.

You like shoes? I like shoes. You like Splatterhouse? I like Splatterhouse.: Splatterhouse is so dope, it has its own shoe, modeled after the ones Rick wear in the game. Made by Globe. I actually won a free pair of these bad boys in a contest. They are sick. Not sure if they are worth the price tag though.
splattershoes.jpg

Captain N

A friend of mine has been pumped for this game since it was first announced. I almost wanna try it out, but I will wait for him to finish up with it and let me try it.

I'm picking this up at lunch and will post impressions once I play it later tonight! :D Also going to go live with some impressions on the podcast I do with Scitek tonight as well.

LiK said:
Am I the only one who thinks OP's username is extremely appropriate for this thread?
Now that you mention that... go figure!

Ricker

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm picking this up at lunch and will post impressions once I play it later tonight! :D Also going to go live with some impressions on the podcast I do with Scitek tonight as well.

Looking forward to it...hey Slasher,you still do those little video reviews also?

Ricker said:
Looking forward to it...hey Slasher,you still do those little video reviews also?

I know this is off topic but...

Not so much anymore but on rare occasions. I do a podcast now, and I'm thinking of getting back into written reviews for the website that hosts the podcasts. Though I might be going overseas for a job for a year and if that happens, well, I'll have ALOT of free time on my hands so probably will get back into it.

I plan on doing a written review for Splatterhouse though and might be doing some videos for it as well. I'll post in here if I do.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Luckily for you and fans of the old games, all three originals come unlockable in the game as you progress. The first game is also the arcade version, not the gimped turbogfx edition.

This pretty much sealed the deal for me. :D

Dead to Rights said:
This pretty much sealed the deal for me. :D

Its like four games for the price of one! :D Hell yeah!

_dementia said:
and yeah, this must be the most under-promoted reboot since Golden Axe Beast Rider.

I had no idea this was coming out.

Yeah there has been minor advertising but I see gamefaqs is premoting it hardcore today. So maybe it starts today with all the advertising.

Instro said:
Seriously. Surprised it even got finished, didnt the original dev team get canned while making this?

BottleRocket had it, Namco didn't like what they were doing, took it over, and the rest is history.

andymcc

Banned
wait, is this actually supposed to be good? my friend mentioned it was coming out today and i was seriously surprised. :lol

I don't have enough nostalgia for the old Mega Drive games to make this a day/week one, but I do like them so when there's a price drop and when I have less to play, I may well go for this.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's too bad this game was sent to die having no promotion at all before release (even enough for people to know it was coming out...).

Will be waiting for impressions to see if it's worth picking up once it drops prices, which is assuredly to happen within a few months of release, sadly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is an excellent OP. It is modest but contains both information and media for the game and answers some of the major questions people would have about the game.

I much prefer this approach to "the bigger the OP, the more they'll know that I love them". :)

Stumpokapow said:
This is an excellent OP. It is modest but contains both information and media for the game and answers some of the major questions people would have about the game.

I much prefer this approach to "the bigger the OP, the more they'll know that I love them". :)

Thanks! :)

And guys if you see reviews start coming in, pm me or post in here the score. I'm at work and also blocked to ALOT of sites, that way I can update the OT.

I have a feeling this is going to drop in price/have a big sale faster than Vanquish. I've always liked this franchise but never really got into it and I dont know why? I wanna try but I must wait.

Gonna grab it today or tomorrow regardless of price. This game went through hell to get released and I just find some need to support it.

Anyone know of the differences between the PS3 and 360 versions? Framerate/button response time/vsync? Or are they both fairly similar ala Vanquish?

RedStep

Picked this up, will play after work. K-Mart's got a $30 "gaming coupon" with it, so it's effectively $30. Not bad. It also came with a code for a DLC Survival map and Chainsaw. Not sure if every copy does, but didn't expect that.

jluedtke

Hey OP, it's "Turbografx-16". Just being nitpicky. ;)

Anyway, I just picked it up at Best Buy, but can't play it until after work. My gut says this game's gonna suck, but the trailers make it look so bad ass. I'm a sucker for absurd gore and loved the original games, so I'm hopeful.

Shiggy

Could anyone say something about the studio's current state? Heard something about layoffs/departures last/this month.

I am steering clear of this but those who wish to partake should check out kmart - you get a $30 coupon off your next purchase with splatterhouse.

They are sometimes unreliable about release date stocking (either because of shipments or lazy staff) so you may not find it today but worth a try if you want to use the $30 on another title next week.

Haunted

I can buy Splatterhouse branded shoes, but not Jorts? Missed opportunity.

Wario64 said:
I had no idea the game was coming out this week.
Yep, both Splatterhouse and Majin are sent to die by Namco Bandai this week.

shuri said:
The original arcade game got axed in America because of how insanely violent it was for the time...

To be honest, the original games aren't necessarily shining examples of great gameplay. I'm actually kind of surprised to see no mention of Howard Drossin being associated with the project. He's worked on some really great titles.

SillyPuty

RedStep said:
Picked this up, will play after work. K-Mart's got a $30 "gaming coupon" with it, so it's effectively $30. Not bad. It also came with a code for a DLC Survival map and Chainsaw. Not sure if every copy does, but didn't expect that.

Does that gaming coupon have certain dates on it? I'd like to use it on Black Friday :D

Top Bottom